Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the topic of delays:

Ordered another Peloton bike two days ago. 11 weeks lead time! That's wild. The last one was delivered in a week.

Supply chain and demand are killing me. I’m looking for a push cart, bikes, a trampoline, and a Nintendo switch. Everything is out of stock!
One of the guys in my regular golf group runs his own appliance repair business. He was telling me this morning he had a lady who needed $650 worth of work on a $750 washing machine. Obviously she wan't going to repair it. That was, of course, until she found out that a new unit wasn't going to be available until September:eek:. Needless to say she paid for the repair.:facepalm:

Just got home from golf and turned on the TV. TSN is showing the Xfinity race from Bristol that was ran on Monday. Looks super weird with nobody in the stands. I've been a couple of times, but I had no idea how steep the bleachers look without bodies in them

Furniture is nuts right now. Months out for delivery due to shutdowns.
One of my customers is a local furniture chain of about 6 stores. They are going gang busters with sales. A good sign of pent up demand.

So CDC should delete NY Deaths from stats? No, don't think so.

Most recent articles from the health community believe deaths are undercounted. Next time I read another one, I will post it.

But if you look at the article, it basically said those under 50 have a very low death rate, which is the question to whiich the post was responding.

So the way to do the chart to satisfy curiousity would be to calculate the graph with and without NY deaths and see if there is a statistical difference.
What I'm saying is that NY is very much an outlier as to its numbers, not unlike northern Italy. But where northern Italy was only so due to demographics, NY is largely self inflicted as to its skewed numbers.

I used to work for the city as a police officer and call me cynical but I saw first hand their habitual penchant to toy with numbers. My guess is that they're off on the high side by as much as 20%.

Much like the way off predictive models that forecasted far more death, we keep hearing about these undercounted deaths to be forthcoming. And like those models, I simply do not believe it. Dr. Birx agrees as she believes there to be vast over counting.

In the future, I'd anticipate auditing of the situation to reflect reductions in deaths, like we've seen in Colorado.

NY, while I believe them to be hiding some nursing home deaths, their overall would absolutely come down if only by their own admission as to coding practices.

What I'm saying is that NY is very much an outlier as to its numbers, not unlike northern Italy. But where northern Italy was only so due to demographics, NY is largely self inflicted as to its skewed numbers.

I used to work for the city as a police officer and call me cynical but I saw first hand their habitual penchant to toy with numbers. My guess is that they're off on the high side by as much as 20%.

Much like the way off predictive models that forecasted far more death, we keep hearing about these undercounted deaths to be forthcoming. And like those models, I simply do not believe it. Dr. Birx agrees as she believes there to be vast over counting.

In the future, I'd anticipate auditing of the situation to reflect reductions in deaths, like we've seen in Colorado.

NY, while I believe them to be hiding some nursing home deaths, their overall would absolutely come down if only by their own admission as to coding practices.

Thx. That's why I said if one could, take NY/NYC data out of the graph, get the age groups from the rest of the country and see if you get a statistical difference.

What I've seen is that these models and predictions change by the week - over a month ago, all we heard about was overcountiing and now I'm readiing about undercounting - it's like getting whiplash.

Hopefully, we learn more about this virus as summer makes its debut. Heck, it's going to be 95F in Dallaas today - wonder if that heat and humidiity will have an effect.

So you believe hospitals were committing fraud in recording causes of death? As to the NY nursing homes, that would skew the numbers toward higher age groups than otherwise.
I'm saying that they're vastly overcounting presumed cases rather than merely the verified.

They've already admitted to this practice when they literally added 3,700 deaths to the rolls overnight for what they called previous deaths "presumed to be" Covid-19 deaths.

Round of Golf today in Georgia.

Course is back to normal 8 minute separation tee times. Carts are back to 2 golfers per.

Water points, removed, ball cleaners removed, and Pool Noodle in hole still remain. Along with the local rule of no pulling the flag.

For bunkers each cart is given a rake.

Overall it seems to be moving closer and closer to normal. The Callaway rep was present for a demo day and besides them cleaning grips and wearing gloves it seemed pretty normal.

I guess the one thing we'll quickly find out with the ongoing protests is if there will be a significant increase to community transmission or not. If no major spike then sports with fans in the stands may be possible this fall.

Local Impact ... disconnect when economic pain meets few illnesses

Thanks for sharing the link. It’s funny how it reads like someone just now figuring out that grass is green. Do you really need to explain how forcing businesses to close for 3 months would be bad for business, and that people actually rely on those businesses to buy groceries and stuff? The author seems genuinely surprised to discover all this.

Ranges open here on Monday (MA), but you have to wear a mask. :rolleyes:

That’s silly. If it’s hot I can work up a big sweat on the range. I’m sure I’d be gasping for air halfway through the bucket.

I know, right? And you have to wear one on the practice putting green, and any other place you practice. Fortunately you don't have to wear one on the course. Maybe if I carried a protest sign I wouldn't have to wear a mask? lol
Just mask your emotions and use that as your defense if anyone says otherwise.

Yes, if you are decent distance from others at the range, I don't really see the point. More bureaucratic silliness.
There's never been any basis for the regulations...all haphazard BS. I just heard about one guy who was 53 who died in a week from COVID who lived with 3 kids and wife. I cannot verify if the guy had an underlying condition (the person said he did not) because often times the messenger is just repeating what the family said. However, I find odd that nobody else in his immediate family, his friends, or extended family tested positive. It's kinda like the cruise ships where they predicted mass death yet it didn't materialize. There's enough data out there to suggest distancing doesn't correlate to contracting COVID.

There's never been any basis for the regulations...all haphazard BS. I just heard about one guy who was 53 who died in a week from COVID who lived with 3 kids and wife. I cannot verify if the guy had an underlying condition (the person said he did not) because often times the messenger is just repeating what the family said. However, I find odd that nobody else in his immediate family, his friends, or extended family tested positive. It's kinda like the cruise ships where they predicted mass death yet it didn't materialize. There's enough data out there to suggest distancing doesn't correlate to contracting COVID.
Was he bald/balding?

Just mask your emotions and use that as your defense if anyone says otherwise.

I’m rocking an apocobeard. It has protected me so far. Full faith in the apocobeard to defeat this virus!

I don't know, but if that's a pre-existing condition that's not good! I always feel like there's more to all these stories than people say.
Recent developments have scientists thinking it may be actually a factor. Thank you to something called androgens. Everything I’ve read to this point talks about Ace 2 receptors as the path C19 use to enter the cells. Now there are signs androgens may help the virus do that. It’s bad enough us bald / balding guys lose out on the ladies, etc., now we may actually die, too.

How many times have we read in the past few months about Phildelphia War Bonds parade in 1918 that led to a massive explosion of the Spanish Flu? Example was repeteadly used to justify lockdowns. I guess social distancing isn’t important anymore?

How many times have we read in the past few months about Phildelphia War Bonds parade in 1918 that led to a massive explosion of the Spanish Flu? Example was repeteadly used to justify lockdowns. I guess social distancing isn’t important anymore?

It is basic science . Coronavirus does not spread at protests, only at restaurants, airlines , buying seed, single use boaters, and visiting relatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back