Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look. I’ve lost everything because of this shut down. I understand I’m in the minority, but my life has been ruined. I am a sole prop so I don’t get PPP and I can’t apply for unemployment yet. So I went 2 weeks without work due to tornadoes and now 3 months.
Imagine going 3 months without work.... how would that affect you?? I am not inconvenienced, I have been *****. So go ahead, keep the economy shut down, forget about the people none of these rules apply too.... the little guy. I doubt we will reopen. But hey. Stay at home, you do you. Glad you still have a job? I don’t and it’s not my fault. AT ALL. I have been FORCED to close. If anyone wants the perspective of what it’s really like for a small business owner who somehow doesn’t apply for any relief, come at me.

As far as I can tell you are all very lucky and no one in this thread has been financially ruined; I have. I was doing very well before the shut down, now I’ve lost everything. I had savings, I had everything. Now I have nothing. And for what? Tell me seriously.... for what?
I am so sorry you are going through this Will. We know people going through a very similar thing and also know depending on how things pick up, we could be next come next year just like any other business owner.

Rooting for you and keep us updated. In the meantime someone on the forum is giving away AC memberships right now to those that want them and I can’t think of a person that could use a bright spot more.

Look. I’ve lost everything because of this shut down. I understand I’m in the minority, but my life has been ruined. I am a sole prop so I don’t get PPP and I can’t apply for unemployment yet. So I went 2 weeks without work due to tornadoes and now 3 months.
Imagine going 3 months without work.... how would that affect you?? I am not inconvenienced, I have been *****. So go ahead, keep the economy shut down, forget about the people none of these rules apply too.... the little guy. I doubt we will reopen. But hey. Stay at home, you do you. Glad you still have a job? I don’t and it’s not my fault. AT ALL. I have been FORCED to close. If anyone wants the perspective of what it’s really like for a small business owner who somehow doesn’t apply for any relief, come at me.

As far as I can tell you are all very lucky and no one in this thread has been financially ruined; I have. I was doing very well before the shut down, now I’ve lost everything. I had savings, I had everything. Now I have nothing. And for what? Tell me seriously.... for what?

Will, one more quick note. There have been a number of sole proprietor businesses that have been able to apply and receive PPP. Hopefully you are able to look into that and possibly grab some for assistance.

NBA returning July 31st

But many are ignoring the fact that a shutdown also causes deaths not directly from the Covid 19 virus. Each week we extend the lockdown causes thousands of deaths so it's not as simple as SIP to save lives as SIP orders may cost more life-years than they save.

My wife works for the largest Healthcare Insurance company in the U.S. and they are seeing record profits because elective surgeries are down as well as chemo treatments, etc. People are afraid to go to the doctor or hospital and many early cancer screenings will not happen because of it. Their outcomes will be much worse without early detection.

An article that lays out the indirect human lives lost because of the shutdown.

Two quotes from the article published on 5/25/20.

"Here are the examples of missed health care on which we base our calculations: Emergency stroke evaluations are down 40 percent. Of the 650,000 cancer patients receiving chemotherapy in the United States, an estimated half are missing their treatments. Of the 150,000 new cancer cases typically discovered each month in the U.S., most – as elsewhere in the world – are not being diagnosed, and two-thirds to three-fourths of routine cancer screenings are not happening because of shutdown policies and fear among the population. Nearly 85 percent fewer living-donor transplants are occurring now, compared to the same period last year. In addition, more than half of childhood vaccinations are not being performed, setting up the potential of a massive future health disaster."

"In comparison, COVID-19 fatalities have fallen disproportionately on the elderly, particularly in nursing homes, and those with co-morbidities. Based on the expected remaining lifetimes of these COVID-19 patients, and given that 40 percent of deaths are in nursing homes, the disease has been responsible for 800,000 lost years of life so far. Considering only the losses of life from missed health care and unemployment due solely to the lockdown policy, we conservatively estimate that the national lockdown is responsible for at least 700,000 lost years of life every month, or about 1.5 million so far — already far surpassing the COVID-19 total."

I noticed you didn't get a reply, lol.

So it turns out that major study about the dangers of chloroquine... was complete bunk.
Not shocked.

This was a lie ⬆...

Wow, that’s tough... Donny T will surely be waiting for the apology lineup lmao! He got put on blast big time for this whole thing.

Hiding in plain sight, false data driving the conversation from all directions. It’s wild. I miss the days when Wikipedia was the most questionable source available haha

I am gutted for you, Will.

Here’s hoping change is coming soon that will allow you to get back to some semblance of normalcy.

News!
Unemployment just went up another 2 million it looks like.

Just an inconvenience and its not really hurting anyone because the Fed's balance sheet is now $9 trillion. Trillion here trillion there. At some point we are talking about real money.

Loot and riot without masks and social distancing = no problem
Go to the park with your kid or attend drive through church = federal offense

Continue on sheeple and wear your mask.

What's your PayPal account?

If we don't see a massive uptick in COVID deaths after the lack of riot social distancing then I guess they can remove that fake claim too.

A friend just texted me from the Palm Springs area saying that rakes are still not allowed despite playing in 112F today. But, no problem grabbing a gas pump handle or windshield washer squeegee.

A friend just texted me from the Palm Springs area saying that rakes are still not allowed despite playing in 112F today. But, no problem grabbing a gas pump handle or windshield washer squeegee.
I like the whole no rake thing. Pick your ball up, fluff your lie and proceed to knock it writhing 1 foot.
If we don't see a massive uptick in COVID deaths after the lack of riot social distancing then I guess they can remove that fake claim too.
Any riot deaths will be blamed on Covid.

I like the whole no rake thing. Pick your ball up, fluff your lie and proceed to knock it writhing 1 foot.

Any riot deaths will be blamed on Covid.
You know it's kinda funny about the lack of rakes (I agree BTW), but also the traps have developed a harder surface so it's easier to hit fairway trap shots.

The problem is there is no hold harmless legislation. So these businesses have to genuflect to the people who have bought into the fear because they don't want to get sued.

Its not enough they destroyed people's lives and their children's lives they want to destroy everything in sight for 6 months. They didn't lockdown in 57 or 68 because the entire country would have gone under. The internet work from home people kept the fear rolling because they had nothing at stake and the business owners destroyed except the ones with a powerful DC lobby.

The looting and rioting script could have been written a month ago as the "crown" kept people locked up for no reason. All their plans coming together at just the right point in the year. Maybe a tad too early but pretty close to perfect.

Last edited:
The problem is there is no hold harmless legislation. So these businesses have to genuflect to the people who have bought into the fear because they don't want to get sued.

Its not enough they destroyed people's lives and their children's lives they want to destroy everything in sight for 6 months.

The looting and rioting script could have been written a month ago as the "crown" kept people locked up for no reason. All their plans coming together at just the right point in the year. Maybe a tad too early but pretty close to perfect.
Good points. But how would anyone ever be able to provide evidence that a death was caused by a sand rake or sand bottle? Seems to me the gas stations are the most open for liability, but even then it would be impossible to prove cause of death. But I get your point.

Good points. But how would anyone ever be able to provide evidence that a death was caused by a sand rake or sand bottle? Seems to me the gas stations are the most open for liability, but even then it would be impossible to prove cause of death. But I get your point.
I agree. I don't know about where you are but gas stations in MD have signs up that PPE is available for customers. So they, like most businesses here, are doing a little CYA. I don't think any of it could be proved but if the businesses were doing absolutely nothing they would be shelling out bank in legal fees. Someone always wants to sue for something and the Corona being in the media so much and the media hating small businesses it would provide the needed attention to make the business owner's lives miserable.

Last edited:
I agree. I don't know about where you are but gas station in MD have signs up that PPE is available for customers. So they like most businesses here are doing a little CYA. I don't think any of it could be proved but if the businesses were doing absolutely nothing they would be shelling out bank in legal fees. Someone always wants to sue for something and the Corona being in the media so much and the media hating small businesses it would provide the needed attention to make the business owner's lives miserable.
I'm in SOCAL. People touch so many things each day that it would be nearly impossible to bring a case to trial. That said, anyone can file a lawsuit for about any reason. I think the people making masks and selling them are the most open to liability. I found a company who is offering individually packaged sterilized masks made in the USA. If I need to wear a mask, I'm buying those masks.

Had my antibodies blood test today, should have results in the AM. So far all cowarlers have been negative for the antibodies

Thankfully the hospital changed policy that if we were negative that we would have to get the nasal swabs every couple weeks. Notmw that's just certain departments like the OR

Its not enough they destroyed people's lives and their children's lives they want to destroy everything in sight for 6 months. They didn't lockdown in 57 or 68 because the entire country would have gone under. The internet work from home people kept the fear rolling because they had nothing at stake and the business owners destroyed except the ones with a powerful DC lobby.

This is exactly true. The people who had nothing to lose ( work at home and people making more on unemployment) were happy to keep it rolling. I manage a little over 100 people, engineers, chemists and techs. Engineers making $100k wanted to work, techs making $50k wanted to stay home.

This is exactly true. The people who had nothing to lose ( work at home and people making more on unemployment) were happy to keep it rolling. I manage a little over 100 people, engineers, chemists and techs. Engineers making $100k wanted to work, techs making $50k wanted to stay home.
How do people make more on unemployment? CA max is $450/week (for much higher paid folks), not min wage folks. That's like $11.25/hour. Min wage in many areas is $15/hr. Then I looked at the Federal CARE act and it pays $600/week but it appears the loss of job must be directly related to COVID which seems like a hurdle for most folks. Plus, the Fed program (I think) ends July 31st.

Will - Sole Props can apply for PPP and my Bank is still accepting applications for customers and non-customers. Reach out to me if I can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back