Would it be wrong? Nope.
Be active in gear talk and nothing is wrong.
I mean you are talkinga bout what might be a year in time difference.
Sounds like it's going to be important to lead the conversation all year long around the amazing aspects of The Morgan Cup like the club selection, getting used to the equipment, preparing for the Morgan Cup, and sharing the ride with the rest of the forum.

Sounds like it's going to be important to lead the conversation all year long around the amazing aspects of The Morgan Cup like the club selection, getting used to the equipment, preparing for the Morgan Cup, and sharing the ride with the rest of the forum.

I think the easiest way to look at it, is just be an active member of the community as a whole and the rest would fall into place.

In the future, I truly hope I do have what it takes to be a captain of an event as great as the MC, or any event really. Right now though, I don't think I would make a good captain for a couple reasons. Tenure here doesn't matter getting in to events but I feel like it may come in to play when you're leading a team at an event. Knowing what this event means to so many people and the high regard it's held in by the forum means you're not just in it for yourself.

Not having even been to a THP event yet, though I have the honor to go to one of the greatest next year, I truly don't know what it takes at this point in time. I will be learning from two of the best in Matty and Clayton this year about what it means to be selected, to participate and to make sure it carries on. I've already learned that nothing is ever deserved and you're not just there for yourself. While you may be participating in one of the greatest times of your life, you're also an arbiter of making sure you and your team are a real representation of the community and a reason that the event is able to come back again for others to follow in your footsteps.

That's one of the greatest accomplishments as a captain or asscap that I've seen reading through event pages this past year as a member. Carry yourself and your team in a way that you aren't the last ones to experience the greatness.

There are already some people in here that I know would be good captains and I'm still waiting on others to jump in as well. Can't wait to see who gets the nod. Me and the rest of the forum will be behind you!

Last edited:
I think I would have the ability to be a team captain that would make the THP community proud. I would probably start by applying all the qualities I have picked up over the years from THPers, not the least of which is being supportive for both the good and bad times. When I joined this forum, I was a novice golfer. At my first event, I was over 125 the first day, and a 103 the second. Through it all, and even though I was a tremendous scoring drag for my entire team, everyone from all the teams were super supportive and helped me get better during that short weekend. If I am being honest, had things gone the other way, I am not sure I would still be playing golf. Now, I just came off my best three rounds every with a 87, 86 and 90. The idea that I could one day break 90 was beyond my comprehension, and now I am resetting my goals to break 80 at least once next year. Point being, you don't have to be a good golfer to be a good captain, all you have to be is a good person who is willing to put in a bit of extra work. I think I can do both those things.

Last edited:
In speaking with past captains and being a participant in multiple team events w/ THP I know this - it's a ton of work! But the payoff in the end is really worth it and most won't ever get a chance to do this again in any other place. Good luck to everyone who's interested!

There are so many great THPers around here that could be called Captain, and that's what makes this place so great. We interact with so many generous people who share a common bond, in our love of golf. But then when we get into these Experiences and the bond expands for us, to the point where people become friends. Friends who check up on each other, and their families. Send gifts when children are born. Etc. Etc. I have been given so much during my relatively short time here on THP, and I'd love to be able to give back a little more than just my words in reviews. Does that make me material for a captain, probably not, but I'd like to some day be able to give back more than what I currently am. But I do know, from following the Morgan Cup around for the last year, that the bonds formed on those teams is something special, and something that I look forward to one day. This isn't just being a Captain of an event, it's being the Captain of the Morgan Cup!

Would I be a good captain? I'd like to think so. Do I meet the criteria THP is looking for? Doubtful!

Why would I be a good candidate? As shown in the 2019 Morgan Cup, I'm passionate, supportive, logistic-oriented, and get fully immersed in the experience. I believe my teammates would support the idea that I'm easy to get along with, flexible, strategic, and love the game of golf. I learned a lot about live-posting from some of my more experienced teammates and would commit to improving this aspect of my experience. I'd be focused on not only making this the best experience for my teammates, but also for the forum following along. In the lead-up to the Morgan Cup and following the event, I posted long (and sometimes humorous) posts that engaged the community about the event as well as the equipment.

Why am I likely NOT a good candidate? While I read THP every day, I have a tendency to only post when I have either something really good to add or have a humorous comment. As someone who has more of a background in course architecture than equipment, that leads to fewer posts than what most would likely consider as "active" (despite me feeling very active). I've also proven that I'm not great on reviewing my equipment after the initial excitement has worn out. Am I still playing my Morgan Cup clubs? Yep - all 13 of them! Have the Cobra wedges been an absolutely incredible revelation to my game? Yep, they save me 2-3 strokes a round! Have I posted any club reviews recently? Nope. And that's on me. I also got lucky and won a set of Tour Edge clubs as well last year in Fantasy Golf. Since I had just started playing with the Cobras, I gave them to my Dad. While I've posted sparse, periodic updates on his experience with them (he's 66, yet consistently bombing 260 yard drives!), my equipment reviewing track record is a bit suspect. Can I turn that around? Absolutely. Do I plan on turning it around? Yep. Does THP trust me to do that without any proof or track record? Probably not...and rightly so!

So, at the end of the day, I think I'd be a great captain, but I'm well aware of my flaws and plan to work on them over the next year. I love this community, love my fellow Morgan Cup participants, and hope that whoever the captain is continues the incredible run of captains we've had over the past several years!

There are so many great THPers around here that could be called Captain, and that's what makes this place so great. We interact with so many generous people who share a common bond, in our love of golf. But then when we get into these Experiences and the bond expands for us, to the point where people become friends. Friends who check up on each other, and their families. Send gifts when children are born. Etc. Etc. I have been given so much during my relatively short time here on THP, and I'd love to be able to give back a little more than just my words in reviews. Does that make me material for a captain, probably not, but I'd like to some day be able to give back more than what I currently am. But I do know, from following the Morgan Cup around for the last year, that the bonds formed on those teams is something special, and something that I look forward to one day. This isn't just being a Captain of an event, it's being the Captain of the Morgan Cup!

Whether or not you think you are Captain material, you are a great member of the forum, at least in my opinion, and someone who I have enjoyed interacting with over the last year.

Honestly, I think I'd make a great Captain.
I love this forum and I have been more activw lately.

My mental clarity and enjoyment for the game have come back and coming back to the Morgan Cup as Captain would be an honor.
As for being a jerk, I don't think anyone has considered me a jerk! I've always wanted people to feel welcomed to talk to me and hang out with me.

Whether or not you think you are Captain material, you are a great member of the forum, at least in my opinion, and someone who I have enjoyed interacting with over the last year.
Thanks, and right back at you!

I lead quite a few golf trips of buds and have for quite some time. Would be an honor to Captain a Morgan Crew.

Follow up. Do you think you have the time or want to being engaged with the activity and discussions?
A great question, for me personally yes, there's always a bit of idle time that just get's used watching TV, playing an iOS game, or something random just taking up time, I think all of us THPers could find some extra time to increase our levels of engagement and activity. And I think for probably almost all THPers, there's some level of up and down that occurs with your engagement and activity on any platform, social, or forum like THP. And I think being involved in an event, on a team, captain of a team, etc. Would only jump-start that to a higher level than anything current.

While there are so many on here that deserve to be selected as captain, I would love to throw my name in the preeminent hat.

The captain is about many things here, but most importantly it is about helping to organize his/her team throughout the process, make the event as enjoyable as possible, be one of the guys/girls, and at the same time take on a leadership role for the team to lean on before, during, and after the competition while engaging the rest of the community here at THP and at other social media locations, as well as, their home courses. Fun competition is a big part of all THP events, and the Morgan Cup holds an exceptional place within the THP community. Therefore, while fun is at the forefront those chosen and the captain, in particular, want to take being chosen for this event very seriously.

The equipment and reviewing said equipment is the delight of all participants. You are going to receive an entire bag of equipment and scripted clothing like a pro. While not only THP but Cobra/Puma and the entire community here is going to want to hear all about the equipment. What works and what didn't work. The review of the equipment is probably the most important responsibility for anyone chosen to be in the Morgan Cup. I have purchased many items from listening to those here after reviewing said equipment. THP is the first place I come to see and hear the reviews before purchasing something. Myself, I love reviewing equipment, like so many gear heads here. I have had the luxury to review multiple items from The Odyssey Experience, shaft purchases, putters, hybrids, drivers, bags, shoes, and many other items. I believe you should help those that have helped you and I have learned so much from everyone here at THP. Reviewing equipment I purchased or have received is a great way to give back and another way to help those that have been/are in my shoes and love to hear and read all about something before laying down the money to buy it.

Some awesome stuff in this thread so far, great discussions and back and forth
I can and I have on multiple occasions. However, I think that period of me wanting to be a captain is pretty much passed. Enjoyed mostly every minute of it, except for having to call out some players for various reasons. Those convos weren't fun haha
Having played for you in my only Morgan Cup year, I would do my best to try and mimic what you did, you were awesome at it man! Go Team Dot Com.

I know I can do it. This time I can put fourth a better effort now that there aren't other family issues clouding my mind. I have plenty of experience being the captain of my high school golf team & the shared responsibility in college. It's been a while of course but I'm sure it will come back to me. Of course, this time will be quite a different experience with THP'ers on my side. ;)
We're not talking Captain & coke here.... just want to make that clear.... ;) :p

1. I enjoy talking equipment, especially when I have something worthwhile to add from either personal experience playing or tinkering with clubs. Look at how vested I was in discussions especially around my experiences with Arccos Golf. I love sharing honest feedback - both the good and bad.
  2. Time is never an issue when it comes to golf. In fact, now that my wife has beat cancer, I’m looking forward to spending more time geeking out on equipment discussions and meeting up for golf events.
  3. Ive had the opportunity to do a few reviews on THP. My favorite was the 2Undr golf boxer briefs I had to review. I promise that I won’t show as much leg in future discussions. 🤪🤪
Congrats on #2. I love seeing that news

I am not a self promoter, but I would love to captain a Morgan Cup team, especially before I am too old. 😂. I really love this forum dearly and even more, so many of the people I know here. I have a deep love for this game and, therefor, the equipment. I really try to add what I can to the discussions in a positive, but substantive manner. I especially love Cobra equipment. It will always be the equipment that I try first when I am trying to find a particular item for my bag.

As far as not being a jerk, very few people are self aware enough to see that they are, if they are. I just know that I have learned to use some very important words when dealing with others: “I am sorry,” and “I screwed up.” The greatest thing in the world is to build up another person.

I am not a self promoter, but I would love to captain a Morgan Cup team, especially before I am too old. 😂. I really love this forum dearly and even more, so many of the people I know here. I have a deep love for this game and, therefor, the equipment. I really try to add what I can to the discussions in a positive, but substantive manner. I especially love Cobra equipment. It will always be the equipment that I try first when I am trying to find a particular item for my bag.

As far as not being a jerk, very few people are self aware enough to see that they are, if they are. I just know that I have learned to use some very important words when dealing with others: “I am sorry,” and “I screwed up.” The greatest thing in the world is to build up another person.
FWIW, I could definitely see you as a captain of this event. Tons of life experience to navigate the process.

I have to say as a 2018 MC alumnae I would relish the opportunity knowing what I know now from what I knew back in 2018 both about THP MC and Cobra Puma golf. The pride of being #Hackers4Life and sharing that journey with fellow THP'ers would be awesome. I think were I may get caught up is in the equipment piece. I still don't have a lot of technical knowledge, but considerably more than years past. And, I'm much more open to asking questions about things I may not understand, whether specific to tech aspects or materials or profile characteristics and how they benefit particular golf swings etc., and that is all part of the process. This would be a helluva blast.... I do know how to have fun and realize winning isn't measured in having a lower score than my opponent!

Love seeing you jump in! Enjoy your equipment talk, and can sense your love for the MC and for Cobra!

For those just throwing it out there yeah I can do it think about this...and be honest with yourself. Can you make a long term commitment to the equipment? The position itself is a commitment to not only THP but to Cobra as well. This is an event means a lot to many here on the forum, it means a heck of a lot to me and a hell of a lot more to @JB , so think about that before you just randomly say I'll make a good captain because its so much more than a random contest.
I am quoting your post as this same thought was a big part of what has been running through my head all day. The thought of being part of a big event like this and getting to meet some great people and get some great clubs seems like an easy decision. But, this isn't just for a spot on the team. This is to lead them. I had to think about this a bit. I wasn't sure I should throw my hat in or not. Even went home and discussed it with my wife. Would she be ok with the commitment I needed to make to take on the task? Will it impact her or my kids?

At the end of the discussion, she told me to go for it. "When would you ever get a chance like this again?", she says. She's on board. That's half the battle. But, there was still a lot of internal reflection to do.

Do I feel like I am ready to be a team captain for an event that means so much to this community? I don't want to come off as overconfident. But, I have some qualities that I think would lend themselves well to the event. First and foremost is the realization that this is so much more than just being part of the event. It's a commitment. A commitment to the team, to the THP community, and to Cobra. I know that if I were chosen, I would be 100% in. I would do the best that I can to be what THP needs this captain to be. The biggest part being our responsibility to showcase the gear we would be playing. Ensuring our team was all doing their part.

But, for the sake of being honest. The thought of having the responsibility is a little overwhelming. Even just typing this out has me shaking a little bit. It may be a more confident larger personality that belongs in this spot. And I am 100% fine with that. Thankfully, I have had the experience of being part of an amazing experience that had @McLovin be an amazing captain and @mikeg_74 as the Asscap. I have seen what it takes to perform a job like this first hand. And on top of that, there is a big community of past event participants to lean on. As well as a history of excellence that are only a thread search away.

In typical fashion, I have been overthinking about this all day. Running through different scenarios in my head. It's taken me hours to get myself to the point of replying to this thread. Maybe I have too much self doubt. But, you'll never know until you make the jump. I mean, I love talking golf and golf gear. Love this community.

So, can I captain? I think so. Are there people that would likely do a better job than me? I have no doubt. But, if chosen, I would be honored to lead the team.

FWIW, I could definitely see you as a captain of this event. Tons of life experience to navigate the process.
That is very humbling. Thank you.

Similar to what @BigDill said, I think you would be a great captain in this event

Who the eff wouldnt want a crack at this? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

criteria:
1. Be a 2021 Albatross Club Member - CHECKKKKKKKK
2. Be active on the THP Forum - DOUBLE CHECKKKKK
3. Talk about equipment - CHECK. Although i do the best i can.....i enjoy discussing gear that interests me. A little less when im not as interested but will still stick my nose in just to see if theres something that could reel me back in. Its a work in progress and ive come a long way since day one, when i had no clue. lol.....
4. Don’t be a jerk - ;) always working on my tact....sometimes bluntness and brutal honesty dont come through in text. Ive learned alot about myself since joining THP and my fellow THPers have hopefully learned a lot about me. Bottom line, be honest about the gear and equipment. Be kind and respect your fellow THP family. Have fun. The rest will fall into place.

You never know if youll be a good captain or leader until youre given the chance. Do it your own way but dont ignore the previous captains and what made them each successful. OWN IT!!!! Count me in. Waaay Wayyyyyyy in
Are you bucking for another shot at the title.... @jdtox may be licking his chops

I am quoting your post as this same thought was a big part of what has been running through my head all day. The thought of being part of a big event like this and getting to meet some great people and get some great clubs seems like an easy decision. But, this isn't just for a spot on the team. This is to lead them. I had to think about this a bit. I wasn't sure I should throw my hat in or not. Even went home and discussed it with my wife. Would she be ok with the commitment I needed to make to take on the task? Will it impact her or my kids?

At the end of the discussion, she told me to go for it. "When would you ever get a chance like this again?", she says. She's on board. That's half the battle. But, there was still a lot of internal reflection to do.

Do I feel like I am ready to be a team captain for an event that means so much to this community? I don't want to come off as overconfident. But, I have some qualities that I think would lend themselves well to the event. First and foremost is the realization that this is so much more than just being part of the event. It's a commitment. A commitment to the team, to the THP community, and to Cobra. I know that if I were chosen, I would be 100% in. I would do the best that I can to be what THP needs this captain to be. The biggest part being our responsibility to showcase the gear we would be playing. Ensuring our team was all doing their part.

But, for the sake of being honest. The thought of having the responsibility is a little overwhelming. Even just typing this out has me shaking a little bit. It may be a more confident larger personality that belongs in this spot. And I am 100% fine with that. Thankfully, I have had the experience of being part of an amazing experience that had @McLovin be an amazing captain and @mikeg_74 as the Asscap. I have seen what it takes to perform a job like this first hand. And on top of that, there is a big community of past event participants to lean on. As well as a history of excellence that are only a thread search away.

In typical fashion, I have been overthinking about this all day. Running through different scenarios in my head. It's taken me hours to get myself to the point of replying to this thread. Maybe I have too much self doubt. But, you'll never know until you make the jump. I mean, I love talking golf and golf gear. Love this community.

So, can I captain? I think so. Are there people that would likely do a better job than me? I have no doubt. But, if chosen, I would be honored to lead the team.

Much better said than me (or is it I). I went with humor but this pretty much sums it up.

Back