Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually saw someone interviewed on CNN from the commission that was involved with that report that the WH is using state that their actual figure was 80,000 if every state enabled the sate at home measures this week. I wish I remember the context of the comment or could find it online to share.
I was going by the links I posted... 🤷‍♂️
But it appears that a lot State by State projection is way off.

I have a question. If one contracts COVID-19 and then recovers, are they clear from getting it again like measles?

Florida folks, your governor thinks it is still ok to convene in mass at church even though he finally put in the orders.

Check your own state : )
And that article is completely political and not really what is taking place here (in fact not even remotely, but thats Huff for you).

EDIT: I see you edited your post since I quoted this.
There are a whole bunch of states that allow it. While it's not my thing, it would be very hard to control that with some of the other things allowable.

I have a question. If one contracts COVID-19 and then recovers, are they clear from getting it again like measles?
I'm not sure if anyone is 100% sure. I've heard many scientists suggest this is an adapting virus like the flu so that you can get it again if it has adapted. I've also heard this refuted.

We've had some awkward conversations with medical reps involving our CPB and ECMO oxygenators with a certain company adopting a practice that appears to be price gouging... when times are better we may cut ties with them completely.

I was going by the links I posted... 🤷‍♂️
But it appears that a lot State by State projection is way off.
I get it. It adds to the confusion, The WH states between 100k and 240k deaths are possible and then someone else states their actual projections was if certain things happened. I wasn't following the interview closely but I remember after seeing it thinking, "where does the 100,000-240,000 number come from then?"

It is such a guessing game and nobody knows because there are so many unkown things. I sort of feel like everyone is making educated guessed based on the limited date they have an everyone is using different assumptions.

Check your own state : )
And that article is completely political and not really what is taking place here (in fact not even remotely, but thats Huff for you).

EDIT: I see you edited your post since I quoted this.
There are a whole bunch of states that allow it. While it's not my thing, it would be very hard to control that with some of the other things allowable.
Except mega-churches who continue to meet in places like Tampa and there is one apparently in southern Ohio doing the same thing.

Except mega-churches who continue to meet in places like Tampa and there is one apparently in southern Ohio doing the same thing.

Happened once, the guy got arrested and released a statement today saying service is shut down.

Don't get me wrong, that was AWFUL, I was the first one to post the article about him in here. People like that are the problem, I was furious. I just want to make sure the facts are posted.

Happened once, the guy got arrested and released a statement today saying service is shut down.

Don't get me wrong, that was AWFUL, I was the first one to post the article about him in here. People like that are the problem, I was furious. I just want to make sure the fact are posted.

GolferGal beat me to it.
But the guy went to jail over it here. #HuffBeingHuff

Don't get me wrong, that was AWFUL, I was the first one to post the article about him in here. People like that are the problem, I was furious. I just want to make sure the facts are posted.
GolferGal beat me to it.
But the guy went to jail over it here. #HuffBeingHuff
I get it. I wish we could all be smarter about it and I frankly wish the government could force them to comply but they seem to be choosing to leave them out of the orders because they'd rather not fight the legal fight. Undertsanding the spirit of what we all want, nobody is telling anybody they can't follow their religious beliefs. Just don't do it in person in large groups.

I get it. I wish we could all be smarter about it and I frankly wish the government could force them to comply but they seem to be choosing to leave them out of the orders because they'd rather not fight the legal fight. Undertsanding the spirit of what we all want, nobody is telling anybody they can't follow their religious beliefs. Just don't do it in person in large groups.

which is why I despise articles like that. At best it’s I’ll informed, at worst it’s making a bold political statement cloaked in news which is sadly the norm.

We've had some awkward conversations with medical reps involving our CPB and ECMO oxygenators with a certain company adopting a practice that appears to be price gouging... when times are better we may cut ties with them completely.
This is an ugly, ugly time to get greedy man, wow.

Hate to see that.

Hate to see that.

Price gouging during state of emergencies is reprehensible. Any business that does it should be prosecuted.

Hate to see that.
I liken it to people that raise their prices right after a Tornado. I ended up with a customer because a Contractor raised his price to them because there was a tornado in the next town to ours. He was going to sign a contract with him. But the contractor raised his price $15 grand because there was going to be so much work.
I'm glad I got the job. They were wonderful to build for.

I just don't get it. People are not taking this seriously enough, people seeking to capitalize on this pandemic and those who don't have a clue.
I've said it before, it's better to be 6ft apart than 6ft under.

I'm going to be blunt. No. I've read reports of people getting "reinfected." But are they really getting reinfected? Maybe not. Why? Because the virus has already mutated into a few different strains. It's what viruses do.

You won't get the strain you had previously. It's like the flu in that way. You'll have an immunity to that strain. How many strains of flu are there? How many different cold viruses are there? Some strains will be worse than others. They won't to be able to keep things shut down forever.

But if we put this in perspective, when my brother and I were little we had to worry about things like polio. I got one of the first polio vaccines in the early 1950s. Then the sugar cubes came later. And as recently as 1967, there were 15 million cases of smallpox every year. It had a fatality rate of 30%. Smallpox killed an estimated 300 million people last century alone. Coronavirus is nowhere near as dangerous as smallpox.

Stay at home order. But for 30 days. The curve flattens then they'll open up the economy and the curve will steepen again. They won't be able to keep the world economies shut down for months. Maybe they'll have treatment by then. Maybe they'll have a vaccine for this strain, but there will be another strain. We're going to have COVID season in addition to flu season now. It's a new reality.

https://www.breitbart.com/national-...hoot-them-dead/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

“Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte issued a “shoot to kill” order to police officers on Wednesday for anyone they see violating Chinese coronavirus quarantine orders.”

👀

Unfortunately this isn’t the first time he’s authorized/encouraged government forces to kill civilians.

On a brighter note I was finally able to get paper towels today! I can finally clean up that spill from last week!

Report Them - On Thursday, the Justice Department announced it is activating a central fraud hotline (1-866-720-5721 or disaster@leo.gov) and has ordered U.S. attorneys across the nation to appoint special coronavirus fraud coordinators.

...... Between 7m and 43m. Way to narrow down the range there fellas.
Agree, but even if the lower is correct it would throw all the current percentages out the window. Just something we won't know until an antibody test is made available and people take it.

I'm going to be blunt. No. I've read reports of people getting "reinfected." But are they really getting reinfected? Maybe not. Why? Because the virus has already mutated into a few different strains. It's what viruses do.

You won't get the strain you had previously. It's like the flu in that way. You'll have an immunity to that strain. How many strains of flu are there? How many different cold viruses are there? Some strains will be worse than others. They won't to be able to keep things shut down forever.

But if we put this in perspective, when my brother and I were little we had to worry about things like polio. I got one of the first polio vaccines in the early 1950s. Then the sugar cubes came later. And as recently as 1967, there were 15 million cases of smallpox every year. It had a fatality rate of 30%. Smallpox killed an estimated 300 million people last century alone. Coronavirus is nowhere near as dangerous as smallpox.

Stay at home order. But for 30 days. The curve flattens then they'll open up the economy and the curve will steepen again. They won't be able to keep the world economies shut down for months. Maybe they'll have treatment by then. Maybe they'll have a vaccine for this strain, but there will be another strain. We're going to have COVID season in addition to flu season now. It's a new reality.
I've seen doubts on people being "reinfected" and whlle I've seen scientific date regarding mutations of the virus, it seems the differences between them are minimal.

"The SARS-CoV-2 virus first began causing illness in China sometime between mid-November and mid-December. Its genome is made up of about 30,000 base pairs. Humans, by comparison, have more than 3 billion. So far even in the virus's most divergent strains scientists have found only 11 base pair changes."

I'm no medical expert but this doesn't sound like much of a difference. For comparion, it sounds like identical twins may share more genetic differences than this but in the scientific world they are stil considered identical. All indications I can find make it sound like this mutates pretty slowly and once we get a vaccine in place we'll be able to stay ahead of it each year, much like the standard flu vaccines people get every year.

My company is taking necessary steps to get through this storm, and it's not easy. That's an understatement, of course. But scary nonetheless.

Hate to see that.

If Amazon, eBay and the like can crack down on price gouging then the government can too; blacklist that company from ever dealing with them again.

The sad reality however is that at this time, the medical profession needs the equipment in order to keep their staff safe. Maybe the cheque gets lost in the mail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back