I don't think that I am necessarily ready to be a captain, but I do know that I would try my absolute best, and am grateful for the encouragement to enter from my AZ crew. Here are my thoughts on myself:
  • I learned a LOT from my 2019 MC. A lot of things I wish I had done better. I didn't post a lot about my lead up to the event, it seemed like a competitive advantage to be tight-lipped. Well that was STUPID. Bring everyone along for the ride. I think a lot of people would have enjoyed following all the work I put in.
  • Speaking of work beforehand, my teammates saw the hours and hours of work I did. I felt like that was a responsibility to my team, to improve and be ready. Well, I know I would put in just as much work as a captain, but different work. Work to ensure everyone had a great event, made the best of it, that we all make the forum and CPG proud, and that we put our best foot forward to continue the legacy.
  • I will admit, I was a terrible live-poster in 2019. I think many saw that I was pretty overwhelmed all weekend long, first competitive golf, the highest cap there, my head was spinning. But it settled down, and I would love an opportunity to be better.
  • One thing I think many people will vouch for, I am 100% all in on Cobra, I do my best to spread knowledge about their gear both here and other corners of the internet. I am not great at traditional club "reviews" since I don't always feel confident in my absolute opinions. But I do try to help as many people as I can with the knowledge I do have. I am there in every ONE Length thread, as the only OL guy in 2019 I feel extra responsible to help there. And yes, other Cobra threads too! And anything else I have knowledge about. But I think we all know OL is where I make the biggest impact. I know for a fact that I have "sold" quite a few clubs both here and elsewhere, which I think is a critical aspect for CPG.
  • I have seen the great examples by Dan and Alex, who made our event and our team truly special. Our group chat is still active every day, it's been an amazing experience to not just have that weekend, but create those relationships that really last.
  • Lastly, I love another opportunity to continue to "return the favor" to THP and CPG. I had never golfed more than 5 times a year until I found THP and Cobra's ONE Length. But that changed in 2018 and hasn't stopped since. Despite missing almost 12 months shortly after MC 2019 due to a wrist issue, I've still played over 30 rounds both last year and this year, I've continued to make club purchases (more Cobra!), and I just am so thrilled to enjoy playing as much as I do.
So again, I don't think I am ready to captain, but I know I would do everything I could to ensure a great event, a great team, and a proud forum and sponsor.

Last edited:
Wow, what a beauty of a thread. A lot of great posts and some well thought out responses. One thing that is for certain everyone knows how special the Morgan Cup is and there are a lot of great candidates for @JB and the crew to consider. Would I like the chance to keep @jdtox singles steak alive and be on a winning Hackers team, of course I would but I know there are a lot of guys that are more qualified than myself. I look forward to hearing who @JB announces as the next captain. Good luck everyone

The Morgan Cup. I’ve been letting those three words linger. Those words have a particular weight, and represent among many things both the passion and labor of love for the hosts and participants alike. The Morgan Cup has been living rent free in my head for a couple weeks now as the 2021 event has been announced. It’s in incredible proposition.

Could I Captain? I believe so. Our hobbies are our passions (if you are doing it right!) and some of my most memorable experiences in life have been created from deeply sharing those passions with others. If I may indulge - outside of golf, I am an engineer and former racing enthusiast. In grad school, I joined the Formula SAE race car program, and after a year of getting my feet wet, I was chosen by my team members to lead as Captain the next year. This racing bug led to dirt bike racing. I’ve been in the same offroad racing club for the last 16 years, and have served as Vice President (again elected by peers) for the last 6. I didn’t have any particular qualifications coming into these situations, only by pushing my comfort zone and deeply indulging my passions was I able to create such lasting, positive experiences and lifelong friends.

How does the above analogy apply to the The Morgan Cup? Well, I came to THP a newbie, and have participated more and more over time, ready to dive in. I’m passionate about my hobbies, and golf tops the list. I’m a mechanical engineer and love the engineering technology aspects of the equipment, and how they translate to the course. I love reading and contributing to equipment discussion here on THP. I feel pretty comfortable putting my best into representing THP, CPG, and the Morgan Cup. Over time I have developed layer upon layer of respect for this forum, our members, and Cobra Puma Golf.

This is one of those dare to put your best effort forward opportunities. Being honest, with a couple of kiddos I know that this role would challenge time management. It’s taken me several years just to get to the point that I feel like I can keep pace with everything happening on THP, much less lead it! However, I have faith in the time and passion that I can contribute.

All said, this is the sort of opportunity I would prefer to gravitate toward, rather than away from. I’m not the most outgoing or conversational member, but continually make efforts to leave my imprint a positive one here on THP, to take an interest in others enjoyment of the forum. and challenge myself to contribute more. I’d love the chance to lead Team Hackers and represent the very best of THP and Cobra Puma Golf.

Could I? absolutely! Should I? That is a different story. The thought of it alone brings me jitters because I’ve been around long enough to TRULY understand this event and it’s meaning, what it stands for and the impact that it has had and will continue to have on and off THP.

The Morgan Cup. I’ve been letting those three words linger. Those words have a particular weight, and represent among many things both the passion and labor of love for the hosts and participants alike. The Morgan Cup has been living rent free in my head for a couple weeks now as the 2021 event has been announced. It’s in incredible proposition.

Could I Captain? I believe so. Our hobbies are our passions (if you are doing it right!) and some of my most memorable experiences in life have been created from deeply sharing those passions with others. If I may indulge - outside of golf, I am an engineer and former racing enthusiast. In grad school, I joined the Formula SAE race car program, and after a year of getting my feet wet, I was chosen by my team members to lead as Captain the next year. This racing bug led to dirt bike racing. I’ve been in the same offroad racing club for the last 16 years, and have served as Vice President (again elected by peers) for the last 6. I didn’t have any particular qualifications coming into these situations, only by pushing my comfort zone and deeply indulging my passions was I able to create such lasting, positive experiences and lifelong friends.

How does the above analogy apply to the The Morgan Cup? Well, I came to THP a newbie, and have participated more and more over time, ready to dive in. I’m passionate about my hobbies, and golf tops the list. I’m a mechanical engineer and love the engineering technology aspects of the equipment, and how they translate to the course. I love reading and contributing to equipment discussion here on THP. I feel pretty comfortable putting my best into representing THP, CPG, and the Morgan Cup. Over time I have developed layer upon layer of respect for this forum, our members, and Cobra Puma Golf.

This is one of those dare to put your best effort forward opportunities. Being honest, with a couple of kiddos I know that this role would challenge time management. It’s taken me several years just to get to the point that I feel like I can keep pace with everything happening on THP, much less lead it! However, I have faith in the time and passion that I can contribute.

All said, this is the sort of opportunity I would prefer to gravitate toward, rather than away from. I’m not the most outgoing or conversational member, but continually make efforts to leave my imprint a positive one here on THP, to take an interest in others enjoyment of the forum. and challenge myself to contribute more. I’d love the chance to lead Team Hackers and represent the very best of THP and Cobra Puma Golf.

I feel the same as you. I unfortunately did not express my sentiment as explicitlly as you however I couldn’t agree more. Well said my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck everyone.

Yes I could. I have the 4 qualifications covered and, through participation in numerous THP Experiences, I have learned to lighten up and have fun on the course while still playing the best I can instead of being uptight and too serious in the heat of competition. I would certainly pass and encourage these learned positive qualities on to my team.

I think I would make a really good Captain, I meet all of the stated criteria. I’ve participated in events & have seen multiple different styles/ approaches to Captaincy. I would take these learnings and apply them to my approach.

The Morgan Cup is an event that has always been special to me, and would be honored to be selected.

And as a follow up let me clarify I play fast:LOL:

I am not a self promoter, but I would love to captain a Morgan Cup team, especially before I am too old. 😂. I really love this forum dearly and even more, so many of the people I know here. I have a deep love for this game and, therefor, the equipment. I really try to add what I can to the discussions in a positive, but substantive manner. I especially love Cobra equipment. It will always be the equipment that I try first when I am trying to find a particular item for my bag.

As far as not being a jerk, very few people are self aware enough to see that they are, if they are. I just know that I have learned to use some very important words when dealing with others: “I am sorry,” and “I screwed up.” The greatest thing in the world is to build up another person.
You would make a solid captain Craig!!!

There are so many incredible candidates on the thread, hell in the forum as a whole. Is such an incredible opportunity, I can't wait to see who will get the tap on the shoulder - a true life changing moment!

There are a lot of good choices in here, which is why this community is so great for us gearheads. Everyone loves to talk equipment and 99% of the times we aren't jerks (nobodies perfect LOL!)

I don't think that I am necessarily ready to be a captain, but I do know that I would try my absolute best, and am grateful for the encouragement to enter from my AZ crew. Here are my thoughts on myself:
  • I learned a LOT from my 2019 MC. A lot of things I wish I had done better. I didn't post a lot about my lead up to the event, it seemed like a competitive advantage to be tight-lipped. Well that was STUPID. Bring everyone along for the ride. I think a lot of people would have enjoyed following all the work I put in.
  • Speaking of work beforehand, my teammates saw the hours and hours of work I did. I felt like that was a responsibility to my team, to improve and be ready. Well, I know I would put in just as much work as a captain, but different work. Work to ensure everyone had a great event, made the best of it, that we all make the forum and CPG proud, and that we put our best foot forward to continue the legacy.
  • I will admit, I was a terrible live-poster in 2019. I think many saw that I was pretty overwhelmed all weekend long, first competitive golf, the highest cap there, my head was spinning. But it settled down, and I would love an opportunity to be better.
  • One thing I think many people will vouch for, I am 100% all in on Cobra, I do my best to spread knowledge about their gear both here and other corners of the internet. I am not great at traditional club "reviews" since I don't always feel confident in my absolute opinions. But I do try to help as many people as I can with the knowledge I do have. I am there in every ONE Length thread, as the only OL guy in 2019 I feel extra responsible to help there. And yes, other Cobra threads too! And anything else I have knowledge about. But I think we all know OL is where I make the biggest impact. I know for a fact that I have "sold" quite a few clubs both here and elsewhere, which I think is a critical aspect for CPG.
  • I have seen the great examples by Dan and Alex, who made our event and our team truly special. Our group chat is still active every day, it's been an amazing experience to not just have that weekend, but create those relationships that really last.
  • Lastly, I love another opportunity to continue to "return the favor" to THP and CPG. I had never golfed more than 5 times a year until I found THP and Cobra's ONE Length. But that changed in 2018 and hasn't stopped since. Despite missing almost 12 months shortly after MC 2019 due to a wrist issue, I've still played over 30 rounds both last year and this year, I've continued to make club purchases (more Cobra!), and I just am so thrilled to enjoy playing as much as I do.
So again, I don't think I am ready to captain, but I know I would do everything I could to ensure a great event, a great team, and a proud forum and sponsor.

Follow up question. You mention text chat threads daily, over the THP Forum, so do you think activity level is there to lead by example?

I want to add something to this thread. We see a lot “rep the brand” or other things like that. I can say once and again that is not something we are looking for. Just looking for meaningful engagement and equipment discussions. Repping the brand is drive by posting of simple reviews with a notion of positivity. That is not what this is about. If you want to rep a brand, do it for the THP Brand through conversation.

We're not talking Captain & coke here.... just want to make that clear.... ;) :p
No that comes After the round when the Team & I are toasting Our Victory! ;)

Bumping this because it deserves to be on page 1 all day long!

Follow up question. You mention text chat threads daily, over the THP Forum, so do you think activity level is there to lead by example?
That’s a great question because I don’t post a ton. I do try to be active in areas where I feel I have something to add, whether it’s feedback on clubs or answering questions. I have always struggled to get into the other, more every day topic areas on forums. I know I’m not much of a conversation creator, but more of a continue-er.

This is one of the areas most making me feel that I’m not really ready, but another thing for me to be better at. I appreciate you asking the question, and this whole topic is something great for introspection.

That’s a great question because I don’t post a ton. I do try to be active in areas where I feel I have something to add, whether it’s feedback on clubs or answering questions. I have always struggled to get into the other, more every day topic areas on forums. I know I’m not much of a conversation creator, but more of a continue-er.

This is one of the areas most making me feel that I’m not really ready, but another thing for me to be better at. I appreciate you asking the question, and this whole topic is something great for introspection.

No sweat, always trying to ask questions, as we learn as much as others do.

I can say with utmost confidence that if you need a guy to come in and steer the ship straight into an iceberg, I'm your guy.

I couldn't organize a 2 car funeral, and I couldn't lead the US Army through a wet paper bag.

I have played with Armygolf a few times, and I will attest to his comments!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Just a quick note, if I ask a follow up, it is not me being harsh, I hope its not taken that way, but rather just asking questions and learning about people.

Just a quick note, if I ask a follow up, it is not me being harsh, I hope its not taken that way, but rather just asking questions and learning about people.
So more like this:
1606926958049.gif

And less like this:
1606927008516.gif

Amazing opportunity, and getting the chance to lead a group of THP'ers for the weekend even better.

I personally would be wanting to follow but if the opportunity arose I'd absolutely give it my best shot.

Back