Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the scariest part about all of this, is that there is no real source of truth.
BS coming out of everywhere.

I'm starting to think in five years, the news is going to be about as viable as MTV tv
We're already there - at least as far as mainstream media goes.

We're already there - at least as far as mainstream media goes.
I think there is a lot of truth to that, but more collectively agreed upon.

Right now it's just me in a debate with old guys at the club about how pointless it is to watch/read/follow news.

I think there is a lot of truth to that, but more collectively agreed upon.

Right now it's just me in a debate with old guys at the club about how pointless it is to watch/read/follow news.
Editorialized news is fine, when treated as such. Anchors giving little eye rolls and shaking their heads at stuff they disagree with has no place in News Programming

Went to a couple stores tonight. Masks were mixed between wearing and not wearing.
Saw a Mom and her daughter (aged around 10 or less I would assume) with only the daughter wearing the mask lol - okay.

Crazy to be in the bigger stores without much activity going on around me. reminds me how long this has been already.

I see people driving alone in their cars wearing masks. :)

Colleges and universities derive a lot of income from college football. Hard to imagine them sitting still for a lockdown on football. Or, just play all the games in Wyoming, which as of yesterday has had 7 deaths from Covid-19.

Here lately I cannot help but thinking, since they have no cure for this yet, how is going back to work going to affect this stuff? Don't get me wrong, we have to do something are cosequences may be worse, yet something just doesn't seem right about all of it, but maybe it never will.

We have dealt with the flue risk for years and I guess covid will just be another thing for us to have to deal with, yet covid rips lives away is some of the most dire and sad ways. I have seen someone basically choke to death (not from covid) because they struggled breathing while dying and not something I want to see happen to anyone.

Hey CA folks....Mike Garcia is winning in CA-25. This was the seat vacated by Katie Hill. However, I'm sure the U-Haul vote will come in next week and he'll lose.

I understand you continue to use this and view this thread as a catch all chat room for political commentary, but we have asked time and time again to stop it.

This has absolutely no place here and this will be the last time we ask you to please stop this.

I see people driving alone in their cars wearing masks. :)

This one really confuses me and scares me when I see it.

Good article here.

318F3E71-0036-44A9-A9C1-B76FFF168D08.jpeg
Makes no sense to be making the call to close College Campus’ in the Fall...

I think the scariest part about all of this, is that there is no real source of truth.
BS coming out of everywhere.

I'm starting to think in five years, the news is going to be about as viable as MTV tv

News reporting in the current day and age is about as honest as the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue - there's hardly a story that hasn't been "touched up" in some way or another before being presented.

When I was younger, news used to be "here's what happened last night/earlier today etc". Modern news has become "here's what I think about what happened last night/earlier today etc."

A bit of a scam from the sports world. MLB, NFL, etc.. will claim the loss of revenue because there’s no fans in the seats. That is a joke IMO. The teams make diddly from “the fans”. It’s almost all from Cable and TV rights. They would LOVE it if they didn’t have to build 50,000 seat stadiums and save on the payroll they would need to pay. But yes, the concessionaire’s would lose out, but the teams get only a smallish percentage of that. Unless the team (Yankees, Cowboys, et al) own the concessions, they might lose a bit more. But it’s nothing compared to the TV and Licensing fees they’re taking in. And that is usually guaranteed over the contract. I’m surprised the MLBPA is even discussing agreeing to a cut in pay due to this issue. Until the networks sue to get a discount (and they will, but will lose) cutting pay should be off the table. Now, it won’t make the players look good either, so they need a PR plan to justify not getting a cut in pay.

A bit of a scam from the sports world. MLB, NFL, etc.. will claim the loss of revenue because there’s no fans in the seats. That is a joke IMO. The teams make diddly from “the fans”. It’s almost all from Cable and TV rights. They would LOVE it if they didn’t have to build 50,000 seat stadiums and save on the payroll they would need to pay. But yes, the concessionaire’s would lose out, but the teams get only a smallish percentage of that. Unless the team (Yankees, Cowboys, et al) own the concessions, they might lose a bit more. But it’s nothing compared to the TV and Licensing fees they’re taking in. And that is usually guaranteed over the contract. I’m surprised the MLBPA is even discussing agreeing to a cut in pay due to this issue. Until the networks sue to get a discount (and they will, but will lose) cutting pay should be off the table. Now, it won’t make the players look good either, so they need a PR plan to justify not getting a cut in pay.
I think there will be a significant revenue loss experienced by MLB teams (insert Marlins joke) for this season. This article published yesterday by Jeff Passan does a great job explaining it.

News reporting in the current day and age is about as honest as the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue - there's hardly a story that hasn't been "touched up" in some way or another before being presented.

When I was younger, news used to be "here's what happened last night/earlier today etc". Modern news has become "here's what I think about what happened last night/earlier today etc."
Haha I agree. Or “here’s what I am paid to think”

It’s all but pointless to turn on the tv.

Here locally at work (WIll County in Illinois) the cases continue to climb and being that I am an essential worker as we supply bottles and pumps to medical facilities and big pharma, its seen my daily shift increase weekly. We are currently working 12 hour days just to keep up with demand.

Where i live....we just now hit 12 cases and folks have been good about wearing masks and what not. I am concerned as Illinois opens up a litlte and folks go back to work and commute.....we will see it hit harder locally than it is now.

Here locally at work (WIll County in Illinois) the cases continue to climb and being that I am an essential worker as we supply bottles and pumps to medical facilities and big pharma, its seen my daily shift increase weekly. We are currently working 12 hour days just to keep up with demand.

Where i live....we just now hit 12 cases and folks have been good about wearing masks and what not. I am concerned as Illinois opens up a litlte and folks go back to work and commute.....we will see it hit harder locally than it is now.
Cases will climb. The number you need to look at are the amount of deaths. Its not a death sentence like certain people would like you to believe.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Cases will climb. The number you need to look at are the amount of deaths. Its not a death sentence like certain people would like you to believe.

For most healthy people. Individual impact can be different from the statistical norm.

Agreed. With an at risk daughter Im more worried about bringing it home than anything. Why i get pissed when folks are not taking it seriously.

View attachment 8942881
Makes no sense to be making the call to close College Campus’ in the Fall...
Yeah, I don't get that. Here is the latest info by state on the number of deaths caused by the virus. You can see NY comprises the vast majority.

As for the college deaths? And just with any the deaths to anyone and anywhere..........none of the small numbers mean much to us but thats only of course right up until one of those numbers are our own son or daughter (or whomever in our circle) who is in the hospital fighting for their life or even if just simply being very sick for a month. Everyone is worth the minimal risk but only right up until its our own self that suffers it.

Its no coincidence the states with highest numbers of cases and deaths are also the ones with the higher densities or at least include some the densest cities. Its stands to reason that this does more or less proportionally follow along with deaths and also fwiw cases (even if not deaths). But what some are not imo realizing is that just because other areas dont see as many does not mean its not an issue. It just means it is slower to spread throughout less dense areas.
And while that is a built in saving grace for the healthcare systems in those areas, its still does not mean that the virus is not going to take its toll on human lives. At some point this became about not just the healthcare systems but also about how to wait out (or last long enough) till we can hope to get some medication or vaccine. Many folks are going to insist that its all and only suppose to been about the healthcare systems but unfortunately (right or wrong I dont really know) its become more than that and maybe has always been more than that.

Im not totally against places opening and heck i even want my place to open up again too. But I also do not want anymore deaths that are close to me and my circle and certainly not in my family (my son works at a hospital every day) . See now thats the thing.......im ok with sacrifices in opening but as long as they are not mine. Isnt that what most of us (although not willing to ever admit it) are saying when we demand that we open? Like it or not we are saying its ok to let people die and or bring it home to their families and let them die. Just because its a small amount of deaths doesn't imo diminish them. Each and every one is significant to somebody somewhere.

I dont know what businesses like restaurants are going to do. Many cant afford to open at limited capacity. It can cost them much more to open with limited capacity that it would to just stay closed. They would actually lose money opening that way. Restaurants need table turnover, They depend in filling tables two to three times turnover especially on weekends. But on the other hand the owner is currently alive and should be collecting money to feed his/her family right now and the layoff workers should be collecting to put food in their tables. So whats the more imminent and dangerous threat right now? hate to say it but imo is still the virus that can randomly pick anyone of these people and kill them. That is the ugly reality of it. And in turn that person has to now place the hospital workers taking care of them at risk.

I just really dont know. At some point we have to all open somehow. I get that and I want that. We will have to d it. But no matter how we slice it or try to justify it, the ugly truth is that we are going to kill some people as we do it. That part is a reality. It cant be sugar coated and cant be dismissed or justified as a small number. We cant ignore it because its not our intent. We cant play that off as though some indirect casualty of war. There are consequences to opening and one of them is death to some people. We just hope it isnt us or someone close to us.

concensus on here it’s no big deal, everybody’s over reacting, masks don’t work, experts are wrong, YouTube doctors are right, so I don’t see the big deal.
Less than 1% mortality, most over 80. Not worried. Stay in your home for 2 years.

But no matter how we slice it or try to justify it, the ugly truth is that we are going to kill some people as we do it. That part is a reality. It cant be sugar coated and cant be dismissed or justified as a small number. We cant ignore it because its not our intent. We cant play that off as though some indirect casualty of war.

This is insanity. Nobody ever wants loss of life, but to pretend this is the largest killer and therefore lockdown is the solution is lunacy. We fight viruses every year. We have cancer deaths, heart disease, auto fatalities and all of these bring massive levels of illness and death. Most impact others. where have you been during these times saying these same things? We lose tens of thousands a year to the flu? There were 6 million auto accidents last year. There were over 40,000 deaths from those accidents, by the logic above, we should ban driving.

It seems like a pretty easy solution. Those with high risk should stay in. Those with fear, should stay in. The tens of millions that need work and need to support a family, can get back to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back