Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are courses and clubs here in MA that are reopening after being closed for a week or so. The covid-19 guidelines are posted in print and on the sites and basically we all know the drill by now. There is very littIe customer to worker interaction, raised cups, no carta or single user cart, no tailgating....The MA golfing clubs are stressing the importance of following the guidelines exactly so they may stay open. I played yesterday at one of those courses and it was packed. For the most part the golfers I saw were adhering to the guidelines, with exception. There was a group of older guys that had to pull the flag and lift the raised cup out of the hole when they putted. There were also a few groups partying, music and all, in the parking lot. Ass monkeys that are going to get it all shut down again. And no, i did not confront any of them for a number of reasons at this time.

I'm just gonna say this to those who continue to balk and make comparisons to the common flu. If you wake up tomorrow morning with a sore throat, fever and shortness of breath, you're going to be defecating bricks in a way that you would not have back in November.

C
Ok bro...
Has the mortality rate seemed to settle nationwide between 0.7% and 1.4%? ✅

Did I not say that Lombardi area of Italy has demographic factors that caused it’s mortality rate to skyrocket. ✅

Like anything else there are a variety of factors that lead to hot spots, but is that enough for entire country to commit economic suicide?

You’re a big lock it down guy, what happens on the second wave when we have no herd immunity, because of the quarantines?
Comparisons to Italy don’t really tell us much since their testing rate is low and the way they count COVID deaths are grossly overestimated according to their own stated methodology. Far more accurate insight can be found looking at Germany where the mortality rate is 0.6%. Germany has done far more extensive testing and more accurately records cause of death, so while even that number will be high in relation to reality, it‘s likely the closest we have so far.

There are courses and clubs here in MA that are reopening after being closed for a week or so. The covid-19 guidelines are posted in print and on the sites and basically we all know the drill by now. There is very littIe customer to worker interaction, raised cups, no carta or single user cart, no tailgating....The MA golfing clubs are stressing the importance of following the guidelines exactly so they may stay open. I played yesterday at one of those courses and it was packed. For the most part the golfers I saw were adhering to the guidelines, with exception. There was a group of older guys that had to pull the flag and lift the raised cup out of the hole when they putted. There were also a few groups partying, music and all, in the parking lot. Ass monkeys that are going to get it all shut down again. And no, i did not confront any of them for a number of reasons at this time.

Interesting. Here in Western MA we just got our closed-until-April notification citing Baker required all courses in the State to close as of Tuesday.

Saw a report that in the UK younger males are having serious complications from the virus. Mostly cases where they were asthmatic when young. It isn’t just deadly for older people.

There is a petition now in MN to get our Governor Wingnut to keep courses open. Man who started petition warns some of our state courses will go under if they are not allowed to bring in income:

I signed it a few days ago and so have all my golf buddies. There is no logic in closing courses but allowing all the state parks to be open to walkers, runners, and joggers. Yesterday people were much closer together running around Lake Harriet than they would be on a golf course.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna say this to those who continue to balk and make comparisons to the common flu. If you wake up tomorrow morning with a sore throat, fever and shortness of breath, you're going to be defecating bricks in a way that you would not have back in November.
True, but that’s just because of how they’ve been conditioned. There was an article yesterday saying that according to a nationwide poll done by Reuters in the US, 8 million claim they’ve been diagnosed with COVID, which is pretty unlikely since we haven’t even tested a quarter million yet. You tell everyone that zombie plague is gonna get’em and soon that’s all they see.

True, but that’s just because of how they’ve been conditioned. There was an article yesterday saying that according to a nationwide poll done by Reuters in the US, 8 million claim they’ve been diagnosed with COVID, which is pretty unlikely since we haven’t even tested a quarter million yet. You tell everyone that zombie plague is gonna get’em and soon that’s all they see.

All that aside, are you telling me that you would be no more concerned about those symptoms?

I signed it a few days ago and so have all my golf buddies. There is no logic in closing courses but allowing all the state parks to be open to walkers, runners, and joggers. Yesterday people were much closer together running around Lake Harriet than they would be on a golf course.
I saw it and signed it when I was frantically looking for info on golf courses after they announced the shut down for the state. They started it right away after the announcement. It's just about to 19k signatures now.

How long is this thing going to last? One thing I do know now is if something that is bad ever gets loose we are screwed

How long is this thing going to last? One thing I do know now is if something that is bad ever gets loose we are screwed
If anything, maybe if something worse comes along, we'll be better prepared.

If anything, maybe if something worse comes along, we'll be better prepared.

Essentially this is why some of the countries in Asia have handled it well. They had experiences with SARS and put procedures into place after. I think I can see us learning from the "get back to normal" phase of this and putting things in place. This is wishful thinking, but I'd love to see people handle flu season differently in the future too.

C

Comparisons to Italy don’t really tell us much since their testing rate is low and the way they count COVID deaths are grossly overestimated according to their own stated methodology. Far more accurate insight can be found looking at Germany where the mortality rate is 0.6%. Germany has done far more extensive testing and more accurately records cause of death, so while even that number will be high in relation to reality, it‘s likely the closest we have so far.
Watch that German number, some think that they are under reporting deaths..

Essentially this is why some of the countries in Asia have handled it well. They had experiences with SARS and put procedures into place after. I think I can see us learning from the "get back to normal" phase of this and putting things in place. This is wishful thinking, but I'd love to see people handle flu season differently in the future too.
I think there will be a lot more focus on it. For one, any political hopeful will likely use this as a campaign tool. And two, I really do think that there are people in this country that are trying to do all they can for the betterment of the American people.

Weren’t the guides on how to deal with this readily available a while back? Did other nations not in Asia put in place some of the recommendations (maybe Canada? Germany?)

Perhaps. H1N1 should have been that wake up, but social media wasn’t the same then, so the panic didn’t set in like this has.

Accorsing to the news so no idea how accurate it is, most hospitals post that didn’t change much.And it’s not really arguable how that was handled (much later) than this, so you would think there would be. Yet NYC was telling people business as usual in March.

On the opposite side, a lot more people have or have recovered from Covid 19 than testing shows. My buddies son tested positive after returning from Spain 16 days ago and getting very sick. My buddy and his wife came down with the classic high fever and cough about 5 days later and their doctor refused them testing and told them to stay home and assume they had it. There 17 year old daughter had almost no symptoms but likely had it as well according to their doctors. They show up officially as 1 case of Covid 19 but were actually 4 and all have recovered. Another 50% or more never show symptoms so it’s likely that Covid exposure is five or ten times the official numbers, maybe more as we haven’t yet begun random testing in the U.S. and have only tested about 0.2% of the population. Iceland is they only country that has done any random testing are also the only country that has tested more than 3% of their population. They are seeing a 6.4% positive rate which would indicate the number infected and infected and recovered is way higher than the lack of testing in other countries is currently showing. 50% or more show zero symptoms and obviously have some ability to spread the virus so it is certainly possible that 5 or 10 million Americans have the virus or have recovered from it. We likely won’t know for another 6 months or more.

I’m sure next time a virus hits like this one(maybe again next flu season) we will be much better prepared for it.

Perhaps. H1N1 should have been that wake up, but social media wasn’t the same then, so the panic didn’t set in like this has.

Accorsing to the news so no idea how accurate it is, most hospitals post that didn’t change much.And it’s not really arguable how that was handled (much later) than this, so you would think there would be. Yet NYC was telling people business as usual in March.

The mayor was at the gym 10 days ago, while the Governor was telling cities and towns to shut down. It was insane.

Weren’t the guides on how to deal with this readily available a while back? Did other nations not in Asia put in place some of the recommendations (maybe Canada? Germany?)

Western countries don't have the same norms around wearing masks, staying home when sick, etc. We had people coming into work visibly sick, even after this stuff had started in late February, despite it being about as easy a place to work from home as possible.

But yeah, the US pretty much ignored all of the playbooks on how to prep for a pandemic.

I haven't seen the report, but Jen was telling me this morning that there have been a number of deaths here in the UK that have been confirmed as Covid-19 deaths following a post-mortem, who showed absolutely zero symptoms and signs of being infected

That is the biggest problem - people who are infected but showing no symptoms and then carrying it and infecting others without realising

If it was possible, and I know it isn't, more stringent rules need to be put in place regarding movements to prevent the further spread and confine the virus beyond its incubation period in a host to help reduce the strain on health services around the world

Western countries don't have the same norms around wearing masks, staying home when sick, etc. We had people coming into work visibly sick, even after this stuff had started in late February, despite it being about as easy a place to work from home as possible.

But yeah, the US pretty much ignored all of the playbooks on how to prep for a pandemic.
I know PR, whose #s are being included in the US #s, reacted the same. Back when this started, our Health Secretary said that we weren’t in danger because we had no direct flights from China. Italian and Spanish cases were rising at the time.

I haven't seen the report, but Jen was telling me this morning that there have been a number of deaths here in the UK that have been confirmed as Covid-19 deaths following a post-mortem, who showed absolutely zero symptoms and signs of being infected

That is the biggest problem - people who are infected but showing no symptoms and then carrying it and infecting others without realising

If it was possible, and I know it isn't, more stringent rules need to be put in place regarding movements to prevent the further spread and confine the virus beyond its incubation period in a host to help reduce the strain on health services around the world

It’s possible in a small country like Iceland with 364,000 people. They are the only country that has tested over 3% of their population(SK is around 1% tested) and has put in place aggressive tracking and strict isolation rules for those infected even if they show no symptoms. They have only 2 deaths so far out of 798 positives. Amazingly so far 6.4% of the Iceland tests are positive with many of those being random tests from people with zero symptoms. If we have an infection rate of even half of that 6.4% in here we would have about 10 million currently infected or infected and recovered.

Last edited:
All that aside, are you telling me that you would be no more concerned about those symptoms?
Ha! No doubt. I’m sure I would but only because I‘d worry about infecting my parents which are well into their 80s, or someone else for that matter. I wouldn’t be concerned about myself though. I live in a metroplex of 7 million where shootings are not uncommon, and I defy death daily by driving on the streets with these knuckleheads. Of all the ways the world might kill me, COVID is way, way down on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back