Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
It likely won't be until effective treatments or vaccines are widely available. But it could stop spreading before then. Many unknowns.
I want to be sure I understand your response. You are advocating that SIP and business closures are needed until effective treatment/vaccine is available? If so, it was nice to share this planet with you. There's no way any economy will survive in that mode for the next 18-24 months.

Wow. Every data point used for medical is equally accessible in economy.

Every year people die sadly from contagious ailments. To pretend that that data is somehow different is very odd. That the tens of thousands that die every year Are somehow different than those now and that every expert that has backtracked on projections and the current CDC numbers for those under 50 would absolutely not bring any sort of lockdown.

Social distancing was designed to not overwhelm hospitals. They are not overwhelmed. In fact they are being laid off all over the country.

Opening safely and trying anything to get the meat 50 million back to work should be imperative.
somewhere along the line, flatten the curve became extend (and extend and extend) the curve

I want to be sure I understand your response. You are advocating that SIP and business closures are needed until effective treatment/vaccine is available? If so, it was nice to share this planet with you. There's no way any economy will survive in that mode for the next 18-24 months.
Something will likely be available by the end of the year.

There's no guarantee there will every be an effective vaccine.

MERCK CEO said most likely next year and definitely next year for their company. A small chance one company gets there, but no guarantee we ever get one.

The idea that lockdown should stay until that seems really odd based on the data that exists currently.

Now I'm not saying anything on the numbers in that Excel spreadsheet (a different topic altogether), but I'm amused by the use of manipulative imagery. I wonder what the two smiling portraits and the two scowling more candid photos have in common.:unsure:

I remember reading something waaaaaaay back about portrait manipulation used in political campaigns (although not limited to such), i.e. stretching the face, adding red skin tone, pushing the hairline back, yellowing teeth, etc. It was very interesting, but I can't remember where it was.

So what should we do about the 40 million (and counting) unemployed Americans, wait until the end of the year?

MERCK CEO said most likely next year and definitely next year for their company. A small chance one company gets there, but no guarantee we ever get one.

The idea that lockdown should stay until that seems really odd based on the data that exists currently.
The data is that this virus is the deadliest of our lifetimes. That is the data.

The data is that this virus is the deadliest of our lifetimes. That is the data.
But it’s not... It’s been proven that it’s not the most deadly virus of lifetimes.
You are still reading from the March talking points...

Most likely emergency vaccines will be available in the Fall. Treatments possible too

I think somethings that people are overlooking is that NY (NYC specifically) were dismissing this and encouraging people to go about their business as normal. That on top of the years of budget mismanagement that negatively affected the hospital systems caused a lot of their issues with the virus.

I have no doubt SIP mandates worked and helped, but in some cases it was a little too late, and in most cases was an overreaction.

I think somethings that people are overlooking is that NY (NYC specifically) were dismissing this and encouraging people to go about their business as normal. That on top of the years of budget mismanagement that negatively affected the hospital systems caused a lot of their issues with the virus.

I have no doubt SIP mandates worked and helped, but in some cases it was a little too late, and in most cases was an overreaction.

And don’t forget the governor sending COVID patients back into nursing homes.

But it’s not... It’s been proven that it’s not the most deadly virus of lifetimes.
You are still reading from the March talking points...
Correction- it’s the most dangerous virus of our lifetimes. It’s not the deadliest because of the lockdowns.

Correction- it’s the most dangerous virus of our lifetimes. It’s not the deadliest because of the lockdowns.
Maybe, because now 1 in 4 Americans are unemployed, but not because of this virus.

Most likely emergency vaccines will be available in the Fall. Treatments possible too

Possibly. Possibly not according to CDC and MERCK and J&J CEO today.

But are you really suggesting national lockdown until then? There are states with literally less than 30 deaths and they should be locked down because other areas are struggling?

There are over 40 million people unemployed since the start of this, thousands of businesses that have closed. What should they do? Just live on handouts, lose their homes, etc because a virus that doesn’t impact those under 50 much, might pass it to people that we can keep safe with precautions?

Ill agree on one thing, it is the most dangerous virus in our lifetimes, but not because of the sickness.

No, that's not data, that is a political narrative.

Let's staaay far away from that one.

Open safely and respectfully.

My simple take is we are still learning about this virus - we know that distancing and masks help to slow its spread. Being outside and distanced is safe. And that's all we've got. And the virus surprises us all the time. We can't make up our mind about it. Research goes back and forth. I don't expect herd immunity to take over after reading NYT this morning. It's only about 10% in most places, but who knows tomorrow? And then we hear the asymptomatics may be 40-80%. I'm confused.

So each of us must make our own common sense guidelines based on our health, conditions, and age. Each of us have a different set of risks. Just respect the health of others. If that's a mask in an appropriate setting, it's not a political statement, it's a mask to stop the spread to others. Have the fun you choose. Go to work, go have fun, travel, get a haircut, a massage, relax. Take care of you, respect the virus, and most of all -- Respect others.

Last edited:
HIV is a pretty dangerous virus. Not contagious like this, but still a virus.

Late to the party here.

Keeping things locked down until a vaccine is available is not the right answer. It’s a moving target that won’t be caught anytime soon. COVID-19 is of the same viral family as the common cold. There is no vaccine for any of the other Covid viruses, and we catch colds every year.

It’s also a false equivalency to compare this to the flu, especially when discussing vaccines. Flu vaccines are always a year behind, by design. We cannot predict how a virus will mutate, nor can it predict how our species adapts to the virus. This is why pharmaceutical companies are a thriving industry.

The best thing to do is to reopen, with caution, and continue to adapt.

Possibly. Possibly not according to CDC and MERCK and J&J CEO today.

But are you really suggesting national lockdown until then? There are states with literally less than 30 deaths and they should be locked down because other areas are struggling?

There are over 40 million people unemployed since the start of this, thousands of businesses that have closed. What should they do? Just live on handouts, lose their homes, etc because a virus that doesn’t impact those under 50 much, might pass it to people that we can keep safe with precautions?

Ill agree on one thing, it is the most dangerous virus in our lifetimes, but not because of the sickness.
There are phased re-openings happening, as they should if the infection rates come down based on accurate testing. Leisure flying is not something that needs to occur in the first phase of re-openings.

More than 1,000,000 people have recovered from COVID. That is validated data, which I have seen and worked with, personally.

And 900,000+ people aren't dead that may have been without the shutdowns.
Where did you get this number ? From the famous faulty model? And flattening the curve doe not reduce the area under the curve, it just extends it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back