Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I disagree with some of the measures imposed, I also struggle with the control over health narrative. I don't see how it benefits states to shut down areas of their economy and grow unemployment. Would like to think that whatever measures are imposed are being looked at from a health & well being standpoint while measuring economic impact. Some get that equation wrong, or we may disagree with it; not sure how it's about control though.

While I disagree with some of the measures imposed, I also struggle with the control over health narrative. I don't see how it benefits states to shut down areas of their economy and grow unemployment. Would like to think that whatever measures are imposed are being looked at from a health & well being standpoint while measuring economic impact. Some get that equation wrong, or we may disagree with it; not sure how it's about control though.

I tend to agree with you here. I think it was more a knee-jerk reaction. People are getting sick, we can't overwhelm the hospitals, so we need to shut everything down. I am not sure the economic impact was even thought about. I also think at first people were ok with it because we all had the fear of g-d put into us that we are going to die if we go outside. But as paychecks stop coming, businesses stopped making money, and people couldn't feed their families, everyone started to realize how detrimental this has been on the economy.

I want to believe that politicians somewhere deep down actually care about their constituents, but I find it really hard to actually believe it. It's a popularity contest, noting more, nothing less. It's just a political game, and I think that's really sad.

I tend to agree with you here. I think it was more a knee-jerk reaction. People are getting sick, we can't overwhelm the hospitals, so we need to shut everything down. I am not sure the economic impact was even thought about. I also think at first people were ok with it because we all had the fear of g-d put into us that we are going to die if we go outside. But as paychecks stop coming, businesses stopped making money, and people couldn't feed their families, everyone started to realize how detrimental this has been on the economy.

I want to believe that politicians somewhere deep down actually care about their constituents, but I find it really hard to actually believe it. It's a popularity contest, noting more, nothing less. It's just a political game, and I think that's really sad.
Let's keep the politics out @GolferGal you know what kinda rabbit hole that will open! 😉🤣🤣🤣
Jking!

My club has just opened the course but not the clubhouse.
I'm not comfortable playing like that.
We'll wait a little longer for now.

GolferGal confirms, by the way, that political comments are accepted from the right but not from the left.

too many smart people on this thread, and this site, to not understand what the media and some governors are trying to do.
imho, if this weren't a global problem there could be more of a link. Now, do I think a big part of the media is using this to try to decrease the President's chance of winning? Yes, they've been doing that on every little tweet or issue since he announced he was running half a decade ago. But Spain, Italy, Singapore, South Africa, (the list is long) shut down operations so the dems could win elections? That's impossible for me to process, sorry. It's been a global issue and the steps many here despise were also taken in tons of places. Whether they were right to be implemented or not, I think that depends on the area. That this was a global conspiracy to "dethrone the Bad Orange Man", sorry not buying.

GolferGal confirms, by the way, that political comments are accepted from the right but not from the left.
There has been leniency both sides, as long as it's respectful and isn't an endorsement of any candidate. I may not agree with everything there, but saw absolutely no issue.

There has been leniency both sides, as long as it's respectful and isn't an endorsement of any candidate. I may not agree with everything there, but saw absolutely no issue.

OK.
I have no further comments on the subject.

OK.
I have no further comments on the subject.
Oh I'm not saying I'm right. That was just my opinion. Do think it's fair for everyone to comment. Maybe not GolfLivesMatter, but everyone else at least (kidding)

Ugh just got word that they cancelled my son's summer league baseball which doesn't even start till mid June. First high school ball and now this. Sadly I had never seen him more excited to play this year, I just hope he doesn't lose interest in the sport like he did with golf

Let me suggest a solution based on what I've read above from everyone -

Sounds as if some Governors have gone wild (on both sides - some with too llittle protection and other too much)

Like other Governors, they should select business people from each market/type of business/small and large and ask them to submit a social distancing/safety solution to the Governor that would open the economy somewhat safely - you can't protect everyone.

It's bs to put non-essential items as not available. Just open up stores with distancing and gloves - Whole Foods has gloves when you enter - why not other stores. Wear a mask.

You can purchase online and do curbside pickup.

There are many options for safety if you use imagination and keep stores open. For example, stores and restaurants close early now where I live - about 8-8:30 so employees can sanitize store for the next day.

Good luck out there and let's respect each other as well as that da$n virus.

Personally, I kept on writing the governor on his website as to a golf solution.

Last edited:
Let me suggest a solution based on what I've read above -

Sounds as if some Governors have gone wild (on both sides - some with too llittle protection and other too much)

Like other Governors, they should select business people from each market/type of business/small and large and ask them to submit a social distancing/safety solution to the Governor that would open the economy somewhat safely - you can't protect everyone.

It's bs to put non-essential items as not available. Just open up stores with distancing and gloves - Whole Foods has gloves when you enter - why not other stores.

You can purchase online and do curbside pickup.

There are many options for safety if you use imagination.

Good luck out there and let's respect each other as well as that da$n virus.

Personally, I kept on writing the governor on his website as to a golf solution.
aaah middle ground, been looking for you.

Ugh just got word that they cancelled my son's summer league baseball which doesn't even start till mid June. First high school ball and now this. Sadly I had never seen him more excited to play this year, I just hope he doesn't lose interest in the sport like he did with golf
See I don't fully get this, and I've probably been seen as overly careful in terms of health. I don't think you out and out cancel now. Maybe it's a reduced season, maybe some compromises have to be made. Maybe some additional safety and health checks, but there are options to not completely have to eliminate so much.

You cant be serious with this?
This after dropping the F bomb and calling her names.
We have said over and over again that we have to be lax do to the nature of what is going on, however it gets nipped in the bud when it gets too much.

Clearly you have skimmed and not seen what has been posted to both sides over the last few days. Either knock off the ******** or find another forum to create the multiple user accounts...

See I don't fully get this, and I've probably been seen as overly careful in terms of health. I don't think you out and out cancel now. Maybe it's a reduced season, maybe some compromises have to be made. Maybe some additional safety and health checks, but there are options to not completely have to eliminate so much.
I don't either. There was a previous email suggesting a shortened season but people complained about that too so maybe they just said f**k it and cancelled the whole thing. I feel so bad for all the kids who have been couped up for too long. Maybe I can get my son to start golfing with me again since thats the only thing we are allowed to do.

Morgan has been very tolerant on both sides... In my opinion.

This shot ⬆ is uncalled for...

Are we surprised by this? If there is one thing Americans do well, it is not following the rules. We live in a society where stop signs and red lights are merely traffic suggestions. Cutting corners (either by laziness, associated cost, or convenience) is a staple of the American way in the 21st century when the act outweighs any potential risks and penalties.
You should try driving in places like India, or really any place that isn’t the US or Western Europe. They take everything as mere suggestions, including driving in lanes, following traffic direction, driving on the correct side of the street, braking for pedestrians, etc.

It looks like we're starting to open back up even more here in South Dakota. The curve was flattened and hospitals didn't get overwhelmed, even with the huge Smithfield Covid issue.

Here is a general overview of our new rules:

Restaurants, food courts, coffee houses, bars, breweries, distilleries, wineries, clubs and cafes are allowed to have as many customers in their establishments as they'd like as long as parties of customers are seated at least six feet apart from one another.

For recreational facilities, athletic facilities, health clubs and entertainment venues, the proposed rules would allow up to 50% of an establishment's normal "occupant load."

It looks like we're starting to open back up even more here in South Dakota. The curve was flattened and hospitals didn't get overwhelmed, even with the huge Smithfield Covid issue.

Here is a general overview of our new rules:

Restaurants, food courts, coffee houses, bars, breweries, distilleries, wineries, clubs and cafes are allowed to have as many customers in their establishments as they'd like as long as parties of customers are seated at least six feet apart from one another.

For recreational facilities, athletic facilities, health clubs and entertainment venues, the proposed rules would allow up to 50% of an establishment's normal "occupant load."
I see the Anytime Fitness I go to in ND is open. I am still on the fence of whether I want to go there or not. I have been running through the neighborhood the last few weeks and it's been kind of nice. But, the weather is cold and crappy now. I may go in and just use a treadmill for a while and see how it's all set up.

I see the Anytime Fitness I go to in ND is open. I am still on the fence of whether I want to go there or not. I have been running through the neighborhood the last few weeks and it's been kind of nice. But, the weather is cold and crappy now. I may go in and just use a treadmill for a while and see how it's all set up.
I struggle with the idea of going to the gym. I'm sure they're being cleaned really well but some people are gross and being around an area where everyone sweats isn't really where I want to spend my time with all this going on.

That and working out sucks anyway :ROFLMAO:.

You cant be serious with this?
This after dropping the F bomb and calling her names.
We have said over and over again that we have to be lax do to the nature of what is going on, however it gets nipped in the bud when it gets too much.

Clearly you have skimmed and not seen what has been posted to both sides over the last few days. Either knock off the ******** or find another forum to create the multiple user accounts...

We clearly disagree, and frankly, I don't see anything about my comments that should have set you off the way it seems to have done.
My only comment is that in my view, the forum administrators seems to lean right. Just an honest observation and opinion, and hardly a very controversial one.
I hardly see where this is a belligerent statement worthy of your angry response.

That being the case, please stop threatening me.
It's clearly your prerogative to ban any contributor to the forum, with or without a valid reason.
Please do what you need to do, but like anybody else, I don't like to be threatened.

I don’t think that’s it. I think it’s more about this imaginary concept of a fair world. It’s not fair that some can play golf while others sit at home and twiddle their thumbs.
I honestly think it’s political, in that for some reason golf has become a target by certain people because they believe it’s bad for the environment and only enjoyed by old, rich, white males. That was a trending belief long before COVID was a thing btw. Disclaimer: I don’t mean this to be a political post, I’m just explaining what I’ve observed over the past few years.

We clearly disagree, and frankly, I don't see anything about my comments that should have set you off the way it seems to have done.
My only comment is that in my view, the forum administrators seems to lean right. Just an honest observation and opinion, and hardly a very controversial one.
I hardly see where this is a belligerent statement worthy of your angry response.

That being the case, please stop threatening me.
It's clearly your prerogative to ban any contributor to the forum, with or without a valid reason.
Please do what you need to do, but like anybody else, I don't like to be threatened.

Enough already. Read through this thread and see what is done rather than call out the forum owner for being biased when its not what is taking place here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back