Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t disagree that locking down south Florida was a smart play based on their infection rate. If the majority of cases were down there, and none were in the panhandle for example, locking down all doesn’t always make sense. It feels smarter to let the county commissioners decide based on the local situation.
I was agreeing with you. It made sense to lock down Miami and Broward at that time, but not the rest of the state.

We agree on a lot of things, like when you agreed with me that hitting a driving iron on a par 4 into strong headwind was the right call.

I think it just starts a weird situation like Texas had when they started doing it - where someone lives in county A but works in county B. County A is shut down, but county B isn't...and then where do you stop that? Not really helping the spread of an extremely transferable virus if your county is shut down but you travel daily to a county that isn't.
Just because there aren't any signs of the virus isn't a reason to let things carry on as normal

Locking it down before you get cases is the only way to prevent the spread in an area - by the time you see the first case in an area it is already way too late do anything to contain it
Georgia following suit.

Statewide Shelter in place order. Schools shut down for the remainder of term.

The holdout on why Gov Kemp did not want to put in statewide restrictions was due to the divide between Rural and Urban communities and instead letting local leaders institute closures as needed. At this point it looks like that didn't really matter. All the major cities have already been under shelter in place orders for weeks and it still spread throughout the state.

What Giles said. It's a Rural vs Urban debate. Do you shut down the rural if the urban has the issue, and the rural is on the complete opposite side of the state? Or do you let the local government make the call, because what happens in Miami may not be anything like what happens in Dixie, FL.

I was agreeing with you. It made sense to lock down Miami and Broward at that time, but not the rest of the state.

We agree on a lot of things, like when you agreed with me that hitting a driving iron on a par 4 into string headwind was the right call.

Still the best call ever made haha

Still the best call ever made haha
I am 100% going to go back and do it again this summer, presuming the course opens. You should come watch.

What Giles said. It's a Rural vs Urban debate. Do you shut down the rural if the urban has the issue, and the rural is on the complete opposite side of the state? Or do you let the local government make the call, because what happens in Miami may not be anything like what happens in Dixie, FL.
In my opinion, yes, as it then prevents the possibility of spread

Geography plays no part as it only takes 1 person to make the journey, and who is to say that someone from the neighbouring county hasn't already visited the rural area?

If you want to truly keep somewhere clear then it has to be shut down before it can become infected

I know I am not going to be popular.with my thoughts on this, but I stand by my thinking on what needs to be done to try and minimise a situation that is way worse than a lot of people seem to realise (or accept)

Yes, the economy will suffer, but if this situation isn't dealt with first it will be even worse

Today's graph update of national COVID data from https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily/

I will likely refit the data in a new chart. This one says that compared to the path we were on Mar 21-27, we have gained about two days on hospitalizations and one day on deaths. Still ugly, but the trends are a little more favorable. I'm not going to try to model the apexes of the curves, but isolation is doing something on a national level.

COVID Apr 1.png

In my opinion, yes, as it then prevents the possibility of spread

Geography plays no part as it only takes 1 person to make the journey, and who is to say that someone from the neighbouring county hasn't already visited the rural area?

If you want to truly keep somewhere clear then it has to be shut down before it can become infected

I know I am not going to be popular.with my thoughts on this, but I stand by my thinking on what needs to be done to try and minimise a situation that is way worse than a lot of people seem to realise (or accept)

Yes, the economy will suffer, but if this situation isn't dealt with first it will be even worse

And that’a alright friend, I don’t mind if we disagree. I do see your point of one person spreading it. I just assume people would have common sense in that if they don’t feel well, stay home. Yes you have the asymptomatic people, but they are really messing up in that hey man, show you’re sick and quit being sneaky sick!

Georgia is going into a shelter in place beginning Friday at noon. Up until now the state has been practicing social distancing with all dining rooms closed but drive-thru and take out remaining operational. Not exactly sure what the shelter in place rules are going to be at this point.

Georgia is going into a shelter in place beginning Friday at noon. Up until now the state has been practicing social distancing with all dining rooms closed but drive-thru and take out remaining operational. Not exactly sure what the shelter in place rules are going to be at this point.

Order supposed to be released tomorrow. Today was just the announcement.

I'm really curious to see what remains open. Golf courses I'm not sure will make the cut.

I'm really curious to see what remains open. Golf courses I'm not sure will make the cut.

If courses can force people to stay away from each other, there's a fighting chance. Single carts, everyone stay a flagstick away, don't touch the flagstick etc.. It is doable

Kinda hard to say. I think some states have allowed it, but others have not. I could be wrong on that though. Wording on some of the orders allow for "exercise while practicing social distancing" so golf could be allowed. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

I don't think we have seen the worst of this. Hopefully it will peak sooner rather than later.

The safest I have felt all week between my office, grocery; gas station, house, and golf course was the house as 1.a and the course as 1. b.

the courses in AZ that are open are doing a wonderful job adhering to social distancing. In fact, if I don’t have some outlet like golf, I am not sure the house will feel safe for everyone. I was on quarantine from March 15 until March 29 and played the minute I could.

How my soul yearns for a simpler time,
When lighthearted thoughts were present in mind,
SpeedZone vs Mavrik; on-course testing pushed out,
Let's all dig in and give COVID a rout.

⛳

ABC7

An engineer deliberately ran a train off the tracks at high speed near the Port of Los Angeles in an attempt to crash into and damage the USNS Mercy hospital ship, prosecutors say.

The Pacific Harbor Line train derailed Tuesday, running through the end of the track and crashing through barriers, finally coming to rest about 250 yards from the docked naval ship.

Federal prosecutors allege train engineer Eduardo Moreno, 44, of San Pedro intended to hit the ship, saying he thought it was "suspicious" and did not believe "the ship is what they say it's for.'"

Governor Sisolak has now extended closures to April 30th and activated the Nevada National Guard. Martial law could be just around the corner. Since the next two weeks are crucial with the expectation of the coronavirus hitting its apex, it's going to be a very long month of April. Stay safe, stay home.

Kinda hard to say. I think some states have allowed it, but others have not. I could be wrong on that though. Wording on some of the orders allow for "exercise while practicing social distancing" so golf could be allowed. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

There's really no reason not to leave golf courses open. I mean, other than me shooting the worst score I've put up in years today, there was nothing remotely dangerous about me being out on the course with my boy. We never came within 60' of any other players... much less 6'.

streets getting blocked off to be used as drive thru testing sites...people that pay all their bills with money orders just keep rolling into the post office....

Actually a little relieved tonight, after reading more about the C.E.R.B. that comes active on the 6th of April.
Has me much less worried about a potential job loss due to all this, and will provide some relief for the wife who is currently at home with no income!

Im still in the camp that golf courses could and should remain open. Its hard to think of another recreation that can be performed while maintaining good social distancing while also offering some stress relief of being out ion nature as well as generating some productive economics. Imo its a win win win withing these difficult times.
A 4some can play a whole round while never entering each others personal space and in fact spend most that time many yards apart. Not to mention the next group being a couple hundred yrs away. Pro shops can maintain really good distancing as well. All rounds prepaid, no reason to come in close contact with anyone. No cart rentals, flags remain in all the time, shallow holes, prepaid with no personal exchanges between anyone. Everything done with very little to no personal contact at all. You can drive to a course, check in and play in a 4some and never come within 6 feet of anyone. And in fact spend most that time many yards apart. Even grounds crews are 99% the time separated even in normal circumstances they are alone and acres apart from each other. . In its own small but major way generates cash flow , taxes, etc and allows for an out for so many people yet without the distancing risks of so many other things.

Actually a little relieved tonight, after reading more about the C.E.R.B. that comes active on the 6th of April.
Has me much less worried about a potential job loss due to all this, and will provide some relief for the wife who is currently at home with no income!

That’s good to hear. Now, if only the weather were better for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back