Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are thousands of people ailing, lives lost, etc.
Somehow a small golf club with ties to a large financial institution and some athletes has 1 person go to the hospital and it’s an AP headline....just done to inform. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I guess maybe they should have gone with the puddle story...:ROFLMAO:
There was a headline linked at the bottom of the page: Boy, 6, cracks open robbery case by reeling in sunken safe

I didn't read it. Though it still exists.

• Eye Roll
Reactions: JB
Legit have to go check my credit card statements because I can’t remember the last time I bought gas... wild when I think about it that way!

• Haha
Reactions: JB
It was a non story to begin with, but then to report it with “trigger“ words makes it a garbage headline. We are talking in circles so I am not going to waste my time.

Gotta sell papers and onliine subscriptions ...

That's really bad. A lot of people will simply read the headline and assume the worst.

And that’s what the left leaning media wants. They have their followers captivated so just give them a headline they can retweet, post of Facebook and cause unnecessary paranoia.

Our personal viewpoint has bee to have a healthy respect for the virus and it’s deadly potential, but also respect everyone else risk tolerance because if it doesn’t fit into your risk matrix doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

Gotta sell papers and onliine subscriptions ...

Its pathetic and these “news” institutions should be ashamed of themselves. And before someone tries to say I’m playing to one side I am talking about all sides. They all make me sick with this click bait garbage.

Last edited:
And that’s what the left leaning media wants. They have their followers captivated so just give them a headline they can retweet, post of Facebook and cause unnecessary paranoia.

Our personal viewpoint has bee to have a healthy respect for the virus and it’s deadly potential, but also respect everyone else risk tolerance because if it doesn’t fit into your risk matrix doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

Let’s keep the politics part out of it, please.

My wife's friend's mother passed away yesterday! Her mom passed before she got there! What a horrible way to go. Isolated in Hospice with nobody there!

Talked to a friend who's part of an restaurant ownership group during yesterday's round. All of their sites closed 2+ months ago and they received multiple PPP loans. I asked about rent payments. He said there's not a restaurant in town paying rent right now. Yikes.

I don't know the details but it would be interesting to following the money on this one. Cities will demand taxes to make their payroll. Doubt any municipalities offer relief since government deemed all their workers as essential, to the best of my knowledge. Property owners won't be able make their payments to the bank and city. Does the federal government step in as a backstop to the banks as they did in 2008? Current and future (via debt) tax payers will ultimately fund significant portions of the shutdown.

View attachment 8945385
Governors say revenues are down > Congress does / does not deficit spends to bail out states.

Hahaha. I think you missed my point. 1 employee at a club going to the hospital and then released is not a story. It’s pandering due to the tie ins to the club and done for no other reason than create divide.
You should really reread Duece’s (rather good) post mate.

Hahaha. I think you missed my point. 1 employee at a club going to the hospital and then released is not a story. It’s pandering due to the tie ins to the club and done for no other reason than create divide.

It’s not surprising...
#enemyofthepeople

Legit have to go check my credit card statements because I can’t remember the last time I bought gas... wild when I think about it that way!
You made me go check...my last fill-up was April 17th. Still had 1/4 tank yesterday when I went to the store. And I drive a pickup that gets about 12 mpg.

Interesting read.

Posting since this treatment has been suggested a number of times in this thread:

If I read it correctly, the problem I see with that study is that it was done with hospitalized patients only. To be hospitalized to begin with the people had to be in pretty bad shape. That study does not address the use of hydroxychloroquine in those who have the virus but are either asymptomatic or don't have serious enough symptoms to be hospitalized. It also does not address its use as a prophylactic.

If I read it correctly, the problem I see with that study is that it was done with hospitalized patients only. To be hospitalized to begin with the people had to be in pretty bad shape. That study does not address the use of hydroxychloroquine in those who have the virus but are either asymptomatic or don't have serious enough symptoms to be hospitalized. It also does not address its use as a prophylactic.
Honest question- Wouldn’t survival rate for those that don’t have to be hospitalized already be very high? So in those cases not sure it makes as big difference compared to cases that require hospitalization.

One big positive I take from the reports out of Sweden- the disease isn’t spreading as rapidly as they expected. That means the social distancing measures they have imposed at their restaurants and elsewhere help. As we open up with similar measures, I think that bodes well.

Looks like Long Island is next for easing of restrictions. Hopefully, they’ll get carts out for general public soon. Right now it’s 65+ and/or handicapped. My buddy has worse knees than I do, but not old enough and not handicapped enough, so walking is tough.

I am 65, and here in MA, you have to have a disability or a doctor's note to be able to take a cart. Age isn't a consideration.

You are completely missing the point here. It’s not about don’t read that news source if you don’t like it, it’s about any news source posting garbage headlines like that, creating fear and panic when it’s not necessary. It’s about showing that the “news” is not helping these situations, only hurting it. It’s not about liberal news or conservative news, it’s about news and journalism as a whole.

I remember a time if a reporter walked into the editor's office with a story and one anonymous source, the editor would throw him out. Nowadays it seems like a lot of stories hinge on an "anonymous source". Sometimes I wonder if they make up an anonymous source just so they can publish something that either enhances their narrative, and/or destroys those who happen to have a different point of view.

Fixed it.

I remember a time if a reporter walked into the editor's office with a story and one anonymous source, the editor would throw him out. Nowadays it seems like a lot of stories hinge on an "anonymous source". Sometimes I wonder if they make up an anonymous source just so they can publish something that either enhances their narrative, and/or destroys those who happen to have a different point of view.

When responsible media does an in-depth article, I see it sourced from 50 different sources when they can't be named for fear of retribution - when 50 people are saying the same or similar facts, I'll give it crediibility based on their past articles and reputation.

Interesting read.

That's for the link! I found these parts very interesting:

"...despite adopting more relaxed measures to control the coronavirus, only 7.3% of people in Stockholm had been exposed to the virus by late April. This percentage is actually lower than estimates from several of the hardest hit cities in the world, such as Wuhan, Madrid, and New York, all of which were under lockdown."

"..it’s estimated that between 4%-7% of Sweden’s population has been infected to date. This is not materially different from country-wide estimates for France and Spain, two nations that imposed harsh lockdowns."

"Sweden’s death rate has been about average among Western countries"

So according to this article, Sweden did not lock everything down and the data says their rate of infection and death are pretty much identical to other western cities that did. This is pretty telling in that is suggests SIP and everything related to it did pretty much nothing to control the spread of covid. In fact they cite this as a problem with the herd immunity approach - not enough people are getting infected in Sweden.

I guess this is good news in a way, although if it was all for nothing then it's certainly disappointing when looking back at what we've done to our country here in the US. The only real question within the scope of this article left unanswered is why fewer people died in Denmark and Norway vs pretty much all other western countries.

When responsible media does an in-depth article, I see it sourced from 50 different sources when they can't be named for fear of retribution - when 50 people are saying the same or similar facts, I'll give it crediibility based on their past articles and reputation.

"Responsible media" seems to be a bit of an oxymoron today, lol. Remember Huntley and Brinkley, Walter Cronkite? Those days are long gone...

That's for the link! I found these parts very interesting:

"...despite adopting more relaxed measures to control the coronavirus, only 7.3% of people in Stockholm had been exposed to the virus by late April. This percentage is actually lower than estimates from several of the hardest hit cities in the world, such as Wuhan, Madrid, and New York, all of which were under lockdown."

"..it’s estimated that between 4%-7% of Sweden’s population has been infected to date. This is not materially different from country-wide estimates for France and Spain, two nations that imposed harsh lockdowns."

"Sweden’s death rate has been about average among Western countries"

So according to this article, Sweden did not lock everything down and the data says their rate of infection and death are pretty much identical to other western cities that did. This is pretty telling in that is suggests SIP and everything related to it did pretty much nothing to control the spread of covid. In fact they cite this as a problem with the herd immunity approach - not enough people are getting infected in Sweden.

I guess this is good news in a way, although if it was all for nothing then it's certainly disappointing when looking back at what we've done to our country here in the US. The only real question within the scope of this article left unanswered is why fewer people died in Denmark and Norway vs pretty much all other western countries.
About the comment on sip- Sweden’s rate of infection is higher than Denmark and Sweden (maybe a lot higher due to Sweden’s lack of testing). That’s more apples to apples than all of Europe.

Otoh on the economic impact, I think their contracttion may be inevitable due to being a member of the UE. That they contracted at a similar rate doesn’t mean that the Us economy would have contracted the same regardless.

It’s difficult to make concrete statements with only that data set either way. Does seem like a damned if you, damned if you don’t scenario. But it makes for interesting conversation.

By they way, the president played his first round of golf since COVID-19 took off, and wasn't wearing a mask. Some in the media took exception to that. I have been playing golf for a couple of weeks now, and I don't, nor have I seen, anyone else wearing a mask. The Daily Mail was particularly unforgiving. I didn't see Rory, Dustin, Rickie, or Matt wearing masks either, and I suspect Tiger, Phil, Tom, and Peyton won't be wearing them as well.

Brazil is a whole other story, and doubt too many want to discuss that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back