Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate when I hear that argument that "they were not solid to begin with". Millions of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and small business is no different. The trickle impact is crazy to think about. Service company doesn't get paid by their vendors, they then can't pay suppliers, who can't pay workers. Now compound that with can't be landlord, who can't pay utilities and all oft the sudden a micro business with 5 employees is responsible for hundreds out of work.

I think a lot of people forget how many live paycheck to paycheck and you are right. The trickle down effect and the amount of people reliant on the service industry really came to light where I think many ignored or overlooked.

I think a lot of people forget how many live paycheck to paycheck and you are right. The trickle down effect and the amount of people reliant on the service industry really came to light where I think many ignored or overlooked.

I feel like 40+ million is just a number to a lot of people and doesn't really matter unless it impacts them. And I get it, it was mentioned earlier that 20k deaths is just a number. If the number fits the messaging you agree with, it is astronomical and huge. If it doesn't well then its just a number. A perfect parallel to this is health insurance. High numbers, meant death and the messaging mirrored that. Unemployment high numbers means death, but the messaging is different.

We live in the strangest society haha

Oh yeah, I know it has happened, and its awful. Although I don't think calling it China Virus had much impact in that, it's not as if people didn't know the origin. Bad people are out there sadly.

My question was when did it become offensive? It was called that by CNN early on and nobody said anything. Now it is all of the sudden offensive as if it is different than Spanish Flu, MERS, etc. So when did it change and do we need to have some sort of national alert that says no more. Im asking genuinely because I can't seem to understand.

There's a pretty good Times article (is that a no-no MSM, I'm not sure what's ok and not ok in the US) about naming of viruses and origin counties. I won't post it as it has political figures named. It also touches on the Spanish flu bases and why it goes by that, though in Spain they call it the French flu and shockingly enough, it never actually originated in Spain....

I feel like 40+ million is just a number to a lot of people and doesn't really matter unless it impacts them. And I get it, it was mentioned earlier that 20k deaths is just a number. If the number fits the messaging you agree with, it is astronomical and huge. If it doesn't well then its just a number. A perfect parallel to this is health insurance. High numbers, meant death and the messaging mirrored that. Unemployment high numbers means death, but the messaging is different.

We live in the strangest society haha

you can make the numbers fit any narrative and that's the scary part. It's hard to get the truth or clear picture with so much crap to filter through.

I know we all have our views and beliefs on what we should be doing, but fundamentally it's hard to ignore the huge economic impact (negative) that we are experiencing. It's bigger than my local spot not being open for brunch. We are on a slippery slope of debt disguised as "economic stimulus" that will unfortunately force more and more dependent on federal assistance to survive.

Funny to me I guess. Naming this the China virus is nowhere near as political as the reason the Spanish flu is named. I don’t see why this is a problem, other than I guess media politicizing almost everything

Went into an Italian restaurant over the weekend and ordered subs. No dine-in and everyone had masks and was 6 feet apart, but it feels like a start to return to normalcy. It was also nice to see a steady stream of customers coming in and their phone was ringing the whole time.

Angry mob is angry:

Best Twitter response I saw on it, from Katie Williams:

"The longer this goes on, it makes me realize WHY it was so easy for the holocaust to happen. When you instill fear and panic into a society you can turn the neighbors against each other and everything will become justified under fear."
Disclaimer: No one is saying covid=holocaust

This is what scares me far more than the virus - the average persons willingness to eagerly become secret government agents snitching on their neighbors, even taking matters into their own hands, all because the government and the media told them to. The Twitter quote above is extremely on topic because it shows how easily manipulated the average person is, even those who want to say "no, I'd never have done that". It's almost a cliche at this point but I can't help thinking about the famous Goering quote:

“...it’s always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it’s a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.”

It's uncanny how much that describes exactly what's happening today. You ever wonder why things are always wars, as in 'the war on terrorism" or "the war on covid"? Instilling fear in the masses is the single best way to motivate and manipulate.

Last edited:
I get all of that. I agreed there was context. My question is, who is it offensive towards? Was it offensive when news outlets labeled it as such early on? Or just when administrations did? Im genuinely asking, because this is fascinating to me.

I think there is a huge difference between “Chinese Coronavirus” of the early news reports and “China Virus” as we have here. I’m not a PC pirate at all but the difference is real and intentional.

There are literally 4 pages of arguing about what you can and can't call the virus and people think we're going to learn lessons when this is all over? No, we'll just argue about what those lessons should be then ultimately learn nothing at all.

There are literally 4 pages of arguing about what you can and can't call the virus and people think we're going to learn lessons when this is all over? No, we'll just argue about what those lessons should be then ultimately learn nothing at all.

What's funny is my original question was why someone chose what they did, not to correct anyone at all.

June is going to be the real test. If numbers don’t go up due to Memorial Day then I see a big easment if restrictions. However if we have a 2nd wave and numbers tick up, there will be tightening again.

This is a great example. I will use you and I. We disagree on a lot of the stuff in this thread. At a THP Experience, we had a ton of fun together.

Yes, it was fun, and these conversations usually go better in person than via the internet. We get caught up in the day, post stupd things, and I have found that issues related to situations like this don't go as well as we want. Had a girlfriend break up with me because I did not agree in the exact way with her over similar topics even though we agreed in general on most issues. I don't think differences are bad if we are open to the differences and listen wtih respect - hey, we may not agree but let's consider and respect other's thoughts. I've found some people can't do that - so you go your own way. Unfortunate but real. Even on this topic, as our knowledge base expanded, I've changed my mind as new info came in ... I don't know what to think any longer other than take care of yourself and go with your own risk without putting others at risk.

June is going to be the real test. If numbers don’t go up due to Memorial Day then I see a big easment if restrictions. However if we have a 2nd wave and numbers tick up, there will be tightening again.
It’s possible the outdoor activities have little effect. I’d be more wary of going to a crowded indoor place. I don’t think it will be a massive spike in June, but maybe I’m just being optimistic.

It’s possible the outdoor activities have little effect. I’d be more wary of going to a crowded indoor place. I don’t think it will be a massive spike in June, but maybe I’m just being optimistic.
At Lake of the Ozarks in MO this weekend, it was packed as if it was business as usual. St. Louis is asking anyone returning that were not practicing social distancing self-quarantine for 14 days. It was like spring break when all this started.

I have a group of friends that include two different types of doctors and an immunologist. I find it very interesting that the immunologist who's job it is to understand how diseases spread and combat it. He is eyeballs deep into this as a state employee and he absolutely cannot stand the CDC or Fauci. He thinks the have bumbled and messed this up at every step.

I was ok with quarantine to "flatten the curve". To "not overwhelm the heathcare system" well, that has been accomplished, it is time to give us our freedoms back. Let people make good decisions for themselves. If they do not want to go out. GREAT! don't go out.

I think I’m just gonna call it “Frank” from now on.

Careful.

HM2B2HS4J4I6TDW6VJSOFNRZ7I.jpg

And you just ruined hot dogs for me. Thanks for at least waiting to make this announcement until after my Memorial Day grilling.

How can you be so inconsiderate of all the Franks?:ROFLMAO:

At Lake of the Ozarks in MO this weekend, it was packed as if it was business as usual. St. Louis is asking anyone returning that were not practicing social distancing self-quarantine for 14 days. It was like spring break when all this started.

Saw those pics, and people admonished me for thinking my fellow Americans would not act responsibly. lol.

My strategy, after all of this, is to not rely on others to act responsibly, but to go about life with my own risk averse tendencies - go outside, play golf, go to grocers, exercise, see friends and avoid movies restaurants and bars except for uncrowded patios (indoor spots for more than 30 minutes). As we know more, I am amenable to change. Would love to travel but avoiding it for now.

I'm sure to go for a face shield fitting soon ... lol

And you just ruined hot dogs for me. Thanks for at least waiting to make this announcement until after my Memorial Day grilling.
This is a decision that was not taken lightly and I appreciate your understanding.

Saw those pics, and people admonished me for thinking my fellow Americans would not act responsibly. lol.

My strategy, after all of this, is to not rely on others to act responsibly, but to go about life with my own risk averse tendencies - go outside, play golf, go to grocers, exercise, see friends and avoid movies restaurants and bars except for uncrowded patios (indoor spots for more than 30 minutes). As we know more, I am amenable to change. Would love to travel but avoiding it for now.

I'm sure to go for a face shield fitting soon ... lol
I’m the same way. What pisses me off is that I now have a person in my house that is going through Chemo, so her immune system is very compromised. The last thing we need is Covid in our house. All that is being asked right now is to stay 6’ apart and even that cannot be followed.

I’m the same way. What pisses me off is that I now have a person in my house that is going through Chemo, so her immune system is very compromised. The last thing we need is Covid in our house. All that is being asked right now is to stay 6’ apart and even that cannot be followed.
But freedom!

:rolleyes:

(Edit: I agree with you, just to clarify)

But freedom!

:rolleyes:

(Edit: I agree with you, just to clarify)

I'll say it. I wish people cared 10% as much about the flu each year as they do this.
And before the brigade of "its not the same" comes out, I never said that and in fact if you go through this thread you will see from the beginning I said it was quite different.

As many here know, I have been a proponent of fist bumping instead of shaking for years. Why? Because people are ******* disgusting. Its not because I dont like them, its because I just watched them hold their cock in their hands to pee in the woods and then want to shake my hand or blow their nose into their sleeve and then want to hug.

It's cool, I am fine with it, but if people cared one iota about other contagious things instead of nothing, thousands of lives would be saved each year, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back