Follow up questions, as a person with a career, new father, etc is their a time issue that could get in the way for you personally? Meaning between team stuff, club testing, playing and posting?

And could you shorten the pre shot routine? 😀

Here is the thing...my wife knows that golf and this forum are apart of my life. She supports it and loves that I have a hobby. I've been an active contributor here now for many years and I haven't slowed down since becoming a Dad and I still get out at least once a week for golf. Obviously if chosen for Captain, I am all-in. You won't need to worry about my activity level.

Lastly, on the pre shot routine, I knew this would come up and @OITW can attest to this story. After you heckling me at the Morgan Cup this year, I went and watched the opening tee shots and timed each player in my group from when they put the tee in the ground to when they hit the ball. I wasn't the longest person and I was right at 20 seconds.

Here is the thing...my wife knows that golf and this forum are apart of my life. She supports it and loves that I have a hobby. I've been an active contributor here now for many years and I haven't slowed down since becoming a Dad and I still get out at least once a week for golf. Obviously if chosen for Captain, I am all-in. You won't need to worry about my activity level.

Lastly, on the pre shot routine, I knew this would come up and @OITW can attest to this story. After you heckling me at the Morgan Cup this year, I went and watched the opening tee shots and timed each player in my group from when they put the tee in the ground to when they hit the ball. I wasn't the longest person and I was right at 20 seconds.

Here is what I will say about your routine. It’s not the longest, it’s never going to be confused with fast either. With that said when things went slightly downhill it definitely slowed down. Enough to where others noticed.

Does that mean one is not fit for this? Of course not and I consider your a friend, but as a request if it was asked upon for the sake of an event I would assume it wouldn’t be an issue.

Here is what I will say about your routine. It’s not the longest, it’s never going to be confused with fast either. With that said when things went slightly downhill it definitely slowed down. Enough to where others noticed.

Does that mean one is not fit for this? Of course not and I consider your a friend, but as a request if it was asked upon for the sake of an event I would assume it wouldn’t be an issue.
I'll let Mike respond for himself, but now understanding the time constraints of the event I think there are some format items that could be tweaked to dramatically improve the groups' pace of play as well as encouraging everyone to play timely. Things like encouraging playing Ready Golf, even in Match play could make a big difference in the group.

I'll let Mike respond for himself, but now understanding the time constraints of the event I think there are some format items that could be tweaked to dramatically improve the groups' pace of play as well as encouraging everyone to play timely. Things like encouraging playing Ready Golf, even in Match play could make a big difference in the group.
What format items could be tweaked? Shouldn’t Alt Shot be the fastest format ever? I agree ready golf could be done more but when that competition starts people tend to slow way down...

Just a quick note, if I ask a follow up, it is not me being harsh, I hope its not taken that way, but rather just asking questions and learning about people.

Ask away. I’m an open book. Just got off work and love all the comments being posted all day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the feedback. It’s noted and received 👊

I'll let Mike respond for himself, but now understanding the time constraints of the event I think there are several format issues that could be tweaked to dramatically improve the groups' pace of play as well as encouraging everyone to play timely. Things like encouraging playing Ready Golf, even in Match play could make a big difference in the group.
We stressed it Friday night, asked us on the tee box Saturday. Asked again after the round Saturday. Then stressed it again on Sunday mornjng.

While I believe that this course in particular was a bit over the top, on pace for 5 hours for a shamble round of golf should not be a thing.

We stressed it Friday night, asked us on the tee box Saturday. Asked again after the round Saturday. Then stressed it again on Sunday mornjng.

While I believe that this course in particular was a bit over the top, on pace for 5 hours for a shamble round of golf should not be a thing.
Agreeing, not arguing.

Agreeing, not arguing.
I’m genuinely curious what format could be tweaked though. Alt shot and shamble should be really fast, right?

5 hours to golf is rough. I'm so used to just getting out of the cart and hitting, competition or not.

I’m genuinely curious what format could be tweaked though. Alt shot and shamble should be really fast, right?

Not sure if it was encouraged but ready golf would also help. You might consider a recognition for lowest round and fastest round each evening

5 hours to golf is rough. I'm so used to just getting out of the cart and hitting, competition or not.
It wasn’t five hours. There was one round that would have been on pace for that, but guys ended early by closing out.

This was a great group of guys. There were some deliberate routines and there were a ton of 2 minute conversations about shot and club selection, but it’s part of the event. We just need them to do it on the cart on way to ball rather than at ball.

Not sure if it was encouraged but ready golf would also help. You might consider a recognition for lowest round and fastest round each evening
Team event. Can’t punish those in the back for someone that might be slow up front.

and I don’t want to harp on pace though. This was a tremendous event with a great group of guys. We got slow and didn’t recover but it shouldn’t take away from the weekend.

What format items could be tweaked? Shouldn’t Alt Shot be the fastest format ever? I agree ready golf could be done more but when that competition starts people tend to slow way down...
Yes alt shot should fly by. We could suspend the match play rule that enforces the order of play, and warn/penalize groups that are repeatedly not playing ready golf. For TPC LV we could have declared all desert balls to be lateral hazards without the option to play as is (its entertaining and makes good stories, but we lose a ton of time looking for balls then talking about it). We could consider a max score (by group HC) and after that the hole is Halved due to hackers :ROFLMAO: (Shouldn't be able to win a hole with a double bog).

Heck we could have a penalty if you fall more than two shots behind the group a head.

I'm agreeing and think we need to do better, and part of that is ensuring everyone is playing timely but there are other areas too.

Have to remember its still a competition, we aren’t trying to set speed records but there should be no issue playing in 4.5 hours

Team event. Can’t punish those in the back for someone that might be slow up front.

and I don’t want to harp on pace though. This was a tremendous event with a great group of guys. We got slow and didn’t recover but it shouldn’t take away from the weekend.

Thats fair, was just considering options to increase the pace of play. Having this be a competition makes it difficult, the format should greatly help. Given that we are a bunch of amateur, I would think having players on a clock would be a bad idea... The best would be the constant encouragement verbally and subtly to play at a reasonable pace.

Yes alt shot should fly by. We could suspend the match play rule that enforces the order of play, and warn/penalize groups that are repeatedly not playing ready golf. For TPC LV we could have declared all desert balls to be lateral hazards without the option to play as is (its entertaining and makes good stories, but we lose a ton of time looking for balls then talking about it). We could consider a max score (by group HC) and after that the hole is Halved due to hackers :ROFLMAO: (Shouldn't be able to win a hole with a double bog).

Heck we could have a penalty if you fall more than two shots behind the group a head.

I'm agreeing and think we need to do better, and part of that is ensuring everyone is playing timely but there are other areas too.

We Had Max scores.

FWIW if I dropped a penalty on someone for slow play the hatred would have been thick enough to cut. I’m not there to take an experience I took months to plan and ruin someone’s weekend and event with a penalty.

I know it sounds simple. But instead of you are asked to speed up (not you, but meaning anybody) cut your **** in half. Stop the 9 back offs on a pre shot routine. Cut your conversation with your partner out. Get up and hit the ball.

After 12 years of doing this I have learned three things.

Nobody is ever slow.
If they are slow, trust them it’s not them.
And if you ask nicely to speed up, reread rule 1.

With al of that said, we genuinely want people to have the time of their lives and think we do a decent job.

With al of that said, we genuinely want people to have the time of their lives and think we do a decent job.

Ive never heard anyone say they didn’t have the time of their lives on any MC! I’m not sure that’s even possible

It wasn’t five hours. There was one round that would have been on pace for that, but guys ended early by closing out.

This was a great group of guys. There were some deliberate routines and there were a ton of 2 minute conversations about shot and club selection, but it’s part of the event. We just need them to do it on the cart on way to ball rather than at ball.
We needed a designated drink guy for that cart girl on Sunday. Tongue in cheek of course, but she was the slowest at completing an order I believe I have ever seen.

You, CPG, the Forum, and everyone else does a tremendous job making this stuff happen, and it absolutely create life time memories and friendships. Just see the other post of favorite memories, and all the ongoing excitement for this event's continuation!

You guys definitely do. I know you like to throw some jabs here and there. It’s all in good fun and that usually means you like that person pretty ok.

That said, as I mentioned prior, you put a lot into these things for everyone. It never goes unnoticed so thank you.

Lastly, I genuinely appreciate the feedback. I mean that.

We needed a designated drink guy for that cart girl on Sunday. Tongue in cheek of course, but she was the slowest at completing an order I believe I have ever seen.

this is true fact, that had to have been about 8% of my round waiting for her to make a bloody maries. :unsure:

I can see guys being somewhat slower trying their best to discuss a shot, where to play it and to not want to lose. I truly believe that Captains Choice, or scramble is the longest format period.
But shamble? Unless there are two people on a team that are so miss matched that they are no where close to each other all day and having to make more frequent stops at hitting sites, that should be faster.
Alt shot should be quick, only one person hitting a shot, and unless its Bubba and Bryson having to use yardage books, laser and then Gps to just be sure, it should take half the time

this is true fact, that had to have been about 8% of my round waiting for her to make a bloody maries. :unsure:
Hence the shot over the cart...I was tired of waiting :D

Back