Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the Courts decide, not individuals, as to what is repugnant to the Constitution.

Based on this thread, you might think otherwise 😂😂😂😂

I believe the Courts decide, not individuals, as to what is repugnant to the Constitution.

No. You (I think) are a lawyer. But the constitution is absolute. It’s not up to courts. It’s not up to interpretation. It is the constitution. Pretty freaking easy to decipher. Even for a neophyte/Neanderthal like me. It’s not up for anyone to decide. It’s black and white.

No. You (I think) are a lawyer. But the constitution is absolute. It’s not up to courts. It’s not up to interpretation. It is the constitution. Pretty freaking easy to decipher. Even for a neophyte/Neanderthal like me. It’s not up for anyone to decide. It’s black and white.
The problem is that "repugnant" is open to interpretation and subject to situational ethics. Apparently a lot like sexual assault, given the state of current events.

'=
Oh, okay ... if you say so. Apparently, laws don't matter anyway. Interpret as you please.

What do I know? I only took one Con Law Class and it wasn't particularly enjoyable. I wanted to do International Law and Trade. That dream got busted quickly. Jobs? Haha.

Last edited:
It disagrees

Are we surprised by this? If there is one thing Americans do well, it is not following the rules. We live in a society where stop signs and red lights are merely traffic suggestions. Cutting corners (either by laziness, associated cost, or convenience) is a staple of the American way in the 21st century when the act outweighs any potential risks and penalties.

And that salon owner in Dallas is out of jail and collected $500k in a gofundme because she would not wait 10 days or so for Governor to release salon guideliines. At least she is sharing it.

What laws?

I think guidelines and Orders change as we know more. But does one expect government to move quickly? I don't know - States are opening that don't even meet Federal suggested guidelines and ... I won't say it. We'll just see what happens.

Anyone else in the situation where your S.O. won't let you play golf right now? Our local courses opened back up this week but my wife said if I go play golf I might as well not come home. She is particularly sensitive to all things germs and very intense about not taking unnecessary risks. We have two toddlers.

I know I'm being selfish, but I would of course protect myself fully with a mask and gloves and stay distanced as well as I could. Upon returning home, I would strip down wash clothes and shower. Am I a selfish jerk for wanting to go play?

Anyone else in the situation where your S.O. won't let you play golf right now? Our local courses opened back up this week but my wife said if I go play golf I might as well not come home. She is particularly sensitive to all things germs and very intense about not taking unnecessary risks. We have two toddlers.

I know I'm being selfish, but I would of course protect myself fully with a mask and gloves and stay distanced as well as I could. Upon returning home, I would strip down wash clothes and shower. Am I a selfish jerk for wanting to go play?

No, it's better to be outside than inside.

Most courses have you making tee times online, take your money online, and you go to first tee and if you walk the course, no problem. States have the social distancing down as to no rakes in bunkers, no water coolers, no touching flagsticks. After you talk with starter, take off mask and enjoy. Just keep 10-12 feet distance if anyone sneezes

'=
Oh, okay ... if you say so. Apparently, laws don't matter anyway. Interpret as you please.
I wish Smiter were right. My Con Law grade would have been a lot better.

Anyone else in the situation where your S.O. won't let you play golf right now?...
Nope. Mine encourages me to go play as much as I want to, I've been playing 3-4 days a week and sneaking in an occasional practice day here and there. But she's kept a pretty level head about the virus scare and understands how much of it is propaganda vs actual risk, so it doesn't worry her in the least.

I haven't seen any evidence yet amongst all the hysteria that golf courses have played any significant part in people becoming infected. IMO they're a much safer place to be than a grocery store, post office, etc.

[ETA:] I don't think you're a selfish jerk for wanting to go play, but it puts you in a tough situation at home. If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

No you are not. Golfing is safe. People act like this is the plague with a 50% mortality rate. My wife is a nurse and is not concerned at all.

Nope. Mine encourages me to go play as much as I want to, I've been playing 3-4 days a week and sneaking in an occasional practice day here and there. But she's kept a pretty level head about the virus scare and understands how much of it is propaganda vs actual risk, so it doesn't worry her in the least.

I haven't seen any evidence yet amongst all the hysteria that golf courses have played any significant part in people becoming infected. IMO they're a much safer place to be than a grocery store, post office, etc.
Agreed. Apparently Home Depot is safe but golf courses are infested with the virus

There is no "thinking" about her wearing the mask or of them finding the mask. She was wearing the mask:

"...we do know that the driver had been wearing an N95 mask inside the vehicle for several hours and ultimately passed out while operating the vehicle.”

The lady was wearing the mask for hours while driving. The only question is to whether anything besides the mask contributed to her passing out.

There are literally pages of PubMed and other studies that show the wearing of an N95 mask reduces oxygen intake by up to 20%. They are just using common sense.

Was she in the car by herself? I don’t care enough to look into it. But I Lol at anyone wearing a mask in a vehicle when they’re by themselves. I wear one when my kids are in a car with me (not an N95), but I do that to protect them. If you’re wearing one inside a car by yourself, particularly an N95 (or worse an N99) you’ve set yourself for a Darwin Award. Even if she was wearing it to protect others in the car, the N95 isn’t meant for that. The only reason to do so would be if you are transporting someone that is infected.

No offense meant to anyone, but that’s just sheer and utter stupidity unless there’s a good reason behind it.

I did not take to Con Law. My Con Law Prof committed suicide the year after I took his class... it was even too much for him. Joking - he was an interesting guy but apparently troubled. After I graduated, I toured France to pick up a job and learn French - no bueno for Americans - needed connections.

Agreed. Apparently Home Depot is safe but golf courses are infested with the virus
I often wonder if golf courses have taken so much heat in this thing because they're perceived by some as being a bastion of a particular demographic.

I cite all this logic and more to her, but she contends it's an unnecessary added risk, however small. It is hard to rebut because at the end of the day, yes, it is riskier than staying home at the house and it is definitely not necessary in her opinion. I do have a net in the backyard I use every day so at least I'm able to swing, and she says to continue doing that to scratch the itch. Well, I did a whole swing rebuild and now it makes me want to play even more.. now!

If I go to golf it will cause a nuclear situation at home, but not playing is making me go crazy.

I cite all this logic and more to her, but she contends it's an unnecessary added risk, however small. It is hard to rebut because at the end of the day, yes, it is riskier than staying home at the house and it is definitely not necessary in her opinion. I do have a net in the backyard I use every day so at least I'm able to swing, and she says to continue doing that to scratch the itch. Well, I did a whole swing rebuild and now it makes me want to play even more.. now!

If I go to golf it will cause a nuclear situation at home, but not playing is making me go crazy.
Does she play? Maybe take her with you to see firsthand how safe it really is?

...If I go to golf it will cause a nuclear situation at home...
Regardless of facts, logic or anything else, I think the answer to your dilemma lies right there. ;)

The Star

Roughly 35 cardiac patients have died in Ontario because of delayed surgeries.

I live in an Ontario. I would surmise that the other bigger Ontario’s first problem is having anyone with the title of “Minister” as the first words of their name/title.

Unless it’s a preacher, I don’t wanna hear it in a title.
Dr. Erikson in the now banned YouTube video said there's no reason to wear masks because exposure to bacteria, both good and bad, is life sustaining. The more one hides the worse their immune system becomes. Only those with pre-existing conditions should wear masks.

Fast forward, ABC news reported today that 66% of those infected in NY stayed home. How can that be? Maybe Erikson is right? Plus, did they take the flu shot? Hmmm. Nobody knows, but it would be quite interesting to know. PLus, of those who died from COVID-19, how many of them took the flu shot? Does anyone think the CDC will willfully attempt to connect the dots?

Flu vaccines actually inject people with coronoaviruses from animal tissue. I bet very few people had any idea, and I bet the C19 test results are unusable because of the flu vaccines in people's systems.

We've heard talk about dogs having coronavirus, but that dumb news dried-up fast because dogs and animals are loaded with coronaviruses. But the news can easily panic people with information doctors have known since dirt. In fact, some doctors are suggesting there may be a connection between mild cases of COVID-19 and dog ownership.

Then the Pawpaw goats tested positive for COVID-19 in Tanzania which is statistically impossible. I bet Trump ordered that test because he suspects test rigging because he said those results were troubling.

Does anyone even remotely think everything they're telling us is the absolute opposite of what we should be doing? Hiding people from people. Mask wearing. Washing hands every 2 seconds. Now they have people talking about a vaccine when HydroChloroquine, zinc, is a perfectly good treatment?

They're creating a vaccine that you don't need, should never take, and could actually harm your system.

Wait a sec....

You mean to tell me I ate my dog and I didn’t have to? Damnit

Sorry Rosie!

Con Law was my favorite class. Had a great professor. Sure one can opine about the "fluidity" of the constitution, but to me anyway there are certain fundamentals in the Constitution that form the bedrock of our nation. I am not a big fan of a "situational" Constitution. Yes, as John Adams said, we are a nation of laws, but those laws have a duty to follow the precepts of the Constitution. Adams also said: “There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.”

@MagicSpell

No, not anymore. She'd join her dad and me every couple of months for par 3 course before kids -- 5 years ago. My wife hasn't left our property since before the lockdown in the SF Bay Area... almost 2 months ago now.

And to provide more context, I took our 2-year old in her little blue push car with me to collect the recycle bins yesterday from the end of the driveway, and my wife became an emotional wreck. She said it was an unnecessary risk, I didn't have to bring the kid.

So at this point, after getting yelled at for doing that, there's a part of me that wonders if going nuclear is actually a better way to handle this. But it's complex because she has anxiety and I should be mindful of the disorder. But damn it manifests itself in really challenging ways for me to cope with.

Spilling my guts on the Internets, nice.. feeling lost and desparate :(

I often wonder if golf courses have taken so much heat in this thing because they're perceived by some as being a bastion of a particular demographic.

You can say white privilege. No one will judge you.

We can tell it’s not your forte...

Not yours eiither... lol. But some of your so-called interpretations can be rubbed out or balenced based on public safety. There are always competing arguments. You only tend to look at one side. Work on that.

And I do not go around her shouting "That's unconstitutional!", which is pretty lame. But I can look at a post and state you have no freakin' idea what your'e talking about, but I only do so on a few occasions when a personal attack takes place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back