Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey admin folks....is it time for a blades vs CB discussion? Just kidding! LOL! I've been involved in those and I think those discussions are constantly shut-down.

Hey admin folks....is it time for a blades vs CB discussion? Just kidding! LOL! I've been involved in those and I think those discussions are constantly shut-down.

We have many of those with little issues. You have to venture out of this thread to see the awesome that exists on THP.

We have many of those with little issues. You have to venture out of this thread to see the awesome that exists on THP.
My new G410's are far better than my Hogan Redlines, and moderately better than my MP69's. But I have to say my Redline Equalizer is somehow mysteriously better for touch shots from 80 to 20 yards in.

Let’s keep this thread to the topic at hand please. We have thousands and thousands of golf threads to discuss the good stuff.

Let’s keep this thread to the topic at hand please. We have thousands and thousands of golf threads to discuss the good stuff.
Ok, was just trying to add some levity.

In Augusta we are about 2 weeks removed from when the restrictions were eased a bit. Military still under a General Order that may be amended after memorial day.

So far places are slowly opening back up and doing their best to comply with Governors Executive Order for reopening. I've noticed a significant increase in traffic while out of the house, but things are still below normal levels. Already a number of places announced that they would not open and have closed up. Thankfully, most of my family's favorites have remain in business and we have found some new favorites as we try takeout each week. I've been able to get a haircut but it was weird with all the PPE.

My gym reopens Friday but I won't be going for awhile. I'll stick for running for now.

I'm curious to dig into the county statistics to find out how many are prison and nursing home related.

Isn’t the title of this thread about “Local Impact”? That’s fine- your local impact in whatever your area is might be minimal in relation to hospital beds, infection rates, mortality, etc... But that ain’t the case in my “Local” area. Apparently, we got back doored by Europe, when everyone was watching China. And I said before- if you are traveling to the US from Europe, you are most likely to travel through the NYC/EWR airports. Over 2 million people came from Europe through those airports while travel was banned from China. Those 2 million passed through or stayed here on their way to other places. Population density certainly makes a difference. So, when you complain about overreacting officials, or “I want Red Lobster and a haircut so everyone should be able to do the same”- you aren’t talking locally. You are projecting your local outlook onto others reality.
These are CNN talking points. It is not about getting a haircut. It is about people losing their jobs . This is hypocritical.

Interesting ruling here...

“The Wisconsin state Supreme Court has struck down Gov. Tony Evers’ stay-at-home order, ruling that the Democratic governor does not have authority to act without input from the legislature, even during a public health crisis. The 4-to-3 decision was written by four conservative judges on the court.“

One thing im not getting at all and its honestly getting very aggravating to me. That is this idea in NY (or anywhere) that they need to contact trace. Its ridiculous notion especially in NYC and surrounding areas.
Firstly its almost impossible to do given the crowded buses and subways in NYC.

But also (and here is the part that is crazy). And so lets say my place of employment (which is a college) opens back up. My department is necessary to open and in fact we cant open unless my workers are there. And so.....the contact tracing (as is being stated up here) is going to insist that anyone in contact with a positive 19 person will then have to go n 2 week quarantine. My workers (for what we do) are most the time working close together. There is no way to do our jobs without coming to close contact. So whats going to happen when some tracing team finds that one my workers either has covid or they been in contact with anyone who has it? They are going to tell that person and all of us who been in contact with him to go quarantine which will shut us down again. Then we all return 2 weeks later only to find this happens to another one of us and then we are all back home again and the college closes yet again, wash rinse repeat. This will happen at any business. Soon as anyone gets covid or anyones been in contact with a covid the whole place must close again for 2 weeks and then again if it happens to anyone else there.

What about when just one student gets covid? They will then have to quarantine every student they been near in class and everyone they have then been near in other classes. What about a professor or lab scientist etc,etc... The whole thing is stupid and pointless. Soon as anyone gets covid or soon as anyone was in contact with one.......then basically everyone else gets quarantined and we repeat. The whole thing is stupid crazy. Nothing will ever open if they try to enforce this.

How is closing churches and schools shutting down the economy?
Pretty sure I said more than just that.

And I quote: Places like Saint Louis did indeed shut down businesses such as movie theaters and pool halls, and placed a limit on public gatherings.

I also said: So it's not like it was unheard of to shut down certain businesses, it just wasn't as prevalent.

Likewise in Des Moines, they closed "all places of amusement: including theaters, moving pictures houses, dance halls and public dancing places, pool and billiard halls, skating rinks, outdoor athletic events." So they shuttered basically what we would call "non-essential" businesses.

When the pandemic first started we were also ending a World War, and then trying to recover from one, so I imagine that changed the calculus juuuuuust a bit.

Pretty sure I said more than just that.

And I quote: Places like Saint Louis did indeed shut down businesses such as movie theaters and pool halls, and placed a limit on public gatherings.

I also said: So it's not like it was unheard of to shut down certain businesses, it just wasn't as prevalent.

Likewise in Des Moines, they closed "all places of amusement: including theaters, moving pictures houses, dance halls and public dancing places, pool and billiard halls, skating rinks, outdoor athletic events." So they shuttered basically what we would call "non-essential" businesses.

When the pandemic first started we were also ending a World War, and then trying to recover from one, so I imagine that changed the calculus juuuuuust a bit.
I’m not sure that I can extrapolate the closing of businesses of amusement with all non-essential business. I wasn’t around in 1918, but I don’t see a mention of closing blacksmiths, general/farming supply stores, or even saloons. I have no idea of those were closed. To be clear, I’m not sure anyone is really objecting to the limitation on large gatherings. What most are objected to is the closure of Bob the barber and Sally the shoemaker and those folks from being able to open with certain restrictions, but allowing 50 people to be nuts to butts in a Piggly Wiggly.

And as an aside, the description of closing places of amusement kinda sounds like the plot of Footloose to me.

I’m not sure that I can extrapolate the closing of businesses of amusement with all non-essential business. I wasn’t around in 1918, but I don’t see a mention of closing blacksmiths, general/farming supply stores, or even saloons. I have no idea of those were closed. To be clear, I’m not sure anyone is really objecting to the limitation on large gatherings. What most are objected to is the closure of Bob the barber and Sally the shoemaker and those folks from being able to open with certain restrictions, but allowing 50 people to be nuts to butts in a Piggly Wiggly.

And as an aside, the description of closing places of amusement kinda sounds like the plot of Footloose to me.
I wouldn't call farming supply stores non-essential. Then again, we haven't closed down Wal-Marts nowadays either. And again, I reiterate, coming directly out of a World War probably changes the calculus somewhat.

Correct. The response was to shutting down economies. This is a far cry in my opinion.

I wouldn't call farming supply stores non-essential. Then again, we haven't closed down Wal-Marts nowadays either. And again, I reiterate, coming directly out of a World War probably changes the calculus somewhat.
Ok I’ll bite. Changes how? Legitimately asking.

Ok I’ll bite. Changes how? Legitimately asking.
A drop in European demand for American military products for starts, which no doubt resulted in having to switch back to more civilian-minded industries.

In Augusta we are about 2 weeks removed from when the restrictions were eased a bit. Military still under a General Order that may be amended after memorial day.

So far places are slowly opening back up and doing their best to comply with Governors Executive Order for reopening. I've noticed a significant increase in traffic while out of the house, but things are still below normal levels. Already a number of places announced that they would not open and have closed up. Thankfully, most of my family's favorites have remain in business and we have found some new favorites as we try takeout each week. I've been able to get a haircut but it was weird with all the PPE.

My gym reopens Friday but I won't be going for awhile. I'll stick for running for now.

I'm curious to dig into the county statistics to find out how many are prison and nursing home related.
Interesting. I spoke with a friend in the Savannah area and he said it feels like nothing has changed.

Wow. Everyone is turning on the over leadership.

Did you mean to say overlords and spellcheck got you?

It's about time. Hopefully other state supremes follow suit.

One thing im not getting at all and its honestly getting very aggravating to me. That is this idea in NY (or anywhere) that they need to contact trace. Its ridiculous notion especially in NYC and surrounding areas.
Firstly its almost impossible to do given the crowded buses and subways in NYC.

But also (and here is the part that is crazy). And so lets say my place of employment (which is a college) opens back up. My department is necessary to open and in fact we cant open unless my workers are there. And so.....the contact tracing (as is being stated up here) is going to insist that anyone in contact with a positive 19 person will then have to go n 2 week quarantine. My workers (for what we do) are most the time working close together. There is no way to do our jobs without coming to close contact. So whats going to happen when some tracing team finds that one my workers either has covid or they been in contact with anyone who has it? They are going to tell that person and all of us who been in contact with him to go quarantine which will shut us down again. Then we all return 2 weeks later only to find this happens to another one of us and then we are all back home again and the college closes yet again, wash rinse repeat. This will happen at any business. Soon as anyone gets covid or anyones been in contact with a covid the whole place must close again for 2 weeks and then again if it happens to anyone else there.

What about when just one student gets covid? They will then have to quarantine every student they been near in class and everyone they have then been near in other classes. What about a professor or lab scientist etc,etc... The whole thing is stupid and pointless. Soon as anyone gets covid or soon as anyone was in contact with one.......then basically everyone else gets quarantined and we repeat. The whole thing is stupid crazy. Nothing will ever open if they try to enforce this.
Newsome is considering allowing baseball without bats.

My twitter account has over 1M followers. If you have any gripes, let me know.

Oh, by the way....but of course the good doctor...head of the CDC....the guy who has promoted the loss of 30M jobs can change his mind....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back