Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry to say I have just had my first death of a customer from the COVID-19. Being in insurance, I expect I will have way too many of these calls over the next couple of months. So sad. The worst part of my job is this.

There is also the large increase in sulfur dioxide emissions (detected by satellite) in Hubei province during the peak of the outbreak, during which many businesses were shut down. The SO2 has been explained as coming from burning bodies - human and/or animal. I agree that 21 million is a very big number for any change, even in China.
Articles explain that Hubei has 7 places that perform cremations. Their capacity puts them at @40-45K cremations per week.

Some stats for ages and pre-existing conditions from WorldoMeter.

View attachment 8934383View attachment 8934384
You have to wonder how much is the pre-existing condition and how much is simply age. For example, this says 10.5% mortality for heart disease however 46% of males 70 and older have heart disease vs 4.3% for those 18-44. So you're roughly 10 times more likely to have heart disease when you're 75 and the difference in mortality is roughly 10 times. Is the difference because of the pre-existing condition or age? If it was all due to the pre-existing condition of heart disease you would expect a mortality rate of 4.5% for all males 18-44 and you don't. It's similar for diabetes where you're roughly 8 times more likely to have diabetes at 75 vs those 35-44 which more than covers the entire discrepancy in mortality. An unscrupulous person could even argue that having diabetes helps prevent COVID deaths because while you're 8 times more likely to have diabetes at 75, you're only 7 times more likely to die. But that's just random fun with statistics. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, along the lines of old people tend to be frail and have health problems for a variety of reasons, therefore they're more likely to be adversely affected by any disease, meaning that the pre-existing condition might be a contributing factor (or even just another symptom!) but there's little direct causal relationship between pre-existing condition and COVID mortality when controlling for age. I'm not claiming that I know or that this is the case, l'm just thinking out loud while looking at these numbers.

My company went full on disaster mode today. Furloughs, pay cuts for our salaried staff, reduced hours for hourly personnel.

Lost 3 direct reports to temporary furlough and my salary is being reduced. We have about 3K employees in total.

Can't remember if it was on here or actually in FB, but someone from a medical examiners office stated that even if someone died for heart issue, or an accident, etc, if they tested positive for covid that it was still being counted in the death toll

That's messed up..

That said, wife went to Costco, got there 930 for 10am opening, long line around the building, and sold out of tp very quickly .. just the Scott butthole sandpaper one is left I think

You have to wonder how much is the pre-existing condition and how much is simply age. For example, this says 10.5% mortality for heart disease however 46% of males 70 and older have heart disease vs 4.3% for those 18-44. So you're roughly 10 times more likely to have heart disease when you're 75 and the difference in mortality is roughly 10 times. Is the difference because of the pre-existing condition or age? If it was all due to the pre-existing condition of heart disease you would expect a mortality rate of 4.5% for all males 18-44 and you don't. It's similar for diabetes where you're roughly 8 times more likely to have diabetes at 75 vs those 35-44 which more than covers the entire discrepancy in mortality. An unscrupulous person could even argue that having diabetes helps prevent COVID deaths because while you're 8 times more likely to have diabetes at 75, you're only 7 times more likely to die. But that's just random fun with statistics. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, along the lines of old people tend to be frail and have health problems for a variety of reasons, therefore they're more likely to be adversely affected by any disease, meaning that the pre-existing condition might be a contributing factor (or even just another symptom!) but there's little direct causal relationship between pre-existing condition and COVID mortality when controlling for age. I'm not claiming that I know or that this is the case, l'm just thinking out loud while looking at these numbers.

In New Orleans, diabetes is the number one correlated disease for Covid 19 deaths. Only 5% of deaths there have no pre existing conditions. I guess it’s shouldn’t be a surprise that those with poor health make up the vast majority who can’t recover from this virus.

By Katherine Mozzone | March 27, 2020 at 9:57 PM CDT - Updated March 27 at 9:57 PM
NEW ORLEANS, La. (WVUE) - New numbers from the Louisiana Department of Health paint a clearer picture of the toll COVID-19 is taking on the state.
They indicate Orleans and Jefferson Parishes now lead the country in virus-related deaths.
In Orleans, that amounts to nearly 15 for every 100,000 residents.
Out of all COVID related deaths in Louisiana, only 5-percent were patients without preexisting health conditions. 41-percent had diabetes, 31-percent had chronic kidney disease and 28-percent were obese.
The numbers are surprising to some, but not Assistant Professor of Epidemiology at Tulane's School of Public Health Susan Hassig.
“Diabetes is a very common condition in Southeast Louisiana and Louisiana as a whole. We have a high prevalence of diabetes in our populations,” Hassig said.
Hassig says diabetics are more likely to become seriously ill from COVID-19 because of the complications diabetes can cause.

Can't remember if it was on here or actually in FB, but someone from a medical examiners office stated that even if someone died for heart issue, or an accident, etc, if they tested positive for covid that it was still being counted in the death toll
That's how Italy said they were counting deaths too. Not sure why they feel that's the way to go. I'm also unclear on why we're supposed to be hoarding TP. Sounds like something that would get its start on FB but I'd love to know.

and just got word that one of our senators and his wife have tested positive. He's been battling cancer so that is pretty damn scary. Hopefully he pulls through.

and just got word that one of our senators and his wife have tested positive. He's been battling cancer so that is pretty damn scary. Hopefully he pulls through.

I heard on the radio he is in Albany Med and is expected to pull through.

View attachment 8934394
This is at least promising...
The numbers for Sunday increased a bit, so that the # of new cases is now slightly higher than Saturday's total:

Due to delayed and incomplete reporting from New York State, we had to make adjustments to yesterday's totals in order to maintain the correct attribution of historical figures. US figures for Sunday, March 29 could still be incomplete.

WOW......

Interesting: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...s-walk-off-the-job-demand-to-make-ventilators

On Monday, General Electric factory workers launched two separate protests demanding that the company convert its jet engine factories to make ventilators. Workers protested at GE's Lynn, Massachusetts aviation facility held a silent protest, standing six feet apart. Union members at the company’s Boston headquarters also marched six feet apart, calling on the company to use its factories to help the country close its ventilator shortage amid the coronavirus pandemic.

These protests come just after General Electric announced it would be laying off 10 percent of its domestic aviation workforce, firing nearly 2,600 workers, along with a “temporary” layoff of 50 percent of its maintenance workers in a bid to save the company "$500 million to $1 billion.” This news came as Congress stood ready to pass a multi-trillion dollar corporate bailout that would include at least $50 billion in federal assistance and $25 billion in loans and temporary tax relief for the aviation industry, as well as a further $17 billion for federal assistance to companies deemed "crucial to national security" (e.g. defense contractors like Boeing or General Electric).

Virginia is now a stay at home order.

and yet people still not only believe everything the media says but insist they are not cutting corners and completely fake bs most of the time. such crap

School closures extended here until May 1st. Seems optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back