Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hopeful common sense will prevail. Our course will be mowing before that happens with or without permission from the state and take whatever fines and penalties ensue. We just spent $1.9 million on a renovation and let stupidity prevail. We are only asking to have one person mow on 165 acres.

Ours is going to just mow fairways and greens. Just two employees. I'm sure someone will call into the State. But without income. Loosing even one green would be catastrophic. We had an idiot drive on one of the greens a few years ago and it was quite expensive to fix it to the standards of the other greens. Mine is a public course and I know there are a few people that would love to see it closed. As they are at every counsel meeting objecting to its budget.

Ours is going to just mow fairways and greens. Just two employees. I'm sure someone will call into the State. But without income. Loosing even one green would be catastrophic. We had an idiot drive on one of the greens a few years ago and it was quite expensive to fix it to the standards of the other greens. Mine is a public course and I know there are a few people that would love to see it closed. As they are at every counsel meeting objecting to its budget.

I think the budget problem is real and different than a private course with no budget issues not being allowed to mow. Both are sad for golf but and it's more proof on how tone-deaf politicians and governments can be.

I'm hopeful common sense will prevail. Our course will be mowing before that happens with or without permission from the state and take whatever fines and penalties ensue. We just spent $1.9 million on a renovation and are seeing stupidity prevail. We are only asking to have one person mow on 165 acres.
That seems perfectly safe.

I think the budget problem is real and different than a private course with no budget issues not being allowed to mow. Both are sad for golf but and it's more proof on how tone-deaf politicians and governments can be.
Our club Pro told me he will mow it himself if that what it takes.

Man. How will the hotspots ever subside if people keep ignoring the warnings?

View attachment 8935177
So they allow the trains to be packed and then whine to the federal government that they don't have enough facilities/equipment to treat those that get infected?
I don't blame those that could in fleeing that city.

The golf industry is being absolutely ravished right now.
Layoffs are happening everywhere, and it is simply a microcosm of what is going to (and is happening) to the entire economic system as a whole.

This will ravish the entire nation as much as any virus ever could.

Agreed. My buddy has two brothers that are 3rd generation dairy farmers and they are dumping all their milk. It’s a logistical problem with delivery but sad to see 6,000 gallons a day from one farm get dumped into the fields each day. You can’t shut their 560 dairy cattle off.

If we go into a prolonged depression many more deaths and lives will be impacted than the direct human cost from the virus.

Agreed. My buddy has brothers that are 3rd generation dairy farmers and they are dumping all their milk. It’s a logistical problem with delivery but sad to see 6,000 gallons a day from one farm get dumped into the fields each day. You can’t shut his 560 dairy cattle off.

If we go into a prolonged depression many more deaths and lives will be impacted than the direct human cost from the virus.

Why dump all the milk?

My flu test came back negative and since they are only testing at risk people I guess I’ll ride this out for 14 days. I can guarantee this thing is wayyyyy more widespread than they are saying. Which is a good thing since that would lower the mortality rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The golf industry is being absolutely ravished right now.
Layoffs are happening everywhere, and it is simply a microcosm of what is going to (and is happening) to the entire economic system as a whole.

This will ravish the entire nation as much as any virus ever could.

The worst part is we are only what, 2-3 weeks into lockdown and staring at another 5-8 weeks or more? Shudder to think what a month from now is going to look like.

I want to hear economic stats at all if these briefings as much as I do virus related. At least, that may motivate the holdouts to adhere to the recommendations. I listened to our governor talk today. He said people would get help. Well, give some details. If they're willing to plunge us into a recession I would love hear their plan on getting us back out of it.

Why dump all the milk?

Because it’s perishable and the co-op can’t take it. The supply chain has been disrupted with all the institutions that are no longer ordering. Schools and colleges were about 10% of milk purchases as an example. Restaurants are about 50% of food purchases and many are shut down. Distribution and supply chain cannot react instantly to the unforeseen crisis that we are living through.

Except its not them I worry about...Well it is, but its also every single person they come in contact with. So maybe NY as a whole, should get a big wall.
Not NY as a whole but maybe New York City. I live in Erie County in upstate NY and you dont see that type of conduct here people are good about following the rules. Its tough on everyone but people are doing what they have to do to help get through this. What is incredible is that Cuomo issued an executive order today saying he will be seizing ventilators and other medical equipment from other parts of the State and take them to NYC. Needless to say that has not gone over well with local officials including our County Executive who said thats not gonna happen, it would leave us short. The whole situation is becoming surreal.

Last edited:
Because it’s perishable and the co-op can’t take it. The supply chain has been disrupted with all the institutions that are no longer ordering. Schools and colleges were about 10% of milk purchases as an example. Restaurants are about 50% of food purchases and many are shut down. Distribution and supply chain cannot react instantly to the unforeseen crisis that we are living through.

Makes sense. Just seems like there's gotta be a better way to get rid of it than dumping it. Maybe not in the short term, but I'd hope that new arrangements could be made, if even at a reduced cost to keep from wasting all that valuable commodity. Maybe not, but I'd like to think it could be done.

Except its not them I worry about...Well it is, but its also every single person they come in contact with. So maybe NY as a whole, should get a big wall.

Not NY as a whole but maybe New York City. I live in Erie County in upstate NY and you dont see that type of conduct here people are good about following the rules. Its tough on everyone but people are doing what they have to do to help get through this. What is incredible is that Cuomo issued an executive order today saying he will be seizing ventilators and other medical equipment from other parts of the State and take them to NYC. Needless to say that has not gone over well with local officials including our County Executive who said thats not gonna happen, it would leave us short. The whole situation is becoming surreal.

I'm no fan of our Governor, but his Executive Order allow him to relocate up to 20% of the [excess] inventory. (I believe "excess" was in there.) Upstaters with long memories have plenty of reasons to fear the unintended consequences of this action.

I'm no fan of our Governor, but his Executive Order allow him to relocate up to 20% of the [excess] inventory. (I believe "excess" was in there.) Upstaters with long memories have plenty of reasons to fear the unintended consequences of this action.
Relocate is just a way to say seize which is exactly what he is trying to do. And who decides what is “excess” . Our local hospital administrators have already said they need what they have and will unfortunately need it in the weeks to come. Cuomos “executive” order should not withstand a challenge in Court. And to claim he will use the National Guard to accomplish this pretty much speaks for itself.

Attachments

• 6F51CC2E-2863-4EAD-8D69-E72CDE3CA35C.png
    6F51CC2E-2863-4EAD-8D69-E72CDE3CA35C.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 22
OMG a DM reference.

Who doesn’t love them some demolition man? One good movie... for reasons.

Have a joy joy day!

The subject of his seizure of ventilators and ppe came up in his news conference today. When asked by a reporter, he commented that seizure was too harsh of a word.

Let's refrain from using the term Fake News, it borders on political and I really want to keep the politics out of this. Thank you.
[QU

Was going pm you this, but, on another forum I post on (hhockey) mods put "wwarnings" on either the topic title or at the totop of every page. This is ,llong thread and people wander in not knowing about previous warnings. Just a sugsugestion...[/QUOTE]

Was going pm you this, but, on another forum I post on (hhockey) mods put "wwarnings" on either the topic title or at the totop of every page. This is ,llong thread and people wander in not knowing about previous warnings. Just a sugsugestion...

Or...we can stop making a serious health and economic issue political and remember this is a golf forum.

Or...we can stop making a serious health and economic issue political and remember this is a golf forum.

That wasn't really my point. Point is, and I've seen it few times in thread, people have wandered in this nearly 200pg thread not knowing there have been warnings.

Also, there is a very thin line between politics and info on the topic. For example, if someone posts a link with information from MSNBC or Fox, it kind of at that point is political without even trying to be political.

Anyways...nnot my forum. Not my rules. (y)

I'm hopeful common sense will prevail. Our course will be mowing before that happens with or without permission from the state and take whatever fines and penalties ensue. We just spent $1.9 million on a renovation and are seeing stupidity prevail. We are only asking to have one person mow on 165 acres.
Ha ha, I'd like to see the calculation on the fine vs. the cost of replacing all the greens on a course. Talk about needless collateral damage, the fines and loss of maintenance both.
I am going to guess that most private clubs have at least one decent litigation attorney and perhaps even a judge as a member. May want to consider filing an injunction and challenging the decision as to the course. I am sure the county itself is maintaining certain public spaces, why would this be any different? I bet they will allow you that small, one person exception rather than risking a more substantial ruling. I hope this came across as helpful, I don't even know what day it is at this point. I meant it to be helpful.

That wasn't really my point. Point is, and I've seen it few times in thread, people have wandered in this nearly 200pg thread not knowing there have been warnings.

We are aware and that is why we have A great group of moderators.

man, I didn't even think about it -- because locally here, they are blitzing through milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back