Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
just heard a doctor/physician/whatever he was (on the Today show) say that between 18-40K people die each year from seasonal flu...

My friend had to cancel both a work trip and vacation to Japan due the outbreak, but nothing much else I've seen locally in Tucson.

I know they canceled a lot of the Far East tournaments for DoDEA schools out in Japan/Korea

I'm a hazmat tech /WMD/CBRNE guy so just like the ebola thing....work gets very busy with things like this.

My Dad just asked me if I was worried about traveling (via car) with him and a buddy to go golfing in Myrtle later this month.
Uhhhhhhhhh.... no?

Plane rides though? Mask up, yo.

yeah, I do have some reservations about my soon-to-be daughter in-law and grandson flying from DC to TX here soon

My Dad just asked me if I was worried about traveling (via car) with him and a buddy to go golfing in Myrtle later this month.
Uhhhhhhhhh.... no?

My g/f is flying out of LAX today...she has a mask ready to go.

The cynic in me tells me that it is in every state already and lack of awareness are playing a role in finding out.
The germ hater in me wants to boil myself every hour.
Aon.....the company i work for and you know well, just sent a worldwide email banning all unnecessary travel GLOBALLY. This may not mean much to anyone else on this forum but those people should know this is a massive company and this affects the daily business model substantially. They'v applied the ban globally through April 1st with the likelihood of extending it through the end of April.

Looks like ill be doing a lot more conference calls and skype meetings.....

Fascinating webite here from Johns Hopkins......

Its literally a live "Sick Map" of the global cases.

Nothing here yet, but we are flying out on the 18th to go to Disneyland & I will be stocking up on the hand sanitizer & wipes. From what I've heard mask do you no good & soap & water is more effective then sanitizer.

Seen the first person here driving his car wearing a mask. Don't think there are any cases in my province yet. :unsure:

I’m out of hand sanitizer for my office (something I use all the time) at the wrong time. No store has any.

Check Sams Club if you have them. The near me was loaded.

Nothing here, dont think there is any cases here in NM yet

The next 2 weeks may be interesting(hope not), but, it's been here (Seattle, WA) for a while. It seems some places are less busy than normal, so, I would say the rush for cleaning supplies is on, but, other economic activity is starting to slow down - parking garage at the mall had more empty parking spots than normal.

Me personally, not so much. But I have a lot of clients who send personnel and products all over the world so I’m spending a lot of time discussing how insurance policies will respond to a potential situation. I’d say a couple of calls every day.

Here, so far not at all.

What is hand sanitizer?

Check Sams Club if you have them. The near me was loaded.
It may be cheaper to have me pay you to buy a few and ship them to me. Sadly, that is the truth in the DC area right now. Insanity

Haven't heard of anything around here. I heard an "expert" on the radio discussing how you must wash your hands. It was wild, talking about the back of your hand, sides, brush for so long under the fingernails and that anything else really doesn't do anything. I thought to myself, I don't know anyone that scrubs like that except surgeons. She even said the regular hand sanitizer was basically a waste of time.

Vegas is tourist destination. Especially Asian, and Pacific Rim visitors. I totally expect that eventually the virus will show up here. It maybe here already. News like this is usually kept quiet for as long as possible, so as not to scare people into not coming here.

We have not noticed any differences. Nothing in the local news very much.

I read a person died from the coronavirus in Washington State. Also read that other people are catching it without leaving their local neighborhoods.

A few people are wearing masks around here. We have noticed some signs in windows asking people wearing masks to remove them. I assume this has something to do with preventing criminal activities. That said, people are still wearing their masks, and the stores are not enforcing their signage.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I read that there are several different versions of this virus. Also, that it's origins can be traced back to lizards, and snakes.

Not much yet except my wife has to put in extra time over the weekend on a few work calls planning for all of this as she works in upper management for the largest healthcare insurance company in the U.S. that also has their own clinics and is one of the largest providers of prescription drugs. Luckily any of her travel outside the U.S. has been canceled for the next few months.

I've seen a lot of panic in the media but people need to calm down and keep things in perspective. The regular flu this year has infected over 20 million in the U.S. and killed over 20,000, a "normal" flu season. The U.S. also had the Swine Flu in 2009/10 where 60 million Americans were infected and 12,469 died from it.

Uhhhhhhhhh.... no?

Flying to Myrtle on Wednesday and I started thinking about this yesterday. I might have to go look for masks.

The cynic in me tells me that it is in every state already and lack of awareness are playing a role in finding out.
I think it's widespread in the US. Healthy folks get a cold from it and the media hype has made people believe it is the worst thing since polio so I think many people that have it don't think they have it because they aren't that sick.

In general though a church friend said his employer laid off all but a skeleton crew because they distribute electronic components and their shelves are empty due to Chinese suppliers being shut down. Any word yet on stuff like this from the OEM's?

We all look at each other every time someone coughs but other than that a bunch of hype so far. Msm gonna msm u know what I mean. Good thing the President locked down the incoming flights early on otherwise we would probably be in worse shape.
Masks and stuff u can get off Amazon about a week to 10 days out if u want or still need.
Local food stores shelves are fully stocked by me. No rush on the food stores. We’ve had plenty of warning to take orderly trips and not Walmart on Christmas the stores.
All in all compared to some other countries (cough China) so far so good.

Not even lack of awareness. They weren't testing people who had symptoms until recently, and even then the test was flawed. You can't find what you're not looking for.

I've heard that a judge with Akron muni court is quarantined having just gotten back from Italy with her daughter, who is sick. no word on what sick it is yet.

We're flying to Florida in 2 weeks and I don't have any reservations about going...no mask either as, according to the officials, they're next to useless if you're not sick/contagious anyway.

I think it's widespread in the US. Healthy folks get a cold from it and the media hype has made people believe it is the worst thing since polio so I think many people that have it don't think they have it because they aren't that sick.

In general though a church friend said his employer laid off all but a skeleton crew because they distribute electronic components and their shelves are empty due to Chinese suppliers being shut down. Any word yet on stuff like this from the OEM's?

Yes, healthy people seem to be doing OK, but the symptoms are more severe than a cold, especially in the elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions as compared to the common cold. And people with mild cases can spread it to others. And even those that are healthy can end up with pneumonia.

Is it apocalyptic? No, but even having what amounts to two different flus circulating at the same time, which is an outcome we could end up seeing, would severely stress healthcare systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back