Cost of Club Fitting

For me I am thinking one of the Taylormade P-range, the i210, i500, Cobra Forged Tec, JPX 921, MP20MMC or HMB, ZX5/ZX7. I'm really quite open! I just want something that makes me excited to play golf again.
Funny because I was warming up with the P790 last year and I really didn't like them, but lost of people LOVE them. I didn't try any other of the P range though and I am not sure if I hit any in my fitting this year as I didn't really look at most of the clubs because I didn't want any brand bias.

I know I did hit the i500 and didn't really care for them much either, I think the first shot I hit it sounded like a loud crack and I was kind of surprised by it, I even made a kind of "oh" comment right after I hit it. The next shots with it weren't as bad though as I was kind of expecting it and if it performed the best for me I still would have went with it.

I'm not sure if they sell Cobra at Ted and Dave's, but I've heard the Forged Tec are good.

I did own a Z785/585 combo set, which was one of the sets I traded in. I think they kind of contributed to golfers elbow with the v-sole and very hard ground conditions (Silverwing) which is one of the reasons I did the trade in last season. They were a great feeling iron though and if you play in more soft conditions they might be good.

I have changed irons far too often, partially about excitement as you said, but I have also changed my swing a lot over the past 4-5 years. I have now settled on what I am currently doing, using the Tour Striker Plane Mate and focusing on rotation and connection and I am pretty happy with where my swing is at now which is why I decided to go back and get fit again.

The funny thing is the fitter said that I hit the i210 head best in both of the different versions he handed me... I can say it wasn't even really close for me that day. I'm not even sure what the differences were, maybe one was power spec or different lie angle?

Your results may even be the total opposite of mine though and the i210 might not even work for you, you don't know until you try them.

When my brother in law went to get fit there he said he didn't even want to know what he was hitting because he just wanted the best option for him at the time...It ended up being the G410, which surprised him as he though he would end up with Titleist irons.

I did own a Z785/585 combo set, which was one of the sets I traded in. I think they kind of contributed to golfers elbow with the v-sole and very hard ground conditions (Silverwing) which is one of the reasons I did the trade in last season. They were a great feeling iron though and if you play in more soft conditions they might be good.

can you expand on this? I’m looking at the tech and how the sole works and struggling to see how it could impact this or add vibration.

can you expand on this? I’m looking at the tech and how the sole works and struggling to see how it could impact this or add vibration.
I think it was because my swing was steep at the time, more of a digger and with the extremely dry and hard ground it was tough to take a divot. I know with the 900 Forged I had I could still take a big divot (they went through the ground easier). I found the 785 seemed to push back out of the ground quicker so this could have affected it as well. I also think the heavier and stiffer shaft (for me) Project X LZ 6.0 might have contributed to the issue. I did injure my elbow on one specific swing though as I felt pain right after it.

I think it was because my swing was steep at the time, more of a digger and with the extremely dry and hard ground it was tough to take a divot. I know with the 900 Forged I had I could still take a big divot (they went through the ground easier). I found the 785 seemed to push back out of the ground quicker so this could have affected it as well. I also think the heavier and stiffer shaft (for me) Project X LZ 6.0 might have contributed to the issue. I did injure my elbow on one specific swing though as I felt pain right after it.

yeah odds are it had little to do with the sole, but glad you found something that works.

yeah odds are it had little to do with the sole, but glad you found something that works.
After the injury they ended up changing the shafts out for me on the 785 to the Modus 105 in S flex and that did seem to help. I did find the Project X LZ had a "kick" to it at impact so it could have been more shaft related.

I did a full bag fit with Club Champion. $350. Purchased a set of Apex DCBs and a FW wood with a shaft upgrade and paid about list retail for all. CC waived the fitting fee. Super happy with all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never tried to negotiate pricing with CC but it sounds like they may be willing to negotiate off the fitting fee. I don't believe they have any flexibility on the clubs as they are all built in a central location.

Funny because I was warming up with the P790 last year and I really didn't like them, but lost of people LOVE them. I didn't try any other of the P range though and I am not sure if I hit any in my fitting this year as I didn't really look at most of the clubs because I didn't want any brand bias.

I know I did hit the i500 and didn't really care for them much either, I think the first shot I hit it sounded like a loud crack and I was kind of surprised by it, I even made a kind of "oh" comment right after I hit it. The next shots with it weren't as bad though as I was kind of expecting it and if it performed the best for me I still would have went with it.

I'm not sure if they sell Cobra at Ted and Dave's, but I've heard the Forged Tec are good.

I have changed irons far too often, partially about excitement as you said, but I have also changed my swing a lot over the past 4-5 years. I have now settled on what I am currently doing, using the Tour Striker Plane Mate and focusing on rotation and connection and I am pretty happy with where my swing is at now which is why I decided to go back and get fit again.

The funny thing is the fitter said that I hit the i210 head best in both of the different versions he handed me... I can say it wasn't even really close for me that day. I'm not even sure what the differences were, maybe one was power spec or different lie angle?

Your results may even be the total opposite of mine though and the i210 might not even work for you, you don't know until you try them.

When my brother in law went to get fit there he said he didn't even want to know what he was hitting because he just wanted the best option for him at the time...It ended up being the G410, which surprised him as he though he would end up with Titleist irons.

Just got off the phone with one of the gentlemen at Ted & Dave's so I will be going to see them next week! Thanks for the recommendations, I really appreciate the time you put into your responses!

Just got off the phone with one of the gentlemen at Ted & Dave's so I will be going to see them next week! Thanks for the recommendations, I really appreciate the time you put into your responses!
Your Welcome. Let me know how it goes and what irons you get fitted into.
I hope it goes well for you!

The fitter I go to waives the cost of the fitting if you buy clubs from him. It is an independently owned Cool Clubs franchise. I isn’t true at all places though. I did pay for a putter fitting at Club Champion though and definitely felt like it was worth the $100.
I did a putter fitting at CC and agree, well worth it.
Fitter also pretty much comp'd me a driver fitting a few weeks later.

Had my fitting last night at the local golf shop that Dave74 suggested over GolfTec and am pretty happy with how things went! I was a bit fatigued from playing 18 on Monday and not being well conditioned this year (aka: I'm soft) and so while I wasn't swinging the best, I am happy with most of the results.

I hit the:
ZX5
P770
Apex 21
i210
MP20HMB
JPX921 Forged

Immediately the MP20HMB, Apex 21 and P770 fell away - the MP20HMB and Apex 21 due to me just not liking them/the results not being there, and the P770 due to distance, despite me loving it and finding it easy to get in the air and deal with.

So we shortlisted the ZX5, the i210 and the JPX921 Forged so we played with some shafts in each. Of the 3, I struggled with consistency with the ZX5, but when I got ahold of it, boy did it fly and feel good. The i210 was an average performer and was fine, but the JPX921 Forged ended up reigning supreme.
The ZX5 and the JPX921 Forged were the longest of all the clubs but the JPX had 1,000-1,500rpm on the ZX5 consistently so it was a no brainer, and was significantly easier to hit with the way I was swinging.

In the end, I walked out with an order for the JPX 921 Forged with KBS C-Taper Lite shafts with standard MCC +4 Aligns in 4-GW and a 6-8 week wait.

Now let's see if I can get some sewing consistency in the meantime!

Had my fitting last night at the local golf shop that Dave74 suggested over GolfTec and am pretty happy with how things went! I was a bit fatigued from playing 18 on Monday and not being well conditioned this year (aka: I'm soft) and so while I wasn't swinging the best, I am happy with most of the results.

I hit the:
ZX5
P770
Apex 21
i210
MP20HMB
JPX921 Forged

Immediately the MP20HMB, Apex 21 and P770 fell away - the MP20HMB and Apex 21 due to me just not liking them/the results not being there, and the P770 due to distance, despite me loving it and finding it easy to get in the air and deal with.

So we shortlisted the ZX5, the i210 and the JPX921 Forged so we played with some shafts in each. Of the 3, I struggled with consistency with the ZX5, but when I got ahold of it, boy did it fly and feel good. The i210 was an average performer and was fine, but the JPX921 Forged ended up reigning supreme.
The ZX5 and the JPX921 Forged were the longest of all the clubs but the JPX had 1,000-1,500rpm on the ZX5 consistently so it was a no brainer, and was significantly easier to hit with the way I was swinging.

In the end, I walked out with an order for the JPX 921 Forged with KBS C-Taper Lite shafts with standard MCC +4 Aligns in 4-GW and a 6-8 week wait.

Now let's see if I can get some sewing consistency in the meantime!

Did your irons come in yet? My i210 came in today. I think the original order date was April 26, but I did add the 4&5 irons after around 4 weeks and they all came in the same time.

Did your irons come in yet? My i210 came in today. I think the original order date was April 26, but I did add the 4&5 irons after around 4 weeks and they all came in the same time.
No sir, not yet. I spoke with them last week and they said Mizuno was pretty good at keeping to their 6 week quote but now we are at 7 I believe.

No sir, not yet. I spoke with them last week and they said Mizuno was pretty good at keeping to their 6 week quote but now we are at 7 I believe.
Hopefully they come in soon. I know Mizuno was pretty good at their six week quote last year, but things have really changed since last spring. It seems like it all depends on what they have in stock for shafts and grips.

My i210 were closer to 10 weeks. I was really surprised when they called me on Saturday though as I was beginning to have a feeling they might not come in until August.

I did a "mock" build around 5 weeks ago on the Taylormade site (custom build) to see the availability of my shafts and it said around the start of August, I did already have 5 weeks in on the order for the i210 though so I figuired it should be sooner. Then a couple of weeks later I tried again and they didn't even list the Dynamic Gold S300 105 as an option, only the S300 120....So I was getting kind of worried they were on back order.

Hopefully they come in soon. I know Mizuno was pretty good at their six week quote last year, but things have really changed since last spring. It seems like it all depends on what they have in stock for shafts and grips.

My i210 were closer to 10 weeks. I was really surprised when they called me on Saturday though as I was beginning to have a feeling they might not come in until August.

I did a "mock" build around 5 weeks ago on the Taylormade site (custom build) to see the availability of my shafts and it said around the start of August, I did already have 5 weeks in on the order for the i210 though so I figuired it should be sooner. Then a couple of weeks later I tried again and they didn't even list the Dynamic Gold S300 105 as an option, only the S300 120....So I was getting kind of worried they were on back order.

There was a dandy set of P770s on Facebook marketplace the other day in town. They were only like $1,200 which would have made them extremely appealing if I hadn't ordered my clubs already.

I was out golfing in the mountains last week and would have appreciated the new irons for that, but I guess one last set of rounds with my old clubs before the new ones will let me more easily gauge any difference.

I also had a lesson last week so it will be interesting to see how things change when I bring the new sticks to the instructor.

There was a dandy set of P770s on Facebook marketplace the other day in town. They were only like $1,200 which would have made them extremely appealing if I hadn't ordered my clubs already.

I was out golfing in the mountains last week and would have appreciated the new irons for that, but I guess one last set of rounds with my old clubs before the new ones will let me more easily gauge any difference.

I also had a lesson last week so it will be interesting to see how things change when I bring the new sticks to the instructor.

I don't think you will regret having waited once your 921 forged are in. If you got the P770, you might have wondered about the bad shots and if the 921F would have performed better.

Just curious, did the P770 from Facebook have a suitable shaft for you? Also wondering when you said the issue for you with the P770 was distance during the fitting, were they shorter than the 921F?

I tell you it was tough waiting knowing that the i210 was a better fit for me than the MP20 MMC, especially on thin shots, also the i210 fly quite a bit higher for me so I should be able to hold greens better.

Hopefully they come in before your next round or lesson.

Go independent. Golf Tec is primarily a teaching business and will not have the knowledge or resources to do a fitting at the same level as other fitters. If you go to a franchise fitter, take the fitting info and then run somewhere else to actually purchase the equipment unless you like setting money on fire.
This is similar to my concern. I'm far more interested in the quality of the fitting than I am the price--especially on irons. Irons are primarily used for approach shots to the green. Minimum dispersion is a MUST. You want a great fitter and lots of combinations available to the fitter. IMO Golf Tec is not where you are going to find either.

I don't think you will regret having waited once your 921 forged are in. If you got the P770, you might have wondered about the bad shots and if the 921F would have performed better.

Just curious, did the P770 from Facebook have a suitable shaft for you? Also wondering when you said the issue for you with the P770 was distance during the fitting, were they shorter than the 921F?

I tell you it was tough waiting knowing that the i210 was a better fit for me than the MP20 MMC, especially on thin shots, also the i210 fly quite a bit higher for me so I should be able to hold greens better.

Hopefully they come in before your next round or lesson.

The P770 was 10y shorter than the 921F on average, but for some reason I felt they were easier to get in the air and possibly straighter (but I expect lessons to address that...).

It would have been conveniently awesome for these to have come in over the weekend so I could get on the range and practice and then book a new lesson. However, we are at the mercy of the world's supply chain!

Had a call from our friends at the fitter. Apparently Mizuno was back-ordered on their 5 iron heads so the whole set is being held up. Apparently the heads are due in late this week/early next so they will be built on a rush order once that happens. Expect another 2 weeks till they arrive in my hands for a total of 9 weeks.

Had a call from our friends at the fitter. Apparently Mizuno was back-ordered on their 5 iron heads so the whole set is being held up. Apparently the heads are due in late this week/early next so they will be built on a rush order once that happens. Expect another 2 weeks till they arrive in my hands for a total of 9 weeks.
If the P770 were 10 yards shorter that could also make a difference between choosing an 8 iron with the 921F and and having to club up to the 7 iron with the P770. Maybe the lofts are different between the P770 and the 921F to account for the difference? Also I belioeve the 921F are Hotmetal from 4 iron to 7 iron so that could help with distance.

Crap that sucks that the 5 iron heads are on back order. That seems the be the way things are going now a days though. I wish they would ship the rest of the set instead of waiting for just one club. My i210 were also around the 10 week time frame. I am hoping they come in sooner for you though.

I'm in the same boat with Mizuno. I ordered a custom set of MP-20 HMB with a 5-week lead, yesterday was 10 weeks! Each update I get is that the shafts are back-ordered. (KBS C Taper X). Looking like August now.

I'm in the same boat with Mizuno. I ordered a custom set of MP-20 HMB with a 5-week lead, yesterday was 10 weeks! Each update I get is that the shafts are back-ordered. (KBS C Taper X). Looking like August now.
At the time of my order they said that Mizuno was doing well with the 5-6 week time frame, so I wonder if there was just a glut of orders that came in that skewed everything or if the global supply chain took another hit.
I do feel bad for these shops that are at the mercy of the suppliers and have to put up with antsy buyers. I think about calling and asking for updates regularly but refrain for their sanity.

At the time of my order they said that Mizuno was doing well with the 5-6 week time frame, so I wonder if there was just a glut of orders that came in that skewed everything or if the global supply chain took another hit.
I do feel bad for these shops that are at the mercy of the suppliers and have to put up with antsy buyers. I think about calling and asking for updates regularly but refrain for their sanity.
Yeah same here. I ordered direct through Mizuno and just email for updates when I hit my previous estimated ship date. I ordered on 5/9.. At least we have something to look forward to. :)

Back