Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense taken. I’m not sure what you mean about my media, actually. It was an academic study linked within this thread. I opened and read it. It basically concluded if suppression / mitigation actions were taken US hospital capacity would be exceeded 8 times over and 1.1-1.2 million people would die and 2.2 million would die if we did nothing.

I was referring to how the media is using those statistics, not saying those numbers are right or wrong, ignoring them all together even. There are a lot of people like yourself who read through sources, but some media sources throw out numbers in a headline with no explanation and people don't take the time to look and read what they really mean. Therefore those people who actually read it can make their own conclusions about what the numbers mean, where as some let those reporting the media make up their minds for them, which can lead to certain perceptions.

This is why the virus will spread - idiots in claims lines not practicing social distancing. And we wonder ... Can we respect each other and our Country? The sooner we respect the virus, the sooner it will be over.

View attachment 8933817
It is interesting to me to see the regional differences. Here in Portland we really don’t see stuff like this (or at least I don’t). People who,are out stay 6’ away from each other. About the worst I’m seeing is workers handling take out at restaurants handling CC and food without gloves or without washing hands between customers.

This is tough to see. I am sure that many if not most of them would prefer to be 6 feet away from each other, but they have bills to pay and need work. If I was faced with the choice, I would do whatever I needed to provide for my family, including standing next to a bunch of people if that meant I had work for the day.
I get that. I hope once this picture went public that pressure went on the company (or local authorities) to help provide some distancing.

I get that. I hope once this picture went public that pressure went on the company (or local authorities) to help provide some distancing.

What do you they need to do? Hand out common sense?

Mail lady just rolled up and starting walking a package to the front door.

I met her half way and she apparently wanted to have a conversation. I was too busy holding my breath.

Not sure who was being more ridiculous hahaha

Wanna catch some reds or speckled trout? Find your nearest Louisiana charter captain, who probably has some openings now.
You are allowed to keep working because charter guides fit within the description of 'Maritime Transportation Workers,' according to the CISA Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers Guidelines.

Mail lady just rolled up and starting walking a package to the front door.

I met her half way and she apparently wanted to have a conversation. I was too busy holding my breath.

Not sure who was being more ridiculous hahaha

I would have yelled at her to stop, drop the package, turn around, and walk away!

My club is closed now until March 31 in accordance with the county shelter in place orders.

Shackleford also wants to roll the ball back. Geoff can shove it.

There’s news coming out about the group that predicted 500k deaths may have been incorrect, and maybe more like 20k, mostly people who were probably gonna die because of sickness and old age. I feel maybe if you’re gonna tout big numbers, maybe have your %#*& right.
Looks like the USA is going to hit 20k in 2 to 3 weeks.

Yup, but let’s hear the naysayers spew their BS head in the sand crap some more. :(
lets see if I do this right?

*sarcasm on* How dare you post facts, from people with frontline experience battling this virus? You must have an agenda here. :alien:
*sarcasm off*

Not many adhering to the 1 person to a cart as I look out my window this morning. If this keeps up our courses will close as well. How hard is it to obey the rules. :mad:
I think it's a moot point if they live in the same household. May or may not apply.

Maybe I'm in the opposite boat, but I'd rather someone overestimate, cause everyone to prepare for the worse. Than someone underestimate and no one take it seriously, causing a much larger problem.

Within reason. And there are so many unknowns in scenarios like this one that the range of "reasonable" assumptions can cause wide variations in outcomes, including unintended consequences which are mot realized in the initial studies. There are some factors that push analyses like these closer to worst case outcomes. First, there is the very defensible argument that it is better to have overpredicted bad news. Second, very few people get funding and/or publicity by announcing "nothing to see here." Now the SECOND analysis, after the scenario actually occurs, that's different. In that case, no one gets publicity and/or funding by announcing "yep, that first guy was right." It's not completely unethical - differences in completely reasonable assumptions can swing the outcomes dramatically. It is very difficult for policymakers to strike the balance between the immediacy and reality of increasing hospitalizations and deaths and the down-the-road certainties of ruined lives and economies, the magnitudes of which no one can predict with any confidence. Same issue, different problem: so many unknowns, predicted outcomes will vary widely.

lets see if I do this right?

*sarcasm on* How dare you post facts, from people with frontline experience battling this virus? You must have an agenda here. :alien:
*sarcasm off*

Let's take it down a notch ok? Everyone is having varying experiences with the virus. With 6 degrees of separation we all know someone in the medical field, or someone who has/had the virus. Everyone's experience and feelings are valid, that's all we have been trying to say. No need for your comment.

Looks like the USA is going to hit 20k in 2 to 3 weeks.

USA has 1070 from what I saw? That would be a hell of a jump, but I suppose it's not impossible.

USA has 1070 from what I saw? That would be a hell of a jump, but I suppose it's not impossible.
15% increase per day puts us at 18k in 21 days. That is optimistic and will probably be closer to 25% which puts us at 22k in 14 days. The 21 day number is scary at 25%

The Indianapolis 500 has been rescheduled for Aug 23rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back