Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw an interesting stat from TN this morning and have a question for any Tennesseans out there.

This year there have been 373 automobile related deaths in TN and 315 COVID-19 deaths.

Have each of you sold your cars?

Fall of 2019 one ALMOST did me in. I was 20 minutes from a level 2 trauma center and they were considering flying me there because it would shave off a few minutes. 14 hours of emergency surgery (and when I say emergency, I mean it-they put in a main line into my femoral without novacaine because they didn’t have time and they actually started the operation before I was fully under, OUCH! Made it.

I don’t know if I have it in me to go through all that again. On one shoulder I had had the red devil telling to just lie down and stop fighting. I REALLY wanted to. It would have been so easy. Just lie down and it was all over. Instead I walked into the ambulance unassisted.

On the other I had the golden angle telling me to fight! Fight! Fight! I listened to the fight one but I don’t know if I can do it again. Hopefully I don’t have to find out. I knew the fight wasn’t for that moment it was for the weeks and months ahead.

Woke up 14 hours later after my insides being on my outside for the previous 13 hours. I was in a world of pain and more pain. Even with the best stuff out there I couldn’t hardly take it. But I had the will to fight on. Ended up physically dependent on Diluadid, after only 3 weeks of taking it. Realized it and brought an entire new he’ll on myself when I decided that it was now the problem and stopped taking it cold turkey as I couldn’t trust myself to wean off of it. 3 hours after my last dose I was looking forward to hour 4 just a little too much. It was/wasn’t just for pain control at that point.

Since I have enough problems, buh bye. No thanks. It still was a miserable 4 days or so. I was still in enough pain I probably should have taken it but I looked at the wormhole I was going down for what it was. For once in my life I stopped what was happening. The worst part was I couldn’t flush them since I have chronic kidney stones. So I had to look at the pill bottle 30ft away that would have soothed me. That was hell. But I couldn’t flush them as no doc would prescribe them again if I was given a 30 day supply and 20 days in needed them again for a kidney stone.

Now I am VERY careful taking them. Very. If I have a kidney stone I’ll take as that is worse than death. But outside of that, I do NOT touch them. Man was that hard. I was in pain still and there was relief 30ft away. But I wasn’t in THAT much pain.

I hope that anyone going through similar can draw strength from that, that was my main point. PM me if you need any help if you are ever in that situation as someone that’s BTDT.

My other point and on point with the post I replied to, I did sell my car, the smoldering hunk of ruin, to my insurance company, lol. The repairs on it were literally more than I paid for the car brand new. Yeah I f’ed up that car. Oops. I didn’t mean to. There were a lot of factors that went into it, but just don’t get into a hot car driving into the sun after working 25 of the last 34 hours. It may not end pretty. I zoned out for maybe 2 seconds, probably less. Changed my life forever.

Holy cow smiter, multiquote is your friend 🤣

Sorry! I just dunno whom I want to respond to until I’ve read it. I’ll TRY to do so in the future. I make no guarantees but I will try.

I’ll leave the thread for tonight. Multiquote, I’ll try that tomorrow. I know no one wants to read my drivel, but seriously I’ll respond and then I see another one I want to respond to.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

Sorry! I just dunno whom I want to respond to until I’ve read it. I’ll TRY to do so in the future. I make no guarantees but I will try.

I’ll leave the thread for tonight. Multiquote, I’ll try that tomorrow. I know no one wants to read my drivel, but seriously I’ll respond and then I see another one I want to respond to.

Tomorrow will be a better day.
No harm. That’s the beauty of multiquote, you can respond to all of the ones you want to 🙃

The Texas Department of Health Services is changing the criteria for reporting COVID-19 cases. The analysis by our County Judge is is lengthy as he has some real issues with it. It will case an unrealistic spike in the numbers and could cause people to be quarantined unnecessarily or cause people to hide symptoms. One of the criteria under a category called Epidemiologic Linkage Criteria is:

• Travel to or residence in an area with sustained, ongoing community transmission of COVID-19.

The Judge points out:

Any person who resides in an area with sustained, ongoing community transmission of COVID-19 meets the standard for the Epidemiologic Linkage Criteria. Because we now have sustained, ongoing community transmission of COVID-19 in Collin County, every resident of the county meets this criteria.

That is just under 1 million people!

Honest question- Wouldn’t survival rate for those that don’t have to be hospitalized already be very high? So in those cases not sure it makes as big difference compared to cases that require hospitalization.
Maybe, but by only testing on patients already hospitalized we don't know if utilizing it earlier works to the extent of keeping people from getting to the stage of hospitalization. Take two groups of people with the virus and similar underlying conditions and determine what percentage of those treated and those not treated with it get hospitalized. Might tell us something.

Maybe, but by only testing on patients already hospitalized we don't know if utilizing it earlier works to the extent of keeping people from getting to the stage of hospitalization. Take two groups of people with the virus and similar underlying conditions and determine what percentage of those treated and those not treated with it get hospitalized. Might tell us something.
Maybe. This was a robust trial though. Right now, from a medical standpoint it's easily the most thorough test performed and did not seem biased in any way.

I mean, I know doctors I trust who took this themselves as a precautionary measure. It wasn't some crazy idea. They brought the test to my attention as they will no longer take nor recommend this as treatment or as a precaution.

Tee times set for Wednesday and Friday 9 am. :)

Speaking of tests, the leader of Oxford's COVID-19 vaccine trial has reduced their odds for success because not enough people are still getting infected:

=====

Adrian Hill, director of Oxford's Jenner Institute, which has teamed up with drugmaker AstraZeneca Plc to develop the vaccine, said that an upcoming trial, involving 10,000 volunteers, threatened to return "no result" due to low transmission of COVID-19 in the community. "It's a race against the virus disappearing, and against time", Hill told the British newspaper. "At the moment, there's a 50% chance that we get no result at all."

=====

Seems the virus is threatening to die out on its own before they can get the vaccine developed.

The Texas Department of Health Services is changing the criteria for reporting COVID-19 cases. The analysis by our County Judge is is lengthy as he has some real issues with it. It will case an unrealistic spike in the numbers and could cause people to be quarantined unnecessarily or cause people to hide symptoms. One of the criteria under a category called Epidemiologic Linkage Criteria is:

• Travel to or residence in an area with sustained, ongoing community transmission of COVID-19.

The Judge points out:

Any person who resides in an area with sustained, ongoing community transmission of COVID-19 meets the standard for the Epidemiologic Linkage Criteria. Because we now have sustained, ongoing community transmission of COVID-19 in Collin County, every resident of the county meets this criteria.

That is just under 1 million people!
So does that mean everybody who lives in those areas is reported as a positive case? If so, that's some ridiculous bull****.

My town’s Memorial Day Parade was cancelled this year. So, a group of children from the neighborhood planned and had their own parade.

So does that mean everybody who lives in those areas is reported as a positive case? If so, that's some ridiculous bull****.
You would have to meet additional criteria as well. For example:

- For a Confirmed case you would have to test positive for C19.
- For a Probable case you would need to travel to or live in one of those counties and basically show symptoms. So if you live in one of those counties and die from pneumonia for example, you will be listed as a Probable C19 death, no test necessary. There is other criteria as well but that's the gist of it. The question is which one the media will want to run with, actual or probable. My guess is the latter.

Florida:

Population—22,000,000
Income tax—0%
China Virus cases—50,100
Virus deaths—2,200+

New York:

Population—19,500,000
Income tax—8%
China Virus cases—366,350
Virus deaths—29,000+

Seems like one State handed this crisis better than the other... I know, I know wait two weeks on the Florida data... 😉

Unless something changes, that is what the county judge is saying. Instead of reporting confirmed cases, Texas will be reporting "probable" cases. There are three categories of criteria. All you have to do is meet two of the three. A person who resides in an area with sustained, ongoing community transmission of COVID-19 meets the standard for one of the three right off the bat. Because we now have sustained, ongoing community transmission of COVID-19 in my County, every resident of the county meets this criteria. The other two criteria include a positive lab test, or just having certain symptoms including simply a cough or (not and) difficulty breathing or (not and) shortness of breath. You just have to have one of those.

His concern is that people will hide symptoms because they could very easily face mandatory quarantine for an insignificant reason, just having shortness of breath and living in the county. My wife often has times of shortness of breath because she has COPD but could theoretically be forced to quarantine as she meets the criteria. He believes the "spike" in the number of cases will unnecessarily increase anxiety in the State as we try to re-open responsibly. Also, it puts added strain on health resources as "probable" cases "must be investigated in the same manner as a confirmed case, and contact tracing of “probable” cases will lead to bloated lists of persons under monitoring.."

His explanation is quite lengthy. I've tried to condense it to the salient points.

Florida:

Population—22,000,000
Income tax—0%
China Virus cases—50,100
Virus deaths—2,200+

New York:

Population—19,500,000
Income tax—8%
Virus deaths—29,000+

Seems like one State handed this crisis better than the other... I know, I know wait two weeks on the Florida data... 😉
While I think FL handled this extremely well, it’s really hard to compare due to population density.

With that said the older demographic was handled tragically poor up there in comparison.

Florida:

Population—22,000,000
Income tax—0%
China Virus cases—50,100
Virus deaths—2,200+

New York:

Population—19,500,000
Income tax—8%
Virus deaths—29,000+

I don’t disagree with the numbers (and enjoy living in a state with 0% income tax), but I am missing how the income tax bit relates to COVID?

I don’t disagree with the numbers (and enjoy living in a state with 0% income tax), but I am missing how the income tax bit relates to COVID?
it doesn't, and that's not a projection;)

Unless something changes, that is what the county judge is saying. Instead of reporting confirmed cases, Texas will be reporting "probable" cases. There are three categories of criteria. All you have to do is meet two of the three. A person who resides in an area with sustained, ongoing community transmission of COVID-19 meets the standard for one of the three right off the bat. Because we now have sustained, ongoing community transmission of COVID-19 in my County, every resident of the county meets this criteria. The other two criteria include a positive lab test, or just having certain symptoms including simply a cough or (not and) difficulty breathing or (not and) shortness of breath. You just have to have one of those.

His concern is that people will hide symptoms because they could very easily face mandatory quarantine for an insignificant reason, just having shortness of breath and living in the county. My wife often has times of shortness of breath because she has COPD but could theoretically be forced to quarantine as she meets the criteria. He believes the "spike" in the number of cases will unnecessarily increase anxiety in the State as we try to re-open responsibly. Also, it puts added strain on health resources as "probable" cases "must be investigated in the same manner as a confirmed case, and contact tracing of “probable” cases will lead to bloated lists of persons under monitoring.."

His explanation is quite lengthy. I've tried to condense it to the salient points.
You would think at the very least there would be a 2-symptom requirement not just 1. How many people walk around with a standard boring common cough?

There is a moratorium on Political statements in this thread... The Income Tax statement was to provide color...

Just saw a submitted research doc for peer review that states asymptomatic carriers are not spreaders. If this proves accurate then masks are pretty much pointless I’m assuming.

If true, that would change a lot of things.

There is a moratorium on Political statements in this thread... The Income Tax statement was to provide color...

got it, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back