Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
2020 mascot.png

I'm not offended by it, but knowing some are, I'm just curious why @JDax used it?

Was nothing more than a question to him. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't to cause a stir knowing that this thread has had numerous warnings about getting along and not being political.

That was what my question. I don't doubt someone is offended, but I am wondering who? And why was it not offensive early on and became offensive?

Like you, I am genuinely asking, because I am totally curious.

That was what my question. I don't doubt someone is offended, but I am wondering who? And why was it not offensive early on and became offensive?

Like you, I am genuinely asking, because I am totally curious.

I mean, easy answer is the political correctness world we find ourselves fortunately or unfortunately in these days. The Internet is the boiling pot of all of it. I believe it's also the reason people have lost the ability (for the most part) to simply have a convo and remain civil. It's the same thing when someone like SVP talks about how much hate he receives online for his sport opinions, yet can't remember a single time of someone yelling at him in person. That's a whole other thread though.

Not seeing why someone is offended by the China Virus name. Don’t recall this being an issue for MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. Also, Spanish Flu and Hong Kong Fever are frequently used without objections. What makes “China” special in this case?

I mean, easy answer is the political correctness world we find ourselves fortunately or unfortunately in these days. The Internet is the boiling pot of all of it. I believe it's also the reason people have lost the ability (for the most part) to simply have a convo and remain civil. It's the same thing when someone like SVP talks about how much hate he receives online for his sport opinions, yet can't remember a single time of someone yelling at him in person. That's a whole other thread though.

I guess that is my question.
Why is Spanish Flu allowed and not China Virus?
Why was nobody offended when CNN and others used the term repeatedly during the early stages and then all of the sudden it became not politically correct?

Im not trying to argue, I am genuinely trying to understand.

EDIT: @Vortex beat me to it.

I'm not offended by it, but knowing some are, I'm just curious why @JDax used it?

Was nothing more than a question to him. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't to cause a stir knowing that this thread has had numerous warnings about getting along and not being political.

I am not defending anyone here, I personally refer to the virus as COVID, but it's nearly impossible these days to not offend someone. Trying to change who you are, how you speak, or what you think, to not offend someone is impossible, and honestly shouldn't be necessary. We can't change everything about ourselves to make someone else comfortable, because it might make person A comfortable, but somehow it will offend person B. That's just the nature of the world we live in now.

What is the nation of origin of the virus, Karen?

Why was nobody offended when CNN and others used the term repeatedly during the early stages and then all of the sudden it became not politically correct?

I think it boils down to the implication behind the term's use. People expect (or should expect) the media to be idiots. They do it for ratings, as we all know, and it's a method that works for them. I hate it, but it works.

People (should) expect politicians and leaders to behave differently. As trivial as it may seem, politicians need to remain in touch with how media is spinning something and adjust to diffuse the situation. Of course, that doesn't always happen.

Words are just words. But as we also know, words can be much more than words.

According to DSHS, Texas will now begin reporting “probable” cases in addition to “confirmed” cases. To qualify as a "probable" COVID-19 case, a person must meet any two of three criteria categories: • Clinical Criteria • Epidemiologic Linkage Criteria • Presumptive Laboratory Evidence Criteria

Added to residency in the County counting as on of the three, Epidemiologic Linkage Criteria , here is the full Clinical Criteria:

Patient meets the clinical criteria if no alternative diagnosis is more likely, and patient meets one of the three criteria below:
• At least two of the following symptoms are present: Headache, sore throat, fever (measured or subjective), chills, rigors, myalgia, or new olfactory and taste disorder(s)
• At least one of the following symptoms are present: Cough, shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing
• Patient has severe respiratory illness with either (a) clinical or radiographic evidence of pneumonia, or (b) acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)

I saw this an immediately thought every allergy sufferer in the state will hit these guidelines. I am not sure how to even begin to trust the numbers because I am not sure anyone is accurately counting true Chinese virus numbers.

I think this is a fine example of context behind the chosen use of a term.

I'm not sure, you'll have to ask someone who is offended.

Haha about the response I expected.

You can now take a cart in MA without having a disability or a doctor's note. One person per cart.
Very excited to play as a foursome on Saturday. Now I just have to see if we'll have four carts available for our mid-afternoon tee time. :confused:

“The policies have created the greatest global economic disruption in history, with trillions of dollars of lost economic output. These financial losses have been falsely portrayed as purely economic. To the contrary, using numerous National Institutes of Health Public Access publications, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Bureau of Labor Statistics data, and various actuarial tables, we calculate that these policies will cause devastating non-economic consequences that will total millions of accumulated years of life lost in the United States, far beyond what the virus itself has caused.”

I said something similar earlier. When you use a term like "economic" sometimes it fails to capture the essence of that word: the single mom trying to feed her kids, the plethora of small businesses struggling to stay open, the millions of people laid off, and not sure if they will even have a job to return to. THIS is the economy.

Very excited to play as a foursome on Saturday. Now I just have to see if we'll have four carts available for our mid-afternoon tee time. :confused:

I mostly walk, but was wondering about cart availability later in the day with only one person per cart.

I think it has a context. I'm not sure that context is out of place, but it exists.
I know we live in a land and time where offense is everywhere. Who is being offended with the label? Is it still offensive if its labeled virus from China?

I think this thread is a microcosm in a lot of ways. Sometimes people are looking for the offense, rather than what it actually might offend.

Curious to see how the media will handle "Chinese food" from here on out.

China has been pushing hard to escape blame for this virus. Calling it the Chinese Flu or Wuhan Flu only reinforces that it came from China, which China is trying to obfuscate.

Multiquote is your friend.

I am not defending anyone here, I personally refer to the virus as COVID, but it's nearly impossible these days to not offend someone. Trying to change who you are, how you speak, or what you think, to not offend someone is impossible, and honestly shouldn't be necessary. We can't change everything about ourselves to make someone else comfortable, because it might make person A comfortable, but somehow it will offend person B. That's just the nature of the world we live in now.

It’s a sad reality but you are spot on. My wife has worked most of her professional career surrounded by those with vastly different political views and is an expert at keeping her views out of the workforce but is a bit weary of other coworkers not extending her or others in the workforce the same courtesy. At some companies, especially in tech, you better fall in line(or fake it) with the groupthink or it will crush your chances of getting promoted.

IMO, the PC culture has run amok and has now blown up into many people being offended over gender correctness. A good example is an announcement by the University of Minnesota in 2017… saying it was dropping the names “king” and “queen” from its Homecoming festivities in favor of “royals.” It did this in the name of “gender inclusivity.”

If you you don’t call someone by their desired gender label on many college campuses you will piss off a lot of people, lol.

I said something similar earlier. When you use a term like "economic" sometimes it fails to capture the essence of that word: the single mom trying to feed her kids, the plethora of small businesses struggling to stay open, the millions of people laid off, and not sure if they will even have a job to return to. THIS is the economy.

I think the sad part is many of these small businesses will not return at all. Some will argue that they probably weren't on solid economic footing to begin with if they are that vulnerable, but the story remains this shutdown has caused unnecessary loss of businesses and employment. I think we could have put protocols in place and still kept things open. You give those the option to work from home or social distance who feel vulnerable and allow everyone to manage the risk as they see fit for their area.

I think the sad part is many of these small businesses will not return at all. Some will argue that they probably weren't on solid economic footing to begin with if they are that vulnerable, but the story remains this shutdown has caused unnecessary loss of businesses and employment. I think we could have put protocols in place and still kept things open. You give those the option to work from home or social distance who feel vulnerable and allow everyone to manage the risk as they see fit for their area.

I hate when I hear that argument that "they were not solid to begin with". Millions of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and small business is no different. The trickle impact is crazy to think about. Service company doesn't get paid by their vendors, they then can't pay suppliers, who can't pay workers. Now compound that with can't be landlord, who can't pay utilities and all oft the sudden a micro business with 5 employees is responsible for hundreds out of work.

I think it has a context. I'm not sure that context is out of place, but it exists.
I know we live in a land and time where offense is everywhere. Who is being offended with the label? Is it still offensive if its labeled virus from China?

I think this thread is a microcosm in a lot of ways. Sometimes people are looking for the offense, rather than what it actually might offend.

Agree. I don't really care what one calls it - we know what they're talking about - it originated in China and apparently has several names over which people are nitpicking. We all need to grow thicker skin in this world and not be easily offended. It's worse on a website. If we knew each other, we'd be friendlier for the most part. Sometimes emotions of the day get people carried away. Oh, well. I've had people b*tch at me since 6:20 this morning (2 hr ago) - gotta take it all in stride. Later.

The problem with calling it the China Virus is that some idiots out there have used it as an excuse to attack Asians. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/us/chinese-coronavirus-racist-attacks.html

Agree. I don't really care what one calls it - we know what they're talking about - it originated in China and apparently has several names over which people are nitpicking. We all need to grow thicker skin in this world and not be easily offended. It's worse on a website. If we knew each other, we'd be friendlier for the most part. Sometimes emotions of the day get people carried away. Oh, well. I've had people b*tch at me since 6:20 this morning (2 hr ago) - gotta take it all in stride. Later.

This is a great example. I will use you and I. We disagree on a lot of the stuff in this thread. At a THP Experience, we had a ton of fun together.

The problem with calling it the China Virus is that some idiots out there have used it as an excuse to attack Asians. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/us/chinese-coronavirus-racist-attacks.html

Oh yeah, I know it has happened, and its awful. Although I don't think calling it China Virus had much impact in that, it's not as if people didn't know the origin. Bad people are out there sadly.

My question was when did it become offensive? It was called that by CNN early on and nobody said anything. Now it is all of the sudden offensive as if it is different than Spanish Flu, MERS, etc. So when did it change and do we need to have some sort of national alert that says no more. Im asking genuinely because I can't seem to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back