Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the course for my regular weekday tee time with the same two other guys I've played with for years. A single shows up and the course wanted to pair him up with us. I declined and when they pushed I said then I could not play. I am in a high risk group other than just because of my age. With my two regulars I know, if, when and where they have traveled, how they are about social distancing, the precautions they take and I know and trust them enough to know if they had the slightest symptoms they would not be there. I know zilch about a stranger. Am I wrong to push back on having a stranger play along with us?
Getting caught up here. No, you weren't wrong at all to push back on having a stranger forced upon you. It was prudent and I hope they honored your wishes so you could still play. Hard to believe they would even do that in these times.

We're still playing here, but sticking strictly to our own small group who we know aren't traveling, are isolating from others, taking precautions and practicing social distancing. Any/all of us would immediately stop playing and isolate if we had even the slightest symptoms of illness.

We've completely excluded one friend from our small circle for now. He's 65 years old, but is a social butterfly and our general consensus is that he's being reckless about it and not taking adequate precautions, so he presents too high of a risk to be around. He's also one of those people who is constantly on the go, can't sit still for more than a minute and is always run down, so he gets sick more often even in normal times. So he doesn't get invited to golf, we don't even tell him when we're playing. Of everybody I know, he's the one I would be least surprised to hear got infected.

I was watching the evening news and a story came on about the Beer Stores in Ontario removing the restriction on returning empties (in Canada we pay a deposit on all cans and bottles which is refunded when the empties are returned) They had stopped accepting empties two and a half weeks ago when the pandemic started but had to lift the ban because breweries and wineries were running out of bottles to fill with new product.

Beer and liquor stores were deemed essential in order to reduce the impact on the already stressed medical community; local government feared that if they removed the supply to those dependant on alcohol it would be worse overall than letting them have it.

My only hope is that every penny collected due to taxes on alcohol goes to the front lines for supplies, staff, support, etc.

Grocery store chain finally out a max number of people in the store ... Not sure if others will follow suit but wow... This is serious...

Ohio is expected to have it's peak this week. Hope everyone is staying safe. Not sure how the peak is analyzed but interesting take.

Talked with my sister in Western PA yesterday and she said supermarkets have gone to one-way aisles to reduce close contact.

Talked with my sister in Western PA yesterday and she said supermarkets have gone to one-way aisles to reduce close contact.
I hear more and more about this...

Sounds like Kroger here locally is about to implement it.

Interesting trend when looking at testing:

Mandatory work from home for my employer was extended through end of May.

I hear more and more about this...

Sounds like Kroger here locally is about to implement it.
Seems smart regardless from a general traffic flow perspective.

Seems smart regardless from a general traffic flow perspective.
It definitely does, but I have zero faith that people would pay attention to it or abide by it, especially under more normal circumstances.

Had to leave the house twice today for necessary errands. Mini plumbing crisis that I needed to fix. So many frustrated and angry people right now. Very difficult times.
At least these times will weed out the "gems" from the disrespectful haters and knuckleheads that show their true colors.

A possible treatment for Covid that includes Zinc plus Hydroxycloroquine.

People may know atkjoh from here on the forum. He's a pulmonologist and he's testing for Zn deficiency in all febrile patients that present with shortness of breath, and treating when identified. He thinks Zn deficiency is an underying cause for some of the more severe infections.

Being that our office is so big, I'm guessing this will be us as well. Even if the stay at home is lifted, we have too many people to just immediately resume everything. especially when we can all or mostly all can work from home.

a local retirement home has identified 44 cases...over half the city's total.

First death in the province.

People may know atkjoh from here on the forum. He's a pulmonologist and he's testing for Zn deficiency in all febrile patients that present with shortness of breath, and treating when identified. He thinks Zn deficiency is an underying cause for some of the more severe infections.

Hold up, a THP’er is possibly working on a solution? That’s unreal.

Just when you hope that live would turn to some type of normal, the rug gets pulled out from under you. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if I got extended to 6/1. It's working, so why push it?

We're having a pretty difficult time dealing with the distance learning program still after starting week two yesterday. Week one was hard enough. Week two, they stepped up the workload in each class. And, on top of that, it is technically a short week with no school on Thursday and Friday. So, 5 days worth of assignments are somehow crammed into 3 days. My 12 year old is expected to manage 7 different classes who all organize differently. Some teachers email the assignments. Some teachers post them in Power School. And, for some reason, she has gym and choir homework. I have a sneaky feeling that this will be the new normal for the rest of the year. Tough to work all day and come home to spend the entire evening going through all of this homework.

John and his wife are on the front lines here in SC. I already told him that if I came down with COVID-19, he had to be my doctor.

Man.. If he winds up being part of the cure, pretty sure that needs to be his Grandaddy entry. Yeah, what'd you do this year? ..... Saved everyone's life. Yeah right on, here's your ticket sir.

A possible treatment for Covid that includes Zinc plus Hydroxycloroquine.

Quote from the article is really exciting:

The drug has long been used for treatment of malaria and conditions such as lupus and arthritis but is not technically approved by the FDA for COVID-19. The agency, however, is encouraging trials and has provided limited emergency authorization for its use to treat COVID-19 patients.

Dr. Anthony Cardillo said he has seen very promising results when prescribing hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc for the most severely-ill COVID-19 patients.

"Every patient I've prescribed it to has been very, very ill and within 8 to 12 hours, they were basically symptom-free," Cardillo told Eyewitness News. "So clinically I am seeing a resolution."

Cardillo is the CEO of Mend Urgent Care, which has locations in Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys and Burbank.

He said he has found it only works if combined with zinc. The drug, he said, opens a channel for the zinc to enter the cell and block virus replication.

Way more. He's probably too busy at the moment to remember to sign up.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're having a pretty difficult time dealing with the distance learning program still after starting week two yesterday. Week one was hard enough. Week two, they stepped up the workload in each class. And, on top of that, it is technically a short week with no school on Thursday and Friday. So, 5 days worth of assignments are somehow crammed into 3 days. My 12 year old is expected to manage 7 different classes who all organize differently. Some teachers email the assignments. Some teachers post them in Power School. And, for some reason, she has gym and choir homework. I have a sneaky feeling that this will be the new normal for the rest of the year. Tough to work all day and come home to spend the entire evening going through all of this homework.
My wife is a teacher and was pretty much told she wouldn't be back in the classroom this school year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back