Could you do single length irons exclusively for one season?

I think if there was no cost to me, I would do it for a year and report on progress...

FWIW, I'm approaching a year of OL, and I was gonna do a pretty big write up for it. It won't be what you're looking for, since I was very on and off again golfer before, so there's not really any before data other than approximate scores. But I think it will still be interesting, as I'm on a new life as a golfer. For example, I played more rounds in 2018 (starting in March!) than I have total since junior high (~16 years). I would definitely credit much of that to OL, as it's allowed me to improve and enjoy the game infinitely more.

I love it man, i really do. I'm happy you took the plunge on it. Its going to be a fun follow

Go OL through 9 and get standard PW as well as other wedges.

I was thinking the same thing with one length down to 8I and then standard 9 and down. The F7 one length 5I is still the best 5I I have played.

I plan on making my next purchase a set of one lengths. I've always liked the idea but it wasn't really an option when I was playing 10 years ago. I hit 7/8 better than anything else in the bag so why not give it a go.

I went with Edel SL irons at the beginning of 2018 so have had them pretty much bang on 12 months.

My feedback is that it didn't take me as long to get used to them clubs as I thought it might, when fitted we worked hard to ensure that the distances were comparable and even the short irons were very similar. After that you have to just trust that and ignore the fact that the shaft length is longer.

I noticed an immediate improvement in terms of hitting longer irons, I have dropped a hybrid now as I happily reach for the 4 iron with confidence rather than fear! The longer irons are also very easy to launch, my swing speed is probably around average, possibly a little quicker however I am definitely not in the 'power hitter' bracket!! Again, I think it depends on the fitting as the shafts change across the short, mid and long irons to give the different flights etc.

I started off with 3 - 7 iron and then played with my original 8, 9 and PW. A combination of hitting the SL irons really well and my OCD wanting a complete set I ordered the additional clubs to complete the set. As above, once you get used to the longer shaft length and trust it's not going to send you PW 170yds it's easy. I also upgraded my existing wedges.....

Attachments

• IMG_2260.jpg
    IMG_2260.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2261.jpg
    IMG_2261.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    319.6 KB · Views: 0
I went with Edel SL irons at the beginning of 2018 so have had them pretty much bang on 12 months.

My feedback is that it didn't take me as long to get used to them clubs as I thought it might, when fitted we worked hard to ensure that the distances were comparable and even the short irons were very similar. After that you have to just trust that and ignore the fact that the shaft length is longer.

I noticed an immediate improvement in terms of hitting longer irons, I have dropped a hybrid now as I happily reach for the 4 iron with confidence rather than fear! The longer irons are also very easy to launch, my swing speed is probably around average, possibly a little quicker however I am definitely not in the 'power hitter' bracket!! Again, I think it depends on the fitting as the shafts change across the short, mid and long irons to give the different flights etc.

I started off with 3 - 7 iron and then played with my original 8, 9 and PW. A combination of hitting the SL irons really well and my OCD wanting a complete set I ordered the additional clubs to complete the set. As above, once you get used to the longer shaft length and trust it's not going to send you PW 170yds it's easy. I also upgraded my existing wedges.....

They're some lovely looking clubs. Are all the wedges one length now as well?
That's the one area i'm concerned about.

They're some lovely looking clubs. Are all the wedges one length now as well?
That's the one area i'm concerned about.

The PW is single length, the wedges are traditional iron length. I did get fitted for the SW and it was really easy to hit, again would take a bit of getting used to but I had no difficulty after 30 mins of bunker play. The only reason I didn't go for it was that I needed new wedges anyway and I really liked the more traditional ones Edel offered.

The PW is single length, the wedges are traditional iron length. I did get fitted for the SW and it was really easy to hit, again would take a bit of getting used to but I had no difficulty after 30 mins of bunker play. The only reason I didn't go for it was that I needed new wedges anyway and I really liked the more traditional ones Edel offered.

I have the Wishons (@36.75 length) and after going back and forth with different configurations (and length options) I also stop at PW as I still like using the 50 around the green and 56 out of bunkers. Been drooling over the Edel's but really feel a proper fitting is needed before committing to dropping the cash needed for them.

I absolutely would try it for a season. I have always enjoyed hitting my 7 iron and think the adjustment wouldn't be too concerning for me. When I am in the market for new irons, Cobra OL will be getting a serious look.

I definitely could, especially if they were built to an 8 iron length. I bet my iron game would improve immediately.

I think it would be a fun experiment, but it's not something I'd probably do. It would take some form of substantial proof to prove its beneficial for me before I'd drop a G top try it out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

To answer the thread question, I know it's possible to game single length irons for a full season because I did it for a year and a half with Cobra F7 One Lengths. The question really is whether or not you can easily switch to OL's, and then back again to variable length irons. I think it ultimately depends on your stance more than anything. Typically, I play everything but the driver in the center of my stance since that is normally where my downswing intersects the ground. That being the case, the only really difference for me is the distance I stand from the ball (which of course varies with the VL irons).

2 years ago, when the F7 OL's were first introduced, I decided to attempt a change to a single plane swing. That's what drove my decision to buy the F7's. For 6 months, I bounced back and forth between VL and OL irons until I made the decision to play the OL's exclusively. All in all, I had no issues playing the OL's over the last 1.5 years. Earlier this year, I got the bug for some new irons and realized I was limiting my choices playing OL irons. I decided to test to see if I could return to VL's. I started the switch with my Pings and then changed to my Mizunos. My problem was that I had drifted into a badly distorted combination of a single plane and variable plane swing. Once I realized that, I started practicing and doing the drills for the single plane swing, and immediately started striking the ball much better (with all my clubs). What little testing I've been able to do since I returned to the single plane swing has shown there's little difference between my Ping and Mizuno variable length irons, as well as little difference with my Cobra OL's. If I were to come to a conclusion right now (which would be haphazard at best), I would say I'm fine playing OL or VL, but I'd probably stay with VL. There are 2 caveats to that, however. (1) As I said, I play all my irons in the center of my stance, and for those that don't, the switch might be harder, and (2) I'm comfortable playing 22* and 25* hybrids, so I have bypassed some of the reasons for switching to OL's (ability to play less lofted irons).

That's my take, for what it's worth at this time.

I'm actually about 90% certain I'm going to give it a go for next year. The only problem I've got is that I don't have a fitter around here that comes highly recommended. So I'll most likely self fit and see how it goes.

Quoting myself, because this is gonna happen this year.

Have my GG data from the Rogues set aside to compare to at the end of the season. The first few interactions with the SL set up have been promising, although hitting from mats at the range so there is that variable. My first round of the season is slated for this Sunday and I'm looking forward to getting this test underway.

Quoting myself, because this is gonna happen this year.

Have my GG data from the Rogues set aside to compare to at the end of the season. The first few interactions with the SL set up have been promising, although hitting from mats at the range so there is that variable. My first round of the season is slated for this Sunday and I'm looking forward to getting this test underway.

Play well Sunday. Please let us know how it goes.

Not sure if people are looking at F8 or F9 but the standard F8 set is 5-GW which is probably what I would go with and then a traditional SW/LW I haven't played seriously due to work for a little over 3 years and am seriously looking at this as there are time when practice time is limited and would rather focus on putting and short game than practicing 6 different swings on the range.

I would think the Hybrids will be one length with a 44.5 inch driver and a standard 3 wood. What are some of you doing in regards to hybrids and woods??

Not sure if people are looking at F8 or F9 but the standard F8 set is 5-GW which is probably what I would go with and then a traditional SW/LW I haven't played seriously due to work for a little over 3 years and am seriously looking at this as there are time when practice time is limited and would rather focus on putting and short game than practicing 6 different swings on the range.

I would think the Hybrids will be one length with a 44.5 inch driver and a standard 3 wood. What are some of you doing in regards to hybrids and woods??

I went F9 in 4-PW.... keeping my standard length wedges and my fairway wood setup as they worked well for me over last season.

Holy crap those are nice looking clubs!

btw, yes I would definitely game SL for a season, and more if they worked out, I believe in the concept and someday if/when I get a second set of irons it will be SL.

I could do it, and if money was no object I would certainly give it a go

The only adjustment I would forsee is if the yardages were different to my current clubs, so I would need to take that into account, but that would potentially be the same with any new set of clubs

My sentiments exactly. I play just fine with my traditional set. Wouldn't spend the money on one length, unless money wasn't an issue.

My buddy bought a set, but the main reason for him to purchase one length clubs is because he's a large fellow (6'2" and 350+ lbs). When he hits the shorter irons, he's completely hunched over, as in his upper body is almost parallel to the ground. He also has the cash to throw around. LOL

I've committed myself to OL for my irons for this season. I'm setting my F6's with Recoil shafts (the best set of irons I've played in years) aside in hopes for more consistency in my ball striking. I'm not so much concerned about distance as I am accuracy and lowering the number of bad shots.

I've chosen to go with F9 OL. I'll be playing steel shafts to start, 4-GW. Once I have a gauge on distance and gaps I will address the SW and LW. I'm leaning towards standard length in those as it's not often they are full swing clubs for me and I typically am consistent with them. I'll be deciding between 54* or 56*, and 58* or 60*.

I have thought about OL irons off/on for some time now since my iron play hasn't been the best last year! The only thing that I keep thinking about is if the long irons would be shorter and the short irons be longer, distance wise? I don't need my longer/mid irons to be shorter than the VL set so I ponder!!

I think I could switch back tomorrow and it would only take a round or 2 to get used to the variable length.

I really like my one length irons. I think Cobra has the best OL irons on the market and from reading on here there was a noticeable improvement from F7 to the F8s and I know how excited Mike and Jose were about the F9 line.

If you do decide to try OL you gotta buy into it for more than 1 or 2 rounds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Never is a strong word but I would never try them. All the tweaking that Dechambeau had to do with his wedges for years to get them right makes me believe that getting the 9 iron through wedge dialed in is not something I want to make time for. 75% of my iron shots are with those short irons and they might be the strongest part of my game.

Never is a strong word but I would never try them. All the tweaking that Dechambeau had to do with his wedges for years to get them right makes me believe that getting the 9 iron through wedge dialed in is not something I want to make time for. 75% of my iron shots are with those short irons and they might be the strongest part of my game.

It’s not for everyone that’s for sure. BUT you can order just about whatever you want set wise. As I mentioned earlier, I’m keeping my wedges and woods standard and rolling with 4-PW in the OL lineup. You don’t have to go full Bryson to garner the benefits....

Like I said it’s not for everyone and you’re a much better golfer than myself. I just wanted to make sure you were aware that you don’t have to implement it throughout the entire bag.

So looking at specs I noticed the 4-5-6 iron gaps are 3 degrees and 6-7-8-9-PW-GW are 5 degrees in the Forged Tec Why couldn't you bend the 5 iron one degree stronger and have even gaps.

Back