Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's the biggest thing with mask culture of today. of the people wearing them, at least 2/3s are doing it very poorly, to the point it is likely doing more harm than good.

Most people today at the Minneapolis and San Diego airports are not wearing masks and many who are have them pulled down around there neck, lol. For the adamant mask believers it will be a long time before you will be comfortable traveling by air.
;)

Except in Canada where masks are now required to be worn in many parts of airports and during flights.

Except in Canada where masks are now required to be worn in many parts of airports and during flights.

i had to wear one on the flight but if they are serving food and drinks and many on the flight had theirs off for extended periods.

that's the biggest thing with mask culture of today. of the people wearing them, at least 2/3s are doing it very poorly, to the point it is likely doing more harm than good.

Poorly...everyone doing it poorly. You have to have a full seal on mouth and eyes to actually combat it. No one except direct line healthcare workers or infectious disease experts r actually following proper protocol. All these masks your buying do not seal and I see hardly anyone with sealed goggles on eyes. This is nothing but a muzzle for people who have been dumbed down.
How come all the rioters and looters aren’t sick in hospitals. They r not wearing masks...it’s all a scam.

Poorly...everyone doing it poorly. You have to have a full seal on mouth and eyes to actually combat it. No one except direct line healthcare workers or infectious disease experts r actually following proper protocol. All these masks your buying do not seal and I see hardly anyone with sealed goggles on eyes. This is nothing but a muzzle for people who have been dumbed down.
How come all the rioters and looters aren’t sick in hospitals. They r not wearing masks...it’s all a scam.
do you cover your mouth when you cough/sneeze, or do you just let it fly and it's everybody else's fault if they get in the way

i don't see why other people get so offended by other people choosing to wear a dentist mask

Wearing a mask is the easiest thing to do in this whole situation. It doesn't make anyone look weak, or weird, or anything negative. Although they are a pain sometimes in terms of breathable materials, it's a small gesture we can do for each other. Nobody will think less of you.

You’d think so, until you work 15 hours a day and have 50% lung capacity. I have to wear something at work (I’m sure my doctater would write me a note if needed, and it was close to me asking).

Then I found this beauty. Other than the glare, 1000x better. I forget it’s on most of the time as I put a piece of foam on the forehead and loosened up the tie by using rubber bands. 100% exceptable in Ohio and those with trouble breathing I suggest you look into getting a couple. I paid 5.50 each for mine.

1D5FD601-6933-4E04-842D-5F9B0BBDF6DF.jpeg

Do you have to wipe down the doorknobs on the way in and out as well?
We have cleaners doing that, plus everyone is constantly cleaning their areas. We have 55 gallon drums of anti viral on site. Probably get some kind of cancer from all the spraying going on.

You’d think so, until you work 15 hours a day and have 50% lung capacity. I have to wear something at work (I’m sure my doctater would write me a note if needed, and it was close to me asking).

Then I found this beauty. Other than the glare, 1000x better. I forget it’s on most of the time as I put a piece of foam on the forehead and loosened up the tie by using rubber bands. 100% exceptable in Ohio and those with trouble breathing I suggest you look into getting a couple. I paid 5.50 each for mine.

View attachment 8947101
Our work wants us to wear those and masks. Fun times

That is not an accurate comparison. We have never done shutdowns for the flu. You can't compare non-shutdown flu numbers to Covid numbers during shutdowns.
Exactly what numbers are you referring to?
Unless I'm missing something, the percentages of deaths for infected persons wouldn't be skewed by shutdown vs. non-shutdown.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is the kind of irresponsible "news" that unnecessarily fuels the fear.
"PHOENIX - Friday was not a good day, as Arizona continues its battle against COVID-19.
According to numbers released by the Arizona Department of Health Services, 702 new cases of COVID-19 were reported on Friday, in addition to 28 new deaths."

I check the state DHS website daily to keep track of the numbers in Arizona. I didn't recall seeing such a spike so I did the responsible thing and checked again just now. New cases reported in Az last Friday? 355! Number of deaths last Friday? 3! I can only imagine the quoted 702 cases and 28 deaths were cumulative numbers over some period of time but that doesn't make headlines. The other problem is that there's no trend upward to support the headline. While the number of cases has risen it is still the same positive percentage as before the stay at home order was lifted but now there is greater testing (with antibody testing contributing to the number of cases as well). The death rate, however, has dropped over time.

"Arizona is also seeing its highest hospital numbers, with ER visits, ICU beds and ventilator use all hitting their highest numbers so far. Put all those numbers together, and it’s not what Arizona wants to see."

Another misleading quote from the same article. Directly from the Arizona DHS website:
1591142102774.png

Apparently doom and gloom reporting is "what Arizona wants to see"??

While I've not recorded my observations, most of the people I've seen with a mask have them below their nose, or constantly touching and adjusting the mask with their fingers.

This is the kind of irresponsible "news" that unnecessarily fuels the fear.
"PHOENIX - Friday was not a good day, as Arizona continues its battle against COVID-19.
According to numbers released by the Arizona Department of Health Services, 702 new cases of COVID-19 were reported on Friday, in addition to 28 new deaths."

I check the state DHS website daily to keep track of the numbers in Arizona. I didn't recall seeing such a spike so I did the responsible thing and checked again just now. New cases reported in Az last Friday? 355! Number of deaths last Friday? 3! I can only imagine the quoted 702 cases and 28 deaths were cumulative numbers over some period of time but that doesn't make headlines. The other problem is that there's no trend upward to support the headline. While the number of cases has risen it is still the same positive percentage as before the stay at home order was lifted but now there is greater testing (with antibody testing contributing to the number of cases as well). The death rate, however, has dropped over time.

"Arizona is also seeing its highest hospital numbers, with ER visits, ICU beds and ventilator use all hitting their highest numbers so far. Put all those numbers together, and it’s not what Arizona wants to see."

Another misleading quote from the same article. Directly from the Arizona DHS website:
View attachment 8947109

Apparently doom and gloom reporting is "what Arizona wants to see"??
They probably heard it from somebody who heard it from somebody.

Exactly what numbers are you referring to?
Unless I'm missing something, the percentages of deaths for infected persons wouldn't be skewed by shutdown vs. non-shutdown.

And Covid’s death rate is 20x the flu.

Not across all people. In fact not even close in healthy and young. Which is what I asked numerous times for the data to support this info.

That used to be thought to be the case. The head of WHO back in March popularized that idea, but he was comparing apples and oranges. He had estimated total cases in the denominator for the flu and only confirmed cases in the denominator for COVID-19. The CDC came out with new figures last week using estimated total COVID-19 cases which realizes a death rate of less than 0.3% for COVID-19. That is on par with most strains of the flu. Information changes fast when it comes to COVID-19.

Last edited:
We have cleaners doing that, plus everyone is constantly cleaning their areas. We have 55 gallon drums of anti viral on site. Probably get some kind of cancer from all the spraying going on.
I have thought about this on several occasions since the pandemic started. Sure, we are taking steps to protect ourselves and others, but in doing so we are increasing the impact we have on the environment. Restaurants not being open leads to extended vehicle idle times, all of the cleaning wipes/gloves/masks etc. that get used once and thrown away. I'm not a tree hugger by any means but if you stop and just think of how many masks will be discarded due to this virus the number is staggering.

DId a quick search. Here are a couple of sources. Tried not to use the typical MSM

Deaths

COVID-19: There have been approximately 375,994 deaths reported worldwide. In the U.S, 105,147 people have died of COVID-19, as of June 2, 2020.*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide.

In the U.S., from Oct. 1, 2019 – Apr. 4, 2020, the CDC estimates that 24,000 to 62,000 people died from the flu. (The CDC does not know the exact number because the flu is not a reportable disease in most parts of the U.S.)

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working to estimate the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be substantially higher than that of most strains of the flu.

The death rate from seasonal flu is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to news reports.

Though the death rate for COVID-19 is unclear, almost all credible research suggests it is much higher than that of the seasonal flu.

It's important to note that there is no one death rate for COVID-19; the rate can vary by location, age of person infected and the presence of underlying health conditions, Live Science previously reported.

Among reported COVID-19 cases in the U.S., nearly 6% have died. This is what's known as the case fatality rate, which is determined by dividing the number of deaths by the total number of confirmed cases. But the case fatality rate is limited for a few reasons. First, not everyone with COVID-19 is being diagnosed with the disease — this is in part due to testing limitations in the U.S. and the fact that people who experience mild or moderate symptoms may not be eligible for or seek out testing. As the number of confirmed cases goes up, the fatality rate may decrease.

Researchers from Columbia University recently estimated that only 1 in 12 cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. are documented, which they said would translate to an infection fatality rate of about 0.6%, according to The Washington Post. But even this lower estimate is still at least six times higher than that of the flu. (The case fatality rate in people who become sick with flu may be 0.1%, but when you account for people who become infected with flu but never show symptoms, the death rate will be half or even a quarter of that, the Post reported.)

I posted the article earlier
No you posted an article saying it was 20x greater for old people and co -morbidity . Look up the raw data

DId a quick search. Here are a couple of sources. Tried not to use the typical MSM

Deaths

COVID-19: There have been approximately 375,994 deaths reported worldwide. In the U.S, 105,147 people have died of COVID-19, as of June 2, 2020.*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide.

In the U.S., from Oct. 1, 2019 – Apr. 4, 2020, the CDC estimates that 24,000 to 62,000 people died from the flu. (The CDC does not know the exact number because the flu is not a reportable disease in most parts of the U.S.)

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working to estimate the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be substantially higher than that of most strains of the flu.

The death rate from seasonal flu is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to news reports.

Though the death rate for COVID-19 is unclear, almost all credible research suggests it is much higher than that of the seasonal flu.

It's important to note that there is no one death rate for COVID-19; the rate can vary by location, age of person infected and the presence of underlying health conditions, Live Science previously reported.

Among reported COVID-19 cases in the U.S., nearly 6% have died. This is what's known as the case fatality rate, which is determined by dividing the number of deaths by the total number of confirmed cases. But the case fatality rate is limited for a few reasons. First, not everyone with COVID-19 is being diagnosed with the disease — this is in part due to testing limitations in the U.S. and the fact that people who experience mild or moderate symptoms may not be eligible for or seek out testing. As the number of confirmed cases goes up, the fatality rate may decrease.

Researchers from Columbia University recently estimated that only 1 in 12 cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. are documented, which they said would translate to an infection fatality rate of about 0.6%, according to The Washington Post. But even this lower estimate is still at least six times higher than that of the flu. (The case fatality rate in people who become sick with flu may be 0.1%, but when you account for people who become infected with flu but never show symptoms, the death rate will be half or even a quarter of that, the Post reported.)

Yes we have seen that data , it doesn’t support some of the arguments here. CDC estimates 0.26% mortality rate. And again asymptomatic is unknown. Especially in young people. Not to mention co-morbidity. You have to compare total death rates versus average years and normalize to get a real picture.

I have thought about this on several occasions since the pandemic started. Sure, we are taking steps to protect ourselves and others, but in doing so we are increasing the impact we have on the environment. Restaurants not being open leads to extended vehicle idle times, all of the cleaning wipes/gloves/masks etc. that get used once and thrown away. I'm not a tree hugger by any means but if you stop and just think of how many masks will be discarded due to this virus the number is staggering.
I think you’ve got the environmental impact backwards. Significantly less traffic on the roads and in the air. I can’t speak to waste production, but there has been evidence of improving air quality during the pandemic.

Our work wants us to wear those and masks. Fun times

I’ve heard a couple local employees that have told their employees that they still have to wear a mask but don’t have to do both.

My company is basically going with whatever the governors Covid Guidelines are. I read several articles by credible epidemiologists stating that in general these are better to protect you than a cloth or throwaway surgical mask.

I never touch my face. I had to adjust the masks anytime I spoke. I can wear my glasses without them fogging to Hell (most others don’t have that problem too bad with masks but I did, probably because I’m breathing 2x as many breaths as anyone else even if only small ones?? So I am very happy with it. We actually had our companies chief counsel get clearance from the state on wearing them before they gave the go ahead. Which was good because I’ve got a lot of old lady smokers here and masks? They’re not good for me nor them. These have eliminated 98% of the misery (and the endless bitching, lol).

You said your work “wants” both? Are they enforcing it? What state are you in? Me I’m usually in a state of concussion or misery but I live in Ohio.

I’ve heard a couple local employees that have told their employees that they still have to wear a mask but don’t have to do both.

My company is basically going with whatever the governors Covid Guidelines are. I read several articles by credible epidemiologists stating that in general these are better to protect you than a cloth or throwaway surgical mask.

I never touch my face. I had to adjust the masks anytime I spoke. I can wear my glasses without them fogging to Hell (most others don’t have that problem too bad with masks but I did, probably because I’m breathing 2x as many breaths as anyone else even if only small ones?? So I am very happy with it. We actually had our companies chief counsel get clearance from the state on wearing them before they gave the go ahead. Which was good because I’ve got a lot of old lady smokers here and masks? They’re not good for me nor them. These have eliminated 98% of the misery (and the endless bitching, lol).

You said your work “wants” both? Are they enforcing it? What state are you in? Me I’m usually in a state of concussion or misery but I live in Ohio.

I am in Arizona, company headquarters are in Germany so I think it is more CYA. Safety dept seems to be winging it, but definitely all rules are enforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back