Oh my, I would love to be a captain for the MC, what an absolute honor that would be! I believe I have the temperament, my reviews have been complete and fare and I'd have no problem stepping up with my activity.

It's fun to think of what to say as your team is preparing to tee off for the Morgan Cup. Clips of sports movies run through my head. Then I remember, before the 2020 event started Jose mentioned to one of the participants, to just be yourself. What a simple, yet impactful statement. The entire team is fulfilling a life long dream, so it could get overwhelming and nervy heading to that first tee. But in the end, you will succeed if you are yourself in this amazing Experience! Be honest, open, and the entire MC, from being selected, to the weekend of being a Tour Player, to continuing the conversation a year later, will all fall into place for the benefit of everyone.

Man, I’m at the point where yeah, I’d absolutely love the challenge of captaining something again.

The pressure and fun is unparalleled, there’s really not anything like it.

Lots of great comments. Without a doubt, whoever is chosen, the other participants will have a great captain!

Is there the potential for a captain who basically squeals like an excited teenager the whole time cos they're doing something incredible thanks to THP and Cobra?

I've seen the amount of work that goes into being a good captain of a team in one of these events. We've had so many good examples and I hope people realize the effort these guys have put in to helping ensure everyone has a fun time and remembers rule #1. There is often a lot of effort put in to getting ready for an event like this by the participants and the work these captains have put in is tenfold or more. They have the job of taking a bunch of guys with different backgrounds and personalities and have them come together and rally around a sport they love and become a team. They have to get them fired up before, during, and after the event to engage on here and bring the forum along. They have to ensure this group is willing to write honest reviews of the gear they are fortunate to receive and payback this experience with gratitude. During the event they have to keep the guys from getting overly competitive and remember that though there is a competition this event is so much more than that. The captains who have done it right still have close relationships with the teams they have led. I still regularly communicate with my captain and team and want to do a reunion trip with them at some point.

As for your question JB, I do believe I understand what it means to be a captain and if I'm ever tapped to lead a team I will give everything I have to bring the group together and make the event a success. I would make sure I had the time available to commit to doing the job to the best of my ability and if that was not the case I would be honest and humbly decline so that the team would have a captain who would do the job right. I believe anyone who is chosen would be wise to start by reaching out to past captains to learn from them and understand what you need to be prepared for. Keep that line of communication open throughout the event and afterwards in case something comes up that you aren't prepared for so that you have others to assist you.

I want to add something to this thread. We see a lot “rep the brand” or other things like that. I can say once and again that is not something we are looking for. Just looking for meaningful engagement and equipment discussions. Repping the brand is drive by posting of simple reviews with a notion of positivity. That is not what this is about. If you want to rep a brand, do it for the THP Brand through conversation.
Qualities of being a good human being, having fun, leading a team, engaging in reviews and discussion.

Based on the criteria mentioned, yes I could and would be very comfortable doing so before and after the event. I would struggle during the actual event though. I'm much more of an introvert, lead by example guy then a rah rah everyone follow me guy and I think you need your captain to be more of the latter. I'm more of a GM than a coach. If chosen I would relish the opportunity and certainly use it as a chance to grow and expand my comfort zone, but I've never been a center of attention guy and likely never will. This event deserves special and I think the recent captains have captured that and brought it to the rest of us. No doubt this year's 2nd captain will do that as well.

Man, I’m at the point where yeah, I’d absolutely love the challenge of captaining something again.

Killing the equipment portion and the not jerk portion. You would be a great captain.

There's plenty of folks here who I think would be great at this (many of who have already posted in this thread). This is a role I'd love to take on, and I think I'd do a good job.

Equipment is a big part of the hobby for me - I'm a scientist/engineer, so that aspect of the game has always intrigued me. Things have been insane for the last few months (the joys of working in infectious disease these days!), and I've not had the chance to talk equipment as much as I'd like - but I'd ideally like to change that now that things are calming down. This event is one that is near and dear to my heart, and I've been glad to see it be such a major part of the calendar every year - being a good steward of the event would be important to me. And I'd like to think I'm not a jerk, but I'll leave that to the rest of the folks here on THP to weigh in on :ROFLMAO:.

:ROFLMAO::LOL::D

The search began yesterday for the next captain of the Morgan Cup. Want to be a Tour Player?

What is it?
Full Bag of Equipment of Your Choice
Apparel Scripting just like the Tour Pros
Accessories and Footwear that are Awesome
Playing Team Golf with R&D and Marketing from Cobra Golf.

Do you think you would make a good captain? Let us know. Here is the criteria we are looking for.

1. Be a 2021 Albatross Club Member
2. Be active on the THP Forum
3. Talk about equipment
4. Don’t be a jerk

What say you fellow THPers. Do you think you are ready for this type of challenge?

22-1024x692.jpg

Continue reading...
The whole "Don't be a jerk" thing..... Is that set in stone??

I disagree, Derek. You're a hell of a guy, and an excellent planner. You're smart and creative. What more could one want in a captain? I'd play on your team any day.
Wow, I really appreciate the kind words Peter. It means a lot coming from you! We do have a really good time when we get out and play. I guess that’s what it’s all about.
I have always thought of the Captain as someone with over the top skill like “The Great One” Wayne.

I’m sorry for the very long winded answer, but I just started typing and just let it flow!

I heard a long time ago about the 3 C’s of being a captain, if you’re going to lead a team, you need to be COURAGEOUS, CARING, and CONSISTENT.

But what does all that really mean, if you have been selected as a captain of anything it is quite an honor. To be selected to be a captain of a team of THPers, it’s a once in a lifetime honor and should not be taken lightly. With this great honor, comes great responsibility. If Spiderman taught us anything, “With great power, comes great responsibility” If I think of any team on THP I’ve ever ben lucky enough to be a part of, the captain was always there to build you up, make you laugh, calm you down, fire you up or even just enjoy a cold beverage of choice with while enjoying the success of the team win, or enjoying the success of the other team winning. That is the huge difference in a THP event vs other sporting events we all may have been a part of growing up. Win or Lose you’re going to have an amazing time with a THP event!

So how do the captain traits I remember apply to being a THP captain:

COURAGEOUS
You must be courageous enough to put yourself out there and maybe do or try things you haven’t previously, maybe that’s a piece of equipment you never thought about trying before, writing a deeper more in depth review, trying a different way to review or maybe even diving in to a social media channel you hadn’t used previously. Or maybe is the courage to have a good time no matter if you’re winning or losing!

CARING
Care for everyone no matter what. Every single THPer is coming from a different family, personal and professional situation before they show up to that THP event. Can you learn about each of your team individually and constantly care for their physical, mental, digital and golf well being.

CONSISTENT
Last but certainly not least being consistent in everything, in the effort to post, to review, to compete. In regular check ins and on going communication with the entire team and forum. And last but certainly not least to consistently be grateful for the amazing opportunity we all might have.

HOW AWESOME!!! THP is truly that, an awesome, special, unique place!

Kyle,
Your post gave me new understanding of what it means to be a THP Captain. I have been to 2 different THP experiences and neither were team events so I do not have first hand experiences with a THP Captain. As I stated in my previous post, I thought first and most important a Captain should have over the top skill, thats the way it was on the team when I grew up. Great insights! Thanks a lot.

Could I be a captain....absolutely. The bigger question is "Can" I be a captain. Being a captain for a THP experience is more than the time spent at the event. It's about everything that leads up to the event and takes place once the event is done. You have to be part motivational speaker, part amateur phycologist and in many ways lead by example. Especially when it comes to the Morgan Cup and all that it means, you can never half ass anything and expect great results; the MC is no different. It take a special kind of person who can manage all that is thrown at you and not skip a beat.

So while I could be a captain, I think I "Can" be a captain because I know what it means to not only the participants, the OEM sponsors and @JB but I also know how much it means to the community as a whole who will be following along.

It's crazy to read through this thread and realize how many good options there are for a Captain's spot. I don't envy anyone making this decision.

@JB I'm in to be a captain.

Last time I led a group of men into battle on the sports field was years ago when I coached a youth boys soccer team to a championship-and I know a hell of a lot more about golf and golf equipment. Look forward to getting those competitive juices flowing again in a team atmosphere.

What else do you need?

Do you release a cut day list? Like tomorrow we'll learn who's in the top 50? That would be pretty cool.

I'd play for you

Reactions: MH
Would love to be considered. I think I could do it. I think I meet the criteria. I will leave it to the powers that be to judge my fit.

Sorry for the delay in my response to this thread. I have been super busy with work the last few days and I wanted to make sure I gave some thoughtfulness in my response rather than just tossing my name in.

First, I have always wanted to Captain a THP Experience and I certainly meet the criteria laid out by JB in the OP.

Being a Captain or leader to me is understanding that whatever is happening (THP Experience in this case or real life) that it’s not about you, it’s the bigger picture and everyone else. I feel that is a big part of this. It’s your job help ensure/create a climate and culture within the team to ensure the experience is the best it can be for everyone and that it returns for years to come so that other THPers can experience the same joy. Represent yourself in a way that embodies what THP stands for…what the Morgan Cup stands for…the history…Jake aka P4B.

Who is everyone? There are a lot of stakeholders here. The forum, the OEM and participants. As @OITW said, hold yourself accountable and your team accountable to bringing the forum along for the ride with your lead up to the experience and your live posting during, reviewing the equipment/apparel/swag pre and post experience and help ensure that everyone has a great time! Also, making sure the event has a future as I mentioned above. Build that relationship with everyone…the more you give, the more you will get and I am not talking about equipment or swag here.

In regards to equipment…in my opinion, your activity around those discussions and being able to participate actively over a long period of time (pre and post event) is very helpful to them and the forum/community here. We are the everyday golfer and everyday golfers buy gear and apparel. As Captain, you need to lead by example and create that environment in which engagement and discussions of the gear and apparel given to us is the norm. People come here to look for why they should buy something and our feedback and participation to that is critical. That’s a big part why the OEMs sponsor these experiences.

I personally know the effort behind the scenes that JB and Morgan put into these experiences. Not only for us, but for the OEMs. He wants it perfect in every way and it’s our job as participants or the Captain to embrace it and give that same effort back in return. That’s not asking much IMO.

Personally, for me, this event holds a special place in my heart. The friendships formed not only with my teammates, but with the OEMs and Team Paradise are something I find hard to describe. There is a special bond that is formed leading up to the experience and then another when everyone is there. I can tell you that if I am leaving my family for half the week, this is the kind of experience I would do it for.

I’d be honored to lead a group of THPers in their Morgan Cup journey. Having participated in a Morgan Cup now certainly gives me perspective and a greater understanding of what the Captaincy means. @OITW did a great job last year and @Canadan before that for Team Hackers and I’d be honored to follow in their footsteps.

@Tadashi70, you out there man!!! Miss your contributions and just enjoying your company.

Some truly impressive "resumes" laid out here.

Live look at @JB trying to figure out who to pick

Sorry for the delay in my response to this thread. I have been super busy with work the last few days and I wanted to make sure I gave some thoughtfulness in my response rather than just tossing my name in.

First, I have always wanted to Captain a THP Experience and I certainly meet the criteria laid out by JB in the OP.

Being a Captain or leader to me is understanding that whatever is happening (THP Experience in this case or real life) that it’s not about you, it’s the bigger picture and everyone else. I feel that is a big part of this. It’s your job help ensure/create a climate and culture within the team to ensure the experience is the best it can be for everyone and that it returns for years to come so that other THPers can experience the same joy. Represent yourself in a way that embodies what THP stands for…what the Morgan Cup stands for…the history…Jake aka P4B.

Who is everyone? There are a lot of stakeholders here. The forum, the OEM and participants. As @OITW said, hold yourself accountable and your team accountable to bringing the forum along for the ride with your lead up to the experience and your live posting during, reviewing the equipment/apparel/swag pre and post experience and help ensure that everyone has a great time! Also, making sure the event has a future as I mentioned above. Build that relationship with everyone…the more you give, the more you will get and I am not talking about equipment or swag here.

In regards to equipment…in my opinion, your activity around those discussions and being able to participate actively over a long period of time (pre and post event) is very helpful to them and the forum/community here. We are the everyday golfer and everyday golfers buy gear and apparel. As Captain, you need to lead by example and create that environment in which engagement and discussions of the gear and apparel given to us is the norm. People come here to look for why they should buy something and our feedback and participation to that is critical. That’s a big part why the OEMs sponsor these experiences.

I personally know the effort behind the scenes that JB and Morgan put into these experiences. Not only for us, but for the OEMs. He wants it perfect in every way and it’s our job as participants or the Captain to embrace it and give that same effort back in return. That’s not asking much IMO.

Personally, for me, this event holds a special place in my heart. The friendships formed not only with my teammates, but with the OEMs and Team Paradise are something I find hard to describe. There is a special bond that is formed leading up to the experience and then another when everyone is there. I can tell you that if I am leaving my family for half the week, this is the kind of experience I would do it for.

I’d be honored to lead a group of THPers in their Morgan Cup journey. Having participated in a Morgan Cup now certainly gives me perspective and a greater understanding of what the Captaincy means. @OITW did a great job last year and @Canadan before that for Team Hackers and I’d be honored to follow in their footsteps.

You would make a great Captain, Mike!

Follow up questions, as a person with a career, new father, etc is their a time issue that could get in the way for you personally? Meaning between team stuff, club testing, playing and posting?

And could you shorten the pre shot routine? 😀

Back