Could DJ now be considered a choker?

i'm sure they're looking for tw/phil kind of money. i mean, the guy is seriously legit and a threat to win multiple majors. the question is: what company can offer him that kind of money? he very well could be a nike guy. or maybe mizuno as a dark horse, he is a serious golfer afterall.

I'm thinking Callaway. He's close with Phil, Phil likes him. Phil is a little older so DJ could be a younger long term fixture. Their recent ads were all about 'long, speed, own the air' stuff so he'd fit that mold well.

That is if TM doesn't wisen up and re-up with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That brings up another question. Doesn't TM already have DJ? You know the younger guy that has all the potential, hits it a long way, yet for some reason has not won "it" yet? His name is Camilo. THey just signed him. Before that, they had DJ as well. His name was Sergio.

I see the trend here, but it does not appear to be in TM's past record for shelling out HUGE money. Multiply sales by sheer volume seems more like it in my opinion. Have the driver count rather than the winner. Again, I am sure they want the winner as well, but quantity over quality seems to be the past record. Same with Titleist with the ball, putter, and wedge count.

That brings up another question. Doesn't TM already have DJ? You know the younger guy that has all the potential, hits it a long way, yet for some reason has not won "it" yet? His name is Camilo. THey just signed him. Before that, they had DJ as well. His name was Sergio.

I see the trend here, but it does not appear to be in TM's past record for shelling out HUGE money. Multiply sales by sheer volume seems more like it in my opinion. Have the driver count rather than the winner. Again, I am sure they want the winner as well, but quantity over quality seems to be the past record. Same with Titleist with the ball, putter, and wedge count.

interesting perspective!! and it's also a pretty solid one. so let's just say that TM doesn't pony up, where does the coastal carolinian end up?

interesting perspective!! and it's also a pretty solid one. so let's just say that TM doesn't pony up, where does the coastal carolinian end up?

Jail? :alien:

I think Nike or Callaway... no facts to back this hypothesis up they just seem to be an ideal fit.

Im thinking Nike. Play the 'What If' game and what if tiger never makes it back to the same tiger. Who do they have in their stable? Paul Casey? Scary Molinari? AK? Stewart Cink? Glover? Immelman?

Ill give AK the #1 spot, and PC #2, but they need more bigger names. And DJ can add to the Casey and the AK and he Tiger Trio.

Im thinking Nike. Play the 'What If' game and what if tiger never makes it back to the same tiger. Who do they have in their stable? Paul Casey? Scary Molinari? AK? Stewart Cink? Glover? Immelman?

Ill give AK the #1 spot, and PC #2, but they need more bigger names. And DJ can add to the Casey and the AK and he Tiger Trio.

Ironically you listed 3 golfers with majors in the last few years and went with the 2 with no majors. :act-up:

I know. I thought about that, but I just really see those majors as just another tournament win for those guys, after it, they havent done anything spectacular. SC I think is on the way out, even though I love the guy.

PC and AK just seem to always be there(when healthy)
Ironically you listed 3 golfers with majors in the last few years and went with the 2 with no majors. :act-up:

I know. I thought about that, but I just really see those majors as just another tournament win for those guys, after it, they havent done anything spectacular. SC I think is on the way out, even though I love the guy.

You really think SC is on his way out. Finished the season incredibly well. Played better golf than most of the US in the Ryder Cup. And has the major. Where as Paul Casey and AK have been injured A LOT and continue to be the guys that are the young guns ready to take over (yet still never have). At the end of the day, you get based by winning and winning the big ones. And I would hardly call anything AK or PC have done lately spectacular.

But back to the topic at hand. I think Nike would be a good fit except for one glaring issue. They have certain policies in place, that may make it difficult for him to be signed and an employee (allegedly).

lmao, I like it

You really think SC is on his way out. Finished the season incredibly well. Played better golf than most of the US in the Ryder Cup. And has the major. Where as Paul Casey and AK have been injured A LOT and continue to be the guys that are the young guns ready to take over (yet still never have). At the end of the day, you get based by winning and winning the big ones. And I would hardly call anything AK or PC have done lately spectacular.

But back to the topic at hand. I think Nike would be a good fit except for one glaring issue. They have certain policies in place, that may make it difficult for him to be signed and an employee (allegedly).

I can't see another 'big name' being signed by Nike while Tiger is still around

completley disagree. then The Masters is just like the Children's Miracle Network Tournament? The Kentucky Derby is just another horse race?

Certain policies as in wearing nike clothes, shoes, and all?

Like I said when healthy, I would take them over the other guys. And your right, SC did finish mighty strong.

I just think those other guys (SC not included), were one-trick ponies.

Certain policies as in wearing nike clothes, shoes, and all?

Like I said when healthy, I would take them over the other guys. And your right, SC did finish mighty strong.

I just think those other guys (SC not included), were one-trick ponies.

No, not those policies.

I can't see another 'big name' being signed by Nike while Tiger is still around

completley disagree. then The Masters is just like the Children's Miracle Network Tournament? The Kentucky Derby is just another horse race?

I agree Hanks. Winning a major means commercial success. Regardless of what else happens. Highest ratings, things get seen.

I kind of see what Thainer is saying, if I am reading it correctly. If he wins 1 Major does it still mean he is a choker? There is a legendary golfer out there who has 2 majors and may be considered the biggest choker of all time

My favorite golfer of all time
Spoiler
Greg Norman

great point ddec! imo, i don't see DJ winning a major, i think he'll crumble.

I think that wins are going to be more important to TM because they are really trying to give Scotty Cameron a run for putter supremacy. With golf balls and drivers, the tour count is key, but for putters it is all about the wins. You see Kia Ma putters all over the place on tour and I am sure they are wanting to get some major wins like the method did the year before last. A few wins and a little marketing and Kia Ma is the new Scotty Cameron (no offense Kia). Ironically, I think that DJ uses a Scotty. Correct me if I am wrong.

he does use a SC setho!

I think that wins are going to be more important to TM because they are really trying to give Scotty Cameron a run for putter supremacy. With golf balls and drivers, the tour count is key, but for putters it is all about the wins. You see Kia Ma putters all over the place on tour and I am sure they are wanting to get some major wins like the method did the year before last. A few wins and a little marketing and Kia Ma is the new Scotty Cameron (no offense Kia). Ironically, I think that DJ uses a Scotty. Correct me if I am wrong.

believe you are correct sir

He does and lets not forget that SC does not own the win count on the tour right now. They are tied with Odyssey. I really dont think that TM is going after the putter count with Kia Ma. If I was a betting man, and Im not, but if I was, I would say the KM line would be gone next year. As will the Rossa line. In its place will just be TM putters.

He does and lets not forget that SC does not own the win count on the tour right now. They are tied with Odyssey. I really dont think that TM is going after the putter count with Kia Ma. If I was a betting man, and Im not, but if I was, I would say the KM line would be gone next year. As will the Rossa line. In its place will just be TM putters.

*unless I'm on the course with TC

I trust your intuition JB. Oh well, all that post to not really say anything.

i think that TM will throw everything they have to keep DJ and that Nike will throw their big weight around to sign him. personally i think he would be better off stayin with TM because there he has a chance to be the big dog, singular, where as at Nike everyone plays second fiddle to tiger

I think it goes beyond putters Seth. TM is on a 'distance is king' movement with it's drivers and now irons. I think the recognition from winning is going to have a greater effect on the irons and drivers of TM vs. their putters. DJ is one of the longest hitters on Tour and the talk about him is usually 'did you see/hear how far he hit that 3 iron' or 'did you see/hear about his 400yd drive?' I think TM would want people to associate him with those clubs more so than any of their putter lines.

I think the real questions are how much $$$$ does he want and where does he want to go? It may be early in the negotiating process but I would think that any good agent would have at least an Option B to fall back on if this doesn't pan out

Back