Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
COVID-19 isn't even the "official" name for it - that's the name that was coined by WHO. The "official" name, as established by the ICTV (International Community on Taxonomy of Viruses) is "SARS-CoV-2". The WHO didn't like that name because it sounds too scary:

I think we all know it started in China, and that the world has a beef against China. Why was a temporary ban not made permanent?

"After the SARS outbreak in 2003, which was traced to a wet market in the southern Guangdong Province, a temporary ban on wet markets and the wild-animal industry were put in place. In July of that year, the World Health Organization declared the SARS virus contained, and in August the Chinese government lifted the ban.

Wet markets are found the world over, typically open-air sites selling fresh meat, seafood, and produce. The meats often are butchered and trimmed on-site. Markets in China have come in for justifiable condemnation because of the way they’ve evolved, commingling traditional livestock with a wide variety of wild animals, including exotic and endangered species. Many are quite unsanitary, with blood, entrails, excrement, and other waste creating the conditions for disease that migrates from animals to people through virus, bacteria, and other forms of transmission. Such “zoonotic diseases” that have emerged from China and other regions of the world include Ebola, HIV, bird flu, swine flu, and SARS."

COVID-19 isn't even the "official" name for it - that's the name that was coined by WHO. The "official" name, as established by the ICTV (International Community on Taxonomy of Viruses) is "SARS-CoV-2". The WHO didn't like that name because it sounds too scary:

Naming the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the virus that causes it
Official names have been announced for the virus responsible for COVID-19 (previously known as “2019 novel coronavirus”) and the disease it causes. The official names are:
Disease
coronavirus disease
(COVID-19)

Virus
severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
(SARS-CoV-2)

Why do the virus and the disease have different names?

Viruses, and the diseases they cause, often have different names. For example, HIV is the virus that causes AIDS. People often know the name of a disease, but not the name of the virus that causes it.
There are different processes, and purposes, for naming viruses and diseases.
Viruses are named based on their genetic structure to facilitate the development of diagnostic tests, vaccines and medicines. Virologists and the wider scientific community do this work, so viruses are named by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV).
Diseases are named to enable discussion on disease prevention, spread, transmissibility, severity and treatment. Human disease preparedness and response is WHO’s role, so diseases are officially named by WHO in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD).
ICTV announced “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)” as the name of the new virus on 11 February 2020. This name was chosen because the virus is genetically related to the coronavirus responsible for the SARS outbreak of 2003. While related, the two viruses are different.
WHO announced “COVID-19” as the name of this new disease on 11 February 2020, following guidelines previously developed with the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).
WHO and ICTV were in communication about the naming of both the virus and the disease.

What name does WHO use for the virus?
From a risk communications perspective, using the name SARS can have unintended consequences in terms of creating unnecessary fear for some populations, especially in Asia which was worst affected by the SARS outbreak in 2003.
For that reason and others, WHO has begun referring to the virus as “the virus responsible for COVID-19” or “the COVID-19 virus” when communicating with the public. Neither of these designations are intended as replacements for the official name of the virus as agreed by the ICTV.
Material published before the virus was officially named will not be updated unless necessary in order to avoid confusion.

Angry mob is angry:

Best Twitter response I saw on it, from Katie Williams:

"The longer this goes on, it makes me realize WHY it was so easy for the holocaust to happen. When you instill fear and panic into a society you can turn the neighbors against each other and everything will become justified under fear."

What name does WHO use for the virus?
From a risk communications perspective, using the name SARS can have unintended consequences in terms of creating unnecessary fear for some populations, especially in Asia which was worst affected by the SARS outbreak in 2003.
For that reason and others, WHO has begun referring to the virus as “the virus responsible for COVID-19” or “the COVID-19 virus” when communicating with the public. Neither of these designations are intended as replacements for the official name of the virus as agreed by the ICTV.
Material published before the virus was officially named will not be updated unless necessary in order to avoid confusion.
Which confirms that the WHO is soft-pedaling the name because it sounds too scary, even while they acknowledge the actual official name of the virus (emphasis added to quote for clarification).

And what does the WHO have to say about SARS itself? (emphasis added to quote for relevance):

SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome)
Cause

SARS coronavirus (SARS-CoV) – virus identified in 2003. SARS-CoV is thought to be an animal virus from an as-yet-uncertain animal reservoir, perhaps bats, that spread to other animals (civet cats) and first infected humans in the Guangdong province of southern China in 2002.

Hmmm, I wonder why they wouldn't want the acronym "SARS-CoV" affiliated with COVID-19?

Last edited:
it's a short step from wearing dentist masks to ethnic genocide - holocaust, really?

it's a short step from wearing dentist masks to ethnic genocide - holocaust, really?
It isn't about dentist masks. It's about instilling fear and panic into society and causing them to turn against each other. Angry mobs. 1-800 snitch lines where you can report your neighbors. Media hysteria and FUD. Leaders and public figures speaking out and sowing division amongst people. False statistics and outright lies being weaponized. The U.S. Constitution being abrogated under the guise of "the public good". She didn't compare it to the holocaust, she said it was easy for her to see how something like that happened based upon what's going on now.

Last edited:
It isn't about dentist masks. It's about instilling fear and panic into society and causing them to turn against each other. Angry mobs. 1-800 snitch lines where you can report your neighbors. Media hysteria and FUD. Leaders and public figures speaking out and sowing division amongst people. False statistics and outright lies being weaponized. She didn't compare it to the holocaust, she said it was easy for her to see how something like that happened based upon what's going on now.

what's next, warrantless wiretaps?

what's next, warrantless wiretaps?
Or how about unauthorized unmaskings, fake dossiers, illegal surveillance and malicious prosecution? But now we're heading off-topic and toward a verboten area of discussion, so I'll cut that off right here.

Or how about unauthorized unmaskings, fake dossiers, illegal surveillance and malicious prosecution? But now we're heading off-topic and toward a verboten area of discussion, so I'll cut that off right here.

I don’t have children for a reason, please stop making me come in here and discipline you guys and ask for the hundredth time to stop it with the politics, name calling and attacks.

According to DSHS, Texas will now begin reporting “probable” cases in addition to “confirmed” cases. To qualify as a "probable" COVID-19 case, a person must meet any two of three criteria categories: • Clinical Criteria • Epidemiologic Linkage Criteria • Presumptive Laboratory Evidence Criteria

Added to residency in the County counting as on of the three, Epidemiologic Linkage Criteria , here is the full Clinical Criteria:

Patient meets the clinical criteria if no alternative diagnosis is more likely, and patient meets one of the three criteria below:
• At least two of the following symptoms are present: Headache, sore throat, fever (measured or subjective), chills, rigors, myalgia, or new olfactory and taste disorder(s)
• At least one of the following symptoms are present: Cough, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing
• Patient has severe respiratory illness with either (a) clinical or radiographic evidence of pneumonia, or (b) acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)

Ignore the political part of the discussion, that's not my point and not what I'm trying to bring to the discussion. The point is that CNN was referring to it as "the Chinese coronavirus" and admitting that it originated in Wuhan:

Numerous other networks (MSNBC, CNBC, CBS News, PBS) made similar references (again, ignore the political conversation - not the point, not what I'm trying to bring into the conversation, and not why I included it):

Inconvenient truths are inconvenient.

I'm not angry about it actually. This thread has been warned numerous times to not be political and to stay nice to one another. Knowing that it's been called something else, since you claim it's not official. I guess common name would be more appropriate, why he would call it "China Virus"? Was it specifically to get a raise out of people? Was it because he likes the origins of the virus that much? He has the right to call it what he wants. Heck, call it "coughing mccougherson" for all I care. @JDax

According to DSHS, Texas will now begin reporting “probable” cases in addition to “confirmed” cases. To qualify as a "probable" COVID-19 case, a person must meet any two of three criteria categories: • Clinical Criteria • Epidemiologic Linkage Criteria • Presumptive Laboratory Evidence Criteria

Added to residency in the County counting as on of the three, Epidemiologic Linkage Criteria , here is the full Clinical Criteria:

Patient meets the clinical criteria if no alternative diagnosis is more likely, and patient meets one of the three criteria below:
• At least two of the following symptoms are present: Headache, sore throat, fever (measured or subjective), chills, rigors, myalgia, or new olfactory and taste disorder(s)
• At least one of the following symptoms are present: Cough, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing
• Patient has severe respiratory illness with either (a) clinical or radiographic evidence of pneumonia, or (b) acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
What's unfortunate about the above is the number of other conditions caused by other viruses with similar symptoms.

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning...haircut day!

I'm not angry about it actually. This thread has been warned numerous times to not be political and to stay nice to one another. Knowing that it's been called something else, since you claim it's not official. I guess common name would be more appropriate, why he would call it "China Virus"? Was it specifically to get a raise out of people? Was it because he likes the origins of the virus that much? He has the right to call it what he wants. Heck, call it "coughing mccougherson" for all I care. @JDax
I agree. There's a lot to a name. Calling it the "China Virus" has a context and anyone saying otherwise is being purposely obtuse.

I agree. There's a lot to a name. Calling it the "China Virus" has a context and anyone saying otherwise is being purposely obtuse.

I think it has a context. I'm not sure that context is out of place, but it exists.
I know we live in a land and time where offense is everywhere. Who is being offended with the label? Is it still offensive if its labeled virus from China?

I think this thread is a microcosm in a lot of ways. Sometimes people are looking for the offense, rather than what it actually might offend.

I think it has a context. I'm not sure that context is out of place, but it exists.
I know we live in a land and time where offense is everywhere. Who is being offended with the label? Is it still offensive if its labeled virus from China?

I think this thread is a microcosm in a lot of ways. Sometimes people are looking for the offense, rather than what it actually might offend.

It all boils down to personal agendas, usually followed by throwing hands up and saying "I'm just saying where it's from!"

It all boils down to personal agendas, usually followed by throwing hands up and saying "I'm just saying where it's from!"

I get all of that. I agreed there was context. My question is, who is it offensive towards? Was it offensive when news outlets labeled it as such early on? Or just when administrations did? Im genuinely asking, because this is fascinating to me.

I get all of that. I agreed there was context. My question is, who is it offensive towards? Was it offensive when news outlets labeled it as such early on? Or just when administrations did? Im genuinely asking, because this is fascinating to me.
I think it cuts both ways. It's typical "no no no, it's OK when we do it, but not them!"

If COVID has exposed anything, it's answered the question of "Whatever happened to that kid who never listened to authority in grade school?" Those individuals exist on both sides of the aisle.

I'm not offended by it, but knowing some are, I'm just curious why @JDax used it?

Was nothing more than a question to him. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't to cause a stir knowing that this thread has had numerous warnings about getting along and not being political.

I understand the need to remain civil on the forum regarding the political nature of this pandemic. People take politics very personally, and as well they should. This is a situation where politics plays hand-in-hand with what's actually happening to everyone in the country, and it's hard to look the other way.

That stated, I am 98% sure none of us on this forum have a direct line to our government leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back