Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I happened to go to Costco about 2weeks ago before the closings and bought the 6 months supply package of TP, the wife and i are good. Besides that i have about 2 packs of single ply the bestest half picked up by accident a year or so ago......so there's that

All schools are closed till the end of April here as of now and that could change.
I am prepping numerous laptops and accounts for people to work from home.
I on the other hand do not get to work from home as I have a lot of hands on IT work in the plant.
Manufacturing employees here are still working and building aircraft parts like normal.
Should an employee get infected, the plant will close for 24 hours and a contracted company will come in and do a deep clean.
Then we'll be back open. I'm not sure if this would be cyclical should another employee get infected after the deep clean.
The wife started working from home today for her job.
So far my home golf course is saying they are reopening this weekend since the snow melted again.

My club sent an email this morning that inside dining/drinking and the gym will be closed starting today. The course, range, and tennis courts are still open along with togo food.

My wife's company has already had to terminate an employee who claimed a positive Covid 19 test to get two weeks paid time off. What type of person lies about such a thing??

What is your basis to say that the numbers are misleading ? Do you have another source that caused you to say this ?
Because our testing numbers are quite low, which means our confirmed cases are WAY off what they probably really are. Even if our testing was highly proactive, we'd still have a decent percentage of the infected population not being represented as many of the cases of COVID-19 are mild and therefore not diagnosed.

My wife's company has already had to terminate an employee who claimed a positive Covid 19 test to get two weeks paid time off. What type of person lies about such a thing??
they wouldn't happen to have a garage full of sanitizing products and TP, would they?

A Sh**y and not so smart one. Did they not think they would request documentation of some sort.

Because our testing numbers are quite low, which means our confirmed cases are WAY off what they probably really are. Even if our testing was highly proactive, we'd still have a decent percentage of the infected population not being represented as many of the cases of COVID-19 are mild and therefore not diagnosed.

There's a number of people locally, presenting for testing, positive risk factors, negative for other things.
but not "sick enough" for the test. just being sent home for self quarantine.

I'm with you on this line of reasoning.

that being said, only testing the sick of the sick currently, no one has been positive here (3 day lag in testing as of yesterday)

We got a positive test in my county.

This is gonna be a long year.

British Columbia is up to 183 cases, 7 deaths.

The best and most comprehensive 30,000-foot view of COVID 19 from a Stanford professor. There is a lot to digest in the article but he makes the point that we don't know what the death rate is. He makes the case for it to be anywhere from 0.05% to 1%. They need to get this guy on TV.

John P.A. Ioannidis is professor of medicine, of epidemiology and population health, of biomedical data science, and of statistics at Stanford University and co-director of Stanford’s Meta-Research Innovation Center.

There is a flood of Canadian’s leaving Florida and other U.S. states right now flying back north. I confirmed this yesterday talking with friends and my wife’s mom who live in condos in Naples.

$5000 government loans to Canadians abroad to return home.

$25 billion in stimulus to be announced by Canada. Growth 0.2%

British Columbia is up to 183 cases, 7 deaths.

6 in Lynn Valley Care Centre, the 7th was in their 80s.

Testing numbers should sharply rise in the coming week as test results arrive.

Last edited:
From the Johns Hopkins website, updated at 11:33 PM EDT:

Confirmed U S Cases: 6,362
Deaths: 108 (1.70%)
Total Recovered: 17

Global Fatality Rate is at 4.01%

And almost a 1/4 of those deaths are from the Life Care place in Washington state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$5000 government loans to Canadians abroad.

$25 billion in stimulus to be announced by Canada. Growth 0.2%

The big reason they need to return is they need travel health insurance when they are in the U.S. and that insurance is expiring March 23rd. The four Canadian couples that own a condo in my mother-in-laws Naples building of 32 units all returned to Canada in the last few days. The same is true for the seven Canadians in our condo complex. No doubt some of them will be stuck in the US and might need the $5k loan. If they get COVID 19 and get sick enough to be hospitalized it could obviously bankrupt them.

As those pesky MBA consultant millenials like to say, we have gone from "we don't know what we don't know" to "we know what we don't know." Notice that pesky MBA consultant millenials don't like to qualify their statements.

All local ski hills in southwest BC closed by the end of the day.

The best and most comprehensive 30,000-foot view of COVID 19 from a Stanford professor. There is a lot to digest in the article but he makes the point that we don't know what the death rate is. He makes the case for it to be anywhere from 0.05% to 1%. They need to get this guy on TV.

John P.A. Ioannidis is professor of medicine, of epidemiology and population health, of biomedical data science, and of statistics at Stanford University and co-director of Stanford’s Meta-Research Innovation Center.

Very good article. Yes they need to get him on TV...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Schools closed here until end of April.

Canada: $27bn in stimulus/aid, $55bn in tax deferrals

Very good article. Yes they need to get him on TV...

He confirmed what I've been thinking and said here somewhere: a really good use of about 10,000 (or whatever number is statistically valid) test kits would be to administer them to a randomized sample of apparently healthy Americans who previously have not tested positive. This would give a baseline of how many people are floating around with COVID-19 in them. That could help to drive policy.

He confirmed what I've been thinking and said here somewhere: a really good use of about 10,000 (or whatever number is statistically valid) test kits would be to administer them to a randomized sample of apparently healthy Americans who previously have not tested positive. This would give a baseline of how many people are floating around with COVID-19 in them. That could help to drive policy.
Legally, you would have to request volunteers. The government would not be able to force the test upon anyone.

Yes. How many people have Covid-19 and show no signs of the virus? I think many do. We were not prepared for a pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back