Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was the 2nd in a row with particularly good weather. Recent COVID19 projections in my state have been good. I definitely saw more people out and about today than any other during the SIP.

Average age of deceased due to Corona is 86 as of now in Minnesota.

Is it true NYS peak is behbehind them?

Michael Burry mentions the suicides as well. While famous for his investment insight, he‘s a doctor who got his MD from Vanderbilt and says “Universal stay-at-home is the most devastating economic force in modern history, and it is man-made. It very suddenly reverses the gains of underprivileged groups, kills and creates drug addicts, beats and terrorizes women and children in violent now-jobless households, and more. It bleeds deep anguish and suicide.”

You can read his whole take here: https://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/mar...ockdowns-in-tweetstorm/ar-BB12gVGQ?li=BBr5HCU

It's tragic. :sick:

Today 486 highest death toll... Ohio is about to eiose 5,000 confirmed cases soon.

That might be the stupidest way to multiply I've ever seen. The "before", not the "after". No wonder every single one of my HS students is helpless without a calculator.

Forget calculators! Now I can’t even do math unless I have Excel!

I interestingly enough came across this article.

My brother-in-law and sister are quarantining right now. He has had a fever since Friday but no cough or lung issues. Did a teledoctor review and they didn't send him to get tested. After I read this I went to CVS and picked up some Cold-eez lozenges and put it on their doorstep just to be safe. If by chance he does have it, hopefully the zinc dosage will help the immune system fight it off before it gets any worse.

I personally take a multi-vitamin that has 100% of the daily recommended dosage of zinc so hopefully this helps stave off anything I may have already encountered as well without knowing it. If zinc can really make a difference this is a +1 for all the red meat eaters of the world.
I’ll preface this by saying, I’m not a Doctor, but I did speak to my wife’s Rheumatologist on speaker phone and got a couple questIons in as my wife rolled her eyes.

Q: Should I be taking Hydroxychloroquine as a preventative measure a long side my wife?

A: It wouldn’t hurt, but no, because I don’t have an Autoimmune disease like Lupus, nor do I work around Covid-19 patients daily. People with those risk factors he would recommend it for, but not someone that is in good health.

Q: Why so much Zinc (220 mg daily)?

A: (My Wife) doesn’t absorb vitamins and minerals from food as well as normal people, so we need to try to get her more than she is getting. Zinc has properties that block virus replication & boast the immune system.

That might be the stupidest way to multiply I've ever seen. The "before", not the "after". No wonder every single one of my HS students is helpless without a calculator.
I know many will look at the picture and say WTF.

It’s not about showing the easiest or the quickest. It’s about show the how any why in math.

But that is a different discussion for a different time.

I don't know what I saw, but what I saw scares me.
That must be the new "Common Core" stuff. Whatever it is, it's sad.

I’ll preface this by saying, I’m not a Doctor, but I did speak to my wife’s Rheumatologist on speaker phone and got a couple questIons in as my wife rolled her eyes.

Q: Should I be taking Hydroxychloroquine as a preventative measure a long side my wife?

A: It wouldn’t hurt, but no, because I don’t have an Autoimmune disease like Lupus, nor do I work around Covid-19 patients daily. People with those risk factors he would recommend it for, but not someone that is in good health.

Q: Why so much Zinc (220 mg daily)?

A: (My Wife) doesn’t absorb vitamins and minerals from food as well as normal people, so we need to try to get her more than she is getting. Zinc has properties that block virus replication & boast the immune system.
220 mg is quite bit but I can understand why they want her to take so much. I believe the recommended daily amount is only around 11mg? I know it sounds like a normal person would approach zinc toxicity around 150mg. I have RA and I take large amounts of vitamin D in addition to my daily multi-vitamin. My iron levels are borderline low but I believe everything else is fine. It does certainly seem like there is a case for everyone to make sure their zinc intake is appropriate as a precaution.

220 mg is quite bit but I can understand why they want her to take so much. I believe the recommended daily amount is only around 11mg? I know it sounds like a normal person would approach zinc toxicity around 150mg. I have RA and I take large amounts of vitamin D in addition to my daily multi-vitamin. My iron levels are borderline low but I believe everything else is fine. It does certainly seem like there is a case for everyone to make sure their zinc intake is appropriate as a precaution.

Yeah... Don't try this type of intake if you are a normal person with no underlying issues.
The real issue is that during this outbreak she's late on getting the Benlysta that she normaly gets monthly.

I know many will look at the picture and say WTF.

It’s not about showing the easiest or the quickest. It’s about show the how any why in math.

But that is a different discussion for a different time.

It was, it was common core. Because someone said there’s gotta be another way for people to still get from A to Z, without going ABCD.... 😕

I know I use "cheats" when doing math in my head, and I know common core is sort like writing out those cheats ... but ... I thought the old system worked just fine. If someone wants to start a thread on it, I'd be more than happy to discuss because this is my life in a couple of years and I'd rather be prepared for whats to come (and have a year or two to grieve and come to grips with it ... hahaha).

Average age of deceased due to Corona is 86 as of now in Minnesota.

Is it true NYS peak is behbehind them?

It's tragic. :sick:

NYS - no. There's this part called Upstate that hasn't ramped up seriously yet, but it's coming. There are indications NYC and surrounds ("Downstate") may be at or near peak, but it is too soon to tell a) which side of the peak they are on; and b) whether the peak will be jagged or a plateau.

NYS - no. There's this part called Upstate that hasn't ramped up seriously yet, but it's coming. There are indications NYC and surrounds ("Downstate") may be at or near peak, but it is too soon to tell a) which side of the peak they are on; and b) whether the peak will be jagged or a plateau.
Was it an over estimation by Cuomo that they needed 30k ventilators?

Was it an over estimation by Cuomo that they needed 30k ventilators?

I think we will end up needing fewer than 30k ventilators in NYS. I hope so. I think a lot of models will have overestimated the impact. But the modelers can then say the measures worked. We will never really know

I’ve gone on record that I am no fan of our gov but that he has handled this pretty well. He is much more popular Downstate than Upstate and some of the actions of his administration have people up my way wondering. When he pleads for ventilators and PPE and says we will help you set up and we will pay a premium and companies as diverse as Remington Arms and Telescope Casual Furniture offer to make the stuff and their calls to the state government go unanswered, and the governor’s solution is to send in the Guard to seize ventilators from Upstate hospitals for use Downstate, people are wary. Count me as wary.

I know I use "cheats" when doing math in my head, and I know common core is sort like writing out those cheats ... but ... I thought the old system worked just fine. If someone wants to start a thread on it, I'd be more than happy to discuss because this is my life in a couple of years and I'd rather be prepared for whats to come (and have a year or two to grieve and come to grips with it ... hahaha).
The common core thread is here

I know ventilators was the hot topic a few weeks ago. I see that less than 20% that go on ventilators actually make it through. Is it really that low?

I know ventilators was the hot topic a few weeks ago. I see that less than 20% that go on ventilators actually make it through. Is it really that low?
That is exactly what I heard. 20%

I think we will end up needing fewer than 30k ventilators in NYS. I hope so. I think a lot of models will have overestimated the impact. But the modelers can then say the measures worked. We will never really know

I’ve gone on record that I am no fan of our gov but that he has handled this pretty well. He is much more popular Downstate than Upstate and some of the actions of his administration have people up my way wondering. When he pleads for ventilators and PPE and says we will help you set up and we will pay a premium and companies as diverse as Remington Arms and Telescope Casual Furniture offer to make the stuff and their calls to the state government go unanswered, and the governor’s solution is to send in the Guard to seize ventilators from Upstate hospitals for use Downstate, people are wary. Count me as wary.

Actually the models had the SIP accounted for and still missed it by as much as they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From local news here: Based upon revised estimates, Arizona has reduced their request to the Feds for ventilators from 5,000 to 500. Revised estimates indicate the state will need about 1,500 beds with ventilators to treat COVID-19 patients. The state already has 1,500 beds with ventilators, with a third of them currently in use. The 500 ventilators requested are to meet expected additional demands.

RIP John Prine. Latest victim to covid19.
:(

Actually the models had the SIP accounted for and still missed it by as much as they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. I also acknowledge modeling is tough. But I've seen enough models explained away (and I've had to do a few of my own) to expect a qualifying statement. Economist in particular excel at this with their models. If you laid all of the world's economists end to end, they wouldn't reach a conclusion.

My nephew woke up in the middle of the night with 104 fever. My sister is hoping it's just another ear infection, but my brother-in-law is one of the helicopter pilots who took all the COVID-19 positive Naval officers off the Navy ship. So needless to say, she is really concerned right now. He has a doctors appointment in a few minutes via Telehealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back