Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
By they way, the president played his first round of golf since COVID-19 took off, and wasn't wearing a mask. Some in the media took exception to that. I have been playing golf for a couple of weeks now, and I don't, nor have I seen, anyone else wearing a mask. The Daily Mail was particularly unforgiving. I didn't see Rory, Dustin, Rickie, or Matt wearing masks either, and I suspect Tiger, Phil, Tom, and Peyton won't be wearing them as well.
Wearing a mask while golfing doesn’t make any sense to me. As we open up here it’s a requirement, but also one that I expect to go away quickly.

"Responsible media" seems to be a bit of an oxymoron today, lol. Remember Huntley and Brinkley, Walter Cronkite? Those days are long gone...

Remember them all ... and that's the way it is ... I pay little attention to cable or tv news. But they've got to be influenced by ratings $$$$

Wearing a mask while golfing doesn’t make any sense to me. As we open up here it’s a requirement, but also one that I expect to go away quickly.

It doesn't make any sense to wear a mask in an uncrowded situation. Played yesterday, 4 of us and no one around except the guys behind us (we went off first at 6:20 am). I'd actually prefer Trump to take a week off and play golf and avoid twitter. Stress reliever.

It doesn't make any sense to wear a mask in an uncrowded situation. Played yesterday, 4 of us and no one around except the guys behind us (we went off first at 6:20 am). I'd actually prefer Trump to take a week off and play golf and avoid twitter. Stress reliever.

There is literally no reason for the last part of your post other than to make it political. We continue to ask and people continue to ignore and as @GolferGal mentioned it is getting frustrating to the point you guys are forcing our hand that we will have to start removing members again that lack any form of self control.

There is literally no reason for the last part of your post other than to make it political. We continue to ask and people continue to ignore and as @GolferGal mentioned it is getting frustrating to the point you guys are forcing our hand that we will have to start removing members again that lack any form of self control.
Got it.

Man, I can’t wait to get a damn haircut.

I got one yesterday and said it was like going to a speakeasy haha.
She was fantastic, wipe down everything, both of us wore a mask and I could not be more relieved.

I got one yesterday and said it was like going to a speakeasy haha.
She was fantastic, wipe down everything, both of us wore a mask and I could not be more relieved.
I’m jealous. Of course I’m balding so I’ve got nothing growing where I want or need it but the back of my head feels like I’ve got a mullet going on. I can’t stand it.

Brazil is a whole other story, and doubt too many want to discuss that one.
Brasil is a mess, I emailed my friends down there last week and still no answer. From what I have read Sao Paulo is in bad shape and that is one of those places I would not want to go to the hospital for any reason. You go in with one thing and either don't come out or have something worst.

A mask in that heat will not be fun, I bet if they made it mandatory here in Florida there would be a lot old guys laying around the fairways and not from the Rona.

A mask in that heat will not be fun, I bet if they made it mandatory here in Florida there would be a lot old guys laying around the fairways and not from the Rona.

It’s probably close to as hot here. I’m not one that likes breaking rules, but will consider taking it off during the round.

Just saw a submitted research doc for peer review that states asymptomatic carriers are not spreaders. If this proves accurate then masks are pretty much pointless I’m assuming.

About the comment on sip- Sweden’s rate of infection is higher than Denmark and Sweden (maybe a lot higher due to Sweden’s lack of testing). That’s more apples to apples than all of Europe.

Otoh on the economic impact, I think their contracttion may be inevitable due to being a member of the UE. That they contracted at a similar rate doesn’t mean that the Us economy would have contracted the same regardless.

It’s difficult to make concrete statements with only that data set either way. Does seem like a damned if you, damned if you don’t scenario. But it makes for interesting conversation.
I don't get why comparing Sweden to France is invalid. I know the media keeps pushing that but I've yet to see a rational, scientific reason why. Just going with 'they're Scandinavian' doesn't really cut it. We've compared NYC to various cities across the majority of continents and in both hemispheres but now comparing Sweden to another European city that's a 2.5 hour plane ride away is apples to oranges? I'm going to have to disagree on that one.

As to the economy, clearly we should expect it to decline at the same rate. We live in a connected, global economy so when everyone else closes their economy you can't think you'll be able to keep going as if you lived in a vacuum. Like you said, if anything the rest of the EU (world?) kind of screwed them over and took them down with the ship. What might be interesting however is the recovery side. As we've had to learn the hard way, it's easy to issue a SIP order but it's a whole other gordian knot to unwind it. Sweden will likely be far ahead of everyone else when it comes to that although as long as everyone else's economy is ruined it won't really make much difference.

Brasil is a mess, I emailed my friends down there last week and still no answer. From what I have read Sao Paulo is in bad shape and that is one of those places I would not want to go to the hospital for any reason. You go in with one thing and either don't come out or have something worst.
This is just more evidence that the only real factor in the spread of the virus is population density (and for mortality it's age). If you live someplace like NYC, Madrid or Sao Paulo it's bad news for you. Meanwhile some counties in the US have as few as 1 case. What the data unfortunately suggests at this point is that SIP doesn't really matter, social distancing doesn't really matter and wearing masks doesn't really matter. Living in a city with 20,000 people per square mile? It's going to take more than social distancing and wearing some homemade mask to keep you healthy. But then that's been the lesson about infectious diseases since we knew what caused them so why we're having to learn that again I don't know.

Governors say revenues are down > Congress does / does not deficit spends to bail out states.
Should have been more clear about the tax comment. Each state has a different funding formula. MN has about 15 revenue sources such as; income tax (45%), sales tax (24%), corporate (5%), gas (4%), property (4%), vehicle (3%), and remaining sources (15%). Total is 100%. Many of these sources will be significant down but I haven't seen any news about a corresponding reductions in spending. Some states will have to increase taxes in several areas to reach 100 because they can't run a deficit. This is going to impact a lot of tax payers. Please note some states are in good shape and others are a mess.

IF the feds stepped in to support banks, then it will likely come from deficit spending. This impacts future payers at the federal level. Either way, it looks like tax payers will fund the shutdown fallout in one form or another.

My sister-in-law graciously agreed to cut my hair yesterday. I swept the hair up after she finished cutting and it filled a dust pan. I feel 3 pounds lighter!!! :)

If you don’t play the season, then you can’t lose Ohio State....

Go Gretchen! Oy vey...

That’s my future ex-ex wife you’re talking about there sir, careful....

Lol. Only because I’ve seen her without a face mask and with my glasses off.

Unglassed Smiter: making every 2.5 feel like a 10 again.

From further than 10ft they’re all 10’s. What’s that saying, nice from afar but far from nice? Sumpin like that.

Oof Michigan’s governor will be lucky to not be assassinated at this point

Bite your tongue! Not because she’s my future ex-ex wife but don’t say stuff like that. You don’t wanna be on record stating things like that, ever. Because what happens if it happens? You’re now a suspect. Stated as a friend but you should never ever put something like that out there.

Believe it or not, many communities have Memorial Day parades, and veterans march in them. I am a vet myself, and don't see anything wrong with celebrating Memorial Day, and if I was dead, I sure as hell would rather have people hoisting a few and sharing some laughs, then getting all maudlin.

Glad you’re not sir. Thank you again for your service. Now let’s keep it that way! Salud!

I don't understand, please repost in meme format

French Canadian rolls 👀, lol.

You once called me out. Only because you thought you knew what you didn’t know. Congrats on your win at an event. I finished DFL. I still had the time of my life and I didn’t even have a floating green, lol.

Holy cow smiter, multiquote is your friend 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back