Cost and Technology Resistance: Why?

I am not outraged at all by costs. But I am the only person spending money out of my wallet. What I am saying is what people mean when they say something costs too much is that the seller didn't tell a utility story to that consumer to justify their cost.

Value = Cost/Utility

In English value is the $'s per unit of utility I get. Utility is an economics term that refers to the total satisfaction received from consuming a good or service. In golf like every product utility is different for me and everyone else, but cost is the same for all of us. Some people get a lot of utility from an Air Jordan logo being on their shoes and some don't. Doesn't change the cost of those shoes so the only buyers will be those that get a lot of utility from the logo.

I didn't mean to pick on PXG, but they are an easy example due to their past. I will try to find something better if I discuss this again.

It’s all good brother. And essentially that’s my point. To a large degree, utility is in the eye of the beholder. Many railing about the cost of a certain club or brand have never had one in their hands. For some a club may be a ‘game changer’ for that individual. Hard to put a price on that. I abandoned relatively new and expensive hybrids a year ago in favor of Cobra woods that allowed me to take my admittedly shabby game to a respectable level. I can’t put a price on that.

The cost of drivers talk is so worn out, their all basically the same give or take $100 for years.
The B21 love fest? Hardly.. Re-look at that thread, it’s probably 10-15 of the same people commenting constantly. The b21 irons got absolutely no love. The b21 hybrids and fairways got minimal at best.

That’s not my argument at all. I’m simply saying that a) almost all new golf equipment is exorbitantly priced, b) if you love the game, it’s likely worth the money spent for you even if others think you’re insane spending it, and c) some brands are labeled as insanely over-priced but the truth is, relatively speaking, golf is by definition a very expensive sport and if one is bothered by that there may be better hobbies/diversions to be found.

I don't think it's just a golf thing.....

People feel that manufacturers of all hobbies or industries charge too much. Everyone thinks that profit margin is wayyyy too high. Which can be true esepcially with soft goods.

for me, Ill typically wont justify buying something golf or any other hobby related brand new the day it comes out. Ill look for it on the second hand market for a better price. Tech is great and is getting better, but my scores aren't showing significant signs of dropping haha. But I do have more fun since my misses are less ;)

I buy new equipment because I like messing around with new stuff. It's part of the hobby for me. I honestly don't think what comes with "new" doesn't push the envelope in golf as much as it does in other industries. But at the same time, as JB noted the price of a driver hasn't changed all that much over the years. We've seen a push in the cost of irons, going up I think - but there's arguably been more innovation in that space than anywhere else in recent years.

Now, I think it's an open argument as to how much that helps a specific persons game, but there's absolutely additional tech in that space.

For me, it's all about costs. Technology is technology. Advancements are expected.

No, if I can shoot the same scores for $5 dollars that I could for $7 dollars, I'm saving that $2 dollars. I know the value of my earned dollars.

I am of the opinion that golf equipment, on average, is much more expensive than it needs to be.
I respect this take, for sure, I also respect that you still love to talk gear.
Sorry if this has been touched, I'm still only on page one but wanted to chime in a bit on this. Coming from a guy that has an extremely dry sense of humor, in this format (words typed on a forum) it gets hard to read emotions when you have no visual or audible indications on how the person is saying it. I struggle with this, but I take everything directed to me with a grain of salt when I cannot put those visual and audio clues to words I'm reading that I don't agree with.

In real life, we all have a want and need (some more so than others) to be accepted and right. To some extent we have lost the value of others opinions that differ from our own. James, as a former educator I'm sure you have seen this far too often with high school kids. I battle this even on the colligent level. We have had a tendency to voice our opinions on everything and allow ourselves to get offended way too easy instead of just keeping our mouths shut and walking away.

And now that I'm off my soapbox, I don't really like spending money on "new" golf equipment. It's hard for me to justify a $500+ driver and north of $1k for irons. I tend to buy most of my stuff used. I did stomach the purchase of the Calllaway B21 driver from all the rave reviews here, but I had a pit in my stomach for a good week but that disappeared when I actually used it on the course. It's a personal thing that I have a hard time justifying the price to what I benefit in buying the latest and greatest. If I had the income to get the latest and greatest, I wouldn't mind as much because new shinny stuff is always fun.

As a diesel mechanic/technician I did the same thing with tools. I have tens of thousands of dollars invested in tools (I stopped counting at $50k). I got the best that I could afford, be it Snapon/Mac/Matco or even Harbor Freight. I bought the stuff that I needed, and a lot of what I wanted, but I always bought the stuff that made my job easier because those tools are what put bread on my table and a roof over my families head. Now that I'm teaching my trade and don't have to buy as many tools, I can afford to buy some newer golf equipment :)
Love the post and the convo my guy. And I get you on the dry sense of humor, it’s hard in text and that’s why I spam the smileys on my posts to try and get the point across, last thing I’ve ever wanted is to upset anyone.

This is the type of reply I hoped to see in here, deep and conversational, thank you for that!

The cost of drivers talk is so worn out, their all basically the same give or take $100 for years.
The B21 love fest? Hardly.. Re-look at that thread, it’s probably 10-15 of the same people commenting constantly. The b21 irons got absolutely no love. The b21 hybrids and fairways got minimal at best.
I dunno, that driver thread has a lot o traction, and sales for that unicorn have been SUPER good.

It doesn’t bother me too much because golf equipment is a competitive market with lots of great options from D2C companies running on tighter margins. As long as it’s not the whole industry pricing people out of the market I see no issue if there are premium brands.

It doesn’t bother me too much because golf equipment is a competitive market with lots of great options from D2C companies running on tighter margins. As long as it’s not the whole industry pricing people out of the market I see no issue if there are premium brands.
That and you’re like me, you just love to talk gear no matter what. (y)

Well, I bought the ‘ridiculously priced’ B21, lol, so I have no issue with it. When I say ‘ridiculous’ I am commenting more on what we spend on golf equipment in general. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it’s hard to justify to someone who doesn’t love the game what we spend on it in the interest of improving our play. In that context, spending $500 for a stick to hit a ball with is kind of ridiculous.

But again, I’m all about doing what makes each of us happy. I guess if I’m being honest, the reason I personally get irked with the repetitive uproar over cost is because I feel like I’m being judgedbecause I think the value is there for ME. Maybe I just need to get over that.

I think your comments on PXG are dead on. I do get that Parsons all but invited uproar and criticism every step of the way. I just don’t think that should dominate every attempted conversation about their products.

"Parsons all but invited uproar and criticism every step of the way, I just don’t think that should dominate every attempted conversation about their products."

But it does....

I dunno, that driver thread has a lot o traction, and sales for that unicorn have been SUPER good.
The driver thread did have a lot of traction, a lot of the same people talking/conversation in it. Not arguing that. The love fest, hardly remark was I feel like the b21 got a bad rap from the get go for what it was labeled as a club. High handicap, senior division club. This is a driver anyone can play and should at least try it. Sales, I'm sure it did "super" well, I don't know numbers but I'd assume most Callaway stuff does well, they put out great products. I mean **** I got a free club and got 4 other b21's to go with it. I'm not a high handicap but the club works and I followed it up, went all in. 🤷‍♂️

I think if youre not willing to spend the coin, it doesnt really matter whether the new product works or not and thus thats where most peoples opinions or their initial reactions come in to play. This is not necessarily my philosophy all of the time however.

The driver thread did have a lot of traction, a lot of the same people talking/conversation in it. Not arguing that. The love fest, hardly remark was I feel like the b21 got a bad rap from the get go for what it was labeled as a club. High handicap, senior division club. This is a driver anyone can play and should at least try it. Sales, I'm sure it did "super" well, I don't know numbers but I'd assume most Callaway stuff does well, they put out great products. I mean **** I got a free club and got 4 other b21's to go with it. I'm not a high handicap but the club works and I followed it up, went all in. 🤷‍♂️

I should probably have made it clear I was part of the lovefest! I’m currently out of action but can’t wait to get back to swinging my exorbitantly priced driver :)

My pinto to BMW example may have been a little much haha. But R and D and new materials cost money. As a guy who had to play Persimmon driver heads and Balata balls in high school golf I appreciate R&D and new materials and I realize that comes with a cost. Also golf clubs have not gone up in price as much as some people think. I bought a TM bubble driver in 1995 and it was $300. Now I can buy a TM Sim for 499. I would say that’s a nice technology jump for $200

I think the big misconception, or really the question we should be asking is, is this a social activity, hobby, competitive sport, or passion?

As a social activity where you only play a couple times a year, you're going to get two types of individuals; those who get just enough to play (think old stuff and box sets) and those rich guys that want that "look at me" money throwing setup. Just my opinion, there are more of the big box inexpensive guys as opposed to the throw money at pretty equipment guys. Most of these people don't know the technology and think with their wallet first or flock to a name brand because of recognition. If they like the game and want to pursue it further, they go on to the next step and join an internet forum (like me).

I think as a hobbyist that rabbit hole can lead you as far and wide as you want it to and most people in that sector get the best that they can afford. Some can afford the latest and greatest while others can build what they want with components. Again, these guys find a pleasure in the game and the middle ground between competitive sport and social activity. This section is VERY dependent on ones finances and how much they can afford or justify for a hobby. This is where we see the introduction to technology, fittings, and general understanding of equipment by research. I would put the bulk majority of forum members here. People in this category are willing to pay the extra, again if they can afford it, for the technology if they feel it will give them significant improvements over what they currently have (like me with the B21 driver)

Those that have a passion for the game understand the technology. They can see through the snake oil, or at least be able to call a spade a spade. They are the ones that have zero problems paying top dollar for top equipment and are excited about getting new clubs as often as they can. They truly have a passion for golf. They also won't spend the money on the newest releases if there isn't a significant benefit, but I bet they hit it more than a few time in a simulator. They traditionally get fit for everything or know enough about their game to buy it blind with a specific shaft/head combo because they know it's going to work. There are a ton of those people here at THP.

As far as the competitive sport crowd, they can be placed into both the passion and hobbyist categories.

That and you’re like me, you just love to talk gear no matter what. (y)
Yup, the more options the better. I'll never be able to hit close to everything on the market and that's part of the fun, always something new to try. Even if things are out of my price or skill range it's fun to demo and even just read about and discuss.

Any golfer who loves the game quickly becomes an equipment junkie. They want to have access to the best gear available to hopefully help their game.
When said new product arrives and its priced to the stratosphere people seem to personally take offense to the fact the product is out of reach. The thought process is now tainted. PXG is a prime example of when it first arrived. No matter how good, that player who cannot obtain that product might be the loudest to condemn the club, ball, shaft, shoe or whatever that very expensive product is.
No one likes to be excluded. They take is personally and lash out. More human nature than anything.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

5 years ago I met up with an old bud who lives in Annapolis area and is a member at Caves Valley. I showed up and they took my clubs to the range. I always have good clubs but typically have a mixed bag. As I go to the range and meet my bud....the range is quite small. Maybe 40 yards side to side. There are like 12 bags set up in hitting areas. As I look for my bag I notice PXG clubs....as in every other bag is PXG clubs....I scratch my head. This membership is let's say...upscale. Why does everyone have PXG? It's what you needed to have to show your status at that point in time. Were they the best clubs? Doesn't matter.
The Japanese market has dealt with this for a very long time. They have several brands which who knows how good the clubs are but you can spend massive amounts on them. They actually have a star rating system for the value of a set of irons they actually use gold in the backs. It has nothing to do with playability. It has to do with status.
Overall, most everyone views a golf club first for the playability for their game and then is it priced such that it is an option for me. We all don't have the same ability to purchase golf clubs. Golf clubs are just like anything else....You buy based on the best available in your price comfort zone.

Back