Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone disagreeing with you about some of these things does not mean you are getting mocked or killed. My goodness.
JB although it did happen, butmy post now wasnt at all to complain that i was mocked back then nor is it something that was bothering me. My only reason for bringing it up was to make the point or show example how most folks thought I was being ridiculous about a couple things which now are seeing them in different light. At least many folks may now be.
Ive always felt too many people have too many poor habits in which creates shared germs . Ive always maintained the idea (iot just here but in my personal life circle too) that one mans common sniffle/cold could out another person in the hospital. people would always (at home too) laugh at me for my vies on things that make for poor sharing of germs (like placing yoiur lips on a fountain spout imo is the exact same things as placing your used bottle up against the cooler spout.

I mean, I am no spring chicken, and I was taught to wash, then pee, then wash again. I am constantly amazed over my lifetime as to how many guys only do the pee part and then, OMG, they use the door handle - I never use the door handle in or out, or I use a towel.
This is something I've always pondered. When I walk into a bathroom, my hands have touched all kind of things and potentially picked up all manner of germs/bacteria/whatever. I know exactly where Mr. Willy has been - he was well washed in the shower and has been right there in my underwear all day, tucked away safe and sound and not touching anything. It makes a lot more sense to wash before using the bathroom, and afterward - well, I don't make a habit of peeing all over my hands, and the only thing I've touched is Mr. Willy, who we established before is nice and sanitary down there. You're going to get more gunk on your hands touching the towel dispenser and door handle on the way out than you did in the act of going to the bathroom. I still wash my hands afterward, but logically it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I sort of touched on this bit earlier in the thread. I often get kidded upon by family members and close friends for being a bit of a germophobe.
Some thinghs that always bothered me I felt are problematic and not many folks at all take them seriously enough.

Not using a serving spoon or fork in shared apps or food dishes.
No placemats on bare tables that do not have cleaned linens between seatingsand no where to place your utensils except a bare tablke that was wiped down with a half dirty cloth afgter which the last guest sneezed all over it.
Ketchup bottles (instead of squeeze type) in diners are disgusting. Ive seen folks put their used knives inside them not to mention bang them on thier plate filled with half eaten food and such.
On thsse very THO forums I once had gotten destroyed , mocked, and received so much negative feedback because I pointed out that too many folks directly place thier empty water bottle right onthe spout of the course water dispensing coolers. Thats is a terrible habbit. I also got mocked and killed for pointing out how some folks have the worst spitting habbit where as they (medical conditions aside) just simply spit every freaking few seconds all over the tee biox and greens etc,,,
So then you go fill your botttle at the cooler spout that someone basically licked via putting ther uses bottle against it and then after that you go place your tee in the ground right onto someones spit or you putt through it and then pick your ball up.

Well, Covid isn’t really spread that way much. But I take cross contanimiantion of chicken as a threat to the existence of mankind and will flamethrow every surface it touches.

Just because you do something and some other thing follows doesn't necessarily mean they're related. They might be, although for covid when you compare numbers out of Sweden with no SIP vs numbers out of other western countries that did and find essentially no difference in fatalities or the rate of infection you have to start questioning those things. You can also look to the later reports out of NYC that showed most new infections are in people that were already quarantined, or the simple differences between places in the US. Obviously you can't argue that closing the country didn't help in some way from a purely medical standpoint - it has to - but IMO there's little that tells me it made a meaningful, significant difference to the overall spread of covid besides the government saying "trust me bro".
But again,..(.and I dint think we are on totally different pages here) I do get what your suggesting.
but where it mattered most was the most densest place/s. It mattered in NYC and close surrounding area with its something like 23 million people in one single highly dense relatively small area.
Hey......even Staten island (one of NYC 5 boroughs) has been way behind in numbers acorss the board vs its 4 siblings being Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx , and Manhattan. In fact some are complaining they should ease things up (lol another story)Basically the population density (although high on SI) is no where near that of the other 4 boroughs. One,might suggest the SIP may not have helped SI all that much but it had to help a lot in the other 4 boroughs.

But the whole overcrowded area in general being NYC and its close neighbors of NJ and CT did only see drops after SIP where as prior it was taxing the daylights out of the hospitals and the workers. Would it had made a difference in many states and smaller cities across the nation? May be or not I really dont know . But it did make a difference here in/near the most crowded place.

Haircut secured. Gym session secured. Feeling normal again!

Speaking of spin, it feels like covid has made media bias much easier to spot. I see examples daily but here are a couple I picked at random.

When Texas started reopening you would see a bunch of alarmist headlines shotgunned across the front pages of various MSM sites:

Coronavirus Cases Surge In Texas Panhandle As State Continues To Reopen - NPR
Coronavirus cases are on the rise in Texas and other states that reopened early - CNBC
Texans Brace for a COVID-19 ‘Explosion’ Just Days After Reopening - DailyBeast (OK, that's not an actual news site but still)
Texas Sees Spike One Week After Economy Reopening - MSN

But then you see things reported here like this:

"Today Texas had the fewest #COVID19 fatalities since the end of March,” the Republican governor tweeted late Monday evening. “We also had the fewest COVID hospitalizations since the middle of April."

How many of these same sites, who do almost nothing but report covid news, do you think will report that? Same goes for Georgia which had doctors and politicians coming out of the woodwork to proclaim the state was all but murdering the citizenry. Did you know that Georgia’s rolling seven-day average of new daily cases has fallen for three weeks in a row? I bet you didn't because few reported it.

Or remember all the stories about Seattle converting the Seahawks stadium to a virtual MASH unit as it prepared for the onslaught of widespread death? That story was huge! But do you remember all the stories about how that stadium hospital closed without every seeing a single patient? Probably not because it blipped and then was gone, never to be discussed again.

I've never been one for conspiracy theories and maybe I'm imagining things or getting paranoid with cabin fever, but it seems pretty clear that the MSM has generally agreed upon a common covid narrative that they're all wanting to push no matter what the actual news may be.

Speaking of spin, it feels like covid has made media bias much easier to spot. I see examples daily but here are a couple I picked at random.

When Texas started reopening you would see a bunch of alarmist headlines shotgunned across the front pages of various MSM sites:

Coronavirus cases are on the rise in Texas and other states that reopened early - CNBC
Texans Brace for a COVID-19 ‘Explosion’ Just Days After Reopening - DailyBeast (OK, that's not an actual news site but still)

"Today Texas had the fewest #COVID19 fatalities since the end of March,” the Republican governor tweeted late Monday evening. “We also had the fewest COVID hospitalizations since the middle of April."

How many of these same sites, who do almost nothing but report covid news, do you think will report that? Same goes for Georgia which had doctors and politicians coming out of the woodwork to proclaim the state was all but murdering the citizenry. Did you know that Georgia’s rolling seven-day average of new daily cases has fallen for three weeks in a row? I bet you didn't because few reported it.

Or remember all the stories about Seattle converting the Seahawks stadium to a virtual MASH unit as it prepared for the onslaught of widespread death? That story was huge! But do you remember all the stories about how that stadium hospital closed without every seeing a single patient? Probably not because it blipped and then was gone, never to be discussed again.

I've never been one for conspiracy theories and maybe I'm imagining things or getting paranoid with cabin fever, but it seems pretty clear that the MSM has generally agreed upon a common covid narrative that they're all wanting to push no matter what the actual news may be.

The news sources were probably correct at the time they printed the story. You've got to be careful as to what stats they use. The Guv was on today from your link. But when Texas reopened, cases had not declined according to Fed guidelines, but we had hospital capacity ... so he opened up. That's okay - he tried to open up responsibly. What I tended to see is on the weekend or day after the weekend, Dallas County stats will go down and then go up during the week. Texas looks spikey - up and then down cycles.

As long as they can manage it ... and people work and respect each other ...

This will have major ramifications for the auto industry as a whole where rental companies buy fleets each year.

I read an article a few days ago estimating U.S. auto sales at about 12.5 million vehicles this year which would be down 4.53 million from last year. I won't be surprised if the deaths from suicides and overdoses/drug addiction surpass the direct Covid 19 deaths when we look back on this late next year.

I feel you. I’m going through similar and it downright sucks. I developed “chemo foot” (do yourself a flavor and don’t google it) recently and life has sucked since.

I’ve always viewed that as the cleanest part of my body. Now the number of guys that go #2 and walk out of the stall back to their feeding trough without washing is fricken just gross. I’m not a true germaphobe but if you see me using a public restroom there was no other way. None. There are few times when I untuck my shirt but if that’s what’s needed to open the door, I untuck my shirt and use it. I then sterilize (via flamethrower) that shirt.

Is this how you use multiquote, @JB ? Hmmm Lol!!!!!!

Most people have no clue on what daily items they touch that are a lot dirtier than items they think are full of germs. Cell phones and the kitchen sink have a lot more bacteria than a toilet or bathroom sink or faucet handle.

From the article:

Warning: If you're even a mild germaphobe, the following information may make you shudder.
Some of the things you touch all the time are absolutely teeming with bacteria. And we're not talking obvious-seeming offenders like toilet seats, either. Believe it or not, those are actually cleaner than the culprits listed below (which appear in no particular order). So grab your favorite sanitizer, microbe-loathers: It's time to dive in and get our hands dirty.
1. SPONGES AND DISHCLOTHS
Scrub-a-dub-dub! The very items you use to clean your hands and dishes are among the filthiest objects you encounter, according to numerous ick-inducing studies [PDF]. Kitchen sponges are the worst, with as many as 10 million bacteria per square inch—about 200,000 times more than your friendly neighborhood toilet seat.

I don't blow off conspiracy theories because, let's face it, humans have done some f'ed up things. But I think another reason the news might not report some of the good stories is that so many of the people who watch or read the news love a high body count. Anything contrary is boring and disappointing (sorry for the cynicism).

Irresponsible journalism - on either side of any issue - can be damaging regardless of the intent or motive, IMO.

I don't blow off conspiracy theories because, let's face it, humans have done some f'ed up things. But I think another reason the news might not report some of the good stories is that so many of the people who watch or read the news love a high body count. Anything contrary is boring and disappointing (sorry for the cynicism).

Irresponsible journalism - on either side of any issue - can be damaging regardless of the intent or motive, IMO.
some call it pandering, some call it preaching to the choir, some call it knowing your audience

Interesting article stating that nursing homes account for 42% of all Covid 19 deaths with only 1.8% of the population.

View attachment 8945846

this is why the second wave thing is bull. If we focus efforts on protecting long term care homes then the effects are massively mitigated.

...I've never been one for conspiracy theories and maybe I'm imagining things or getting paranoid with cabin fever, but it seems pretty clear that the MSM has generally agreed upon a common covid narrative that they're all wanting to push no matter what the actual news may be.
You're not imagining things and you're not paranoid. You're right on the money.

I read a lot of my news on the Apple News app on my phone. Every time I open it, the first few articles in "Top Stories" are all 'rona doom and gloom, and almost always from the same sources - chiefly WaPo, NYT, CNN and ABC/CBS/NBC (I have MSNBC blocked or I'm sure they'd figure prominently in it also). They all share the exact same narrative, and they all exult in Chicken Little sensationalism. You're not imagining things at all - they all have a common narrative and a common goal, and they all take their marching orders from the same place.

Well, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story, lol.

this is why the second wave thing is bull. If we focus efforts on protecting long term care homes then the effects are massively mitigated.

I am sure the "second wave" will get irresponsible and bombastic headlines.

The Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy at Harvard University did a study a while back and found the MSM reporting on the president to be 90% negative (Fox News was 53% negative). MSM ratings continue to fall...and no wonder, as they continue with "a pattern of inaccurate, sloppy, reckless, and even flat-out false stories".

Get ready. More and more of this will be coming to light:

Most world governments have known early on if not from the start and began posturing over the past few months.

While dumping on MSM is popular here, if you remember, Fox was essentially telling people not to take corona seriously before taking it seriously.

Speaking of MSM, yes, they get melodramatic sky is falliing about reopening, and that is ludicrous. But they do have a point -- when you see Lake of the Ozarks vids, Tybee Island vids, people without social distancing in church vids, people next to each other in bars like nothing happened pics - then MSM has a point.

But MSM needs to distnguish gradual, safe reopenings from people being foolish. If not, they lose credibiliity, as you see in above posts. Read an article last night about what health care pros would and would not do.

While dumping on MSM is popular here, if you remember, Fox was essentially telling people not to take corona seriously before taking it seriously.

Speaking of MSM, yes, they get melodramatic sky is falliing about reopening, and that is ludicrous. But they do have a point -- when you see Lake of the Ozarks vids, Tybee Island vids, people without social distancing in church vids, people next to each other in bars like nothing happened pics - then MSM has a point.

But MSM needs to distnguish gradual, safe reopenings from people being foolish. If not, they lose credibiliity, as you see in above posts. Read an article last night about what health care pros would and would not do.

Last time I checked FOX is also MSM...

Still have restrictions at the golf club. One person per cart, no water coolers on the course, Cups reversed to keep the ball from going into the cup. Social distancing required. No more than 4 people at a time in the pro shop. Fortunately, the beverage carts are running again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back