Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe that anyone at all has ever said or meant that just because someone had existing health conditions, that "it's ok that they die".
While I have no idea what people mean when they post what they post here (nor do you), no where in my post did I claim anyone on this site said or meant anything. As far as outside this forum, I believe it is naive to think some folks don't marginalize those deaths just to win an argument.

In any event, I was replying to a post from @TheHeez which had nothing to do with anyone else. Out of respect for the folks who run this site, I have no interest of turning this into a pissing contest. I'm only on this topic to read, discuss and consider most opinions. Despite some of the negativity, a lot of good points have been brought up on both sides of the issue. I can only hope we (the members) don't continue to f**k that up with the petty "my side is right, your side is wrong" BS.

It's a sad day in America when the media is no longer covering COVID19 and now covering all the mayhem going on in cities across this country.

It's a sad day in America when the media is no longer covering COVID19 and now covering all the mayhem going on in cities across this country.
It’s the nature of the media in the US. Everything is the greatest tragedy / outrage / horror story ... until the next fresh story comes along.

I am fully prepared to vote them off the island.

No politics, please. I cannot say it enough, this is not a place for political talk.

Corona = politics. You can disagree with that but doesn't make it less true.

Corona = politics. You can disagree with that but doesn't make it less true.
What is the point of debating this?

Site leadership/ownership has requested the least possible amount of political discussion in this thread. Yes, it's going to slip through, yes, tensions end up running high, but the reality is, bickering left/right up/down etc etc on a golf forum is simply not the engagements that will be tolerated.

Need to get political stuff off your chest? Great, there's a social media outlet DYING to read it.
Need to block all this BS away for a minute? Even better, there's an entire forum to discuss golf on.

It's simple. Deal with the rules as they have been presented endlessly, and do what you can to keep this neutral/civil, or move on.

Site leadership/ownership has requested the least possible amount of political discussion in this thread. Yes, it's going to slip through, yes, tensions end up running high, but the reality is, bickering left/right up/down etc etc on a golf forum is simply not the engagements that will be tolerated.

Need to get political stuff off your chest? Great, there's a social media outlet DYING to read it.
Need to block all this BS away for a minute? Even better, there's an entire forum to discuss golf on.

It's simple. Deal with the rules as they have been presented endlessly, and do what you can to keep this neutral/civil, or move on.

If there was an option to like this post a million times I would. Thank you!!

I’ve long criticized local media, but at least here the focus is still mosty on the gradual reopening of the economy. And while the riots are mentioned, the discussion about the events leading up to it and the problems those events represent are always present.

Back to topic - latest Corona Map - overall, US cases were at a height of 30k per day are now 21k (approx). Northeast is a lot better, but flareups are occurring -

Map by USA, State, County - cases

By the way, let's hold off on the death of MSM. Although some of the gifs are funny. I've been reading the NYT since 1986 (so much on Health, Cooking, Lifestyle Fashion, Travel, Sports, etc) and the Economist. No one is perfect. Now cable news, that can die. lol. Let's have fun.
  • The New York Times announced it now has 130 million monthly readers and 3.5 million paid subscriptions, which is more than double the company's subscriber count since Q3 2015. The growth in paid subscriptions is notable as it helps the company stem against declining print ad revenue,...

Last edited:
Looks like Pfizer is the latest pharma company to have poor vaccine trial results. This is like the space race for big pharma, good thing everyone and their brother is working on a solution.

Not a joke. Every cart they brought out of storage had them.
We have some carts set up this way as well. The word I'm getting is that some people want to play in league or in general but aren't ready to share a cart without some basic precautions and we'll have a few carts set up this way for those that want them. We all have a bit different risk tolerance and if this helps those that would otherwise be uncomfortable than I'm all for it, though I would prefer not to use them. They aren't really all that bad.

We have some carts set up this way as well. The word I'm getting is that some people want to play in league or in general but aren't ready to share a cart without some basic precautions and we'll have a few carts set up this way for those that want them. We all have a bit different risk tolerance and if this helps those that would otherwise be uncomfortable than I'm all for it, though I would prefer not to use them. They aren't really all that bad.
Aside from being a bit comical upon first setting eyes on it, but given the current environment it's not actually a bad idea. As with the flagsticks however, one would have to be careful not to jump into the driver's seat to move the cart if the driver was way off on the other side of the fairway.

If nothing else, this whole ordeal has brought out the creativity in some of us.

Okay- back to golf. Played yesterday at a course with noodles. Unfortunately, consistency in length was not a priority. Most were nearly at ground level and a couple were 2+ inches below the surface. And wouldn't you know it, Both of us had several approach shots, longer putts and chips that "appeared" to go in (from a distance) and finished within a foot or three. And at least a couple of putts from less than 10 feet that rolled over the noodle and out. Those were easy to call, the others, not so much. How about your place?

Okay- back to golf. Played yesterday at a course with noodles. Unfortunately, consistency in length was not a priority. Most were nearly at ground level and a couple were 2+ inches below the surface. And wouldn't you know it, Both of us had several approach shots, longer putts and chips that "appeared" to go in (from a distance) and finished within a foot or three. And at least a couple of putts from less than 10 feet that rolled over the noodle and out. Those were easy to call, the others, not so much. How about your place?
Ours are installed about an inch below the green's surface (basically the depth that is soil above the metal cup) Yesterday I had two putts that rolled into the cup, right across the top of the foam and out the other side. In my case, you could clearly see that the ball dropped below the green's surface so it was deemed as holed. As you pointed out, from the fairway it's much harder to make the determination. I think in this case you'd have to call it a "rub of the green", but mention it to the staff the next time you walked past or into the pro shop. If a noodle is at least an inch below the surface it should act like a regular cup IMO.

OMG finally a little bit of normal today. Restaurants are not open yet, but actually going into my office (still no customers allowed till Friday) and going to WaWa for lunch.

Amazing how important are the little things you complain about are some of the things you really take for granted.

Just checked my inbox and the club sent out the email today advertising these. They cited "reducing the stress of having four power carts per foursome" and "enjoying the social activity of sharing a cart with a friend" not to mention returning the cart rental rates back to regular levels.

I don’t think I’m going to want to share a cart after this COVID-19 situation is over...

One cart to every golfer should be the new normal, even with cart path only in effect, sub 4 hour rounds have become the norm.

I know that this isn’t financially viable.

EZb9pJrWkAQzBZ7.jpeg

Played a course with the noodles for the first time Saturday. Couldn’t hole a putt to save my life, but that was user error. I did however chip in for bird. Had been ages since I did that and it was nice to see it drop. Noodles were all pretty consistent about 1-2” below the surface and didn’t seem to impact the ball.

I don’t think I’m going to want to share a cart after this COVID-19 situation is over...

One cart to every golfer should be the new normal, even with cart path only in effect, sub 4 hour rounds have become the norm.

I know that this isn’t financially viable.
Financially viable for whom? The 1/2 cart rate at my course is $20. The course will gladly give you one for $40.

That said; I agree with you. I often play as a single in FL during the winter months. I wasn't a fan of the practice before Covid-19 but it had to do with being paired with chain smokers on 2 occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back