Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyms are open in Texas - 25% capacity, but showers and locker rooms are not open - only the WC

And oh, gosh, what models haven't been wrong? (maybe some exist) They are models. They change based on what we know at that moment.

Data can be so easily manipulated to make a point. Sweden, which enforced some forms of social distancing but didn’t perform a lock down has 8 to 10x times more Covid deaths/pop than it’s Nordic neighbors that did impose strict lockdown measures. The case could be said (and I wouldn’t agree with it due to lack of sample size) that if other places had decided to not lock down, their death rates would be 8-10x higher. Anyone can find numbers to defend a position in this

Pass the popcorn... this is like watching a tennis match.

But some tend to jump on each other instead of looking for similarities. I bet that most of our opinions only vary in small degrees, not canyons.

Last edited:
And 900,000+ people aren't dead that may have been without the shutdowns.
You know this from Fauci’s model...? LOL

Something will likely be available by the end of the year.
The data is that this virus is the deadliest of our lifetimes. That is the data.
Most likely emergency vaccines will be available in the Fall. Treatments possible too
Correction- it’s the most dangerous virus of our lifetimes. It’s not the deadliest because of the lockdowns.
And 900,000+ people aren't dead that may have been without the shutdowns.
It's hard to have a discussion if the data to support your position isn't real. I fully support you having your opinion but I can't see it as credible based on the data you've used to formulate that opinion. You be you and I'll be me and we'll part ways at this point.

@LICC I'm not trying to gang up on you. I do think this virus is very dangerous and agree that without the lockdown, numbers would have been much higher. The number of deaths we are currently seeing are not far from projections that some mocked early on... and with more to come as the year progresses.

But there are ways to protect those who are at a greater risk without locking down the entire economy.

For one thing, a large percentage of those in danger are no longer in the work force. For those who are not statistically at risk but who choose to be safe, there are - or should be - options for those folks as well. I don't think anyone is advocating forcing anyone out. This country needs to get back to work, IMO. If companies and employees simply practice some of the safety guidelines, the spread can be reduced and the economy can hang in there. At the level of our individual families, we need to be careful around those at risk. That's on us as individuals and there are ways to do this as well.

Many more people will die from the virus and that's tragic. To me, it doesn't matter in what condition or age someone is... it's still a life that's lost and it should matter. But the alternative of continuing the lockdown could be worse for many years to come.

Just my opinion.

Never would've guessed New York to have a higher "morality rate" than Texas.

You've would've thought with a Church on every other street corner and in shopping centers, Texas would have "morality" covered.

You've would've thought with a Church on every other street corner and in shopping centers, Texas would have "morality" covered.

In MA, it's not church's that are on every corner, no, we have Dunkin' Donuts on every corner, lol.

ps: The town I live in was founded in 1625. Our claim to fame, is we have the busiest DD on the planet. DD's are like a virus, spreading everywhere. :)

In MA, it's not church's that are on every corner, no, we have Dunkin' Donuts on every corner, lol.

Yes, I travel to Boston about once a year. All true.

Georgia ..

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 7.07.51 PM.png

Hope they have hospital capacity ... Georgia was at 79% in early May.

Georgia - one of last to close, first to open. Hope it gets better for everyone

Georgia ..

View attachment 8946192

Hope they have hospital capacity ... Georgia was at 79% in early May.

Georgia - one of last to close, first to open. Hope it gets better for everyone
and more graphics that are useless without the data behind them. Makes for a 'woke' headline though.

Events are one of the great things on THP. You get a chance to golf with other members, test equipment, and meet awesome people from an OEM. I sent an email a couple of weeks ago to an OEM employee I met at an event. Just wanted to say hi and offer best wishes to him and his family. I received his out of office message and don't think he's back in the office yet. I really can't imagine the toll this is taking on his family and career. Most of us hope "normal" returns soon. However, I'm concerned normal is much smaller than it was a few months ago.

Don’t forget Mr Vortexdave, you got to meet one of the most interesting hackers on here... @PKorf .... haha!

It's hard to have a discussion if the data to support your position isn't real. I fully support you having your opinion but I can't see it as credible based on the data you've used to formulate that opinion. You be you and I'll be me and we'll part ways at this point.
It’s hard to have a discussion if you just ignore reality that is contrary to your desired view.

and more graphics that are useless without the data behind them. Makes for a 'woke' headline though.
Georgia’s recent spike in new COVID-19 cases likely indicates the virus is spreading and cannot be solely attributed to a surge in testing, a prominent public health expert said Thursday.
“It’s not ‘either or.’ I think it’s probably both,” Dr. Carlos del Rio, chairman of the global health department at Emory University and the dean overseeing physicians at Grady Memorial Hospital, said during a press conference with Dr. Colleen Kraft, director of Emory’s Clinical Virology Research Laboratory. ...

the partial end of the state’s shelter-in-place order, allowing most Georgians to move about, is a key reason behind a 26% percent rise in cases between the weeks of May 11 and May 18, Del Rio said.

Georgia’s recent spike in new COVID-19 cases likely indicates the virus is spreading and cannot be solely attributed to a surge in testing, a prominent public health expert said Thursday.
“It’s not ‘either or.’ I think it’s probably both,” Dr. Carlos del Rio, chairman of the global health department at Emory University and the dean overseeing physicians at Grady Memorial Hospital, said during a press conference with Dr. Colleen Kraft, director of Emory’s Clinical Virology Research Laboratory. ...

the partial end of the state’s shelter-in-place order, allowing most Georgians to move about, is a key reason behind a 26% percent rise in cases between the weeks of May 11 and May 18, Del Rio said.

Yup, that's what viruses do.

MERCK CEO said most likely next year and definitely next year for their company. A small chance one company gets there, but no guarantee we ever get one.

The idea that lockdown should stay until that seems really odd based on the data that exists currently.
“Albert Bourla, head of Pfizer, meanwhile said that his company, which is conducting clinical trials with German firm Biontech on several possible vaccines in Europe and the United States, also believed one would be ready before the end of the year.“

It’s hard to have a discussion if you just ignore reality that is contrary to your desired view.
It’s hard to have a discussion with someone who wants to lockdown healthy people until the end of the year...

Locking down vulnerable people is called quarantine. Locking down healthy people is called Tyranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back