Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to move to Wyoming.
I love the country and the wide open spaces, but no way could I ever deal with that climate. I'm a warm-blooded boy, I start complaining when it drops below 65 degrees! I'll gladly take our 100+ degree summers, drowning in sweat and getting second-degree burns from any piece of metal that comes in contact with your body, but I can't handle snow and ice and freezing temps for months at a time.

I knew a guy from North Dakota and he used to say "40 below zero keeps out the riff-raff". I guess he was onto something there. :LOL:

I love the country and the wide open spaces, but no way could I ever deal with that climate. I'm a warm-blooded boy, I start complaining when it drops below 65 degrees!
I talk a big game when I make claims like that, but I am screwed. Wife's great teaching job in Ohio means I get to go NOWHERE.

I don't think that's political (or at least doesn't have to be), and is a very valid point. Being dependent upon another country for vital needs - especially one who is, or could potentially be, hostile to your interests in the future, is not a sound strategic decision.
I guess anything can be political haha. I just meant it because some administrations have been more in favor of outsourcing than others, and it’s been a hot topic under this particular President as well. But I was trying to go with the sentiment you expressed better than I did

Difficult to look at silver linings (and apologies if this gets political), but the realization that some drugs/products need to be made domestically is a positive. A potentially huge one for PR where back when the economy was solid, manufacture and pharma led the way. Seems like something that could be priority going forward, whether here or on the mainland.

I don't think it's political. I hope think know an outcome of this needs to be a national manufacturing strategy. Certain things must either be made or stored at home (see: Strategic Petroleum Reserve) because they are in the vital national interests of the United States, and that still should transcend politics.

In all seriousness, the Homeless population and crisis in California is going to become a National Problem and concern.

How will they practice Social Distancing or Isolation once infected?

How does only wash their hands after using the sidewalk as a Restroom?

Very Troubling Time for all.

God bless America and protect each and everyone of US. Rich, Poor, Homeless and Especially The Senior.

:drinks:

Our county has set up essentially an RV recovery ward at one of the local county parks, just outside the city. Granted we are a small county compared to the large urban centers, but it seems to be a forward looking option to isolate and care for those without a home to recover in.

Anyone looked at the projections? Scary to see some of the deficiencies that are looming. Stay inside folks!

One hospital in my system has 235 confirmed cases with another 50 waiting results.. next one has 100 confirmed with 135 awaiting results

Another 509 from primary cares and 1500 from urgent cares awaiting

April is going to be tough

Not including the state/county testing sites

Next time I'm buying an ugly dog...people still have a need to come up and see him or want to talk about him on our walks.
7e49a9589fe6bc949f1db7805fbd9b16.jpg

We have local organizations putting them up in hotel rooms for the duration of the shelter in place orders.

My county and surrounding counties have struck deals with hotels to house the homeless during this time. Other hotels have agreed to become medical facilities if necessary, but fortunately that has not been necessary here yet.

My first month at MCRD San Diego we lived in Quonset huts. :) At Camp Pendleton I was at San Mateo. I "fondly" remember humping Mt MotherF*****, lol Dang...40+ years ago.
After MCRD I was at San Onafre waiting for SOI. I showed up early because I had a bit of an incident while on leave....I was introduced to two weeks of mess duty before SOI. Mess duty was the most miserable experience I had in the Marines, and that is saying a lot. Of course it didn’t help that we all went out and got blitzed and staggered in at 2 and then had to get up at 430 for duty. Mt. MFer & Old Smoky were the ones I do remember not so fondly.

Lauderdale County (includes the city of Meridian) is the first in Mississippi to get shelter-in-place orders, beginning tonight at 10 pm CT through April 14th, due to a big jump in confirmed cases in the last 48-72 hrs. They're up to 35 total right now, with a nursing home involved.

Gulfport and Biloxi have instated curfews from 11 pm - 5 am, and ordered "non-essential" businesses to close. Businesses that are allowed to stay open can only allow in 5% of permitted occupancy at a time.

Last edited:
Our county has set up essentially an RV recovery ward at one of the local county parks, just outside the city. Granted we are a small county compared to the large urban centers, but it seems to be a forward looking option to isolate and care for those without a home to recover in.

Anyone looked at the projections? Scary to see some of the deficiencies that are looming. Stay inside folks!

I will inject some optimism here - a good bit of the confidence interval for some states are now below that line. New York... not so much.

mpetersen's graphs are prettier and encouraging.

My graph updated with today's national numbers from https://covidtracking.com/us-daily/ is starting to tell a similar story. We are gaining a little gorund.

Remember, the dashed lines are where we would be based on the data from Mar 21-27. A simplistic way of looking at the actuals vs models says we have slowed hospitalizations by 1.5-2 days vs last week's trajectory, and deaths by about one day vs the model. I haven't looked at NY data separately because I might be frightened by what I learn, but I probably will later this evening.

COVID Mar 31.png

mpetersen's graphs are prettier and encouraging.

My graph updated with today's national numbers from https://covidtracking.com/us-daily/ is starting to tell a similar story. We are gaining a little gorund.

Remember, the dashed lines are where we would be based on the data from Mar 21-27. A simplistic way of looking at the actuals vs models says we have slowed hospitalizations by 1.5-2 days vs last week's trajectory, and deaths by about one day vs the model. I haven't looked at NY data separately because I might be frightened by what I learn, but I probably will later this evening.

View attachment 8934651

NY data is going to be scary.

NY data is going to be scary.

The Florida data isn’t going to look good either at the current rate. Florida passed Louisiana today in terms of rate of rise in new infections.

After MCRD I was at San Onafre waiting for SOI. I showed up early because I had a bit of an incident while on leave....I was introduced to two weeks of mess duty before SOI. Mess duty was the most miserable experience I had in the Marines, and that is saying a lot. Of course it didn’t help that we all went out and got blitzed and staggered in at 2 and then had to get up at 430 for duty. Mt. MFer & Old Smoky were the ones I do remember not so fondly.

I was from Chicago and we could pick up WGN on top of Mt MFer, lol. I know it sounds cliche, but I peeled potatoes on mess duty...I'd rather have done a forced march. :)

I did see a guy at the grocery store wearing two golf gloves. Tommy Two Gloves was ahead of his time.

Considering the limitations we have here in the UK, I can't believe some of the talk in this thread at times

Going to play golf.....driving here there and everywhere.....

You try and do that here in the UK and you can expect a fine, and it doubles each time you are deemed to be breaking the rules
This was specifically in the Arizona Governor's executive order from yesterday:
1585695852479.png

B5B5A3B9-5475-415A-876D-183569EDD6B1.jpeg
Washington State rallied... Hats off.

Coronavirus cases in cities with high population densities are being extrapolated across all cities and countries, regardless of population density, in the model that they are using to drive policy decisions.

It is that model that gives the 100-200K death number.

View attachment 8934669
Washington State rallied... Hats off.

Coronavirus cases in cities with high population densities are being extrapolated across all cities and countries, regardless of population density, in the model that they are using to drive policy decisions.

It is that model that gives the 100-200K death number.

Someone give that person a lesson in graph scaling. I get what it's trying to do, but that's a horrendous projection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back