Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the news will hold today. I tend to only get bits and pieces of it cause most of the time it is so full of crap. I was wondering today how this will change this country.

Well, we just got the notice that many of our staff get to work from home 3/5 days per week, given they have video capabilities on home computers.... Well, everyone except me and management, get to be here every day

It wasn't just the US that wasn't ready. No one was. A heads up from the Chinese government back in November would have been a big help. Even WHO downplayed it at first.
Lol what? The first case in China was not identified until mid-december. They alerted the WHO by the end of December and the information was passed to the U.S. by January 3rd. The CDC issued it's first warning on January 15th. Trump called it a hoax and didn't acknowledge it "might be serious" until March 9th. The Chinese government is repressive and appears to have been misleading the world about it's numbers but it alerted the world to what was coming pretty promptly. Many countries and some U.S. states had great responses and got this under control as best as they could. I don't want to make this political but we need to identify our own shortcomings so we can avoid the same mistakes in the future and finally get on top of this pandemic. Trying to blame this on China is pretty damaging to the conversation. In regards to China lying about their numbers (which is terrible), evidence strongly suggests the US engaged in similar behavior trying to limit testing so that "our numbers" wouldn't go up.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't just the US that wasn't ready. No one was. A heads up from the Chinese government back in November would have been a big help. Even WHO downplayed it at first.
E1A6B3C2-5922-4C17-B04D-8294D8FC0109.jpeg
I keep thinking about this tweet...

Lol what? The first case in China was not identified until mid-december. They alerted the WHO by the end of December and the information was passed to the U.S. by January 3rd. The CDC issued it's first warning on January 15th. Trump called it a hoax and didn't acknowledge it "might be serious" until March 9th. The Chinese government is repressive and appears to have been misleading the world about it's numbers but it alerted the world to what was coming pretty promptly. Many countries and some U.S. states had great responses and got this under control as best as they could. I don't want to make this political but we need to identify our own shortcomings so we can avoid the same mistakes in the future and finally get on top of this pandemic. Trying to blame this on China is pretty damaging to the

conversation. In regards to China lying about their numbers (which is terrible), evidence strongly suggests the US engaged in similar behavior trying to limit testing so that "our numbers" wouldn't go up.
[/QUOTE]

EE1C02A2-C7A5-4BA3-A0A6-9380A4BFCAD7.jpeg
Just stop ... This is from the WHO on 1/14/20...

Lol what? The first case in China was not identified until mid-december. They alerted the WHO by the end of December and the information was passed to the U.S. by January 3rd. The CDC issued it's first warning on January 15th. Trump called it a hoax and didn't acknowledge it "might be serious" until March 9th. The Chinese government is repressive and appears to have been misleading the world about it's numbers but it alerted the world to what was coming pretty promptly. Many countries and some U.S. states had great responses and got this under control as best as they could. I don't want to make this political but we need to identify our own shortcomings so we can avoid the same mistakes in the future and finally get on top of this pandemic. Trying to blame this on China is pretty damaging to the conversation. In regards to China lying about their numbers (which is terrible), evidence strongly suggests the US engaged in similar behavior trying to limit testing so that "our numbers" wouldn't go up.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/...s-intelligence-says?__twitter_impression=true

Then there is this report...

View attachment 8934865
[/QUOTE]
That was a stupid tweet and a huge mistake. The US intelligence agency was warning about a global pandemic around the time of this tweet. Senators were engaged in insider training on the information by January 24th while lying to the public about it. As I said China is a repressive government that likely put out a bunch of inaccurate information. That doesn't mean the US didn't know what was coming.

Fourteen COVID patients from NYC area now in Albany Medical Center, our flagship regional hospital, about 150 miles north of NYC.

I don't see anyway to engage in this chain without getting political so I'm going to sign off and stick to the other golf related content on here. I would urge moderators to start warning the original posters who are starting the political debate. Blaming this on China, the media, liberals, new yorkers etc. is a political post that is going to receive political responses. I hope everyone here stays safe and healthy, I'll see you all on the golf forums.

Fourteen COVID patients from NYC area now in Albany Medical Center, our flagship regional hospital, about 150 miles north of NYC.

Thankfully, for now, they have the beds available in Albany.

Colorado just extended the closing of all schools from 4/11 to 4/30. Was speaking the AD of the HS my daughter goes to & he said they are worried about spring sports now. :(

Texas announced stay at home for all except essential services through April 30. Schools closed until May 4th.

Colorado just extended the closing of all schools from 4/11 to 4/30. Was speaking the AD of the HS my daughter goes to & he said they are worried about spring sports now. :(
They were still trying to have spring sports? I thought most states had already stopped those a few weeks back.

View attachment 8934865
That was a stupid tweet and a huge mistake. The US intelligence agency was warning about a global pandemic around the time of this tweet. Senators were engaged in insider training on the information by January 24th while lying to the public about it. As I said China is a repressive government that likely put out a bunch of inaccurate information. That doesn't mean the US didn't know what was coming.
[/QUOTE]

The WHO doesn’t reverse their stance on Human to Human transmission until 1/21. They don’t declare a Global Emergency until 1/30.

On 1/28 the SOTH says that we shouldn’t ban travel to & from China.
The POTUS banned travel on 1/31 to and from China.
During the SOTU on 2/4 the POTUS mentions working with China about the Coronavirus. The SOTH tore the speech up.

China absolutely lied.

and the US really did nothing for a while even after knowing about it...soo....I mean look at states still just getting on board. especially FL, which housed one of the biggest hot spots in the country with Miami, and they didn't even shelter in place until now.

We have been SIP for about week. Schools have been closed for over 2. Non-essential businesses have been closed. Overall, I think Florida is doing fairly well, considering all of the circumstances. People are taking it seriously here, for the most part. Also, our projected peak period is not until May.

Miami Dade issued it 6 days ago for them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

And Broward county. Miami-Dade (2.7M) and Broward (1.9M) contain around 21% of Florida's population, but only about 6% of Florida's total land area. So locking those two counties down was significant. The cows in Ocala still need to be milked twice a day, as the saying goes.

Well...to be honest...because you move as fast as your slowest citizens. And people have shown they will not listen unless told. It's the same reason why there has to be a warning label on a snowblower that says "don't use this on your roof".
I believe that most people don't listen, even when told. Florida is a very big state, and there is not a huge density in many of the counties.

And lawyers are the reason those labels exist.

It's scary to wonder what the real number is.

The speculation from some of the Chinese doctors before they got silenced was 30x to 50x the “official” numbers. With their population being four times the size of the U.S. it’s easy to believe that their deaths so far are 150,000 not the 3,200 they are claiming. We will never know.

They were still trying to have spring sports? I thought most states had already stopped those a few weeks back.
Sorry, I meant Fall sports. But they were still trying for a short spring season IF we had stayed with the 4/11 return date. But now that it's 4/30 they will definitely cancel spring sports as well.

Sorry, I meant Fall sports. But they were still trying for a short spring season IF we had stayed with the 4/11 return date. But now that it's 4/30 they will definitely cancel spring sports as well.
makes more sense. I feel so bad for seniors in high school. I can't imagine my senior year being taken away like that. I wouldn't have cared so much about the school part haha, but missing my senior year of lacrosse would have been devastating.

We have been SIP for about week. Schools have been closed for over 2. Non-essential businesses have been closed. Overall, I think Florida is doing fairly well, considering all of the circumstances. People are taking it seriously here, for the most part. Also, our projected peak period is not until May.

And Broward county. Miami-Dade (2.7M) and Broward (1.9M) contain around 21% of Florida's population, but only about 6% of Florida's total land area. So locking those two counties down was significant. The cows in Ocala still need to be milked twice a day, as the saying goes.

I don’t disagree that locking down south Florida was a smart play based on their infection rate. If the majority of cases were down there, and none were in the panhandle for example, locking down all doesn’t always make sense. It feels smarter to let the county commissioners decide based on the local situation.

I don’t disagree that locking down south Florida was a smart play based on their infection rate. If the majority of cases were down there, and none were in the panhandle for example, locking down all doesn’t always make sense. It feels smarter to let the county commissioners decide based on the local situation.
I think it just starts a weird situation like Texas had when they started doing it - where someone lives in county A but works in county B. County A is shut down, but county B isn't...and then where do you stop that? Not really helping the spread of an extremely transferable virus if your county is shut down but you travel daily to a county that isn't.

Georgia following suit.

Statewide Shelter in place order. Schools shut down for the remainder of term.

The holdout on why Gov Kemp did not want to put in statewide restrictions was due to the divide between Rural and Urban communities and instead letting local leaders institute closures as needed. At this point it looks like that didn't really matter. All the major cities have already been under shelter in place orders for weeks and it still spread throughout the state.

Just because there aren't any signs of the virus isn't a reason to let things carry on as normal

Locking it down before you get cases is the only way to prevent the spread in an area - by the time you see the first case in an area it is already way too late do anything to contain it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back