Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas apparently clarified that golf courses are to be closed. Club just emailed they are closed for play at 5 today. But it's ok to walk the course for exercise.....

We are fortunate that none of our family members have symptoms, but I know many of my work colleagues are not as fortunate. Every day, someone mentions a new friend or relative with symptoms, or worse, diagnosed.

I think (hope) we are hitting the peak in the UK right now. 😕

I was just informed a girl on my daughters gymnastics team lost her father to Covid-19 yesterday. I didn't know him, apparently he had health issues but that hits really close to home.

I'll ask her when I get home tonight for you.

The whole online teaching thing at an elementary or grade school level is a new thing for them as well. I highly doubt they've refined it enough to demand due dates. I know my wife's class, half her kids haven't even checked in since this whole thing started. Lower grade level in a low income school.
That is exactly correct, my wife is in an admin at our district and she's on calls almost 24/7 even during the spring break. This is just as rough on the teachers as it is on the students, it's new for everyone.

That is exactly correct, my wife is in an admin at our district and she's on calls almost 24/7 even during the spring break. This is just as rough on the teachers as it is on the students, it's new for everyone.
@radiman I talked to my wife last night about the grading thing. She basically said the instruction they were given is that they'll be sending them through. Any work the kids do from home can only help their grade, not hurt them. Basically because they can't control what kids or how many kids log on for the online lessons. They're doing theirs through MS Teams. I'm sure your district in MN has different guidelines than hers (California has always been a little relaxed with this type of stuff.)

She also said so far, only 12 out of her 27 students have logged on for online lessons.

Went to my local grocery store for necessities like butter and beer. It was like the end of days in there. Our store is a big one so it has 2 separate entries. What they did is make one an exit only and the other entrance only....OK no biggie. Then as soon as you walk in the door you can here employees yelling for where they want people to lineup. It was very loud and you could see some people getting a little frazzled by it. Then they had ever aisle one way...again, no biggie I guess....the topper was 2 older ladies yelling at eachother...F bombs and all. When I say older I mean mid 60ish. Come to find out that 1 of the ladies got too close to the other, in a 4 foot wide aisle. The funniest part was they both had masks and gloves on. as the 1 passes the other I hear "F you b*tch"....lol. I tried hard not to laugh.

People are nuts....

Went to my local grocery store for necessities like butter and beer. It was like the end of days in there. Our store is a big one so it has 2 separate entries. What they did is make one an exit only and the other entrance only....OK no biggie. Then as soon as you walk in the door you can here employees yelling for where they want people to lineup. It was very loud and you could see some people getting a little frazzled by it. Then they had ever aisle one way...again, no biggie I guess....the topper was 2 older ladies yelling at eachother...F bombs and all. When I say older I mean mid 60ish. Come to find out that 1 of the ladies got too close to the other, in a 4 foot wide aisle. The funniest part was they both had masks and gloves on. as the 1 passes the other I hear "F you b*tch"....lol. I tried hard not to laugh.

People are nuts....
Don't mess with the Blue hairs. I know , I was married to one.:rolleyes: I noticed today that those wearing masks, touch their masks and face as much as those without. Which defeats the purpose of the mask. Even saw one man pull his mask down to itch his nose.:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Is anyone else having a hard time believing this ?

A country (in which this all began) and which contains about 1/5th the entire worlds overall population at about 1.4 billion people is the same country that to date and as of now......only has or ever had about 80 thousand cases with a total of only about 3300 deaths and currently only about 1,100 active cases?

Seeing the numbers from the rest of the world and its many other countries, can those numbers from China be even close to real? Can China's leaders expect the rest of the world to be so naive? Do they have the miracle cure and are withholding from the world? Or perhaps have they simply locked down so strictly that even people who need help for other reasons couldn't go and get any.

Governor says, besides mowing golf courses and landscaping, changes to Stay Home order are not really decided yet. New order has "a mechanism" that will allow for changes to be made in coming days. So hopefully he will at least allow the mowing of golf courses. One or two employees are only needed.
Our superintendent thinks mowing will be allowed in the next few days. No golf for
4 more weeks hurts. It amazes me how many tens of thousands of people in the parks and walking trails around here are getting inside of that 6 foot personal space each day but golf is forbidden. Me and a buddy are seriously considering getting on a plane with our N95 respirator’s and going to play golf in Phoenix for a week with another one of our buddies. He’s already had Covid 19 and is recovered.

A country (in which this all began) and which contains about 1/5th the entire worlds overall population at about 1.4 billion people is the same country that to date and as of now......only has or ever had about 80 thousand cases with a total of only about 3300 deaths and currently only about 1,100 active cases?

Seeing the numbers from the rest of the world and its many other countries, can those numbers from China be even close to real? Can China's leaders expect the rest of the world to be so naive? Do they have the miracle cure and are withholding from the world? Or perhaps have they simply locked down so strictly that even people who need help for other reasons couldn't go and get any.

Zero chance that the numbers from China are legitimate...

People are nuts....
If my 80 something year old Mom hadn't passed away a few years ago, I'd be asking you where this happened!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Our Par 3 course is now Covid-19 compliant!
IMG_1986.JPGIMG_1987.JPG

53832ea3bfa766164a836fd85a13b3e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to the course for my regular weekday tee time with the same two other guys I've played with for years. A single shows up and the course wanted to pair him up with us. I declined and when they pushed I said then I could not play. I am in a high risk group other than just because of my age. With my two regulars I know, if, when and where they have traveled, how they are about social distancing, the precautions they take and I know and trust them enough to know if they had the slightest symptoms they would not be there. I know zilch about a stranger. Am I wrong to push back on having a stranger play along with us?
I posted Monday that I walked off the course rather than have a stranger paired with us. The GM was there to open up yesterday and apologized to me for his employee trying to do that. When it comes to strangers you don't know what you are getting. Early on soon, after the SIP orders, he got a call from a woman whose husband came down the virus and she was pissed and threatened to send him to the course to cough and spit on things, They actually caught the guy doing that! You don't know if you are going to get one of those crazies who caught the virus and now wants to spread it to as many others as he/she can, or if it is someone who hasn't been taking this serious, hasn't been taking proper precautions and could even be asymptomatic and spreading the disease.

This guy will not be playing with strangers anytime soon!
I found the first post from Monday required some thinking about on my part and was going to add some my own opinion on it. And now the above latest post
(though a little different) but further added some more thinking on my part. And so with that id like to add my 02

as for choosing to play golf? I see no reason for a course to place strangers together unless of course there is simply no open tee times. What dom I mean?..... "if enough of us" (very many) choose to play then we should expect to be paired as usual so long as the course if full enough and also still playing with groups of 4. Open tee times within reason? that imo is another story as then the course should do their best to accommodate and even promote as much distancing as they can. All Im saying is that we cant expect it will always suit our preferences. I know for a fact that if my county opens golf up again we will be playing 4somes and with strangers especially if during prime-times. It just is what it is if and when crowded enough we would all be risking being paired with others. Not crowded enough? well then thats different.

as for the crazy person doing something nuts? Well. I mean what can ya do? if we are to think this way then we should never venture out anywhere ever unless its absolutely 100% necessary. And even then at those times we take that chance too. Golf in the end is not a necessity , its a luxury and we are choosing to go out and play. One could worry about some lunatic who lost his mind even during normal times. Heck, my son works in a Hospital and by no choice except for being part of essential personnel within his career is he at risk every day and then coming home risking the rest of us in our household of not only this virus but also some lunatic or disgruntled patient or disgruntled family member or even some disgruntled fellow worker.

Imo you make a choice when it comes to golf. You stay home or you go an play and deal with the scenario you end up with. You try your best to stay safe and you hope all others will do the same. Most will but your still always going to find some risk involved with anything we do. And when that thing is golf (which is not essential at all) the risk just is what it is.

that said i do think golf should stay open. it is imo about one the easiest things to do while also maintaining good distancing. Groups of 4 at most. Each person can play an entire round without coming within yards of his (3 at most) playing partners not to mention the next folks are a couple hundred yards away. pre pay for the round. Fresh air, out in nature, no crowds. imo its just so easy and fwiw it will be a small way to boost economy. thats a lot of revenue for a lot of municipalities = income, taxes, etc.... ts a win/win for everything imo.

Pennsylvania opened Trout season early meanwhile everyone else is still in shelter at home with citations being issued for traveling for non-essential business...

Rough day as we had our workforce affected. Times are tough during this crisis.

This was sent to me by my niece. It's very disconcerting. She was a medical research assistant at John Hopkins I'm no medical expert and will look to what others might think.

This was sent to me by my niece. It's very disconcerting. She was a medical research assistant at John Hopkins I'm no medical expert and will look to what others might think.

My wife(the aspiring cardiologist) has been saying this for a while now so it’s not exactly “new” news. The issue is pulmonary edema, kinda like altitude sickness as the doc described in the vid. Do the issue isn’t really oxygenation.

...Imo you make a choice when it comes to golf. You stay home or you go an play and deal with the scenario you end up with. You try your best to stay safe and you hope all others will do the same. Most will but your still always going to find some risk involved with anything we do. And when that thing is golf (which is not essential at all) the risk just is what it is...
Fortunately, our courses are heading into our off season right now, and play has declined very noticeably. Once the snowbirds leave and go back home, the crowding problem disappears and it's mostly members on my (semi-private) home course, which is a fairly small group. I've continued to play throughout this whole pandemic thing, but I wouldn't accept any scenario I was presented with on any given course - at this stage of the game if they tried to pair me with strangers, I'd refuse and not play that day. I'm not going to bank on the hope that some randos aren't being idiots and exposing themselves to unnecessary risk.

I don't golf with strangers anyway - any time I go out (pandemic or not), it's with the same people within my group of friends. During this pandemic, it's been with an even smaller subset of that group who I know very well, know their social habits, and know they're acting responsibly and not taking unnecessary risks. We've discussed it pretty extensively amongst ourselves and even excluded friends we would normally play with, who we don't think are being as cautious as they should during this thing.

Sure, there's inherent risk in any social exposure right now, but I won't settle for "it is what it is". There are ways to minimize the risk and stack the odds in your favor, and I'm pretty comfortable with the balance I've struck in that regard. I face a far greater risk during "essential" activities like grocery shopping than I do on the golf course with the precautions we're taking right now. Golf, within that small subset of friends and with those precautions, is the only socialization I currently do - other than that, I'm at home and away from everybody. We grocery shop once every 3 weeks or so, stock up so we don't have to go as often, and even then we go during non-peak shopping times. My wife orders as much of it as she can online and has it delivered, to limit the exposure even further.

I'm not counting on others to stay safe and do the right thing - it's kind of like riding a motorcycle, where you ride as defensively as you can, leave a big space cushion whenever possible, and always assume that everybody else on the road is an idiot who could potentially kill you through their own stupidity, negligence or inattention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back