Correct Tee Height - Are We Losing 20 or More Yards in DIstance?

I have found the latest drivers (last 5 yrs or so) require a higher tee height to get the most out of them. My miss is often low on the face and my launch angle is too low so I have the ball teed up 3/4 above the equator.

When I tested my friends TM SIM driver this year, my usual 2 3/4" tees felt like they were too short. He handed me some of his longer tees and it seemed to help.

My driving has gone from liability to neutral this year and teeing it higher is part of the equation. I'm teeing it very high now and using 4 inch tee's. Recently I put a new driver/shaft combo in the bag and found I was coming in under the ball so had to lower it a bit. I'm trying to make exactly the same swing so this result was a surprise.

I think these terms are likely relative but teeing it up more then my historical norm has helped. black face drivers tell me where I hit it so I just adjust the tee height until I'm in the zone (upper half of the driver). If driving into a wind, I tee it down to hit on the bottom half.

My driving has gone from liability to neutral this year and teeing it higher is part of the equation. I'm teeing it very high now and using 4 inch tee's. Recently I put a new driver/shaft combo in the bag and found I was coming in under the ball so had to lower it a bit. I'm trying to make exactly the same swing so this result was a surprise.

I think these terms are likely relative but teeing it up more then my historical norm has helped. black face drivers tell me where I hit it so I just adjust the tee height until I'm in the zone (upper half of the driver). If driving into a wind, I tee it down to hit on the bottom half.
I've experimented with the longer tees but didn't find a noticeable difference. Now what I do is setup the driver about 6-8 inches to the right of the ball make sure that's the "bottom of my swing" and I swing from there vs. trying to hit-up on the ball, if that makes sense.

I’ve been golfing as a single or as a twosome paired with 2-3 other golfers and Im amazed at how high most people tee their ball.

I’ve been golfing as a single or as a twosome paired with 2-3 other golfers and Im amazed at how high most people tee their ball.

How high are they teeing? If I am using a 2 3/4 inch tee, it will barely get it in the ground. The sweet spots in the new drivers are usually above the center/center.

Love the TXG YouTube channel. Amazing how Matty can hit it on a certain part of the head with varying tee heights on command. I can hit it all over the face just don't know when high, low, middle, toe, heel or a combination thereof are coming. Lol

I think I've posted this before and if you use Evolve's Epoch Tee's this should help. Obviously swing plays a part but I find it useful and interesting.

Choose your tee, Driver make, Driver model & Driver Loft and it shows you where to place your tee in the ground to help finder center contact.

20 extra yards I doubt, but it can't hurt to try.

Tee height is the one thing I haven’t really messed with yet in my search for distance. I’m working on a few other things first.

One thing I do know about raising my tee height is that my ball will draw or just go straight left. Usually because I’m going to have to move it up in my stance and be going more left in the swing. So if I can figure that out then maybe.

How high are they teeing? If I am using a 2 3/4 inch tee, it will barely get it in the ground. The sweet spots in the new drivers are usually above the center/center.
I’m seeing guys teeing at the top of their driver face height when it’s on the ground pretty often- so 2”+. Maybe that’s normal with the new stuff, I’ve been outta the game for awhile. If I tee that high I end up under the ball. I see a lot of guys teeing up 1” or more with irons and hybrids on par 3’s.

I’m seeing guys teeing at the top of their driver face height when it’s on the ground pretty often- so 2”+. Maybe that’s normal with the new stuff, I’ve been outta the game for awhile. If I tee that high I end up under the ball. I see a lot of guys teeing up 1” or more with irons and hybrids on par 3’s.
I see that too, but I also play with guys hitting 280+ and they tee it up to the standard height, or half the ball above the face.

I use 3 1/4 Tee's as it is and tend to try to make contact on my driver in the "high third" of the club face

I use 3 1/4 Tee's as it is and tend to try to make contact on my driver in the "high third" of the club face
I have used the higher tees and the results are somewhat inconclusive. I think the higher tees might help some folks to feel more comfortable, meaning if the ball is teed higher there's less chance of topping or thin hits. Plus, the other comment is true regarding ball position because it can lead to pulls or hooks. But the good news is if dialed-in correctly I can hit a nice draw, and I know my misses will generally be more to the left.

Back