Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the places that implemented distancing measures did it a couple weeks ago so we are at the point where we should start seeing effects based on the European and Chinese numbers. Like you said, numbers are still big, but the trend is promising.
Unfortunately, that isn't the case in PR. We are 3 weeks into enforced social distancing/curfew/shutdown, but since testing has been lagging so far every day we're seeing an increase in cases. Experts have it at a couple more weeks for case #s to flatten here.

We are a week into our lockdown over here in the UK, but the last news I watched said that they still expect the numbers to spike sometime in the next 2-3 weeks

And the other thing they said was that measures could be in place for anything up to 6 months to try and ensure that it can be dealt with - that won't necesarily mean lockdown for 6 months, but there could be restrictions in place on a number of things for a while before they are gradually relaxed depending on what happens

This could be a very short golf year for a lot of people depending on how long it takes to get on top of this virus - the one thing I am pleased about is that greenkeeping staff are still allowed to work on the courses to keep them in shape, and our course posted a couple of pictures yesterday of some of the maintenance work they have completed with new bunkers around one of the greens
I dread to think what courses would look like if no work could be done on them for a month or so, let alone 3-6 months - some wouldn't survive it, or it would take another couple months to get them back in to a barely playable condition

It's funny how 'the epoch times' is the only place reporting this and their source is "Beijing authorities". But I'm sure they have access to news sources and high level Chinese officials that other small time outfits like the AP and the BBC do not.

Same story is running on Bloomberg and many others.

Thanks for the link! Bloomberg's version is pretty boring though. They come at it from some generic 'business has slowed down' angle and it doesn't have nearly the zombie/conspiracy quotient the other one does. How do they expect to generate any clicks with an article like that? Amateurs...

Thanks for the link! Bloomberg's version is pretty boring though. They come at it from some generic 'business has slowed down' angle and it doesn't have nearly the zombie/conspiracy quotient the other one does. How do they expect to generate any clicks with an article like that? Amateurs...

Some stats for ages and pre-existing conditions from WorldoMeter.

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 8.29.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-03-30 at 8.30.11 AM.png

Accepting one more month, at a minimum, of "lockdown" is an uncomfortable reality to process. My tension is building. It is not the certainty I want in a time of great uncertainty. My biggest fear is that these current extreme efforts are only one of multiple during a roller coaster of spread, containment, spread, ...

Trying to stay optimistic, if we can implement widespread testing with quick results, our response can change to more selective isolation for control of spread. This is what we need. Producing, distributing, administering, and tracking tests at the scale needed will be a huge logistical challenge.

Merely pointing out that they are not the only ones reporting this.
In fact it is pretty much everywhere on the web, outside of a few media outlets that some would say are a bit more choosy as it comes to reporting on anything coronavirus in China.

21 million users is a lot of "business has just slowed down"....

Accepting one more month, at a minimum, of "lockdown" is an uncomfortable reality to process. My tension is building. It is not the certainty I want in a time of great uncertainty. My biggest fear is that these current extreme efforts are only one of multiple during a roller coaster of spread, containment, spread, ...

Trying to stay optimistic, if we can implement widespread testing with quick results, our response can change to more selective isolation for control of spread. This is what we need. Producing, distributing, administering, and tracking tests at the scale needed will be a huge logistical challenge.

Hopefully, Abbott can deliver on providing 50,000 tests per day starting tomorrow.

Last edited:

I think this is not due to deaths, but due to not sharing info that might contradict the government's message. I don't think their problem is 21 million dead bad, but it certainly isn't gone as they are broadcasting to the world.

Was the NY doctor Dr. Vladimir Zelenko, who claims to have treated over 700 patients w/ hydroxychloroquine, in combination with azithromycin (Z-Pak), an antibiotic to treat secondary infections, and zinc sulfate, without any deaths legit? Said anyone that suffered from shortness of breath were resolved in 4-6 hours.

Was the NY doctor Dr. Vladimir Zelenko, who claims to have treated over 700 patients w/ hydroxychloroquine, in combination with azithromycin (Z-Pak), an antibiotic to treat secondary infections, and zinc sulfate, without any deaths legit? Said anyone that suffered from shortness of breath were resolved in 4-6 hours.

There is also the large increase in sulfur dioxide emissions (detected by satellite) in Hubei province during the peak of the outbreak, during which many businesses were shut down. The SO2 has been explained as coming from burning bodies - human and/or animal. I agree that 21 million is a very big number for any change, even in China.

I wonder if that 100-200k number of US deaths predicted yesterday is related to the lack of ventilators. I read a new story in the NYT showing the past problems with getting ventilators still exist - who is paying, where are they going, how to get more parts, how many do they need... Still not resolved. I wish they would resolve it.

I hope more States order more social distancing measures, i.e. Florida beaches in some Counties, Mississippi, etc. Get it done so we can free ourselves up sooner.

Predicting 100-200k US deaths means this is not hype. US deaths are now 2500 or so. The prediction shows you the exponential threat of this virus.

Last edited:
We did a whole lot of testing and configuring over the weekend to help make our state senate function during this time. With the budget due April 1st, everyone is scrambling to figure out how on earth to get that done responsibly. Last night there were conferences for both majority and minority, and a very brief session to allow voting and debate on bills via video conference calls. I spent a good chunk of Saturday night Zooming with senators down in and around NYC, and the stories I was hearing from them are no good.

I finished watching my 30 minutes morning batch of news after eating breakfast.

Think I'm sick now.

Must focus on work.

Saw this on the news last night and it just pissed me off. They were trying to run a “feel good” piece about a neighbor putting on block concert to try and lift the spirits of everyone locked down. I’m all for positivity but look at the lack of social distancing in the neighborhood

34972E9B-C8AD-4B38-B8A8-4BBC3CEBDB90.jpeg

Saw this on the news last night and it just pissed me off. They were trying to run a “feel good” piece about a neighbor putting on block concert to try and lift the spirits of everyone locked down. I’m all for positivity but look at the lack of social distancing in the neighborhood

View attachment 8934388

Honestly, if each "block" of people (like the four people in the back right) there are all living in the same household, this is fine.

I wonder if that 100-200k number of US deaths predicted yesterday is related to the lack of ventilators. I read a new story in the NYT showing the past problems with getting ventilators still exist - who is paying, where are they going, how to get more parts, how many do they need... Still not resolved. I wish they would resolve it.

I hope more States order more social distancing measures, i.e. Florida beaches in some Counties, Mississippi, etc. Get it done so we can free ourselves up sooner.

Predicting 100-200k US deaths means this is not hype. US deaths are now 4500 or so. The prediction shows you the exponential threat of this virus.

Not sure if that 100k+ death toll estimate is due to lack of ventilators because so far I don't think we are short of ventilators. I did read yesterday that a UK doctor who specialized in that area of treatment said that only 10% of Covid 19 patients that go on a ventilator survive. The vast majority of those on ventilators are over age 65 and have one or more pre-existing conditions so their overall health already makes them high risk. Sadly by the time they get on a ventilator, their chances are already slim.

There are still dozens of flights leaving NY for Florida and many more to cities all over the country. I think domestic flights from highly infected Covid 19 areas could be the next domino to fall.

Last edited:
the lack of social distancing in the neighborhood
Small groups, presumably from the same household, appear to be more than 6 feet apart. What is wrong here?

42DA1FA9-692C-419D-8DC1-28AA8193E4A4.png
This is at least promising...

Virginia Governor has said that he is making a "major announcement" about Virginia's COVID19 response.

Our local newspaper send out an email saying they are going to Wednesday and Sunday papers only for delivery, but keeping the regular daily paper online. They said they have lost over $1 million so far in advertising and have started to furlough some employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back