Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm struggling a little bit with something... there is work pressure, justifiable pressure due to unforeseen network traffic increases. Have been in some calls that teeter along the line of what's professional. The latest executive order from the governor (started this past Monday) does clearly allow for network growth. The project I assist on is not in isolated cell sites though, it's a densification program where we install cement poles in the right of way, a lot of times right in front of houses, and their radios remotely connect to a hub where the processor and routers are housed, basically splitting the cell site equipment in two locations. There is no way to maintain social distancing among construction crews, and their work area is very much exposed.

I have to ask crews to get out there, when honestly I wouldn't be doing it. And by putting them in a potentially unsafe spot, I'm exposing their families and possibly extending the reach of the contagious disease. Frankly, you feel like absolute 💩💩💩 through this.

That's a tough situation. I hope you and the crews can somehow be safe.

Everybody does realize that with the exception of properly fitted N95 mask the reason to wear a mask is so you don't infect someone else. We don't need people walking around with masks made out used jack straps without practicing all the other stay safe techniques thinking they are being safe and actually putting themselves at greater risk.

Excerpts from this article.

In Thursday’s White House press briefing, Dr. Deborah Birx, coronavirus task force response coordinator, stressed that the updated guidance was an “additive” protective measure and not meant as a substitute. “When the advisory comes out… if it comes out… it will be an additive piece,” Birx said.

Cloth masks are less effective than medical masks, but their use, even if imperfect, is better than nothing at helping limit the spread of the virus. In one prescient small 2013 study examining the efficacy of homemade masks in the event of a flu pandemic, researchers recommended cloth masks “be considered only as a last resort… but it would be better than no protection.”

That research, published by Cambridge University Press, found that both homemade cloth masks and traditional surgical masks “significantly” reduced the amount of potentially infectious droplets expelled by the wearer, though surgical masks were three times better for preventing transmission. Because homemade masks are less disposable than medical masks, they should be washed after use to get rid of infectious droplets.

I'm struggling a little bit with something... there is work pressure, justifiable pressure due to unforeseen network traffic increases. Have been in some calls that teeter along the line of what's professional. The latest executive order from the governor (started this past Monday) does clearly allow for network growth. The project I assist on is not in isolated cell sites though, it's a densification program where we install cement poles in the right of way, a lot of times right in front of houses, and their radios remotely connect to a hub where the processor and routers are housed, basically splitting the cell site equipment in two locations. There is no way to maintain social distancing among construction crews, and their work area is very much exposed.

I have to ask crews to get out there, when honestly I wouldn't be doing it. And by putting them in a potentially unsafe spot, I'm exposing their families and possibly extending the reach of the contagious disease. Frankly, you feel like absolute 💩💩💩 through this.

The only way I see to look at this is as if everyone in the crew and the crews families are all in the same "family group". They need to understand that their families need to be hyper-vigilant to decrease risk because if Employee A's kid gets it, then Employees' B through Z's families will be exposed, too.

Good luck and God bless.

And just like that I now have a lot more time on my hands. Will be home with the wife for the foreseeable future.

Both of us are now working from home until policies change. All of our trips are now canceled until end of August. Hoping travel restrictions dont last that long.

For those wondering golf courses are allowed to remain open, but after discussions with my wife I will not be partaking. Guess I'll get my irons and wedges dialed in in the garage.

My daughter works for a Regional Food Bank that serves almost half of the land mass of NYS. Their report for COVID Week 3 notes that food distributions have increased 40% since this started.

Yep, working on it but nothing since they said that a week or so ago. I talked to my buddy who the chair of our greens committee and he confirmed with our superintendent today that MN is not allowing maintenance crews to mow. One of only 3 states in the U.S. that has that restriction.

He is worried about the greens if they can't mow soon as it's warming up fast and things are greening up. Conditions for golf here are normally great by the 3rd week of April. We will have to wait to see if they use some common sense and let the mowers out.

On a bright note, the kitchen at our CC is open and doing very well with their curbside pick up. They also have groceries available for pick up.
That is incredibly asinine. So, not only will they lose out on the revenue during the closure. But, they will have to spend additional money and resources to get the overgrown course in playing shape. No idea how long that would take. I know there are a lot worse things to worry about during this time. But, I am just tired of the disregard for the economic impact. A one size fits all approach isn't the only answer. There are ways for some places to operate all while adhering to the CDC guidelines. The worst thing is, for how much this frustrates me, I am but a small voice that will get ignored as far as the lawmakers are concerned.

That's a tough situation. I hope you and the crews can somehow be safe.
The only way I see to look at this is as if everyone in the crew and the crews families are all in the same "family group". They need to understand that their families need to be hyper-vigilant to decrease risk because if Employee A's kid gets it, then Employees' B through Z's families will be exposed, too.

Good luck and God bless.
Thanks guys. I'm relatively safe, working from home. Just don't like exposing others...

Oh no. I fear thats going to happen more and more
Our governor decided on June 10th from the start which many thought was crazy at the time

Maintaining public good courses should be considered essential.

Maintaining public golf courses should be considered essential.

Thanks guys. I'm relatively safe, working from home. Just don't like exposing others...
I have guys going to critical facilities keeping equipment running. I am delivering PPE’s and going over safety with them all the time. I do feel a responsibility for them and do everything in my power to keep them safe. It is a tough spot to be in on both sides.

Careful.

NYC is not the same as Downstate, and neither of them are the same as Upstate. It's a very different world north of Westchester County.

Couldn’t have stated it any better.

I mentioned this yesterday... The State by State projections are way off when compared to the actual hospitalized data.
Thoughts?

The projections of the model is only as good as the data that goes into it. As Dr. Fauci has been saying, the confidence intervals in any model are calculated as if NOTHING changes. It can go either way.

The projections of the model is only as good as the data that goes into it. As Dr. Fauci has been saying, the confidence intervals in any model are calculated as if NOTHING changes. It can go either way.

I agree with this, because relatively modest changes in assumptions change the outcomes radically.

Regarding mask usage:

Wearing something other than nothing is important. Reusing PPE (as many hospitals have been forced to do) is incredibly dangerous, so companies doing what they can to add more masks to the mix is a good thing.

I work for a large healthcare regulatory company that has constant contact with the CDC. We are not far away from requiring masks for all citizens when venturing into public establishments.

Sounds like my wife’s hospital has now mandated all providers wear both masks and face shields.

I agree with this, because relatively modest changes in assumptions change the outcomes radically.

The challenge here will be how people react and behave once the weather gets warmer across the country. Illinois, for example, has been cooped up indoors for the winter anyway... but now it's averaging 50 degrees.

Well this sucks. Woke up with a 101 fever and now I have body aches, and headache. Waiting in the parking lot of the doc in the box but pretty sure all they will do is tell me to stay home for 14 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well this sucks. Woke up with a 101 fever and now I have body aches, and headache. Waiting in the parking lot of the doc in the box but pretty sure all they will do is tell me to stay home for 14 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a tough situation but hang in there. Good that you'll be able to get some medical attention.

I mentioned this yesterday... The State by State projections are way off when compared to the actual hospitalized data.
Thoughts?
It seems like "all beds needed (projected)" should equal the number hospitalized on a particular day, at some point, right? Data assimilation seems to be lacking in some manner.

Mississippi had 402 hospitalized on 4/2 as of 6 pm CT, according to covidtracking.com data. The projected "all beds needed" for COVID patients is 887.

New York has 23,696 hospitalized as of 11 am today. The projection shows they need 61,057 beds today.

New Mexico had 31 hospitalized as of 4/2; projected beds needed was 213.

What am I missing here?

Edit: covidtracking.com has changed how they list hospitalizations since I posted this, splitting it into 'current' and 'cumulative' numbers. NY's cumulative number was 23,696, of which 14,810 were listed as 'currently hospitalized'. The spread between hospitalized and projected beds needed is even larger this way.

Last edited:
It seems like "all beds needed (projected)" should equal the number hospitalized on a particular day, at some point, right? Data assimilation seems to be lacking in some manner.

Mississippi had 402 hospitalized on 4/2 as of 6 pm CT, according to covidtracking.com data. The projected "all beds needed" for COVID patients is 887.

New York has 23,696 hospitalized as of 11 am today. The projection shows they need 61,057 beds today.

New Mexico had 31 hospitalized as of 4/2; projected beds needed was 213.

What am I missing here?
You aren’t missing anything, the projection is overstating both the number of cases & hospitalizations.

That is incredibly asinine. So, not only will they lose out on the revenue during the closure. But, they will have to spend additional money and resources to get the overgrown course in playing shape. No idea how long that would take. I know there are a lot worse things to worry about during this time. But, I am just tired of the disregard for the economic impact. A one size fits all approach isn't the only answer. There are ways for some places to operate all while adhering to the CDC guidelines. The worst thing is, for how much this frustrates me, I am but a small voice that will get ignored as far as the lawmakers are concerned.

@tahoebum that is nuts. How long does it take to lose a green once you stop mowing it, and have to reinstall completely? I don't know the answer, but it can;t be more than a few weeks?

@tahoebum that is nuts. How long does it take to lose a green once you stop mowing it, and have to reinstall completely? I don't know the answer, but it can;t be more than a few weeks?

I'm hopeful common sense will prevail. Our course will be mowing before that happens with or without permission from the state and take whatever fines and penalties ensue. We just spent $1.9 million on a renovation and are seeing stupidity prevail. We are only asking to have one person mow on 165 acres.

Last edited:
I'm hopeful common sense will prevail. Our course will be mowing before that happens with or without permission from the state and take whatever fines and penalties ensue. We just spent $1.9 million on a renovation and let stupidity prevail. We are only asking to have one person mow on 165 acres.

Ha ha, I'd like to see the calculation on the fine vs. the cost of replacing all the greens on a course. Talk about needless collateral damage, the fines and loss of maintenance both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back