Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since all the city parks and golf courses are still closed locally, while walking the dog just a bit ago, I gave it considerable thought to jump the fence (with at couple clubs in hand) that separates a walking path and the city muni course.... but I couldn't figure out how to get the dog safely on the other side.... :cautious:
They just closed my course 3 minutes down the road, but they have a good putting green and short game area and I don't have to jump fences

They just closed my course 3 minutes down the road, but they have a good putting green and short game area and I don't have to jump fences
Same here, but honestly, I'm a bit nervous of going to the putting green unless early AM or later PM ( I can walk from the street 50 yards to the putting green) I'm sure if someone sees me out there.... the social distancing police will be notified! :sneaky:

Edit: The fence jumping part would put me on #10 away from the road leading to the course :sneaky:

I have come to realize the cluelessness that exists, is worse than I thought. Some examples of the last 48 hours.

“Why do I need to work, I am getting almost 2k a month from stimulus and unemployment.“ No you aren’t.
“I paid for this vacation, I already felt bad before and feel great now, so I’m good” WTF
“The flu didnt kill me, so who cares about this one” WTF
“This is going to last into October and November, my doctor told me”. Thats just as bad
#BanTheMedia

Better to practice at home until the courses open up. Hopefully it won't be long. But they should be maintaining them now.

#exceptthp :ROFLMAO:
it bothers me that the term 'media' is even slightly associated between what we do, and what BS they are pulling.

Fear mongering, slanderous, agenda pushing %^&*&^&*&^&&%%^*%*&^%*&^%*&^%& idiots that they are.

Just honestly makes me mad with the thought process of some folks. We went by the beach today & saw groups of 10 or more people all over the place. We set our towels down quite a distance from folks & sure enough they migrated pretty close. I mean if I don’t know you don’t put your towel next to mine like we are going to play footsie’s.
Lone behold St John’s County closed their beaches as of 6am tomorrow morning.

The stupidity isn’t limited to Florida. Police break up a 47 person “Corona party” in a 550sf NJ apartment
How does only the owner of the location get dinged for this?

Every single one of those 47 morons should be fined heavily (going directly to relief fund) and required to do 80 hours of community service aka making makeshift masks for hospital workers.

There are news reports that some companies are planning to reduce employeee’s pay by the amount they receive from the government stimulus program.

This strikes me as an extremely bold move because I expect most people are going to be PO’d about this. These companies could face a consumer backlash.

Also, not sure how it is legal for an employer to do this. I suppose employment at will means an emplayer can do whatever they want???
The day the stimulus package was passed, where I work:
1. Salary employees had their pay reduced 20% for at least Q2
2. Merit raises that were supposed take place 4/1, were cancelled.
3. 401k match was suspended
4. Hourly employees that have to work in the plant got a $2 Q2 raise.
Based on what the average employee family will get from stimulus and the salary reduction almost equals the same.
I then realized that that is what the government intended all along to help companies conserve cash and not lay people off.

Same here, but honestly, I'm a bit nervous of going to the putting green unless early AM or later PM ( I can walk from the street 50 yards to the putting green) I'm sure if someone sees me out there.... the social distancing police will be notified! :sneaky:

Edit: The fence jumping part would put me on #10 away from the road leading to the course :sneaky:
That's my MO, too. Go early or late but not inbetween. Of course, they close the course at Christmas but peeps still played

Well, luckily for us, even though they closed the OKC owned courses, there are some courses about 20 miles north of us that are open for business. Looks like my drive will be a little longer, but we'll still get some golf in.

Income, compensation, and all forms of payment that reward productivity should never be taxed. That goes for dividends, interest, and capital gains, too.
What's left?

Screenshot_20200328-220055_Facebook.jpg

This pretty much says it all about the impact in our home area of Nebraska. Kind of wish I was there right now.

We have a county about 40 minutes away that is allowing golfing, so I have been heading over there the last 2 weekends.

The day the stimulus package was passed, where I work:
1. Salary employees had their pay reduced 20% for at least Q2
2. Merit raises that were supposed take place 4/1, were cancelled.
3. 401k match was suspended
4. Hourly employees that have to work in the plant got a $2 Q2 raise.
Based on what the average employee family will get from stimulus and the salary reduction almost equals the same.
I then realized that that is what the government intended all along to help companies conserve cash and not lay people off.
shifting financial burden onto the government? convenient

How We Did Not Get Ventilators

"Government officials and executives at rival ventilator companies said they suspected that Covidien had acquired Newport to prevent it from building a cheaper product that would undermine Covidien’s profits from its existing ventilator business.

Some Newport executives who worked on the project were reassigned to other roles. Others decided to leave the company.

“Up until the time the company sold, I was really happy and excited about the project,” said Hong-Lin Du, Newport’s president at the time of its sale. “Then I was assigned to a different job.”

Michigan was up 1000 new cases since the day before and numbers continue to rise currently sitting at 4,658 with 111 deaths. Trump approves Michigan's Disaster Declaration. They canceled the Auto Show that was supposed to be in June for the first time ever and FEMA is turning it into a hospital. I fear that this shelter in place is going to be much longer than the original 3 weeks.

Sadly the most cases is in the tri county area where I live and work, that is worrisome

A company here in Columbus has developed a machine capable of sanitizing 160,000 masks a day. The FDA is allowing them to only do 10,000 per day and only in their headquarters Instead of creating and building multiple machines in different locations.

if this technology works it literally make no sense to do this.

Fauci throwing around some big numbers on the CNN this morning. 100-200k deaths in the US. With the trajectory many regions are on and the lack of precautions many state governments and individuals are taking, it doesn’t sound unreasonable.

Question for the group...how do you guys deal with friends that don’t comply with the local requests? I’ve got a friend who’s business was deemed essential because they are “maritime” and do repairs, but my buddy sells ski boats. He’s been out on the lake twice this past week doing demos ie. taking potential customers out on the lake. Not much chance to distance on a 20 ft boat. His response, “gotta make a living”. But then gets mad at his wife when she suggests ordering take out.

Fauci throwing around some big numbers on the CNN this morning. 100-200k deaths in the US. With the trajectory many regions are on and the lack of precautions many state governments and individuals are taking, it doesn’t sound unreasonable.

Question for the group...how do you guys deal with friends that don’t comply with the local requests? I’ve got a friend who’s business was deemed essential because they are “maritime” and do repairs, but my buddy sells ski boats. He’s been out on the lake twice this past week doing demos ie. taking potential customers out on the lake. Not much chance to distance on a 20 ft boat. His response, “gotta make a living”. But then gets mad at his wife when she suggests ordering take out.

I guess I’m similar to that guy in a way. We produce AG products primarily for feeding cattle or providing them clean water in an automatic waterer as well as other products that are somewhat essential. I’ve been waiting for the aid bill to pass, knowing at some point we were going to shut down. We have two orders to push out next week and then we’ll send everyone home while I try to get payroll aid so that I can continue to pay everyone when they go home. Outside of that we’ve been pretty careful to wipe down door handles and keep distance from everyone. We still have customers coming in for parts, and I’ll probably go in to ship some out but even our dealers and vendors are starting to shut down and run skeleton crews so it only makes sense to do the same thing. We did all discuss this in house and everyone knew that if they chose to go home last week when the state shut down they would face no penalty for it.

I think some of the guys I know who own or run businesses would rather stay open, but most are shutting down for at least two-three weeks, will depend on how all this shakes out.

Sadly the most cases is in the tri county area where I live and work, that is worrisome

I hope everyone in your circle of friends and family gets through this ok.

My wife and I keep looking at the numbers and it's scary as hell. We have a son who lives in Westland. He works for one of the automakers but is able to work from home.

Fortunately, he's taking this very seriously, going out only for necessities and sanitizing whatever is brought home. He's in the age group that has an excellent chance of being ok should he catch it.

But it's not just him. I can only imagine how this is affecting all the folks down there.

it bothers me that the term 'media' is even slightly associated between what we do, and what BS they are pulling.

Fear mongering, slanderous, agenda pushing %^&*&^&*&^&&%%^*%*&^%*&^%*&^%& idiots that they are.

I can't watch any of the national TV news shows other than Maria Bartiromo or a couple of other CNBC shows like Squawk Box but only in small doses as those live financial shows are a bit depressing right now, to say the least. We've been watching a lot of movies and I have a lot of things recorded like Jay Leno's Garage. We all need to be a bit more light-hearted and enjoy this time with our families.

Last night we watched two movies that none of our 3 children had ever scene, Risky Business and Top Gun. I discovered that there is a new Top Gun movie with Tom Cruise due out 6/26/20.

I feel bad for so many that live alone right now and especially the elderly that can't have family visit. My wife's mom was 0.5 miles from us last week and we couldn't see her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back