Could or would you armlock?

I am not sure how a belly or long putter has been made illegal but armlock is still legal. They are all anchoring the club against something besides the hands.
The way most people use an armlock putter, there is no anchoring. If your wrists break down, and flip at all, the grip will come away from the lead forearm. Sure you try to keep the end of the grip against the forearm, but there isn't anything actually holding it against your forearm, hence no anchoring.

But, if you're keeping the grip against your forearm by holding both the putter grip and your forearm with the other hand, then it is definitely anchored.

The way most people use an armlock putter, there is no anchoring. If your wrists break down, and flip at all, the grip will come away from the lead forearm. Sure you try to keep the end of the grip against the forearm, but there isn't anything actually holding it against your forearm, hence no anchoring.

But, if you're keeping the grip against your forearm by holding both the putter grip and your forearm with the other hand, then it is definitely anchored.

You can still flip a putter with your hands using a belly putter. In the armlock the putter is anchored against your lead forearm. It provides much more stability than just holding the putter in your hands and seems to me to be against the same spirit as belly putters and long putters.

Personally I think the anchoring rule is wrong but I believe that if belly and long putters are subject to the rule the arm lock is in a similar spirit even if it looks more conventional.

BUT it also eliminates wrists which is the problem I currently have and promotes using shoulders. I'm going to go roll a few for sure. I'm not 100% that I can make the switch but I'm definitely curious and wanting to see how awkward it is if at all. I've tried left hand low and claw grip and I just can't get comfortable with either. This could be the same way we shall see.

One thing I'm curious about, lets say you order an armlock putter. If you decide you don't like it can you just cut it down and regrip or would other changes have to be made?
What if you really like it but then they decide to ban it?

Why get attached to it, the powers to be will ban it as soon as a couple majors are won with it.

Man, I'm pondering arm lock so hard right now. I didn't putt too bad the last couple of rounds but I can't help but wonder what this would do for me. I missed one 3 footer out of three that i had tonight and it instantly made me wonder if I could have gone 3-3 with arm lock.

Well, I guess next week we're going to find out how this works. It should be here Wednesday.

AF6A1FB8-782E-4A3A-BF43-A77CCCCB9361.jpeg

I wouldn't. It's just another niche/gimmick.

Tour players who use that style aren't setting the world in fire, either.

No thanks .. happy to dance with the putter l have , even if gets out of step with me, lol
Agree with previous posters comment ,,
Visually it’s not a good look may not be anchoring , but it’s using another portion of the body to execute a strike that the hands should be (that is use of forearm) ...

You can’t, or by rules build a stance to play a stroke

Why should be allowed to use 3 point contact to play a putting stroke ?

Just putting it out there ......lmao ⛳

Piece number one has been delivered for the great arm lock experiment of 2021. I thought the flat side of this Jumbomax grip might provide the best surface area for my scrawny little chicken forearm.

721BA14D-5EFE-48E2-BBD2-8153360FB4DB.jpeg

I have shaky hands from a condition called “essential tremors.” It comes and goes, but has been more of a challenge this year, so I decided to give armlock a go. I tried one of the new Cobra Grandsport Armlock putters at the store and was making a lot of putts, so I purchased it. I am taking it out tomorrow for the first time on a course that has notoriously difficult greens. It will be fun to see what happens.

Piece number one has been delivered for the great arm lock experiment of 2021. I thought the flat side of this Jumbomax grip might provide the best surface area for my scrawny little chicken forearm.

View attachment 9011871
I have that same grip on mine and it's awesome.
I have shaky hands from a condition called “essential tremors.” It comes and goes, but has been more of a challenge this year, so I decided to give armlock a go. I tried one of the new Cobra Grandsport Armlock putters at the store and was making a lot of putts, so I purchased it. I am taking it out tomorrow for the first time on a course that has notoriously difficult greens. It will be fun to see what happens.
So do I. I'm two months in to Armlock and I've never putted half as good as I am now. The difference is insane.

Adjusting to the armlock was a breeze. Today was my best putting day in years. 3 birdies, and not one of them was a gimme. Not a single 3 putt. Several two putts across what are some of the most treacherous greens that we have in our area. This may be a transformative club for me. I am super excited.

Well my Odyssey arm lock is lost in USPS hell. I was really hoping to get some work in with it before the Pro Am I'm playing this week but now I don't even know if I'll have it period. It's frustrating but I'm still super excited to see what the results are.

Adjusting to the armlock was a breeze. Today was my best putting day in years. 3 birdies, and not one of them was a gimme. Not a single 3 putt. Several two putts across what are some of the most treacherous greens that we have in our area. This may be a transformative club for me. I am super excited.

Did you get fitted for the armlock putter or found something that fit off the rack? I haven’t been able to get comfortable with an armlock putter.

Did you get fitted for the armlock putter or found something that fit off the rack? I haven’t been able to get comfortable with an armlock putter.
I was looking around in my local PGA Superstore and started messing around with the new Cobra putters. There was a Grandsport-35 armlock and I was hitting my lines extremely well with it. I set it down for a bit and came back to try it again, but somebody else had it. My heart sank a little bit, but I lurked. He finally put it back. I grabbed it, rolled some more putts and was still liking what I was experiencing, so I purchased it. So, the short answer is that I found something off the rack.

I rolled it on my practice mat in my home and was still liking what I saw. On Friday, I spent 30 minutes with it on a practice green during lunch. Yesterday, it was in the bag. It just seemed to work right from the get go.

My biggest thing with it was adjusting to the look of a putter with 7 degrees of loft, which many of the armlocks have, due to the extreme forward lean necessary to lock it into the lead arm. You have to make sure that you get both the putter and your stance aligned correctly. Then, it is just a matter of moving the shoulders back and forth.

I was looking around in my local PGA Superstore and started messing around with the new Cobra putters. There was a Grandsport-35 armlock and I was hitting my lines extremely well with it. I set it down for a bit and came back to try it again, but somebody else had it. My heart sank a little bit, but I lurked. He finally put it back. I grabbed it, rolled some more putts and was still liking what I was experiencing, so I purchased it. So, the short answer is that I found something off the rack.

I rolled it on my practice mat in my home and was still liking what I saw. On Friday, I spent 30 minutes with it on a practice green during lunch. Yesterday, it was in the bag. It just seemed to work right from the get go.

My biggest thing with it was adjusting to the look of a putter with 7 degrees of loft, which many of the armlocks have, due to the extreme forward lean necessary to lock it into the lead arm. You have to make sure that you get both the putter and your stance aligned correctly. Then, it is just a matter of moving the shoulders back and forth.
This is awesome glad you are liking it. I really thought about it but chickened out. Kind of kicking myself for it but I couldn’t have a putter in my bag longer than my irons for my OCD haha

Not sure I think any sort of anchoring or locking should be legal but I briefly tried it. With my bent over putting stance (see my SeeMore Putter thread) and a longer 35" putter it almost looked like I was armlocking like Bryson. I gave it a try and although the club head control was pretty darn good, I wasn't swinging it in my usual pendulum motion as easily. Big fat No for me.

This is awesome glad you are liking it. I really thought about it but chickened out. Kind of kicking myself for it but I couldn’t have a putter in my bag longer than my irons for my OCD haha
Initially, my pride wouldn’t let me do it, either. However, I often say I would play the ugliest looking club in a store, if it would help me score better. This falls into that category.

Saturday, I booked a time as a single and played with a father and two 20 something sons. They all were decent players. I told them that this was the first time out with the putter. By the end of the round, the father was saying that he might buy one and also said something to the effect that it looked like I had made the best purchase of golf equipment for myself in a long time. It was not a great ball striking round. I had no club speed, because my hips would not loosen up. I hit 11 greens, but nothing closer than about 15 feet and a few were 40 or 50 feet from the hole. I was even through 15 and one over at 17. I hit a horrible second shot on 17 and double bogied. Then I hit a bad approach shot on 18, short siding myself. I tried to get cute and left the flop in a bunker, but got up and down with another 6 foot putt to shoot 4 over. It was a round that was all about putting.

As I said, if this is not a honeymoon thing, it will be transformative to my game.

Not sure I think any sort of anchoring or locking should be legal but I briefly tried it. With my bent over putting stance (see my SeeMore Putter thread) and a longer 35" putter it almost looked like I was armlocking like Bryson. I gave it a try and although the club head control was pretty darn good, I wasn't swinging it in my usual pendulum motion as easily. Big fat No for me.
I had tried it before in the manner you had mentioned and it didn’t work for me, either. I think it is key to try a true armlock-style putter with the greater loft. This allows you to really lock it into that lead arm and still get proper launch with the ball strike. But, we certainly are all different in what works and what doesn’t, which is part of the fun of the game.

I did not realize this. I've tested one in store and could not exactly figure out what to do with it as the lean looked all wrong (too much) to me.

I absolutely could if it helped me make more putts.

I have some issue with my trail / right hand flinching at impact. If I try and putt with only my right hand I will miss a 4ft putt by 2ft left of the hole. I've found a grip that mutes my trail hand from the stroke and it has helped me greatly. has made me think about both the armlock and the chest style BUT

I'm a walker and I can't deal with long and heavy putters.

I have some issue with my trail / right hand flinching at impact. If I try and putt with only my right hand I will miss a 4ft putt by 2ft left of the hole. I've found a grip that mutes my trail hand from the stroke and it has helped me greatly. has made me think about both the armlock and the chest style BUT

I'm a walker and I can't deal with long and heavy putters.
Just buy yourself a motorized caddy and you will be good to go. 😂. I certainly get that they are not for everybody. It was not something I was planning to do, but if my initial experience was not random, I won’t go back and will have a bunch of nice putters for sale soon.

I have a 44" Taylor Made Ghost Manta that I am thinking of bending and cutting and would like to try armlock.
I call myself "Cement hands" and often wonder who is worse? Shaquille O'Neal on the free throw line or myself putting.

Had 46 putts yesterday.

2 5 putts
1 4 putts
5 3 putts
7 2 putts
3 1 putt

I am 5'6" and can someone suggest length and how much to bend?

I have a 44" Taylor Made Ghost Manta that I am thinking of bending and cutting and would like to try armlock.
I call myself "Cement hands" and often wonder who is worse? Shaquille O'Neal on the free throw line or myself putting.

Had 46 putts yesterday.

2 5 putts
1 4 putts
5 3 putts
7 2 putts
3 1 putt

I am 5'6" and can someone suggest length and how much to bend?
Most say standard is 40” or 41”. I am 5’8”. Mine is 41” and it would be better for me if it were an inch or inch and a half shorter, if that helps.

Back