Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has your area discussed lawsuits?

We and other schools had already setup to go distant learning, but were stopped by the PDE when the fear came out that any student without internet or on a Special Needs program could and probably would sue the district for not providing the same education to all.

They are trying to get a work around as it is becoming much clearer that school is not going back any time soon.

The school district in my little town has had to take this into consideration. If they require kids to learn then they have to provide the Same type of education for all.

From what I understand, As of now kids aren't required to do anything at home.

We and other schools had already setup to go distant learning, but were stopped by the PDE when the fear came out that any student without internet or on a Special Needs program could and probably would sue the district for not providing the same education to all.

They are trying to get a work around as it is becoming much clearer that school is not going back any time soon.

Locally the internet providers are offering free internet to those who don’t have it, and forgiving late bills for people who were about to have their Internet **** off (or their power or water for that matter). All evictions have been postponed so no one is displaced either. The schools are all setting up distance learning and providing the necessary materials to families in need.

I don’t have kids, but I have friends with kids, and from everything they are telling me, the county has done a really good job of getting this distance learning thing implemented.

Oh man, this is something...

Sketchy source or no, GameStop is not going to come out of this looking good. Lots of companies have shut down and paid their employees, I don’t know GS reasons, but it comes off like a money grab to me.

I have been wondering about the strain to the network with all of these kids working from home at the same time. It will have a huge impact On networks.

I saw a brief article that the infrastructure in the US overall was doing ok with the increased demand. The EU is struggling and most of the streaming providers have dropped the quality of their streams to ease bandwidth usage.

I have little doubt that schools across the country are going to "call" the remainder of the year. I know many are talking about distance learning, but realistically there is a segment of kids still left behind there since not all have internet access.

We (OK) got approval today to not have to take end of year tests, which tells me they are clearing the way for this to happen.

Very similar here. I’m pretty sure the kids won‘t be going back, and they’re working out what distance learning is going to look like. One of the High Schools here has setup an actual plan, and has tested it in the last couple of years. They worked with some local businesses to provide WiFi hotspots for people that need it, and have WiFi in the school parking lot so kids can come submit work while sitting in their cars.

This highlights something I’ve been saying for a long time, Internet access needs to be treated like a utility. All of the big corps whined and cried about how expensive it was to lay all the cable, and how unfair completion is, so they could justify monopolizing Internet access, well, they need to be treated like an electric, gas or water provider. In today’s day and age internet access is not a luxury, it’s a necessity

Locally the internet providers are offering free internet to those who don’t have it, and forgiving late bills for people who were about to have their Internet **** off (or their power or water for that matter). All evictions have been postponed so no one is displaced either. The schools are all setting up distance learning and providing the necessary materials to families in need.

I don’t have kids, but I have friends with kids, and from everything they are telling me, the county has done a really good job of getting this distance learning thing implemented.
Same here, but seems that isn’t enough according to our Department of Education. We have parents on both sides acting like we are not helping or providing for their students. Since we are a one to one school, with every student having a computer at home, easily can provide distance learning. But, in the end, it’s just going to hurt everyone. Oh, and some greedy people will sue school districts all over the country and will win most likely. We literally settle on every case because it’s just cheaper to settle then fight in court. That will just cost the tax payers.

Same here, but seems that isn’t enough according to our Department of Education. We have parents on both sides acting like we are not helping or providing for their students. Since we are a one to one school, with every student having a computer at home, easily can provide distance learning. But, in the end, it’s just going to hurt everyone. Oh, and some greedy people will sue school districts all over the country and will win most likely. We literally settle on every case because it’s just cheaper to settle then fight in court. That will just cost the tax payers.

That is so sad. Sometimes I really hate people. The bad always ruin it for the good.

I felt our family was doing a great job with social distancing over the last few weeks. Our move to Florida couldn’t have happened at a worst time. Add in the stressors of moving, arriving in a new location, & the fact that we have no other family members around us here. Really tough times.

So now we have a Moving truck that needs to be unloaded into a storage unit with no One to assist. My brother in law was supposed to come down, but they changed their plans.

Question is - do I take the risk of using MovingHelpNow not knowing who the folks that will be assisting have come into contact with?

I felt our family was doing a great job with social distancing over the last few weeks. Our move to Florida couldn’t have happened at a worst time. Add in the stressors of moving, arriving in a new location, & the fact that we have no other family members around us here. Really tough times.

So now we have a Moving truck that needs to be unloaded into a storage unit with no One to assist. My brother in law was supposed to come down, but they changed their plans.

Question is - do I take the risk of using MovingHelpNow not knowing who the folks that will be assisting have come into contact with?

This sucks for you and your family.
Is it something that you and your family are not capable of? Meaning heavy items, etc? If so, maybe wait a bit?

If its a financial stress of the truck, you might have no choice, right? The good news is that most say touching objects and such will be free and clear after 14 days. So you could hire people to do it and then leave the stuff “quarantined” for those 2 weeks.

My wife has stopped calling me a paranoid prepper...so I have that going for me.

Things are a bit crazy in NY today since Andy's announcement yesterday. My sister was out and saw some dude and his family with 5 carts of toilet paper. Others pushing and shoving for water.

Looking forward to my drive to work Monday, should be peaceful.

This sucks for you and your family.
Is it something that you and your family are not capable of? Meaning heavy items, etc? If so, maybe wait a bit?

If its a financial stress of the truck, you might have no choice, right? The good news is that most say touching objects and such will be free and clear after 14 days. So you could hire people to do it and then leave the stuff “quarantined” for those 2 weeks.
Its mainly the heavy items that I need assistance with. We have the truck until Monday, & won’t be moving into our new home until May 1, so I would expect IF anyone has the virus it wouldn’t survive that long.

Really just a PIA & bad timing. We will get through it and find a way. At least my golf cart arrives tomorrow! Yes! I’ll have to quarantine it or Clorox it down first.

The wife went to grocery store at7:00 as she thought they opened. I said you might as well stay there and wait in line. She said I’m going to drive by the new house to see if they’ve started the pool...

...well she just called me back and said the line was wrapped around the store with people waiting to get in.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
I have been wondering about the strain to the network with all of these kids working from home at the same time. It will have a huge impact On networks.
Week to week it’s the sharpest increase I’ve seen in my 20 years in telecom, at least at my market level. We obviously started before states did so there’s more data.

I have been very impressed with Miami-Dade in this regard. My kids had 4 days of school last week and were actually learning, with full on homework. I’m sure it’s not easy, but there was no obvious to me issue getting laptops to the kids that needed it at my kid’s school.

I wish I lived closer, because I would have helped you in a minute. You are in the northern part of the state, right?

We have 1:1 student to chrome books 1-12, but in the rural areas like we are I would guess 50% of our kids don’t have internet, and public locations who typically do are now closed.

It’s not about lawsuits here as much as it’s being exposed that distance learning still has some serious issues which need addressing before it can be truly vital for entire towns.

Its going to end up kids will be given their credits and moved on, and honestly for us we had 7 weeks left with the last 3 being testing, so my kids are fine.

I wish I lived closer, because I would have helped you in a minute. You are in the northern part of the state, right?
Appreciate it dude. Yep up in Ponte Vedra. My college roommate lives 5 mins away & was talking to him yesterday & he gave me the polite without saying it no, said you hiring guys to help you unload. 😀😂😂

Appreciate it dude. Yep up in Ponte Vedra. My college roommate lives 5 mins away & was talking to him yesterday & he gave me the polite without saying it no, said you hiring guys to help you unload. 😀😂😂
Shoot, that’s 5 hours north of me.

Week to week it’s the sharpest increase I’ve seen in my 20 years in telecom, at least at my market level. We obviously started before states did so there’s more data.

Have you seen infrastructure issues there yet?

Here we go

Ugg...NY starting their lockdown Sunday evening. I completely understand the need for it and I'm happy they are doing it.

Not sure how this will impact the agriculture business. Planting season will start for up next month around the 15th-20th range. Right now we are prepping seed pallets for customers so they can pick them up. We are still shipping grain out also.

Costco has toilet paper!!!
60a00a1288421cda98a9eb545758db4f.jpg

My sister messaged me this morning that my 1 year old nephew was up coughing all night and has a 100.3 fever. She called her pediatrician and was told to come in immediately. She is there now, I am waiting to hear what the doctor said.
Oh no. Here’s to hoping all is well.

Not sure how this will impact the agriculture business. Planting season will start for up next month around the 15th-20th range. Right now we are prepping seed pallets for customers so they can pick them up. We are still shipping grain out also.
Have to think agriculture is considered essential, and should be exempt from any shelter in place order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back