Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
They want to reopen? Sure, do it. Have at it. But let's consider this for a moment. A third to a quarter of most American churches are comprised of the elderly, the people most at risk of this disease (and if we're being honest, the group most likely to attend church). I don't see many (if any) of these churches taking any approach to protect this high risk group.
Why do you believe those elderly folks aren't capable of deciding for themselves whether it's safe for them to go to church? My aged mother self quarantines and church is all she has left at 93. If she's not contacting others outside church why should she be denied that opportunity if she's willing to take the risk? And for those who are afraid they might be infected by her recklessness either at church or other places, they are free to stay home or wear hazmat suits or whatever they feel is appropriate. I'm sure she would appreciate everyone looking out for her best interests but she'd be the first to tell you she's quite capable of making her own decisions.

Why do you believe those elderly folks aren't capable of deciding for themselves whether it's safe for them to go to church? My aged mother self quarantines and church is all she has left at 93. If she's not contacting others outside church why should she be denied that opportunity if she's willing to take the risk? And for those who are afraid they might be infected by her recklessness either at church or other places, they are free to stay home or wear hazmat suits or whatever they feel is appropriate. I'm sure she would appreciate everyone looking out for her best interests but she'd be the first to tell you she's quite capable of making her own decisions.
I never said they were not capable of deciding for themselves. Did I say that? If so, please point it out to me and I'll gladly correct my statement. The statement you quoted of mine does not, not by a long shot, make the claim you attribute to me. I will say this though, if they do attend, it only heightens their risk, and is all the more reason for churches that intend on opening to take precautionary measures. IMO it's the considerate thing to do. I'll be interested to see what measures these churches plan to put into place, if any.

The statistical pissing matches in this thread are exhausting. I feel like my cause of death is going to say," Dead by COVID19 Local Impact Thread".
When I was at home on furlough, it would have said "death by covid induced repetitive Mickey Mouse Clubhouse exposure"

The issue is choice, you should stay home if you feel safer there (no one is telling you can’t stay at home).

Others should be able to leave home and go about their lives, if they don’t feel the same fear.

Should they feel the same fear you do? Maybe, but you don’t get to make that decision for them.
You only get to make that decision for you and you alone.

The idea that someone exercising their Freedom is selfish, is repugnant in a Free Society.

I don't agree with you, but I understand what you are saying.

If they could limit the infection to themselves, that's fine. When they let themselves loose upon the general public without taking precautions, I've got problems with their behavior. A free society runs both ways. I've heard of protesters attempting to infect others - I think they were accused of an assault. Apparently, there are limitations. People go into a Church during a highly contagious pandemic without precautions, sing, speak loudly, huddle together, etc, and then run into public areas - you are taking away the freedom of reasonable people to walk the streets in a reasonably safe manner.

But I see your argument. I'm just glad the authorities don't agree with you. And Churches or other gatherings have options for safety.

Comment: Saying "Stay home if you want." does little to protect people because very few people are able to live in total isolation. So can people please take some precautionary measures to reduce their (and others) exposures?
Response: Stay home if you want.

:rolleyes:

I never said they were not capable of deciding for themselves. Did I say that? If so, please point it out to me and I'll gladly correct my statement. The statement you quoted of mine does not, not by a long shot, make the claim you attribute to me. I will say this though, if they do attend, it only heightens their risk, and is all the more reason for churches that intend on opening to take precautionary measures. IMO it's the considerate thing to do. I'll be interested to see what measures these churches plan to put into place, if any.
My apologies, I thought you were suggesting churches should be closed. If you're saying that churches should be allowed to open if they choose, and the members should be able to decide for themselves whether it's safe to go or not, then we are in agreement.

Churches are being allowed to open next week too here, but with certain restrictions. As there should be imo.

WTXL
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) — Gov. DeSantis announced Friday that all state-issued restrictions on youth activities, which includes summer camps and sports, will be lifted, effective immediately.

He made the announcement during a press conference on Friday.

"We trust parents to use common sense," Gov. DeSantis said.

Comment: Saying "Stay home if you want." does little to protect people because very few people are able to live in total isolation. So can people please take some precautionary measures to reduce their (and others) exposures?
Response: Stay home if you want.

Let's try and limit the "you need to post this way".

There are people that agree and people that don't agree with locking people in. The states will decide what is allowed and what isn't, and as they do and people want to venture out, get back to work, save their business, etc. They add exposure.

For those that want to limit that, the appropriate response is they should. Doing so means keeping their own SIP regardless if it is mandated or not.

I don't agree with you, but I understand what you are saying.

If they could limit the infection to themselves, that's fine. When they let themselves loose upon the general public without taking precautions, I've got problems with their behavior. A free society runs both ways. I've heard of protesters attempting to infect others - I think they were accused of an assault. Apparently, there are limitations. People go into a Church during a highly contagious pandemic without precautions, sing, speak loudly, huddle together, etc, and then run into public areas - you are taking away the freedom of reasonable people to walk the streets in a reasonably safe manner.

But I see your argument. I'm just glad the authorities don't agree with you. And Churches or other gatherings have options for safety.
Churches in my opinion are a different issue , than say, going to a Nashville Sounds Baseball Game.

The ability to assemble at a Church is a right specifically guaranteed by the 1st Amendment.

The ability to attend to a Baseball Game isn’t guaranteed by the 1st Amendment.

The courts will eventually decide if the authorities are justified in their actions restricting Church services during this emergency. Regardless, Star Wars Night at Sounds Stadium is cancelled this year, and that is sad.

EDBC067A-82A2-4FB4-A79D-F035CB9C9AAD.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got the word that no one at my day job will be required to go back to the office through August, at least. :confused:

Just got the word that no one at my day job will be required to go back to the office through August, at least. :confused:
Wow! Is that typical for most offices/businesses in your area?

These bullish!t click bait articles saying COVID cases jump X amount of numbers in the last two weeks make me so mad. Of course they jumped we have done more testing. They don’t mention the percentage of cases just throw out numbers to scare people.

I’m going to go back to reading fiction novels instead of this garbage on the internet.

Got into quite the argument with a friend yesterday on the matter of choice. Admittedly, I have not been the best quarantined individual. I've gone to my friend's house, we've sat in socially-distanced circles. I've been inside her house. All of that was my choice, and my small group of neighborhood friends (4 of us total, including my wife) agreed to keep it that way.

Until my friend decided to invite two of HER friends over. Never met those guys, don't know where they are from, but they were nice enough. But that's not the point. So, my friend and I debated this.

Where things went sour was when she said "it's my house and I can do what I want."

Chinas version of the CDC just stated masks are not required outdoors, while exercising, at schools to in non-crowded/well ventilated indoor environments.

Masks are only requires in crowded and closed places like public transit.

Wow! Is that typical for most offices/businesses in your area?

As far as I know, yes. My wife's office in downtown Chicago (banking industry) is also an essential business (as my office is as well), but they have no plans to bring everyone back to the office anytime soon.

...People go into a Church during a highly contagious pandemic without precautions, sing, speak loudly, huddle together, etc, and then run into public areas - you are taking away the freedom of reasonable people to walk the streets in a reasonably safe manner...
Maybe this is where a lot of the disagreement comes from. Some feel that it is other peoples responsibility to keep them "reasonably safe" while other people feel it's up to them to keep themselves reasonably safe. And maybe this is how it also parallels with partisanship where some generally feel it is the government's responsibility to provide and take care of them while others think that's up to them as individuals.

Either way, everyone has their own definition of reasonably safe and when it comes to covid what's reasonably safe to a 23 year old is completely different than a 93 year old. Heck, it's not even the same for two different 93 year olds. I like to think I'm a reasonable person and IMO those people are not taking away my freedom to walk the streets in a reasonably safe manner. The only people who have been doing that is the government, about which I have no recourse, and ironically are the only ones legally required to protect those freedoms.

These bullish!t click bait articles saying COVID cases jump X amount of numbers in the last two weeks make me so mad. Of course they jumped we have done more testing. They don’t mention the percentage of cases just throw out numbers to scare people.

I’m going to go back to reading fiction novels instead of this garbage on the internet.

If you click that bait, you are reading fiction novels.

As far as I know, yes. My wife's office in downtown Chicago (banking industry) is also an essential business (as my office is as well), but they have no plans to bring everyone back to the office anytime soon.
Wow. I’m in an essential business and we’ve had folks going into the office this entire time. Our current policy is anyone who can work remotely should do so, but we don’t have a definite timeline for returning to work. Are gyms opening up around you? I know some of our gym-based PT clinics are at the mercy of their landlords who have been required to close.

Well if they say only 7% tested positive that doesn't sound so scare as saying 1900 tested positive.....

If you click that bait, you are reading fiction novels.
Isn’t there a saying about not buying your food where you buy your bait? There should be an internet equivalent related to news outlets with click bait articles 🤔

Isn’t there a saying about not buying your food where you buy your bait? There should be an internet equivalent related to news outlets with click bait articles 🤔

I know there is in the golf website world...:ROFLMAO:

Wow. I’m in an essential business and we’ve had folks going into the office this entire time. Our current policy is anyone who can work remotely should do so, but we don’t have a definite timeline for returning to work. Are gyms opening up around you? I know some of our gym-based PT clinics are at the mercy of their landlords who have been required to close.

Yep, our essential businesses are doing the same. My office is open, but I don't have to go as I can work remote.

Gyms are still closed, but I believe as IL moves into Phase 3 of our reopening plan, that changes with restrictions.

Churches in my opinion are a different issue , than say, going to a Nashville Sounds Baseball Game.

The ability to assemble at a Church is a right specifically guaranteed by the 1st Amendment.

The ability to attend to a Baseball Game isn’t guaranteed by the 1st Amendment.

The courts will eventually decide if the authorities are justified in their actions restricting Church services during this emergency. Regardless, Star Wars Night at Sounds Stadium is cancelled this year, and that is sad.

View attachment 8945001

It's a very sad situation - I want to go to Mavs Games - I have a half-season tickets for 2 and Cuban may owe some money - one reason they haven't canceled the season.

On the first amendment, limitations do exist. And Washington crossed the Delaware during a pandemic before we were a Country. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back