Could or would you armlock?

What exactly is the purpose behind armlock? Will it eliminate my right hand, like a claw grip would? That could convince me maybe

really takes the wrists out of it. Pretty much just run that shaft up to your elbow and rock the shoulders.

really takes the wrists out of it. Pretty much just run that shaft up to your elbow and rock the shoulders.
I mean, let’s be real, it’s anchoring the putter to eliminate the hands/wrists. :LOL:

I mean, let’s be real, it’s anchoring the putter to eliminate the hands/wrists. :LOL:

that's exactly how I view it.

I'd definitely like to give it a try.

What exactly is the purpose behind armlock? Will it eliminate my right hand, like a claw grip would? That could convince me maybe

In my experience, yes. The stroke is very consistent. Fewer variables that can make a stroke go astray. And you can even still use claw with an armlock if desired. The biggest challenges are that it can feel awkward, esp. at first, and finding the style that works and putter fit is not so simple. It is a big change that takes commitment.

I've tried two putters converted to arm lock one a slant neck blade, and another mallet that has slight toe hang. Total trial was about 5 weeks, 8 rounds of golf.

Less than 10 feet - I either made everything or made about the same % as w/ a traditional putter. The Slant neck blade was the best, it was also the most upright putter so I was able to get over the ball more at address. THe mallet was a converted one and it's now back to traditional length, because the lie angle wasn't manipulated my eyes were way inside the ball.

longer than 10 feet - there's a significant amount of practice you'll need to be a good lag putter w/ arm lock.

It was difficult to see the line with the shaft forward pressed (slanted) from your eye view. I realized that i need to look straight down the shaft at address in order to be a good putter and couldn't do that with arm lock. This is primarily why I still have the blade arm lock putter and intend to keep tinkering on it.

arm lock also showed me how wristy i am on longer putts, and as a result, i am now a better putter using a traditional putter. Arm lock done properly absolutely shuts down the wrists. you know when you've flipped your wrists through the ball on a long putt because arm lock exposes that.

It was definitely something I needed to have kept practicing, but i switched back to traditional and have been having decent putting days since then.

Another key point - Definitely get fit for one if you want one. WIth the blade putter, i have the tools to manipulate lie angle, etc but with length i've had to make a couple adjustments. I intend on cutting my blade (now at 39.5" and I want 38.75) and I feel it would be perfect, but i'll have to re-check lie angle and loft. If you're going to DIY it, be prepared to tinker and those grips are not saveable in most cases because they're so long.

I am currently giving it a long-term try using the BioMech Acculock A.C.E

I'm hitting a ton of good putts, but my green reading has been awful..

Haven't tried it, don't currently feel the need, but if I struggled with the flat stick I would check it out as long as it was still legal.

I'd sure like to give one a try, but seems all putters are expensive to try out and sell for a huge loss

I bought one in December to practice with until golf season started up here. I'm about 15 rounds in so far and have never putted better in my life. What has always been a weakness is now one of my strengths. I really hope it doesn't get banned - there's no fulcrum, so no actual anchoring.

I probably could. I "discovered" this technique when I use my 8i to chip/putt from the fringe, so I have a sense of it. I worry about distance on long lags, since I haven't tried that. Additionally, it puts my eyes in a very different position than I am in for normal putts. I'm not sure it would help or hurt my putting. but I have thought about giving it a try.

I've never seen an armlock in the wild.

I'm going on my third season using arm lock. I don't see me going back. When a guy, Dave Stockton, wonders why more guys on tour aren't doing it, I listen. Took some time to adapt but doesn't any swing change take that? Short putting and long putting in my case have improved. As a side observation: I played a pitch and putt near work last year and used a regular putter. I thought that my putting with a non arm lock improved too. Arm lock forces you to use your shoulders which kept arms and hands quiet using a shorty.

Yep, I need to go arm lock!

So yesterday I took a long look at how I was holding the putter.
I am not doing armlock Per Se but I am locking it to my wrist so I have no wrist break during my stroke.

Soooooo.....just contacted the fitter who I did my putter fitting with last Friday as he noticed I tend to reroute the putter in my backswing. This is something @Canadan pointed out to me last month as well and now it's all I think about but I can't seem to help doing it. That being said I asked the fitter if armlock would be an option. He just told me it would take some getting used to BUT should eliminate that problem :oops: This could get interesting.

Soooooo.....just contacted the fitter who I did my putter fitting with last Friday as he noticed I tend to reroute the putter in my backswing. This is something @Canadan pointed out to me last month as well and now it's all I think about but I can't seem to help doing it. That being said I asked the fitter if armlock would be an option. He just told me it would take some getting used to BUT should eliminate that problem :oops: This could get interesting.
tell him you'd like to see it in action on the putt lab. See if he can give you the rest of your hour.

I am not sure how a belly or long putter has been made illegal but armlock is still legal. They are all anchoring the club against something besides the hands.

I think this is a cool conversation point here, because as we well know, fit is huuuuuuuuge!
My armlock had a double bend shaft and I did some serious bending of that to get it where I wanted it. Fit here is extremely important.

I'm traveling today and had a few minutes today so I stopped in to a Golf Galaxy and they happened to have a Bettinardi arm lock putter so I had to give it a whirl.

It's definitely strange. I think my biggest problem was just not knowing how to grip it. I had that Rickie Bobbie interview feeling of not knowing what to do with my hands. I can see why people like it so much for short putts though. A simple rock of the shoulders and the ball is in its way and easy to keep on line.

Distance control would definitely take some time. The first couple of longer putts ended surprisingly close to the hole. After that though things started getting sketchy. Considering this was on straight, fast rolling putting green carpet I would imagine getting used to it on the course would take a lot of work. Overall though if it works out the time would be well spent.

#LetsGo!!!!

I have been trying to be a little more loose and not at tense and rigid with the swing. I think an arm lock would promote more of a rigid set up. I could be totally wrong though, as never trying it.

I have been trying to be a little more loose and not at tense and rigid with the swing. I think an arm lock would promote more of a rigid set up. I could be totally wrong though, as never trying it.
BUT it also eliminates wrists which is the problem I currently have and promotes using shoulders. I'm going to go roll a few for sure. I'm not 100% that I can make the switch but I'm definitely curious and wanting to see how awkward it is if at all. I've tried left hand low and claw grip and I just can't get comfortable with either. This could be the same way we shall see.

One thing I'm curious about, lets say you order an armlock putter. If you decide you don't like it can you just cut it down and regrip or would other changes have to be made?

BUT it also eliminates wrists which is the problem I currently have and promotes using shoulders. I'm going to go roll a few for sure. I'm not 100% that I can make the switch but I'm definitely curious and wanting to see how awkward it is if at all. I've tried left hand low and claw grip and I just can't get comfortable with either. This could be the same way we shall see.

One thing I'm curious about, lets say you order an armlock putter. If you decide you don't like it can you just cut it down and regrip or would other changes have to be made?

other changes need to be made....

so let's take the Cobra models for example. There is more offset to the putters and the SIK insert goes 7-6-5-4 on the descending loft insert as opposed to 4-3-2-1. The heads are also heavier, but you might be able to make that work with the adjustable weights.

I cannot say I haven't thought about it.. Especially after those days where nothing drops.

That being said, I don't think I will do it just due to the cost of such an unknown.

I could not armlock no sir, no ma'am, i WOULD not armlock Sam I Am
I will not armlock in the house, i will not armlock with a mouse
I will not armlock here or there, i will not armlock anywhere...

Tried it.... Just isn't for me.... right now.

Back