Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that pisses the wife off even more - especially when she (the governor) claims to be suffering through bad hair days just like everyone else. Please tell me one more time... "we're all in this together"
That phrase needs to be retired. It reminds me of “in this economy” from 2009.

It's too early but are you ready for some football?!??!

That phrase needs to be retired. It reminds me of “in this economy” from 2009.

I'm tired of ..." in these uncertain times.." That's all you hear with commercials on local radio.

You know why they say, "we're all in this together" ... besides being trite ... we're all at each other's throats.

What's the news in Michigan? Is "that woman" a bit pissed or do stats say it's slowing and she is stubborn? Nanny Governor?

I'm tired of ..." in these uncertain times.." That's all you hear with commercials on local radio.

You know why they say, "we're all in this together" ... besides being trite ... we're all at each other's throats.

What's the news in Michigan? Is "that woman" a bit pissed or do stats say it's slowing and she is stubborn? Nanny Governor?
Exactly. Aren’t all times uncertain?

I’ve spent more time in Michigan than I care to admit, I have to believe she doesn’t have a lot of friends outside of the metro areas. I’m thinking she did a lot of lip syncing to the Evita soundtrack in her younger days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s easy to tell others what they can and can’t do, until it’s your Job and means to provide for your family that is affected...

I have friends that were Pro-Lock down until they got furloughed, now they plan on pulling a different lever in the Fall.

We are going to play football this Fall...

Big Ten could have trouble with Rutgers and Maryland, especially the former. Heard they might do home-home games with division foes (east & west).

True dat!
c56bd59582e0987afde9fda23ce9f407.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

This is what occurs when you don't adapt to a changing situation and have 50 deciders.

Last edited:
Big Ten could have trouble with Rutgers and Maryland, especially the former. Heard they might do home-home games with division foes (east & west).
I looking forward everyone in the SEC reporting for training camp, except for Kentucky. Let that fool Governor get close to canceling basketball season, and see what happens.

It’s going to be glorious... 🍿

I agree, but they could have tried to restructure, but COVID took that from them. But I do agree, many, if not all, were having trouble and there was simply no way for them to survive this.
In the case of Pier 1, that is exactly what they tried. Apparently there was a 3 year turnaround plan that began in 2018 that failed miserably which ended up in them filing for bankruptcy back in January or February
Like Fupresti said, COVID just closed the casket but had nothing to do with their downfall.

I looking forward everyone in the SEC reporting for training camp, except for Kentucky. Let that fool Governor get close to canceling basketball season, and see what happens.

I think some of these governors don't realize that they're standing on the edge of a cliff and the ground is crumbling beneath them.

I haven't been following closely, but stats look to be trending down.

I have no way of knowing where her heart is. If she truly cares about saving lives and is simply being overly-cautious, that's forgivable, even if it's a bit unnecessary. I certainly can't fault her for erring on the side of caution initially.

But the picture has become a little clearer. Different regions have different levels of danger, the age group that is most at risk are for the most part out of the work force (yes, we kind of knew that at the beginning). If her actions are political, or if she's being defiant just to prove she's in control, she'll hopefully get what she deserves in 2022.

What's worrisome is that cases and deaths will likely spike back up in a few months. If she's this cautious now, there's no reason to believe strict guidelines won't be put back in place.

@JB, @GolferGal - please let me know if I'm crossing the line with the politics. It's not my intention.

“Florida went out of its way to get COVID-19-positive people out of nursing homes, while New York went out of its way to get them in, a policy now widely acknowledged to have been a debacle.”

something something blue state, something something UK bleed blue...

(Disclaimer I am not a UK fan, so I’d be totally fine with cancelling their basketball season... 🤣)

I haven't been following closely, but stats look to be trending down.

I have no way of knowing where her heart is. If she truly cares about saving lives and is simply being overly-cautious, that's forgivable, even if it's a bit unnecessary. I certainly can't fault her for erring on the side of caution initially.

But the picture has become a little clearer. Different regions have different levels of danger, the age group that is most at risk are for the most part out of the work force (yes, we kind of knew that at the beginning). If her actions are political, or if she's being defiant just to prove she's in control, she'll hopefully get what she deserves in 2022.

What's worrisome is that cases and deaths will likely spike back up in a few months. If she's this cautious now, there's no reason to believe strict guidelines won't be put back in place.

@JB, @GolferGal - please let me know if I'm crossing the line with the politics. It's not my intention.

FWIW, you're ok in my book - factual with a guess at what miight occur. It seem as if women leaders in other countriies tend to be more careful and put the lid on quickly with good results - but you've got to take the lid off, even gradually.

So completely unscientific - I say this Virus burns out.
I say that as it gets transferred from person to person it gets a little weaker.
As it gets weaker, the human body handles it better and fights it off for those with strong enough immune systems.
At the point it weakens, science will catch up with it.

1589982182322.png

This is what occurs when you don't adapt to a changing situation and have 50 deciders.

But you aren't advocating against that right? The basis in how this country operates seems fairly important.

I’ve spent more time in Michigan than I care to admit, I have to believe she doesn’t have a lot of friends outside of the metro areas. I’m thinking she did a lot of lip syncing to the Evita soundtrack in her younger days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah my company is headquartered in Michigan and the one guy in a Zoom call the other day told me he was thrown out of Home Depot for trying to buy paint.

Apparently you weren’t even able to buy “non-essential” products at stores. Also if you had a cottage up in the northern part of the state you could not go to it. That is absolute insanity and scary

But you aren't advocating against that right? The basis in how this country operates seems fairly important.

Right - not advocating against State rights versus Feds, but there is a better way - collaboration. It's an odd siituation when a natiion is shut down. We saw what occurred in LA wiith Katriina - FEMA, Federal Troops - I can't remember but you'd think the Gov called them in to assist.

Thinking about it ... we don't always operate where the States have primacy. We have federal laws that take primacy over state laws. So one law can take precedent over 50 in such cases. Frankly, I don't know where powers begin and end with a national emergency such as a pandemic. Does Fed take primacy - I don't know.

In business, you have a leader, usually one leader and events usually are less chaotic when you have a good leader making decisions based on input from various experts, and then you have, let's say, State leaders carrying out those decisions or confering with the leader as to why a State needs an exception from the rule.

But a nation is not a business, it's a politicaal division of powers.

In the case of this pandemic, we saw governors perplexed because they were lookiing to the fed gov't for guidance. What is the plan?

So to keep State authority while feds are helping out, it makes sense to delegate duties. Feds have FEMA - it seems they are setup to get PPE and Ventilators and assist States. Feds have CDC and NIH, etc. What the Feds don't have are businessmen - So you set up guidelines based on collaboration fo medical experts and busiinessmen with the proviso that as events develoop, you make changes.

Feds gather governors to get input on Fed guidelines and exceptiions - get Governors to buy in. Governors will bargain for exceptions to guiidelines and confer on a regular basis as to their actions and ideas.

Goal would be to balance safety - both economic and public health safety but the Gov to make ultiimate decision on their State. I find that more input with a leader having people buy into the process always gets better results.

I think witih more cooperation and input from everyone, it would have been a smoother, faster, more efficient process of opening up.

But we seem to be going forward, just more slowly but more chaotically with more divison than what we wanted at a high cost. But as they say, we are all in this together in these uncertain times... (ugh as to the trite sayings)

(sorry for the typing - Mac keys are sticking)

Yeah my company is headquartered in Michigan and the one guy in a Zoom call the other day told me he was thrown out of Home Depot for trying to buy paint.

Apparently you weren’t even able to buy “non-essential” products at stores. Also if you had a cottage up in the northern part of the state you could not go to it. That is absolute insanity and scary
Meanwhile in Texas we got to sit in the bar at the club after our game yesterday. 11 guys around 2 tables almost like normal. Pretty much every guy works from home and they have all been playing rounds together through all of this. One of the oldest is 71 and has diabetes, smokes and drinks like its going out of style, and just doesn't care about the virus at all. He had a friend fall down the stairs the other night and break his neck and pass away. He wants to enjoy his life until his time comes and is ready to get back down to his boat on the coast so he can fish.

Right - not advocating against State rights versus Feds, but there is a better way - collaboration.

Except that is what is happening now, according to Birx and the task force. Constant calls with governors sharing their thoughts on different impacts based on geography. Decisions and advice offered by task force and doctors and then ultimate decisions done on the state level, which based on this entire thread and the stuff posted previously, certainly has worked outside of maybe a single state or two.

Let’s just scrap the whole Republic of States thing that we have going... Right? Very fascist of you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back