Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michigan Governor extends stay at home

Just worth mentioning that technically Memorial day was not meant for parties and celebrations but is actually about mourning , remembering, and paying respects to those that gave their lives for us. We some how lost that ideology in our 3day party weekend summer kickoff celebration. And yes some can or will suggest that we also can "celebrate" the lives of those who sacrificed but again not really what its about. And all that said I fully admit im just as guilty as anyone in overlooking what it really is.

People have a tendency to see what reinforces their beliefs. If something contradicts those beliefs, it is either ignored or spun in such a way to make it more palatable.

It’s far worse than that. There are people who have posted in this thread that are the literal embodiment of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Just worth mentioning that technically Memorial day was not meant for parties and celebrations but is actually about mourning , remembering, and paying respects to those that gave their lives for us. We some how lost that ideology in our 3day party weekend summer kickoff celebration. And yes some can or will suggest that we also can "celebrate" the lives of those who sacrificed but again not really what its about. And all that said I fully admit im just as guilty as anyone in overlooking what it really is.

I know a ton of vets and all would prefer we celebrate their deaths rather than mourn. Same with most first responders.

I hope when I die my family burns my body on a funeral pyre while drinking their preferred alcoholic beverage and smoking a cigar.

Deuce, do you really think the administration has not tried to get the testing pushed out? Isn't that a function of the private sector? I am really surprised with all the great medical minds and research facilites here in the U.S. they have not whipped this thing. I am a old Piledriver so no chance at understanding all the graphs and surveys and frankly don't want too, but I bet my wife 2 months ago that someone at a University here in the U.S. or at a pharma Company would have had the testing thing figured out and a way to beat this thing worked out in 2-3 months.

Is it that tough of a bug that even the best in the world cannot figure out how to beat it? THe Company that figures out how to beat this thing will make Billions, why has it not happened?

It can't be the red mans fault all together. Not that this is political in any way...
I mean the following sincerely and I’m not slamming you at all, just making a random comment:

What a great age we live in when we’ve advanced so far scientifically and medically that the expectation is we can create and mass produce a vaccine for a previously unseen virus within a matter of months. And we just might! It really is amazing if you think about it.

I know a ton of vets and all would prefer we celebrate their deaths rather than mourn. Same with most first responders.

I hope when I die my family burns my body on a funeral pyre while drinking their preferred alcoholic beverage and smoking a cigar.
Maybe so ..........but we cant ask all the ones who were killed how they feel. But I assume you or most anyone knows what i mean in that it is suppose to be a day of mourning, respect and remembrance and honoring. I dont at all have issue with parties and celebrations but was just making the point its not really what its for.

Maybe so ..........but we cant ask all the ones who were killed how they feel. But I assume you or most anyone knows what i mean in that it is suppose to be a day of mourning, respect and remembrance and honoring. I dont at all have issue with parties and celebrations but was just making the point its not really what its for.

Believe it or not, many communities have Memorial Day parades, and veterans march in them. I am a vet myself, and don't see anything wrong with celebrating Memorial Day, and if I was dead, I sure as hell would rather have people hoisting a few and sharing some laughs, then getting all maudlin.

Vancouver is opening all city park and beach parking lots by Sunday, with the exception of the 2 most popular lots

ok folks....so i am sorry I tried to point out that memorial day was not really abut partying but more about paying respect and honoring and mourning those killed.

I mean I only responded to a post that showed where a governor told his citizens of his state that they can find other ways to "enjoy" their holiday weekend. And it simply made me think that at some point we kind of lost what the day is really about. Lets face it.....most people (including myself) simply view it as start of summer and a 3day weekend to BBQ or whatever else and most forget what it even is.

Thats just a truth. So forgive me for trying to send a little something out there to remind us for what memorial day is which (lets be honest) most of us dont really give much a thought to normally. Just maybe in these social distancing circumstances we can take one or two moment to think abut that while we cant have our normal BBQ party celebrations where we usually dont give it a single drop of thought at all.
But apparently no one needed to be reminded of this nor wants to here it and we should all just party hardy and forget what the day is about. I dont know ..........I though i was doing a good respectful thing. But sorry as usual most people have to find something wrong with even just something simple like this.

Regardless of all those who might like us to party drunk and break-dance on top their graves to celebrate their lives.........Tons of killed who by no choice of their own and scared out their minds was sent to front lines and were killed that just maybe would like us to spend a few hours remembering them for what they sacrificed on our behalf. I have no issue with the parties either (I do them myself most my life) but only thought it good to mention and sometimes remember what its really about.

Last edited:
I am not sure it is “worth mentioning” in the Covid thread how others should spend their Memorial Day. I hope you have a good time doing whatever you want to do. I will be celebrating the holiday with numerous veterans like I do most every year. Not that it is anyone’s business, but I don’t actually plan on break dancing on graves this holiday.

Last edited:
ok folks....so i am sorry I tried to point out that memorial day was not really abut partying but more about paying respect and honoring and mourning those killed.

I mean I only responded to a post that showed where a governor told his citizens of his state that they can find other ways to "enjoy" their holiday weekend. And it simply made me think that at some point we kind of lost what the day is really about. Lets face it.....most people (including myself) simply view it as start of summer and a 3day weekend to BBQ or whatever else and most forget what it even is.

Thats just a truth. So forgive me for trying to send a little something out there to remind us for what memorial day is which (lets be honest) most of us dont really give much a thought to normally. Just maybe in these social distancing circumstances we can take one or two moment to think abut that while we cant have our normal BBQ party celebrations where we usually dont give it a single drop of thought at all.
But apparently no one needed to be reminded of this nor wants to here it and we should all just party hardy and forget what the day is about. I dont know ..........I though i was doing a good respectful thing. But sorry as usual most people have to find something wrong with even just something simple like this.

Regardless of all those who might like us to party drunk and break-dance on top their graves to celebrate their lives.........Tons of killed who by no choice of their own and scared out their minds was sent to front lines and were killed that just maybe would like us to spend a few hours remembering them for what they sacrificed on our behalf. I have no issue with the parties either (I do them myself most my life) but only thought it good to mention and sometimes remember what its really about.
She does not care about Veterans.

I mean the following sincerely and I’m not slamming you at all, just making a random comment:

What a great age we live in when we’ve advanced so far scientifically and medically that the expectation is we can create and mass produce a vaccine for a previously unseen virus within a matter of months. And we just might! It really is amazing if you think about it.
Yet we still treat cancer patients the same way we did 40 years ago.
giphy.gif

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

You need to look into something called EMDR. It will change your life.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

And all this post does is once again see one side. It’s fine, that’s where you align and I have absolutely no problem with that. I just wish people can admit they only see it one way and learn to keep the politics out of this thread. Maybe this will be your last political post??? Maybe...

I would argue that it’s not political at all, unless you consider discussing the facts of the pandemic response political. Certainly not as political as mentioning assassination as a certain governors potential outcome.

I guess I’m confused, you asked me a direct question and reiterated that you wanted an answer. Maybe it was rhetorical, my apologies.

I am not sure it is “worth mentioning” in the Covid thread how others should spend their Memorial Day. I hope you have a good time doing whatever you want to do. I will be celebrating the holiday with numerous veterans like I do most every year. Not that it is anyone’s business, but I don’t actually plan on break dancing on graves this holiday.
I didnt try to tell people just how they should spend thier day. Lets not twist this into anything more. I only suggested the idea of what memorial day really is and also I only at one point suggested maybe to take a moment to reflect on that if they want while we are at home this current memorial day not usually doing what we normally might be doing on other memorial days in the pat. . I even mention Im as guilty as anyone at normally forgetting why we even have the day as a holiday.
Just the idea that I get so much negative response for that is just ridiculous. I mean how dare I mention to remind us what memorial day is really for. I guess thats a crime that i did that.

Patrick Ewing has the virus.

Just saw an interview and there appears to be genuine concern we won’t have enough infected people to begin clinical vaccine trials this summer...

Can someone fix the time circuits on the Delorean please?

This thread is like when you are speaking to someone who doesn't understand your language so you talk louder.

plan.jpg

Just saw an interview and there appears to be genuine concern we won’t have enough infected people to begin clinical vaccine trials this summer...

Can someone fix the time circuits on the Delorean please?
I don't think that's really going to be a problem, but say it were ... if done properly, a challenge trial could be one route to test vaccine effectiveness. It's been done before.

Oregon is opening county by county. Counties have to submit plans showing they are compliant with the governors criteria. We live in the county that’s W /SW of Portland. We are not open yet. The county on the far side of Portland opened today. The wife arranged to sluff the daughter off on a friend, figured out plans for the son and is currently searching online for restaurant/bars in that county. Looks like I’m going out tomorrow night.

Oregon is opening county by county. Counties have to submit plans showing they are compliant with the governors criteria. We live in the county that’s W /SW of Portland. We are not open yet. The county on the far side of Portland opened today. The wife arranged to sluff the daughter off on a friend, figured out plans for the son and is currently searching online for restaurant/bars in that county. Looks like I’m going out tomorrow night.

good luck buddy. FYI you’re gonna get an influx of California defectors. All the U-Haul centers in East Bay I visited this week said they are seeing a lot of equipment headed to Portland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back