Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the flights and airports are so dead that it’s easy to maintain personal space. Subways and grocery stores put you likely at the same or higher risk and way more people are using those right now. Only a few flight attendants or pilots have come down with Covid 19 so far. My brother in law is still flying about 60% of his normal hours and he doesn’t know any flight attendants or pilots that have tested positive.

Im not sure where some news comes from but airlines are FREAKING OUT right now since a flight attendant just died from this.

Prop Joe Diffie up beside the jukebox. Dead due to complications of coronavirus.

It's not just the flying...it is either helping to spread the illness, or bringing it back home.

Yep, the world would be a much different place right now had China been more upfront and we could have shut down all flights from their country early in January when they knew it was a big problem.

I am really surprised people are traveling for vacations during this time. At the best of times airplanes are Petri dishes. It's this kind of irresponsible behavior that will simply prolong this pandemic.
It's not even the 'getting there' stage for me. I think it's pretty irresponsible right now to go from one location to another (State to State travel kind of thing). It's the very way to spread a virus.

Im not sure where some news comes from but airlines are FREAKING OUT right now since a flight attendant just died from this.

Many of us, me included, believe news is mostly about hyperbole and daily reporting on someone freaking out. Hype sells the news in today we here about every story nationwide where 20 years ago we didn’t to the same degree.

I read a couple of days ago that American had had a “handful” of positive Covid 19 tests out of 128,000 employees. The FAA, CDC and other government agencies must not see it as a high enough risk yet to shut things down. Personally if I were the CEO of an Airline I wouldn’t wait for the government and I’d at least do something such as sending everyone age 55 and older and those with underlying conditions home with paid leave until we are on the other side of the curve. I think the flight attendant that died was high risk as she was 65 or older.

Many of us, me included, believe news is mostly about hyperbole and daily reporting on someone freaking out. Hype sells the news.

I read a couple of days ago that American had had a “handful” of positive Covid 19 tests out of 128,000 employees. The FAA, CDC and other government agencies must not see it as a high enough risk yet to shut things down. Personally if I were the CEO of an Airline I wouldn’t wait for the government and I’d at least do something such as sending everyone age 55 and older and those with underlying conditions home with paid leave until we are on the other side of the curve. I think the flight attendant that died was high risk as she was 65 or older.

Holy cow I could not disagree more with this. A positive test of someone that flys in a tube with people, stays in hotels and walks airports could infect thousands. A flight attendant lost their life to the virus, and all 3 major airlines spoke out about the issues on CNBC this week.

I hate to see it downplayed and vacations jumping from state to state still taking place.

I will vote for a Presidential candidate who has the following in his platform:

15% flat tax with no deductions
put one regulation on the books, you have to take 15 off
Except for a declared war or national emergency, government expenditures cannot exceed 15% of GDP
Except for DoD employees, no goverrnment employee, elected or otherwise, can serve more than 15 years. Employees required to exit the public sector will be given career transition services
No bill and/or law can exceed 15 pages in length, single spaced, maximum 10 point font
I would settle for term limits for Congress, a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution, a line item veto for the President.

Holy cow I could not disagree more with this. A positive test of someone that flys in a tube with people, stays in hotels and walks airports could infect thousands. A flight attendant lost their life to the virus, and all 3 major airlines spoke out about the issues on CNBC this week.

I hate to see it downplayed and vacations jumping from state to state still taking place.

FWIW, I’d be fine if they shut down all domestic airline travel. The government must not see it as a big enough risk. We have to remember we will see positive tests from everywhere. Mass transit workers, grocery store workers, gas station workers, taxi drivers, etc. I just saw today that an Amazon worker at one of their large distribution centers in Florida was positive. I have no idea if the three people that delivered groceries and packages to house yesterday were positive or how many other workers at Target and Cub Foods who touched my groceries before delivering them were also positive.

It’s hard to decipher what actions should be taken. News is now starting to come out that we should all be wearing masks when out in public to protect others. The opposite of what the CDC has been recommending for the last month or more. I’ve been wearing an N95 Respirator the couple times I’ve been in a store the last 15 days.

I’ve read that there is evidence that temperature and humidity matter but I’m not sure it’s been proven to a scientific certainty.
World Health Organization says it can be transmitted in A hot and humid enviroment. As of today.... I encourage folks look diirectly at WHO, CDC or whatever the the authority is for their country for the latest info rather than relying on anecdotal or maybe past early info. This is a new one and the sand keeps shifting. https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

I’ve read that there is evidence that temperature and humidity matter but I’m not sure it’s been proven to a scientific certainty.
all viruses have a "happy zone" but that doesn't mean they can't be transmitted outside that zone

446D8C94-24E8-44AE-83E7-0059674C7D8F.jpeg

I’ve been wearing an N95 Respirator the couple times I’ve been in a store the last 15 days.
I hope that N95 was left over from a home project awhile back. Otherwise I'm sure all the HCWs and 1st Responders appreciate competing against you in the market for PPE.

PS: Did you perform a fit test on that N95 respirator? Otherwise you were not as protected as you think.

I hope that N95 was left over from a home project awhile back. Otherwise I'm sure all the HCWs and 1st Responders appreciate competing against you in the market for PPE.

PS: Did you perform a fit test on that N95 respirator? Otherwise you were not as protected as you think.

I sold N95 and other respirators and safety equipment for over 20 years working in the field for 3M and had some used ones in my old sample bags that I washed and am wearing as needed. The 140 new ones that I found 2 weeks ago when we went to our lake home I donated to the local hospital and they were very appreciative. I’ve performed many hundreds of fit tests for tens of thousands of auto refinish and paint technicians over my career and yes, I’ve been fit tested. I have the fit test kit still with 35 hoods and plenty of solution so all my family has been recently fit tested.

Last edited:
I read it but mostly with a grain of salt. Even if I am not reading the mainstream media sources, I know what their agenda is and it infuriates me regardless of whether I digest it all.

We’re in the midst of a pandemic and no matter where you go, the conversation is a “he said she said” partisan **** show that only works to divide our Nation. Not helping, not accomplishing much of anything really.
I have found the media divided and sometimes ridiculous on both sides. But I understand the frustration - I find it best to avoid all media except a few trusted sources.

I tend to stick with the #1 and #3 newspapers in the world, NYT and WAPOO. You probably think they have an agenda but they disclose scandals on both sides. They must check and have several sources, and when they make an error, it is disclosed. I also read the Economist.

I saw a Vice News broadcast - I call it news for those under 45 - and they disclosed how extreme right wingers/media just make things up - "we have a witness" who says Bob Mueller attacked her, and we will disclose the witness - so the mainstream media shows up and you see these guys saying, "Don't take questions from the NYT guy - he's an assh$le." Actually, he was asking good questions. Vice was following the extreme right wingers. Interesting to see men with no integrity making up a story.

To sum, witness is not disclosed, doesn't show up, has no statement. Sort of like PizzaGate ... where HRC was assisting in white slave trade. Totally false and dreamed up by right wingers.

So please, you can and it is your right to complain about mainstream media. But when the right wing media is pulling this stuff out of midair in a false way without any ethics or checked sources, I have issues with it. And Fox, until 2 weeks ago, was saying Corona was a hoax.

I don't like the divisions in this country either. But fingers can be pointed everywhere.

My problem wiith mainstream media - they have so much resentment and contempt for the occupant of the Executive Office, that while they report facts, they do it in a manner filled with sarcasm, disbelief and resentment, and do it too often. And that's why I keep it off during the day.

I also once listened to Limbaugh during the '90's - so I've been there, a believer, but I grew out of it - it was entertainment and $$ for him - a shock jock. That was disappointing.

I feel much better and more productive when not talking politics or news. But I pay attention to the news I've been reading and trusting since 1986 - they've got a great track record of reporting facts although I may disagree with their opinion pieces at times - But I had to read these sources to take the Foreign Service Exam.

Last edited:
CDC guidelines extended to April 30, peak in deaths expected to occur in the next 2 weeks per WH press conference.

I just saw this as well. Cant imagine, at least, another 30 days at home

Did you not expect this anyway?

It would take 4-6 weeks after distancing and shutting down, and then we'd have an upswing before a downswing

Did you not expect this anyway?

It would take 4-6 weeks after distancing and shutting down, and then we'd have an upswing before a downswing
I'm just assuming this is the new normal and finding how I can set up my home office to be as productive as possible. When is safe for everyone to return to work I'll be excited to be back in office but for now I'll make due

April 30th 😳 June 1st?

April 30th 😳 June 1st?

Here's a link predicting the peak at April 14th and relatively very few daily deaths by July 1st. Let's hope it's not longer than that.

I just saw this as well. Cant imagine, at least, another 30 days at home
Me either ... I can’t believe that they didn’t announce some Red, Yellow, Green type of guidance for different areas of the country... “Limit Down” party again this week.

Can someone explain the wide deviation in the opinion of Dr. Fauci?

Article by Dr. Fauci 3 days ago:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

“If one assumes that the number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.”

Also Dr. Fauci on CNN today, estimating 100,000 to 200,000 deaths then says, "but don't hold me to that?".

Dr. Fauci's 200,000 death estimate, using his own projected .1% CFR, means 200,000,000 Americans infected, or 63% of our entire population.

Right now, Italy is the hottest of hot zones and only .15% of their population has been infected.

Something doesn’t add up... Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back