Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Option 3... Oh you're self employed huh? ...... Welp. :(
the self-employed or otherwise unqualified will still be eligible for the federal benefit

but On the sad side I think another care home got hit today. Too late I guess stopping care workers doing shifts at more than one facility. I can imagine some form of future controls on this generally after this crisis.
this province has a long history of cuts to healthcare. i have some strong feelings on that

There are definitely a lot of people who fall through the cracks, but I think self employed people qualify for the same benefit.

Being Self employed, and not qualified for unemployment. Not sure there is anything in the bill for the 10's of thousand's of Self employed small business owners. Other than loans.

the self-employed or otherwise unqualified will still be eligible for the federal benefit

I’m in a situation where I’m okay right now, but also, this isn’t a good spot for a lot of people who aren’t in a similar spot.

But the question is, was it done to save the small business? “Hey, I can’t pay you or we’ll lose the company entirely. If I lay you off, you can collect unemployment and then when safe to come back, I just hire you back.”

How many of those cases are true?

it’s tougher to bring people back into the workforce than keep them there.

the senators who opposed the stimulus because ui payments could > normal wages were trying to prevent this. i think they lost.

my honest opinion is that the families first response act has a lot of businesses scrambling to fire people now before it goes live on april 2 (or may 1 if dol grants a 30-day noncompliance grace period). fire them now, so they can’t force you to pay 12 weeks of wages at 2/3 pay with zero productivity. beefing up ui payments makes that termination even more tenable.

the cares sba loan thankfully has an employee retention requirement to secure full loan forgiveness.

selfishly, i hate that this is taking me away from immediately billable work to answer 1,000 questions from clients i know can’t afford to pay me right now. i get that’s harsh, but i got bills to pay too.

This will be huge, especially if it can be deployed for healthcare workers and/or for screening tests to help with determining who needs to quarantine:

I've got to look at that Stimulus Bill all weekend.

God punishes all of us in strange ways.

This will be huge, especially if it can be deployed for healthcare workers and/or for screening tests to help with determining who needs to quarantine:

I think there was an analysis published that said even with a test with a crazy high false negative rate plus quarantine does a ton to stop the spread. So this is great news, if the rate of testing can increase along with reporting at the minutes instead of days/weeks timeframe.

it’s tougher to bring people back into the workforce than keep them there.

the senators who opposed the stimulus because ui payments could > normal wages were trying to prevent this. i think they lost.

my honest opinion is that the families first response act has a lot of businesses scrambling to fire people now before it goes live on april 2 (or may 1 if dol grants a 30-day noncompliance grace period). fire them now, so they can’t force you to pay 12 weeks of wages at 2/3 pay with zero productivity. beefing up ui payments makes that termination even more tenable.

the cares sba loan thankfully has an employee retention requirement to secure full loan forgiveness.

selfishly, i hate that this is taking me away from immediately billable work to answer 1,000 questions from clients i know can’t afford to pay me right now. i get that’s harsh, but i got bills to pay too.

I'm not in your shoes, but I know that emails would be way better than phone calls in this situation, and tell them it may be 3-4 business days to get a response. That way you can prioritize the important from the not quite as important

Wow, that is unreal fast for any sort of test.

I am lucky, but my mom is a hairdresser, my dad works in retail, and my sister works at a gym - it hasn't been a fun couple weeks. And that's the thing that sucks - because of a bunch of bad decisions by pretty much everyone, we're where we are. And it sucks.

And with honesty, I get where you're coming from. There's a lot of work going on to find ways to track/trace people, and I'm optimistic there will be a path out of this with some kind of approach in that vein, along with finding antivirals that work well. But for now, we're still largely flying blind. The goal here is to buy time.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

Here's Dr. Fauci: " If one assumes that the number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.”

Dr. Fauci at times gives a rather wide guidance, way more alarmist on CNN, and maybe that’s by design.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

Here's Dr. Fauci: " If one assumes that the number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.”

Dr. Fauci at times gives a rather wide guidance, way more alarmist on CNN, and maybe that’s by design.

Yeah, it's strange - a lot of the biology between SARS and the new coronavirus is very similar (hence the SARS-CoV-2 name) but it's definitely far less severe. Part of it is a tradeoff - it it comes on stronger, it doesn't spread as easily (people aren't so mobile). On the flip side, those similarities open up re-investigating some of those SARS therapeutics towards this.

And I absolutely agree that we'll see low numbers if the hospitals aren't overrun. And that's what I'm hoping for.

CBUS represent*

*they may have other labs too...but a main one is in Columbus.

I agree with this. Glad we put the 14 day in place for those coming into the state from the Tri-State area.
Still have no idea how that is enforced, but its a good start.

My thought is a simple one. If every single person in this country (had the means) stayed in their home for a full 15 days, never left, no contact, etc. We could probably be done.

Is that possible? No, but its a wish.
The Canadian new Employment Insurance ( what we now call "Unemployment Insurance") protections a least short-term are supposed to cover the gig/self-employed . From what I remember from the very recent announcement it will cover those who had $5000 income the prior year. Once it's in for them, I don't think it can be taken away. There are also to be some mortgage defferals for people for five months, but I read today some are po'd that the banks wiill still accrue the interest as it stands now.

That's Federal. The Province where Army Golf and I live (BC) for example has offered such as rental rate freezes, no evictions.

This really is moving so fast for everyone it's hard to keep track...and I've been trying to do so . It's so hard to believe that just over three weeks ago I was golfing in Palm Springs, and it's just two weeks since new measures happened in BC. I spoke to friends this week with whom my wife and I golfed at the very beginning of March. It seems such a long time ago.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's strange - a lot of the biology between SARS and the new coronavirus is very similar (hence the SARS-CoV-2 name) but it's definitely far less severe. Part of it is a tradeoff - it it comes on stronger, it doesn't spread as easily (people aren't so mobile). On the flip side, those similarities open up re-investigating some of those SARS therapeutics towards this.

And I absolutely agree that we'll see low numbers if the hospitals aren't overrun. And that's what I'm hoping for.
I’m with you here 100%

45 yr old white male takes us through his coronavirus ...

this province has a long history of cuts to healthcare. i have some strong feelings on that

Oh yeah... the cuts have been deep at times. I know those long-term care workers aren't making a lot of dough and that's why they may work at more than one facility (private or otherwise). I'm just saying that possible migrant transmission to another facility if there is a known contagion in a particular facility in light of this situation is something I expect the govt. will review later.

Aside..,.I was on a Harbour Air seaplane to Victoria the day after Gordon Campbell (a past Premier, years ago) announced some big health cuts. He was on the plane, right behind me in about a twelve-seat plane. At that time he only had a female exec assistant with him, no security. The mood on that plane even before take-off was real tense, that I took to be him being on the plane right after that. The flight was rough with some unexpected winds and a rough and bouncy water landing. It was all I could do to not proclaim " thank goodness we made it and didn't have to go to hospital". In a couple of later flights that I was on the same time as him he had a plainclothes RCMP guy with him . Presumably that was after he was accosted by teachers on a Westjet flight after Education cuts.

Last edited:
Plugged today's COVID Tracking Project numbers into the spreadsheet, and used Excel's trendline function to fit an exponential curve to the last seven days of hospitalizations and deaths. The red numbers are forecasted for tomorrow's report based on the fitted curves.

COVID 200327.png

The project data shows over 100,000 tests administered for the second straight day. Just about one-third of all tests administered in the US have been given in the last two days.

not sure if @JB regrets being my friend because i’m admitting i didn’t know this until now, but this handwashing video has forever changed my life. i’ve been doing it wrong for 40 years. better late than never?

Wow

well this is super interesting and IMO helpful, especially when talking about super infectious viruses. Shows where in the county the confirmed cases are.
2D77EB64-3697-4C68-9CFB-8E72C1E93BAB.png

A SARS-CoV-2 virus particle, known technically as a virion, is about 90 nanometres (billionths of a metre) across—around a millionth the volume of the sort of cells it infects in the human lung. It contains four different proteins and a strand of rna—a molecule which, like dna, can store genetic information as a sequence of chemical letters called nucleotides. In this case, that information includes how to make all the other proteins that the virus needs in order to make copies of itself, but which it does not carry along from cell to cell.

The outer proteins sit athwart a membrane provided by the cell in which the virion was created. This membrane, made of lipids, breaks up when it encounters soap and water, which is why hand-washing is such a valuable barrier to infection.

The most prominent protein, the one which gives the virions their crown- or mine-like appearance by standing proud of the membrane, is called spike. Two other proteins, envelope protein and membrane protein, sit in the membrane between these spikes, providing structural integrity. Inside the membrane a fourth protein, nucleocapsid, acts as a scaffold around which the virus wraps the 29,900nucleotides of rna which make up its genome.

My home course posted yesterday that they would have security on the course and it was off limits to everyone. They will still be able to do normal maintenance so at least they can keep the course in good shape while closed.

WA state also clarified that all new residential and commercial construction will cease during the Stay at Home order. My friend who owns a large roofing company said the fine if caught working on new construction can be up to $50,000.

well this is super interesting and IMO helpful, especially when talking about super infectious viruses. Shows where in the county the confirmed cases are.
View attachment 8934111
You were up early today.

Interesting how the Eastside is more heavily affected. The first cases in the county were in those zip codes.

We’re up to 100 cases here, including one in the local Walgreens just down the street. Although we’ve been shelter in place for 2 weeks now, testing has been way too slow. Shelter in place has extended till the 12th, and the government is limiting which vehicles can transit streets (odd numbered license plates certain days, even numbered for the other days).

I still think they were late to enforce anything in ports. Temperature monitoring should have been done at a minimum for tourists on cruise ships. But in general government response here has been better than some other places imo.

A SARS-CoV-2 virus particle, known technically as a virion, is about 90 nanometres (billionths of a metre) across—around a millionth the volume of the sort of cells it infects in the human lung. It contains four different proteins and a strand of rna—a molecule which, like dna, can store genetic information as a sequence of chemical letters called nucleotides. In this case, that information includes how to make all the other proteins that the virus needs in order to make copies of itself, but which it does not carry along from cell to cell.

The outer proteins sit athwart a membrane provided by the cell in which the virion was created. This membrane, made of lipids, breaks up when it encounters soap and water, which is why hand-washing is such a valuable barrier to infection.

The most prominent protein, the one which gives the virions their crown- or mine-like appearance by standing proud of the membrane, is called spike. Two other proteins, envelope protein and membrane protein, sit in the membrane between these spikes, providing structural integrity. Inside the membrane a fourth protein, nucleocapsid, acts as a scaffold around which the virus wraps the 29,900nucleotides of rna which make up its genome.
I took a 400 level genetics class for my science elective when I was in college. The things I learned about virus's and cancer have been really helpful during my lifetime. I am glad I took this class. Basically what a virus does is attach itself to cells in your body and insert it's RNA (in a way it's prgramming to create copies of itself) into your cells. Then the RNA starts to run through your cells ribosome (the constructor of new cells in your body) and make copies of the virus. Eventually the cell is full of the virus's it bursts releasing them into your system to do the same on more cells. Your immune system eventually catches on and goes around killing cells engaged in creating new virus's. Very fascinating stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back